Brandin Cooks Traded to Houston Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The OL is better in 2020? With the same exact players as last year you cant be so sure man. In 2018 the offense was unstoppable and Gurley/Cooks led our team in rushing and receiving. The o-line was completely dominant in 2017 and 2018 as well. Since late 2018, the offense hasn't been the same. Saffold, Sullivan, prime Gurley, prime Cooks, 2 year younger Whitworth, Havenstein when he actually played well..... All gone. And Goff has been asked to step up and carry the load, which led to a SB loss immediately followed by a bad season. Do you really think the combination of Henderson + draft pick will produce like '17 or '18 Gurley? I'd say there's little to no chance of that. Which means what...we have to anticipate a weaker running game this year (better than last year, but weaker relative to '17/'18). That means we need Goff to play BEYOND his 2017 and 2018 self. He's been trending the complete opposite direction, so how do we get him back on track and give him confidence, without giving him a dominant OL?
I think most people would agree that continuity is one of the most important traits of a productive O-line. The Rams lost that early in the season when Noteboom, Allen and then Havenstein went down for the season. Once Whitworth, Corbett, Blythe, Edwards and Evans got a few games under belt, the O-line solidified and they were productive. However, IMO, an upgrade is needed at Center. If the O-line can't block well enough so that the ZBS generates 4 -5 yards per carry, then I will and say some of the O-line needs to be upgraded. But until then, I think they are fine.

oldnotdead

Legend
If there is one unit that is deep it's in the receiving corps. With the emergence of Higbee and Everett it made Cooks expendable. Kupp moves to Z WR where he belongs and it allows them to run more 12 personnel and still have 3-5 receivers on any given play. It allows them to motion one of the TE's as a lead blocker as well. TE's run the same routes as the slot WR so it they want to flex Everett out into the slot he would be perfect. It plays into the idea of transitioning to a power run game and the play action off of it. It fits McVay's scheme and makes it less predictable. The other point is Cooks' concussion history is worrisome and the draft is deep in receivers. Also it positions them to get an edge rusher either trading into the first round or if one drops taking one in the second round.

I don't see this draft as a good one for top OT's and still feel they will stand pat on the o-line. Right now it's Rob Havenstein's contract that has the team under water.

All things considered I think this was a good move.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the Cooks trade, I jumped into evaluating the second round WRs. I hadn't spent much time on them before because we weren't going to take a WR there. Now, it's possible we do. There are four names who stood out to me as guys I'd consider taking:
Tee Higgins
Denzel Mims
K.J. Hamler
Laviska Shenault
I read a couple of places that they were interested in Mims.

London_Ram

Rookie
Interesting news to wake up to!

My take is we gambled in 2018, came so close to winning it all but fell a fraction short, a couple of contracts in hindsight turned out to be bad deals, we're taking our medicine in one go immediately to reset to go again in 2021.

Loved Cooks' play in 2018 but he wasn't the same when on the field due to the concussions. Even when he was on the field I don't think DCs took his deep threat as seriously as before making Kupp and Woods performances last year all the more impressive.

Ramsey to sign an extension and money now available for Kupp to resign next year; I expect a trade down with one of the 2nds for an additional low 3rd round pick - C, WR, RB, Edge and ILB on day 2 in some order I wouldn't like to predict. A year to bed in and an 8-8 or 9-7 season followed by 2021 where we make another shot at it.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This Rams FO has totally mismanaged the cap, and the roster. 2020 (if it gets played) will be a brutal year for us fans.

Like other posters have said...we went for it in 2018, and we are now paying for it.

If Goff reveals himself as a mid-tier QB next season, I hope McVay and co. have the balls to move on fast.
We have all seen many teams hang on to hope with mediocre-to-good QB's, that ultimately just don't have the skill to win it all.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes it's nice to know the player your team is targeting. I guess not this year.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Attempting to compete ? We let go of out “star”
Running back an oft injured WR (who granted were on a lot of money) our starting MLB and we still have a ridiculously talented team with the likes of
Donald
Kupp
Goff
Ramsey
JJ3
Trapp
Higbee
Everett
And not forgetting a young core of players that might be ready to step up .. I juts don’t get the doom and gloom surrounding the rams it’s a retool not a rebuild

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our 2019 Rams had versions of Cooks and Gurley that, statistically, we should be able to upgrade from.

I think this also speaks to the fact the Rams don’t see them as the same players anymore. We need to consider that.

More balls toward Everett doesn’t sound bad to me. And... great draft for adding a WR or something of value for Cooks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The OL is better in 2020? With the same exact players as last year you cant be so sure man. In 2018 the offense was unstoppable and Gurley/Cooks led our team in rushing and receiving. The o-line was completely dominant in 2017 and 2018 as well. Since late 2018, the offense hasn't been the same. Saffold, Sullivan, prime Gurley, prime Cooks, 2 year younger Whitworth, Havenstein when he actually played well..... All gone. And Goff has been asked to step up and carry the load, which led to a SB loss immediately followed by a bad season. Do you really think the combination of Henderson + draft pick will produce like '17 or '18 Gurley? I'd say there's little to no chance of that. Which means what...we have to anticipate a weaker running game this year (better than last year, but weaker relative to '17/'18). That means we need Goff to play BEYOND his 2017 and 2018 self. He's been trending the complete opposite direction, so how do we get him back on track and give him confidence, without giving him a dominant OL?

It’s called COACHING ??
Tell me about The Rams OC under MCSNEAD??

