Brandin Cooks Traded to Houston Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
why does it scare you? it's only accounting.

it should make you happy because the rams will have so much more money to spend next season and in the future.

Happy for the future yes, because I think this needed to happen, why procrastinate and risk losing trade value. But still, 23% of our cap budget spent on players that cant help us win games in 2020? I dont see how that doesn't raise concern regarding how competitive we'll be this year.

Psycho_X

Legend
A couple things to note which have been mentioned already but I think are important.

-Cook and Gurley does hamstring us this year and a little in the future but these moves are all about making room for Ramsey and Kupp contracts.

-Our offense actually got better towards the end of last year without Cooks and using two TE sets and showing Higbee's true potential/

-McVay has said (all though he says this every offseason it seems) that he wants to get Gerald Everett more involved in the passing game.

-With these cuts we'll need to get a lot of cheap talent on this roster now. So when thinking about all of the above points I don't see us trading up nor do I see us necessarily taking a WR early. Sure if someone they like a lot drops it could happen but I'd bet on lots of trade downs like Snead loves to do without an emphasis on WR over any other position.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Happy for the future yes, because I think this needed to happen, why procrastinate and risk losing trade value. But still, 23% of our cap budget spent on players that cant help us win games in 2020? I dont see how that doesn't raise concern regarding how competitive we'll be this year.
maybe the Rams don't think there will even be a 2020 season

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A couple things to note which have been mentioned already but I think are important.

-Cook and Gurley does hamstring us this year and a little in the future but these moves are all about making room for Ramsey and Kupp contracts.

-Our offense actually got better towards the end of last year without Cooks and using two TE sets and showing Higbee's true potential/

-McVay has said (all though he says this every offseason it seems) that he wants to get Gerald Everett more involved in the passing game.

-With these cuts we'll need to get a lot of cheap talent on this roster now. So when thinking about all of the above points I don't see us trading up nor do I see us necessarily taking a WR early. Sure if someone they like a lot drops it could happen but I'd bet on lots of trade downs like Snead loves to do without an emphasis on WR over any other position.

Don’t forget The Rams can also move up into the FIRST Rd!!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I believe I called this boys lol. Reynolds and a rook. Now my question to someone with cap knowledge is if the trade is done but completed post June 1st do the rams save 12.5 million as was being reported and can that even be done?

My next dart I'm going to throw out there is the Trent Williams dart which was a part of this plan when I mentioned it. Now I know part 2 is a long shot but might as well ride the lol

We can fall back on Antonio Brown just in case

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man, it's not like these are the 2009 rams.

they're loaded on offense. they have two of the best d players in the league. have a good dline, a good secondary. not sure what they have at lber.

they look pretty competitive to me.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

they're loaded on offense. they have two of the best d players in the league. have a good dline, a good secondary. not sure what they have at lber.

You mean the young wonderkind offensive minded head coach?

We may see a wonderkind defense?

I love it

MachS

Hall of Fame

You're right this isnt the 2009 Rams, there's a lot more talent on this roster. But last year we were "loaded" on offense too, dont get fooled. Nothing matters unless the OL improves. And there will be more pressure on Goff than ever before to carry this team. Coming off a horrible SB performance, following that up with another bad season, and now we'll be forced to reduce the help and talent around him. That is a tough ask IMO based on what we've seen from him over 4 years now.

Turducken

Starter

I'll be satisfied with some 9-7 BS for the next season or two. Our championship window reopens in 2022.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Does anyone know how much Cooks will cost our cap this year and next?

This is so confusing!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Love this deal. Cooks is solid, but the concussions have him close to the end of his career. Getting a 2nd for him is better than I had expected. Now Josh Reynolds gets more chances to show what he can do, so far he's been solid for us when given the chance.

Solid move.
Reynolds is a football player and he puts in the work. I am not worried about him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right this isnt the 2009 Rams, there's a lot more talent on this roster. But last year we were "loaded" on offense too, dont get fooled. Nothing matters unless the OL improves. And there will be more pressure on Goff than ever before to carry this team. Coming off a horrible SB performance, following that up with another bad season, and now we'll be forced to reduce the help and talent around him. That is a tough ask IMO based on what we've seen from him over 4 years now.

goff looked fantastic when mcvay moved from his 11 personnel to the two te set at the end of the season. the problem last season was the oline wasn't good enough for mcvay to run his favoured 11 personnel grouping. hopefully trading cooks away shows that the 2te set is here to stay.

goff just needs to fix up his tendency to make one or two "shake your head" throws per game.