Bonsignore: Rams need to get the Watkins nonsense squashed ASAP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The good ol media makes this a bigger deal than it really is.

I miss the days without social media, days when sports media used to actually talk football, not high school BS.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I tend to agree with Bonsignore here... two months for a third year player ought to be enough IMO.

Gotta point there, would like to see more variations in running certain routes with our WRs as a whole. That slant route for a TD against the Whiners was a thing of beauty and would like to deceive DBs into thinking that Watkins is gonna run a deep ball while sneaking Kupp into a post route; will do wonders for our offense rather than the usual misdirection plays

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just give me a lunch pail WR who produces like a Issac Bruce and doesn't complain.
He can be on my team...
Watkins? Let's see how this pans out.
Lunch pail.... maybe. But I'll take a receiver with Watkins type talent as long as he uses it. It may be a chicken and egg argument. Is he not getting the ball because he is not where he is supposed to be or not showing that talent? Or is he not getting the ball because Goff is young and not seeing him or trusting that the result will not be an INT? I don't know. I will say though that loafing on one route and flat out quitting on another is not a way to form trust. And if any of that is indeed a form of protest, that is about the worst way to get paid.

So, things are not what they may appear by seeing one second of the end of a play on tv.
That was the second one in the game that he pulled up on and it was pretty obvious that he at least had a pretty good shot at catching that for a huge gainer. That can't go without mention.

They did not have that agreement with Buffalo, but the Rams made the deal factoring they would get some type of compensatory pick as well, if they did not resign him.
If he is an URFA at the end of the season, do we still get a compensatory pick?

fearsomefour

Legend
Lunch pail.... maybe. But I'll take a receiver with Watkins type talent as long as he uses it. It may be a chicken and egg argument. Is he not getting the ball because he is not where he is supposed to be or not showing that talent? Or is he not getting the ball because Goff is young and not seeing him or trusting that the result will not be an INT? I don't know. I will say though that loafing on one route and flat out quitting on another is not a way to form trust. And if any of that is indeed a form of protest, that is about the worst way to get paid.

That was the second one in the game that he pulled up on and it was pretty obvious that he at least had a pretty good shot at catching that for a huge gainer. That can't go without mention.

If he is an URFA at the end of the season, do we still get a compensatory pick?
If true that he pulled up and saw the throw, knew the ball was coming, I would be shopping him. Don't want him, don't need him if that is his he plays.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If true that he pulled up and saw the throw, knew the ball was coming, I would be shopping him. Don't want him, don't need him if that is his he plays.
I don't think that is the case. But he can't take plays off let alone two in one game where he was targeted.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How to prove it?
I'm just saying if it was provable and it's my call he's gone. But that's just me.
Well I think you can simply see him slow up. If you are saying prove he knew it was coming his way and did it to make a statement, I agree. You may not be able to prove it but I think the coaches would know - none the less. I don't think he knew it was coming his way - or at least I hope that is the case. Not sure anyone would want to sign him if that's the case.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Look he probably had bad gas and thought he sharted during that particular moment in time. But you can't compare this guy to Quick...Come on Quick was the master of skating on his routes. Maybe Sammy is still acclimating to this weather. Its not Buffalo you know.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a call for McVay to make, And he will
train

Here's what he said (I emphasized what I consider to be smart comments by McVay... essentially putting Watkins on notice):

(On if he is aware of the social media interactions between WR Sammy Watkins and former Rams WR Torry Holt and his reaction and any discussions with Watkins)

“Yes. I talked to Sammy about it and I think really his was really more of a response to some of the things that were said. Sammy is a player that he wants to be involved and what we just challenge Sammy to do, which he handles things exactly the right way in terms of the way that he receives that information and then takes accountability, is you never know when your opportunity is going to come, but let’s make sure that snap-in and snap-out you continue to compete and contribute to the best of your ability. There are certain times throughout the course of the game where maybe we had a play call to try to get him, they played a different coverage or we just didn’t do that and then when those opportunities do come, let’s make sure that we’re ready to roll. He responded the right way. I think looking at some of those social media exchanges, I think he was more just responding to those things and he knows that he’ll do the right things moving forward. But, I really respect the way Sammy handled our conversation today in terms of taking the accountability to know that it’s about snap-in and snap-out and really the tape is what tells the story. Sometimes, when you don’t get your number targeted, it can be a little bit misleading and that’s what I appreciate about Sammy is I think he took it the right way and expect him to respond the right way moving forward.”

fearsomefour

Legend
Well I think you can simply see him slow up. If you are saying prove he knew it was coming his way and did it to make a statement, I agree. You may not be able to prove it but I think the coaches would know - none the less. I don't think he knew it was coming his way - or at least I hope that is the case. Not sure anyone would want to sign him if that's the case.
Right.
That was kind of my point initially.
Hard to tell from tv. He pulled up I agree. Who knows the full reason.
It is on purpose to make a point then he has to go. Is that the case? I doubt it seriously.
He will catch a TD bs the Jags and it won't be brought up again.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Looked to me like he was clearing out the underneath zone and didn't think he'd get the call as he was being doubled.
Moral of the story is to never assume.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dude was lost out there. Play better, or be replaced.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Looked to me like he was clearing out the underneath zone and didn't think he'd get the call as he was being doubled.
Moral of the story is to never assume.
I just can't agree, you always have to feel you are open, play to get open, then assume the ball will come to you. No matter what. Plays break down, coverages are changed. Happens all the time.

I'm assuming he's a professional, and he should know that, instead of playing like a slow decoy, and not even looking for the ball, nor making an effort to catch it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just can't agree, you always have to feel you are open, play to get open, then assume the ball will come to you. No matter what. Plays break down, coverages are changed. Happens all the time.

I'm assuming he's a professional, and he should know that, instead of playing like a slow decoy, and not even looking for the ball, nor making an effort to catch it.
Well, then we agree.
I, too, said he should never assume he's just a decoy.
I think McVay said something to that effect too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, then we agree.
I, too, said he should never assume he's just a decoy.
I think McVay said something to that effect too.
Yeah, I think he tried to be sensitive to Watkins, but inferred it was his fault.

I misinterpreted what your meaning was. My bad. I'm just still sick about it today. He was one of the guys that really ticked me off.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know....because he quit on the play lol. But I disagree, if the finished the route and was looking the right way he had a TD, the ball landed a couple of yards from him. He had his man beat and there was no help.
No there was definitely a safety that came over and at worst it’s a incomplete pass. Looking at the play again I was kinda happy he quit on the route because it bought the safety to him as well and got the safety out of his position. If Watkins run the route full out its a good chance that it’s pick at best it becomes a 50/50 ball

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, based on actual production, Watkins IMO, is not elite.

Frankly, I don't even know why we're having this discussion... we're back to some term coined by ESPN or some other crackpot media outlet... "Elite WR".

Now, "elite" means "type of catches he makes his route running ability his ability to run after the catch"? OK, quantify that and get back to me.

His "numbers", as compared to his peers, is not "elite" (extenuating circumstances previously noted nothwithstanding).
The difference between those elite WRs and Watkins is a coach and QB that feed them the ball. Look at the year Antonio Brown is having Julio Jones and even Beckham AJ green all those WRs are elite but look at what’s going on with their QB play. That’s watkins entire career. So yes in my esteem opinion Watkins is a elite talent even if his numbers hasn’t shown it