Bountygate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Re: Gregg Williams.... Bounty Hunter?

X said:
I have to wonder if Fisher knew anything about this - what with his being a good friend of Williams. Plus, Fisher was on the competition committee, so if he DID know about it, and said nothing, then wow.... what a twist this is going to put on things. Obviously Fisher will never admit to knowing about it though. And hey, we all know this goes back decades. It's just very untimely that it goes public right after we hire the guy who orchestrated a program of it.
Took the words right out of my mouth, X. Now my question becomes, how could Fisher NOT know?... especially given that they're good friends and that Fish in on Competition committee while they were investigating those 50K pages of stuff. Fish must have had an inkling that something could come down on Williams, yet, he still went out of his way to hire his old buddy.

Ugh, the more layers of the Onion we speculatively pull away, the uglier the implications are for the new Rams staff.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Doug Farrar seeks the ultimate punishment.

JdashSTL said:
Oh and its perfectly ok for us to discuss Gregg Williams and Star Wars

Boba Fett=Bounty Hunter=Gregg Williams :bg:
And of course everything = Kevin Bacon.
Billy Dee Williams (Lando) was in "The Ladies Man" with April Mullen, who was in "Cavedweller" with Kevin Bacon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

rickrawk said:
I can't comment on that since I am probably the only human on the planet who has never seen Star Wars. It's true, but it is on my bucket list.
Whaaaaaaa? :shock: You have some catching up to do, man.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

interference said:
X said:
I have to wonder if Fisher knew anything about this - what with his being a good friend of Williams. Plus, Fisher was on the competition committee, so if he DID know about it, and said nothing, then wow.... what a twist this is going to put on things. Obviously Fisher will never admit to knowing about it though. And hey, we all know this goes back decades. It's just very untimely that it goes public right after we hire the guy who orchestrated a program of it.
Took the words right out of my mouth, X. Now my question becomes, how could Fisher NOT know?... especially given that they're good friends and that Fish in on Competition committee while they were investigating those 50K pages of stuff. Fish must have had an inkling that something could come down on Williams, yet, he still went out of his way to hire his old buddy.

Ugh, the more layers of the Onion we speculatively pull away, the uglier the implications are for the new Rams staff.
I knew you'd take a big bite of that. The cover-ups never end, do they?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

rickrawk said:
I can't comment on that since I am probably the only human on the planet who has never seen Star Wars. It's true, but it is on my bucket list.
It's social programming that you can skip, as far as I'm concerned.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

X said:
interference said:
X said:

I knew you'd take a big bite of that. The cover-ups never end, do they?
Well, in my life experience, I've just seen so much corruption that it's hard to ignore the possibility when I look at a situation ike this.

X said:
Interesting tweet from Trey Wingo just now:

@wingoz
Beyond the health and safety issues of what the Saints did, paying players beyond their contracts is a violation of the Salary Cap.
Jesus christ, what does the NFL think its running, the Kremlin? Where does the control over contracted employee's lives end? This is getting ridiculous, and I think it would be wise for the players association to raise a big middle finger to Goodell if he tries to control how players/coaches spend their money.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

interference said:
rickrawk said:
It's social programming that you can skip, as far as I'm concerned.
darth_maul_sith_lords_3.jpg

Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

interference said:
X said:
Interesting tweet from Trey Wingo just now:

@wingoz
Beyond the health and safety issues of what the Saints did, paying players beyond their contracts is a violation of the Salary Cap.
Jesus christ, what does the NFL think its running, the Kremlin? Where does the control over contracted employee's lives end? This is getting ridiculous, and I think it would be wise for the players association to raise a big middle finger to Goodell if he tries to control how players/coaches spend their money.
Well, think about it. Where do you draw the line? What if, with a wink and a nod, you sign a free agent that another team was willing to pay the same money for, but you throw a little extra coin his way under the table to tip the scales? A "hidden incentive contract", if you will. If you let that go unchecked, then suddenly the Steinbrenners of the NFL get all the good free agents.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:
If he paid for QB hits and the like - I'm not sure how bad that should be viewed. It is a constant stat they pull up on the screen. If he was paying for an injury, I don't want him here or in the league. I really don't give a shyte if it goes on all the time. Pretty simple in my eyes. Fire his ass if he paid to have players injured.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and how the league has taken extra precautions for it, how can people be ok with players payed to knock opponents out of the game? Cant that be looked at as "intent to injure?"

I'm not talking about trying to knock a player out of a game - quite the contrary. But in the NFL, QB hits are a stat just like hurries. For clarification, I'm not talking about hits after the play either. But this is a rough game and a big part of it is getting into the most important player's brain. Most of the time, that is the QB.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

RamFan503 said:
JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:
If he paid for QB hits and the like - I'm not sure how bad that should be viewed. It is a constant stat they pull up on the screen. If he was paying for an injury, I don't want him here or in the league. I really don't give a shyte if it goes on all the time. Pretty simple in my eyes. Fire his ass if he paid to have players injured.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and how the league has taken extra precautions for it, how can people be ok with players payed to knock opponents out of the game? Cant that be looked at as "intent to injure?"

I'm not talking about trying to knock a player out of a game - quite the contrary. But in the NFL, QB hits are a stat just like hurries. For clarification, I'm not talking about hits after the play either. But this is a rough game and a big part of it is getting into the most important player's brain. Most of the time, that is the QB.

So your talking about teams just going after the QB to get in his head? speed up his internal clock? Thats normal. The 2 games that will be brought up the most are the Cardinals and Viking game during the Saints playoff run. I watched the Vikings game with my dad, hes a huge Vikings fan, he was shocked at the no-calls on Favre. It still bugs him to this day. The hits themselves didnt bother him, it was clear the Saints wanted to beat him up. Looking back on it now, I guess Bobby McCray made some extra cash after that SB run for the hits to Favre and Warner.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Dungy: Titans had a bounty on Peyton Manning

- by Mike Florio

Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams had a bounty on Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLIV. But while it didn’t result in an injury to Manning, his former coach in Indianapolis believes it wasn’t the first time that knocking Peyton out of a game would have gotten a player paid.

Tony Dungy of NBC’s Football Night in America tells PFT that he believes the Titans had put a bounty on Manning.

“I know they had them in Tennessee,” Dungy said via text.

Williams worked for the Oilers/Titans through 2000 under coach Jeff Fisher. Dungy became coach of the Colts in 2002, when a realignment of the divisions put the Colts and Titans in the newly-created AFC South, pitting the two teams against each other twice per season.

Coincidentally, Fisher and Williams have now been reunited, in St. Louis. Which will make even more interesting a decision by Manning to sign with one of the Rams’ NFC West rivals: the Cardinals, Seahawks, or 49ers.

Even more coincidentally, Dungy explained during a 2011 preseason edition of Football Night in America that he believes a 2006 hit on Peyton Manning first caused his ongoing neck problems.

The man delivering the hit? Phillip Daniels. His team? The Redskins.

The defensive coordinator at the time? Gregg Williams.

That said, Dungy emphasized that he doesn’t know whether the Redskins were using bounties under Williams. But Dungy was clear in his belief that the Titans used such a system.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-manning/

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

JdashSTL said:
So your talking about teams just going after the QB to get in his head? speed up his internal clock? Thats normal. The 2 games that will be brought up the most are the Cardinals and Viking game during the Saints playoff run. I watched the Vikings game with my dad, hes a huge Vikings fan, he was shocked at the no-calls on Favre. It still bugs him to this day. The hits themselves didnt bother him, it was clear the Saints wanted to beat him up. Looking back on it now, I guess Bobby McCray made some extra cash after that SB run for the hits to Favre and Warner.

Pretty much sums it up. Something says to me that you are right about at least the Vikings game. I can't say for sure without rewatching it but it definitely rings a bell. I seem to remember thinking, "WOW! They got away with that?" Of course being a life long Vikings hater, I don't recall it bothering me as much as it probably should have.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:
JdashSTL said:
Oh and its perfectly ok for us to discuss Gregg Williams and Star Wars

Boba Fett=Bounty Hunter=Gregg Williams :bg:
And of course everything = Kevin Bacon.
Billy Dee Williams (Lando) was in "The Ladies Man" with April Mullen, who was in "Cavedweller" with Kevin Bacon.

Well, I wasnt gonna take it that far... :lmao:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

This is all I'm going to say about this on a personal level.

When I played (safety), I wanted to hurt everyone. Regular dudes I wanted to maim. STAR players? I wanted to murder them. So the line here, to me, isn't whether or not players should go out and try to hurt another player. They ALL do that, and they ALL ratchet it up a notch or two when they're about to pop a difference maker. Remember a few years ago when Witherspoon drove Leinart into the ground and broke his collar bone? I don't recall anyone saying that was uncool.

The line, as I see it, is having a coach dole out money for it and/or whether or not players were encouraged to do it "by any means necessary." That's not cool. Playing hard and playing to hurt each other is just the way the game is played. Nobody tries to gingerly tackle anyone at this level. Again, I really don't think we should take much umbrage with players trying to hurt each other. That's not a unique situation. Now if a player was told, "Go ahead and take him out. If you get ejected or fined for a helmet-to-helmet, we'll cover it", THAT would be a problem.

Just my two cents.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Dungy: Titans had a bounty on Peyton Manning

I knew that was coming. Sando put a chart up showing who had the most penalties, and Fisher's Titans were nested at the top.

bounty.jpg

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:
This is all I'm going to say about this on a personal level.

When I played (safety), I wanted to hurt everyone. Regular dudes I wanted to maim. STAR players? I wanted to murder them. So the line here, to me, isn't whether or not players should go out and try to hurt another player. They ALL do that, and they ALL ratchet it up a notch or two when they're about to pop a difference maker. Remember a few years ago when Witherspoon drove Leinart into the ground and broke his collar bone? I don't recall anyone saying that was uncool.

The line, as I see it, is having a coach dole out money for it and/or whether or not players were encouraged to do it "by any means necessary." That's not cool. Playing hard and playing to hurt each other is just the way the game is played. Nobody tries to gingerly tackle anyone at this level. Again, I really don't think we should take much umbrage with players trying to hurt each other. That's not a unique situation. Now if a player was told, "Go ahead and take him out. If you get ejected or fined for a helmet-to-helmet, we'll cover it", THAT would be a problem.

Just my two cents.

Do players really need the extra incentive to go after star players? I feel like a DE could just say "im not gonna hit the QB as hard unless I get $10,000." They already know you should get as many shots as you can on QBs to mess with them mentally at the very least.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Ugh. Yeah the Rams just formed a new staff, bright future, so lets go ahead and start taking the coaches down one-by-one :amped: . I hope nothing happens to Fisher. Theres a lot of coincidence with him right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

JdashSTL said:
Do players really need the extra incentive to go after star players?
Nope. They sure as hell shouldn't. They should have ill-intent towards all players, but there's something about taking out a difference maker that gets you extra amped.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

I think this is a situation where the NFL would want to take quick, swift action. Punish people, and move on. They could dig depper into this (and that would be the only way Fisher, along with other coaches not on the Saints staff gets in trouble) but I dont think that will happen. The Saints organization and Gregg Williams are the ones that pay the ultimate price here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

staley.jpg