Bonsignore: Rams need to get the Watkins nonsense squashed ASAP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-sammy-watkins-stats-2017-football-outsiders/
Sammy Watkins has been the NFL's most efficient WR in 2017
usatsi_10228274.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | September 27, 2017 11:30 am ET

When the Los Angeles Rams traded for Sammy Watkins this offseason, they were expecting to land a true No. 1 receiver who can take the top off of a defense and elevate the play of Jared Goff. Through two weeks, he was reliable, but the big plays weren’t there. He had just seven catches for 88 yards, which aren’t exactly eye-popping numbers.

However, in Week 3, he went off. Against the 49ers, Watkins caught six passes for 106 yards and two touchdowns, looking more like the player the Rams thought they were getting in the blockbuster trade.

route-chart_wat270480_2017-reg-3_1506055372943.jpeg

His impressive start goes beyond the box score, too. He’s been the NFL’s most efficient wide receiver this season. Watkins has caught 13 of the 14 passes thrown his way, good for a 93 percent catch rate – best in the NFL among receivers with at least 10 catches.

According to Football Outsiders, Watkins’ DVOA – or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average – is 81.3 percent, which ranks No. 1 in the NFL. His DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) is second only to Stefon Diggs. In DVOA, Diggs ranks fifth, which makes Watkins the NFL’s most efficient wideout.

gettyimages-851127984.jpg

(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

It’s clear Watkins has had a huge impact on the Rams thus far, proving to be the team’s most reliable receiver. He’s as sure-handed as they come in 2017, with his lone incompletion coming on a play in which he and Goff weren’t on the same page.

If he can continue to grow in the Rams’ offense, he and Goff could become one of the best duos in the NFL. It’s still very early, of course, but Thursday night’s performance was a sign of things to come.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FegNVbIGwIc

Sammy show starts at 1:15

The catch and run chart shows the little 5 yard out he got 8 yards on for first down on 3rd and 5. (I wrote it was 6-8 yards with 5 YAC a couple of time. sorry) I would think that would be open every game. Why not get it to him early? The last TD he gets 5 yards beyond the LOS spots up then plows for 7 yards and the TD. He has some great skills like the over the shoulder catch. He can eat up yards like on the slant.

Let's see if McVay can get Sammy going early this week. Sometimes coaches have to adjust a little to a player. If he gets Sammy involved early he could explode again.

Through 3 weeks?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can't agree, you always have to feel you are open, play to get open, then assume the ball will come to you. No matter what. Plays break down, coverages are changed. Happens all the time.

I'm assuming he's a professional, and he should know that, instead of playing like a slow decoy, and not even looking for the ball, nor making an effort to catch it.
It reminded me of how people don't seem to notice baseball players loafing to 1st base on a routine ground out until there's a mishap that could render the runner safe if he hustled....

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I agree with Watkins. He is a play maker and we need to design plays that get him open. This in turn creates opportunity in other area's as well. move him to slot from time to time, keep the D guessing.

WATKINS might have made "that catch."

and if you don't like that see Dieterbrock, he has a free cat for you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No there was definitely a safety that came over and at worst it’s a incomplete pass. Looking at the play again I was kinda happy he quit on the route because it bought the safety to him as well and got the safety out of his position. If Watkins run the route full out its a good chance that it’s pick at best it becomes a 50/50 ball

Earl Thomas was running to cover the cross. He was moving the wrong direction. If Watkins had turned it on, there was nobody in the middle of the field.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds much better!

======================================================================

https://www.thescore.com/news/1396165

Watkins 'frustrated' about lack of targets in Rams' offense
by Michael Amato 1h ago

Receivers always want the ball.

So it's understandable Sammy Watkins would be displeased about his role with the Los Angeles Rams' offense as of late, as the 24-year-old has only totaled one catch over his past two games.

"As a player, of course you're going to be frustrated," Watkins told Rich Hammond of the Los Angeles Daily News. "I don't know a player, a wide receiver, that's not frustrated throughout the game if you're not getting the ball. Each week, it could change. They had certain coverage that kind of took me out of the game, and that's part of the game."

Watkins broke out against the San Francisco 49ers three weeks ago with a pair of touchdowns and more than 100 yards receiving, but since then he's been virtually non-existent in the offense. Last Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks he was held without a catch for the first time in his career.

"Definitely want to try to get him more involved," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. "But by no means are we, or am I, going to change the approach, play in and play out. I'll go through the reads and hopefully he gets more touches."

To Watkins' credit, he hasn't let his frustration become a distraction to the team and isn't concerned about his numbers this season impacting his next contract. He's happy to be with a Rams squad that appears to be on the rise.

"I think I've got enough money," Watkins said. "I just want to have fun and ball. I want to be a part of this team. It's a great team. I know where they're about to be at (in terms of success). I just want to be a part of it and make plays and score touchdowns."

Last edited: