Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's been so long I don't but it's out there you can find the stuff.

If you rewatch the SB and look at the defensive alignments of the Patriots they were all but ignoring the run. Had Martz started pounding Faulk like he did in Philly the Patriots would have been forced to drop the 7 DB alignments and then they would have had to face the Rams with a conventional defense.

When they played mid season that same year in cold weather Warner lit them up because there was the threat of the run from Faulk. It was a kind sloppy game on both sides because of the field and the weather but the Patriots weren't dropping 7 DB's into coverage and ignoring the run.

I don't buy into the conspiracy about the Patriots being red white and blue and that's why they won. Nobody gave a rats azz about them back then and the Rams were the darlings of the NFL.
And when the Rams started running the Patriots would have stopped playing pass defense. That's why I don't agree that going away from what we were doing would magically work.

Plus, whether you want to agree there was a conspiracy or not, the reason the pass defense was working was because the receivers were getting mugged and the referees were ignoring it. So I don't doubt the same refs would start calling imaginary holding if they needed to as well.

As far as the "no one cared about the Patriots" thing... the remark about "Wouldn't it be great if a team called the Patriots won the Super Bowl after 9/11" was flying around at the time. Pissed me the hell off because it's not like the Rams were Al Qaeda's team.

That makes more sense if the team only wants to get rid of the guaranteed money, but if that's the case, this makes little sense:
Such a scenario could enrage Bears fans, but to get a team to take on so much guaranteed money that could be used on valuable free agents and contract extensions, the Bears just might have to compensate a team with more than Cutler to do it.

Salary cap room shouldn't be affected by this move (as we just discussed) so this could only be talking about real money on hand... and if the Bears are lacking enough real money to sign a team with Cutler's contract, that's flat out incompetent.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well IMO if you hold Martz responsible for the loss of that Super Bowl AND you hate and blame Belicek for stealing the game ,then you're asking too much, it can't really be both now can it ? Martz was supposed to know his walk throughs had been taped ?
IN SPITE OF Beliceks cheating Martz had the score tied HIS WAY and it was Lovies defense that failed to hold the Pats from kicking that FG

I mean in the end isn't it a testament to Martz ability that even though his game plan was stolen he still had his team in position to win?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Salary cap room shouldn't be affected by this move (as we just discussed) so this could only be talking about real money on hand... and if the Bears are lacking enough real money to sign a team with Cutler's contract, that's flat out incompetent.

Salary cap room is affected...by $15.5 million. If they cut him, they eat the $15.5 million unless he has an offset clause which makes things a little more complicated. And they eat the $4 million they already paid him.

So it's a difference of $15.5 million in cap space if they trade him instead of releasing him.(of course, again noting that an offset clause would change things)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think things will be as dire as they're being made out to be. In the end, the Bears will get a decent enough offer for Cutler and trade him.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I wasn't focusing on the Bears fans enraged part, but the rest of it.

As far as I know, nothing can relieve the cap space. The Bears can either cut or trade him, and either way take the same cap hit, or they can keep him. Therefore, if we're talking about a trade giving the Bears money that can be used on free agents and contract extensions, we MUST be talking about real money on hand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't focusing on the Bears fans enraged part, but the rest of it.

As far as I know, nothing can relieve the cap space. The Bears can either cut or trade him, and either way take the same cap hit, or they can keep him. Therefore, if we're talking about a trade giving the Bears money that can be used on free agents and contract extensions, we MUST be talking about real money on hand.

This is incorrect.
Cutting Cap Hit: $19.5 million
Trading Cap Hit: $4 million

Boffo97

Name
Dave
OK, that's the clarification I was looking for.

Maybe I'm dumb, but that just wasn't clicking for me. Thanks.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Man, Cutler could make a huge difference for the Rams with just his arm strength. Hill continues to float passes and miss deep shots that are there for big plays.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Man, Cutler could make a huge difference for the Rams with just his arm strength. Hill continues to float passes and miss deep shots that are there for big plays.

Yep Hill has no deep accuracy. Whenever there is an open receiver deep the ball is usually underthrown. Every now and then it is overthrown. Today Gives was uncovered and Hill almost botched it with a badly underthrown ball. Pathetic. Give me Cutler as our backup/starter to go with Sam as our backup/starter. Maybe between the two of them they can eek out more than 7 wins in a season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This deal makes the most sense for both sides, IMO.

Cutler apparently wants to come back to Tennessee and the Titans should have a draft selection high enough for the Bears to obtain Mariota or Winston.

A swap of first round selections might even do the trick.

That makes no sense. Why would the Titans want to trade away a pick that could land them Marriota or Winston in favor of Cutler? Cutler has a lot of on field NFL baggage that comes with him. I'd take Marriota or Winston over Cutler just for the chance that one of them pans out. (I think Winston is most likely to succeed, unless Marriota gets into the right system.)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This deal makes the most sense for both sides, IMO.

Cutler apparently wants to come back to Tennessee and the Titans should have a draft selection high enough for the Bears to obtain Mariota or Winston.

A swap of first round selections might even do the trick.

A swap of first rounders? I'm not buying that one.