Bountygate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Gregg Williams.... Bounty Hunter?

Breaking News:
SAINTS IMPLICATED IN 'PAY FOR PERFORMANCE' PROGRAM
NFL investigation finds former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered "bounty" program funded primarily by players from 2009-'11.
From NFL.com.

Couple notes from Adam Schefter's twitter:

AdamSchefter: NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

AdamSchefter: Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline.

AdamSchefter: NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches.

AdamSchefter: Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

AdamSchefter: NFL investigation of Saints began in 2010 when allegations were made that Saints targeted QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.

I guess we'll see what comes of this...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Re: Gregg Williams.... Bounty Hunter?

Not a good revelation. Rams definitely wont face any sort of punishment, but Williams may. At the very least our defense, especially if Williams remains the DC, will be watched very closely by the commissioners office.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I'm wondering why the bounty programs are so stigmatized. Yes, I think that purposely going after a player to knock him out of the game isn't always the best route to go, but what's so wrong about paying players money for splash plays? You see teams like the Ravens and the Steelers go for bounties all the time, and they happen to have two of the best defenses in the NFL. Why not us?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

If it was really just "pay for performance", then I don't have any problem at all with a player-coach initiated/run reward program. But it this was a program where players were rewarded for "hurting" or "injurying" other players, than that's a different story. Do we know what the specifics are yet? Was it indeed a "bounty" program?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I'm watching it on NFL live now. They were saying Jonathan Vilma put 10K cash on the table and said whoever knocks out Brett Favre gets the cash.. If this is all true it's pretty sad. It's not like they don't get paid enough as it is. To pay cash to go try and actually hurt someone on purpose is just not needed. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out and might affect Greg Williams. If it is true and Williams was part of it, he's gone. No way Fisher keeps him around with that kind of negative media it would bring. We shall see..

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
hmmm, I am not convinced Fisher will bail on his longtime pal.

My question now becomes, if this was really going on, why r we learning about it now? There's gotta be a NFL-political undercurrent going on that we're not being exposed to yet? This was obviously being protected while Williams was in NO, what's changed other than the team Williams now coaches for?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Peter King Writes...........

PETER KING - Sports Illustrated

The National Football League on Friday found the New Orleans Saints guilty of a wide-ranging system of bounty payments to between 22 and 27 defensive players from 2009 through 2011, and player-safety-conscious commissioner Roger Goodell could bring the hammer down very hard on the franchise.

The most alarming finding by the league, according to one club source who was briefed on the investigation late Friday afternoon, was this: Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. That fact was in a report to the 32 NFL owners, sent out by the league to detail further what the league's 50,000-page investigation found.

Early indications late Friday afternoon were that the sanctions against the Saints and their former defensive coordinator who the league said administered the bounties, Gregg Williams, will be severe. The league said the penalties could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft choices -- the latter of which could be particularly damaging to the Saints, who do not own a first-round pick this year. Their first choice will be late in the second round, the 59th overall ... unless Goodell takes the pick away.

Goodell is angry about this sustained use of paying players to hurt players on other teams. There's little doubt the penalties on the Saints will be worse than what the league did to the Patriots for the Spygate scandal in 2007. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 and the franchise fined $250,000 and docked a first-round draft choice for videotaping opponents' signals during games in violation of league rules. It would not be surprising, judging by the seriousness of the findings, that Williams, recently hired as the defensive coordinator of the Rams, would faced a multi-game suspension.

A stern Goodell and a team of NFL officials -- league counsel Jeff Pash and NFL Security officials who headed up the investigation -- summoned Saints coach Asshole Face and general manager Mickey Loomis to New York Thursday to inform them of the seriousness of the investigation. Then Pash flew to New Orleans Thursday night to brief Saints owner Tom Benson.

Payton, the league says, was not "a direct participant'' in the bounty program but was aware of it and did nothing to stop it. Loomis could be in more trouble. The league claims Loomis was told by Benson to stop the program and didn't.

The league said there was an initial investigation, after the 2009 season, into a bounty system led by Williams that could not be corroborated. Then, Goodell said "significant and credible'' new information was forthcoming late in the 2011 season that led to the findings the league acted on Friday. Those conclusions found that Saints players were paid off-the-books incentives for some outstanding performances such as interceptions -- obviously in violation of the league's salary cap -- as well as $1,000 and $1,500 payments for injuring opposing players.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for performance, but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said in a league statement Friday afternoon. The bounty rule, Goodell said, protects "two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity. It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated. We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."

The league, led by director of investigative services Joe Hummel and chief league security officer Jeff Miller, discovered these violations:

• Players pooled their own money to fund the bounty club, and players were paid $1,500 if a foe was knocked out of the game, and $1,000 if an opponent was carted off the field.

• Between 22 and 27 players contributed to the bounty pool over a three-year period, with amounts guaranteed if a certain opposing player was knocked out of the game.

• Williams occasionally reached into his own pocket to contribute to the bounty pool.

• Benson said when he was informed of the new and credible evidence that the bounty program was going strong after the 2011 season, he directed Loomis to make sure the program ceased. "There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices,'' the league's statement said.