AM I sure!! Heck Yeah. My biggest concern is Noteboom though. His injury seems severe. Brewers(still only 22) developing is key as well.

Tyler Higbee has the BEST season of ANY TE in RAMS History?? Everett should breakout. Mcvay was going to him a lot early.

Copper Kupp was coming off a Serious Knee injury.

I just watched a couple more games.Against the Niners Goff missed a wide open Woods & then through pick on the 50 before half. The Offensive Line was looking good at SF.
EVANS (Just turned 23)is going to be the backup.He knocked a DE right on his ass.Got banged up & played hurt against Arizona.

Austin Corbett got put in as a starter mid season without any camp.He is on a contract year.Will see what his future will be as a Ram?? Cost of a 2020 5th.

How many games did The Rams loss with Demby in ?? He is still only 23.

Brian Allen was handed the Starting job at Center 2019 without any preseason games. I say he is still in the picture & will get better.I’m always under the assumption that you play your players & display scared. That goes for preseason & end of the season. Prepare the same limit the minutes, stay in the moment.

I just know Copper Kupp & Robert Woods are a special WR combination.In 2018 training camp they would come out of the UCI tunnel together. Was a classic look of 2 professionals running on the field.

Brockers & Whitworth are great mentors. Veteran leaders. Look back at some of the better franchises in history. Jared Goff is a winner!!!

I just look forward to a FUN rookie RB.Malcom Brown was coming off an injury & has a few carries in the tank.
Henderson will see. 147 yards in 2019 was not the offensive lines fault.

Kromer & McSnead deserve a lot more credit starting 2 late round Offensive Lineman at 22 than they get credit for.
Just glad there were no injuries upfront in 2017-18. Remember Saffold rolling up in a ball & thinking. Not again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Our 2019 Rams had versions of Cooks and Gurley that, statistically, we should be able to upgrade from.

I think this also speaks to the fact the Rams don’t see them as the same players anymore. We need to consider that.

More balls toward Everett doesn’t sound bad to me. And... great draft for adding a WR or something of value for Cooks.

Everyone seems to forget about The Rams new RB of the future. Who knows ?? I might get my 2020 draft wish of Johnathan Taylor now . Lmoa

Solid points. Everett & Reynolds both McSneads first draft prospects together. What a Great draft imo.
John Johnson for free. Do these guys get resigned or do The Rams get comp picks back?? Coach’em up. Keep given them the ball.

Rams need to find a backup QB. J. Hurt?? Also add a kicker. Les Sneads first year as a GM he got rid of Brown & Donnie Jones. Found the Leg & signed Big Red as a UDRFA.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Now in the Texans defense... if Cooks plays at the level he is capable... he is a steal at $8M, $12M, $13M the next 3yrs. That’s the Texans piece.

Rams eat a big chunk of what it took to sign Cooks.

This article gets the contract impact to the Texans wrong.

Texans Trading for Brandin Cooks Albatross Contract Only Makes DeAndre Hopkins Move Look Worse

Bill O'Brien is replacing DeAndre Hopkins by committee. On the surface, such a decision fits their narrative assuming those replacements are either rookies or low-priced veterans.

Instead, the Texans have spent a ton of money on Randall Cobb and have now traded for high-priced veteran Brandin Cooks, leading most Texans and NFL fans to wonder what the hell was the point here?

To make matters worse, the Texans are sending a second-round pick to Los Angeles, which was their primary form of draft compensation in the Hopkins trade. We cannot make this up.

Brandin Cooks Contract

Cooks' contract ties him to Houston through 2023, with a potential out in 2021. His cap hit this year alone is $16.8 million, and only goes up from there. In 2019, he had just 42 receptions for 583 yards.

This isn't to say Houston's receiving corps is poor -- it isn't. However, it'd be significantly better had they kept one of the best receivers in the NFL and just paid him his damn money. Instead, they acquired Cobb, who is arguably past his prime, and Cooks, whose failed experiment in Los Angeles made his contract unthinkable for a team looking to shed money regardless of the cost.

Instead, O'Brien has now made two poor moves in one offseason, and still has the NFL Draft remaining on the docket.

Our thoughts are with Texans fans during this difficult time.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I think there was a master plan all along with regards to the big contracts. That master plan was to open up the purse strings and glitz up the team as much as possible for a short 2-3 year run. Why? To try to rapidly grow the fanbase in LA and sell SSL's for SoFi. We all saw what the Coliseum looked like in the second half of the 2016 season when losing. By week 4 of the 2017 season that was changing. With the Rams flying high numbers picked up. As did I'm guessing SSL sales.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooks dropped 2 TD’s in the SuperBowl in my book.

I do not believe either of those passes was Cooks fault. On the sideline pass the Patriot defender grabbed Cooks left arm and pulled it down before the ball even got there. That was pass interference, although the refs aren't going to call anything that close in a Super Bowl. On the end zone pass, Goff was a second late and gave the Patriot defender time to catch up and hit Cooks just as the ball arrived. That was a great defensive play.

I liked Brandon Cooks a lot, but he was one good hit away from retiring. This was a good move by the Rams because now they can draft a very good receiver in the second round. I hope they draft a receiver that is built like a running back. Big, strong, and fast. We need a Deebo Samuel or a DK Metcalf of our own.

dang

Legend
It’s hard to catch when the CB is pulling down at your arms. Same ol’ Patriot cheating.
I would have to agree if Cooks was stronger at fighting for the ball he could have caught the first pass for a TD. Goff still hung that one up a little late and a little weak. i’d say Cooks had little chance of fighting thru the pass interference on the second pass in question.