Since mid-2010, when a spate of head injuries ratcheted up the NFL's attention to player safety, Goodell has been nearly manic about player safety. The league has heavily fined players for excessive and late hits on players, and Goodell's relationship with many prominent players in the league has been radically affected because of it. That's why the penalties in this case will be significantly more severe -- almost certainly -- than what was levied on the Patriots four seasons ago. It's hard enough for players to stay on the field in the first place, never mind when a team is purposely trying to injure them.

That's why you can expect Goodell to issue the most severe penalties of his six-year reign on the Saints as soon as late this month. Players will be watching this case closely, particularly heavily fined players like James Harrison. If Williams gets away without a six-figure fine plus suspension, players will think Goodell is softer on the ringleaders than the players.

Messages to Williams, Payton and Loomis were not immediately returned to SI.com Friday afternoon. Saints owner Tom Benson issued this statement: "I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

It could be a while, a long while, before the findings, as Benson calls them, can be put behind the Saints.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1o06z5NDI

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Re:

interference said:

My question now becomes, if this was really going on, why r we learning about it now? There's gotta be a NFL-political undercurrent going on that we're not being exposed to yet? This was obviously being protected while Williams was in NO, what's changed other than the team Williams now coaches for?

He may have to. If Williams is suspended he wont be able to install the D he wants, and as long as hes here our team would be closely monitored.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

4papcol.gif

Just playin'.

This sucks though. One step forward, two steps back. That should be this team's freaking motto.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... onsibility

Gregg Williams takes 'full responsibility'

Gregg Williams and the St. Louis Rams made an attempt Friday to break from the NFL's investigation into Williams' former team, the New Orleans Saints, for alleged bounties on opponents.

Williams, who left the Saints to become the Rams' defensive coordinator this offseason, took full responsibility. Given that he is in St. Louis, however, the Saints could be the ones most likely to incur the consequences of his mea culpa.

Williams' statement, released by the Rams, reads as follows:

"I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints. It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

The phrase "pay for performance" was verbatim from the NFL's statement of allegations. "Mr. Benson" is Saints owner Tom Benson.

In my view, Williams' statement is an attempt to take ownership of the story to the degree Williams can do so, on the theory that honesty in the beginning can mitigate trouble in the end.

It remains unclear to what extend the NFL's punishment will focus on Williams. He was the defensive coordinator in New Orleans. He has been known for publicly encouraging his players to take out opposing quarterbacks. He has admitted knowledge of the bounty program and said he should have stopped it.

The league will presumably agree.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

How is this any different than players playing hurt and we know opponents will target them? We hear about it all the time, reporters will ask players about it. Thats something Ive been wondering a bit. I now know this is common throughout the league, and the Saints were the team that got caught. I was initially shocked by this, but then as I thought about it more, it didnt suprise me. Its the nature of the NFL. It does piss me off to maybe know now that Warners career was ended by a "bounty" hit. Does this taint the Saints SB win? Im not sure. I saw this question posted on Twitter. There were controversial hits during their playoff run, but I dont think this taints anything for them.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

interference said:
If it was really just "pay for performance", then I don't have any problem at all with a player-coach initiated/run reward program. But it this was a program where players were rewarded for "hurting" or "injurying" other players, than that's a different story. Do we know what the specifics are yet? Was it indeed a "bounty" program?
Yeah, that's where I'm at too. Giving a bonus for a big hit is one thing, giving them a bonus for actually injuring someone is different. I want the Rams to win, but not because they purposefully hurt others.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

It's not gonna effect the Rams @ all. Bellicheat, as his name suggets, freakin cheated for years and they only got a draft pick taken away. I"d bet Williams gets fined and the Saints get a draft pick taken.

This shit is serious for the Saints. No wonder there was always a dislike for them in me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Angry Ram said:
It's not gonna effect the Rams @ all. Bellicheat, as his name suggets, freakin cheated for years and they only got a draft pick taken away. I"d bet Williams gets fined and the Saints get a draft pick taken.

This shit is serious for the Saints. No wonder there was always a dislike for them in me.
I dunno man. There's talk about a suspension for Williams.
AND possibly his son (who was an assistant in New Orleans and now a coach here).

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Angry Ram said:

This shyte is serious for the Saints. No wonder there was always a dislike for them in me.

Patriots have their 1st rounder this year :what:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

brokeu91 said:
interference said:
Yeah, that's where I'm at too. Giving a bonus for a big hit is one thing, giving them a bonus for actually injuring someone is different. I want the Rams to win, but not because they purposefully hurt others.

The hits to Warner and Favre during their SB run tells me there may have been intent to injure. They just couldnt knock Favre out of the game...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Tony "The Legend" Banks speaks out about this.

Tony Banks ‏ @tonybanks12
#GregWilliams should not be allowed to coach again in NFL 4 his part in admitted #Bounty allegations. Inexcusable.
#Bounty is nothing new 2 the NFL but has no place n today's game. Malicious intent is cowardly & goes against unwritten #NFL fraternity rules

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Adam Schefter on Twitter:

Washington Post reports Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under their former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Re:

interference said:

I think this is a big opportunity for Goodell to put the hammer down on the Saints as he moves forward with the extra attention put on player safety. Apparently Williams had been doing this for awhile. A lot of stuff coming down on him (why now??). He could be made an example of for the rest of the league.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

I'm not a big P.C. guy, in fact, I hate it. That said, Williams has to go, if this ownership doesn't show character, what's left? :sick: