Bonsignore: Rams need to get the Watkins nonsense squashed ASAP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bonsignore: As Sammy Watkins opened a window into his frustration, Rams need to get that nonsense squashed ASAP

ax028_2ef1_9.jpg

Rams wide receiver Sammy Watkins gets between San Francisco cornerback Jimmie Ward and defensive back Dontae Johnson to score a touchdown during the second half their game in Santa Clara on a Thursday night game last month. It is one of two TD catches Watkins has on the year among his 14 receptions for 211 yards. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) Sammy Watkins, Jimmie Ward, Dontae Johnson

Lost in all the Rams mistakes and turnovers and one very big dropped pass Sunday in a frustrating 16-10 loss was the misuse – or non use – of dynamic wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

But if the Rams and head coach Sean McVay hoped the omission of Watkins in the execution of Sunday’s game plan would just sort of slip through the cracks, Watkins had other ideas.

As in a few not-so cryptic Tweets Sunday night in which he provided a window into his frustrations over the one pass catch he has over the last two weeks and being targeted just four times on Sunday.

Wide receivers can be a divaish type bunch. Especially the really good ones who insist they’re open even when they’re covered. It’s part of what makes them so great, of course, and the really, really, really good ones are dynamic enough to bust up all sorts of coverage schemes or even beat multiple defenders to make plays lesser receivers can only dream of making.

The Rams traded for Watkins this summer specifically to add that type of charisma and mindset to an offense lacking dynamic force of nature on the perimeter.

But there’s a warning tag typically attached to those kinds of players. Their need for love, attention and above all else touches can sometimes get the best of them when they feel neglected.

And sometimes they lash out as a result.

That happened on Sunday. And it’s on McVay and quarterback Jared Goff to get it squashed as soon as possible less this morphs into a bigger problem.

It all started innocently enough when former Rams wide receiver Torry Holt observed on Twitter:

“Sammy Watkins 0 catches on four targets, Watkins now has 1 catch for 17 yards over his past two games.”

To which Watkins replied: “Something gotta be going on” along with a curious emoji.

Later, Twitter user @jalensampson tweeted: “He needs more targets, they need to put him outside and in slot he’ll do work if he gets his looks.”

Watkins replied: “True.”

Oh uh.

Before anyone starts worrying Watkins might already be thinking about an exit strategy at the end of the season – he’s in the last year of his contract – keep in mind he was loud and clear that he’s enjoying his new home with the Rams in Los Angeles by responding to @bhem32 observation “Back to buffalo after the season” by replying: “I love it where I’m at bud.”

Nevertheless, Watkins, who had a history in Buffalo of voicing his displeasure when he felt he wasn’t getting enough touches, is obviously feeling a bit overlooked the last two weeks.

He’s been largely a decoy against the Cowboys and Seahawks, and while the defensive attention he generates provides more room for fellow receivers Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and Todd Gurley to operate, Watkins is simply too dynamic to go such long stretches without getting thrown to.

It’s a fine line, though, as it makes little sense to force the issue to Watkins while passing up open windows to Cupp, Woods and others.

“By no means do I want to force (anyone) the ball,” said Rams quarterback Jared Goff. “Just continue to let them get open in the framework of the play and work the ball to them.”

Said McVay: “The flow of the game kind of dictates and determines whatever plays we feel like are going to work best.”

By the way, it’s somewhat ironic Watkins chose Sunday to voice concerns as, even when he was targeted, his level engagement was, well, lacking.

Watkins made minimal efforts to go get the ball on two passes that came his way, the most blatant coming on a long ball Goff unleashed to him that Watkins either didn’t know was coming or didn’t bother to go chase down.

“I think it was probably one of those plays that he didn’t expect it,” McVay said. “I’d have to talk to Sammy about that. Until you go back and truly look at it, I can’t say and I haven’t had a chance to specifically talk to Sammy about that one individual play.”

Goff suggested he and Watkins weren’t on the same page.

“We talked about it. He was little bit confused on it,” Goff said. “But we’re good and it’s nothing that can’t be fixed overnight. It’s uncharacteristic – don’t expect that to happen.”

Whether Watkins was just confused or his frustrations rendered him disinterested, the Rams have a situation on their hands.

It’s been more than two months since the Rams traded for Watkins. That’s more than enough time to get him up to speed with the offense.

And if a lack of touches is distracting him into indifference, McVay, Goff and Watkins need to get that squashed immediately.

Maybe Watkins just had one of those days. And maybe one of those days turned into one of those nights and his fingers got the best of him on Twitter.

Maybe.

But we all know wide receivers have a touch of diva to them sometimes. Most of the time it’s just a harmless – albeit frustrating – dynamic to deal with. But sometimes it can turn a locker room upside down and turn seasons sideways.

The Rams have too much good going on to let that happen.

Might be time to have a little talk with Mr. Watkins.

[www.ocregister.com]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Appears we have issues to address. At this time it looks like the Bills buffalo'dthe Rams getting that #2 selection.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
McVay already addressed (squashed) this.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Appears we have issues to address. At this time it looks like the Bills buffalo'dthe Rams getting that #2 selection.

don't be too quick to judge. plenty more weeks to get this thing going.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
1 catch in 2 games yeah I get the frustration. Imagine if that happens to Dez. You'd think Watkins would be good enough for 2-3 catches a game minimum. Everett is also not getting the ball. But I'm not panicking on either player, I just want to see these guys get the ball more.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This is make or break year for Watkins if he plans on staying in LA. The guy has all the talent in the world but he has always been a diva and has always made his frustration public. This offense can be elite if this guys gets his emotions in line and just plays.
If this continues I don't think we see him in a rams jersey next season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams made the deal with the caveat that if they did not keep Watkins they would be awarded a compensatory selection when he signs with another team, which could be a 4th so a 2nd for a 4th & a 6th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
don't be too quick to judge. plenty more weeks to get this thing going.

RAMS always seem to be working hard into the future in hoping that this team will get things going ....rarely do they ever come close. Quick to judge on such matters as this .........I have over a half century of judging usually correctly .....I think I will ride with my judgement a lille longer. I still have a little hope left but I will not use it on Watkins any longer I'll save it for another Ram.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Watkins is handling this extremely well. Inside, he must be frustrated and furious, and knowing how he handled things in Buffalo he must be doing everything he can now to keep his mouth shut. It must be extremely frustrating because this is a contract year for Sammy and big bucks are on the line.

All that's happened so far is two cryptic tweets. I'd say Sammy (so far) is taking one for the team.

But we'll see what happens in the coming weeks should his lack of touches continue.

fearsomefour

Legend
Don't much care about this.
Watkins is one piece and frankly he isent that huge a difference maker. It is clear that other less hyped WRs will have success in McVays system. Whether Watkins breaks out or not resigning him is down the list a bit.
That said woukd be great to have him. But, he ain't that freaking special.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Watkins arguably cost the Rams the Seattle game. That ball he gave up on should of been a TD. Hopefully its been addressed and fixed. But Watkins only needs to be frustrated with himself.

I really like Watkins and think he is great for this team, but he needs to get his head on straight. The missed TD is frustrating because it was an effort issue not a physical issue.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Watkins asked Holt to look at film and tell him what's wrong, hopefully Holt reaches out and gives him some good advice, I wouldn't be surprised if he does, he is still invested in the Rams.

We'll get it worked out, and we'll get him the ball. Too much talent not to.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
His remarkable catch over the shoulder against the Niners caused the Cowboys to roll coverage his way and our offense became more effective as a result. I predicted BEFORE the Seahawk game that Sherman whould shadow Watkins leaving Woods to be the best target. The long pass play Watkins thought he was running a decoy route is actually instructional. EVERY ROUTE in McVay’s offense is a potential catch based on Jared’s read of the defense whereas in Buffalo, they might say every route was important, but truly it wasn’t. That offense was built to run and Tyrod would let Sammy know he was primary off play action deep passes.

I suspect McVay will iron this out with Sammy. The we not me should prevail. This was the first true test of that conviction

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Sammy and McVay need to solve this together. Sammy needs to run every route as if the ball is coming to him, no matter what. And McVay needs to try to get the ball in his hands more.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bonsignore: As Sammy Watkins opened a window into his frustration, Rams need to get that nonsense squashed ASAP

ax028_2ef1_9.jpg

Rams wide receiver Sammy Watkins gets between San Francisco cornerback Jimmie Ward and defensive back Dontae Johnson to score a touchdown during the second half their game in Santa Clara on a Thursday night game last month. It is one of two TD catches Watkins has on the year among his 14 receptions for 211 yards. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) Sammy Watkins, Jimmie Ward, Dontae Johnson

Lost in all the Rams mistakes and turnovers and one very big dropped pass Sunday in a frustrating 16-10 loss was the misuse – or non use – of dynamic wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

But if the Rams and head coach Sean McVay hoped the omission of Watkins in the execution of Sunday’s game plan would just sort of slip through the cracks, Watkins had other ideas.

As in a few not-so cryptic Tweets Sunday night in which he provided a window into his frustrations over the one pass catch he has over the last two weeks and being targeted just four times on Sunday.

Wide receivers can be a divaish type bunch. Especially the really good ones who insist they’re open even when they’re covered. It’s part of what makes them so great, of course, and the really, really, really good ones are dynamic enough to bust up all sorts of coverage schemes or even beat multiple defenders to make plays lesser receivers can only dream of making.

The Rams traded for Watkins this summer specifically to add that type of charisma and mindset to an offense lacking dynamic force of nature on the perimeter.

But there’s a warning tag typically attached to those kinds of players. Their need for love, attention and above all else touches can sometimes get the best of them when they feel neglected.

And sometimes they lash out as a result.

That happened on Sunday. And it’s on McVay and quarterback Jared Goff to get it squashed as soon as possible less this morphs into a bigger problem.

It all started innocently enough when former Rams wide receiver Torry Holt observed on Twitter:

“Sammy Watkins 0 catches on four targets, Watkins now has 1 catch for 17 yards over his past two games.”

To which Watkins replied: “Something gotta be going on” along with a curious emoji.

Later, Twitter user @jalensampson tweeted: “He needs more targets, they need to put him outside and in slot he’ll do work if he gets his looks.”

Watkins replied: “True.”

Oh uh.

Before anyone starts worrying Watkins might already be thinking about an exit strategy at the end of the season – he’s in the last year of his contract – keep in mind he was loud and clear that he’s enjoying his new home with the Rams in Los Angeles by responding to @bhem32 observation “Back to buffalo after the season” by replying: “I love it where I’m at bud.”

Nevertheless, Watkins, who had a history in Buffalo of voicing his displeasure when he felt he wasn’t getting enough touches, is obviously feeling a bit overlooked the last two weeks.

He’s been largely a decoy against the Cowboys and Seahawks, and while the defensive attention he generates provides more room for fellow receivers Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and Todd Gurley to operate, Watkins is simply too dynamic to go such long stretches without getting thrown to.

It’s a fine line, though, as it makes little sense to force the issue to Watkins while passing up open windows to Cupp, Woods and others.

“By no means do I want to force (anyone) the ball,” said Rams quarterback Jared Goff. “Just continue to let them get open in the framework of the play and work the ball to them.”

Said McVay: “The flow of the game kind of dictates and determines whatever plays we feel like are going to work best.”

By the way, it’s somewhat ironic Watkins chose Sunday to voice concerns as, even when he was targeted, his level engagement was, well, lacking.

Watkins made minimal efforts to go get the ball on two passes that came his way, the most blatant coming on a long ball Goff unleashed to him that Watkins either didn’t know was coming or didn’t bother to go chase down.

“I think it was probably one of those plays that he didn’t expect it,” McVay said. “I’d have to talk to Sammy about that. Until you go back and truly look at it, I can’t say and I haven’t had a chance to specifically talk to Sammy about that one individual play.”

Goff suggested he and Watkins weren’t on the same page.

“We talked about it. He was little bit confused on it,” Goff said. “But we’re good and it’s nothing that can’t be fixed overnight. It’s uncharacteristic – don’t expect that to happen.”

Whether Watkins was just confused or his frustrations rendered him disinterested, the Rams have a situation on their hands.

It’s been more than two months since the Rams traded for Watkins. That’s more than enough time to get him up to speed with the offense.

And if a lack of touches is distracting him into indifference, McVay, Goff and Watkins need to get that squashed immediately.

Maybe Watkins just had one of those days. And maybe one of those days turned into one of those nights and his fingers got the best of him on Twitter.

Maybe.

But we all know wide receivers have a touch of diva to them sometimes. Most of the time it’s just a harmless – albeit frustrating – dynamic to deal with. But sometimes it can turn a locker room upside down and turn seasons sideways.

The Rams have too much good going on to let that happen.

[www.ocregister.com]
"Maybe" it's just me, but "Maybe" This writer is drumming up Trouble, sending out a picture of trouble were there is none!
Watkin's has also said he didn't care, like he use to, about how many Targets he got! He only wanted to do what helped the team Win!

Might be time for the writer to find another Topic!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't much care about this.
Watkins is one piece and frankly he isent that huge a difference maker. It is clear that other less hyped WRs will have success in McVays system. Whether Watkins breaks out or not resigning him is down the list a bit.
That said woukd be great to have him. But, he ain't that freaking special.
Watkins is elite what he did in Buffalo was no fluke. The difference is they gave him the ball Often and early because that’s what you do when you have a talent at WR like him. He out battles anyone for the ball in the air. And who’s to say that Kupp and the rest of the gang would be this productive without Watkins.

This offense is at a crossroads. If McVay can’t stay with the running game and continue to let Goff pass the ball 40 times a game it’s going to be a very long season. We have to use the weapons we do have so that the other guys can continue to have success because pretty soon the defense is going to figure out that McVay likes the crossing route to woods and Kupp the seam routes with TE and passes to the flat

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is all I was trying to say yesterday... he put it better than I did.

McVay already addressed (squashed) this.
@-X-, Can you post the McVay response for me? Thanks!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw Watkins frustration on that 3-10 play that went to brown he was open in the middle of the end zone like completely open. The thing is though the play was never designed to go that way I think Goff has a couple reads with Woods and Kupp if they wasn’t open to check it down. We got the first down but missed a opportunity for a touchdown if he looks to Watkins

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
"Maybe" it's just me, but "Maybe" This writer is drumming up Trouble, sending out a picture of trouble were there is none!
Watkin's has also said he didn't care, like he use to, about how many Targets he got! He only wanted to do what helped the team Win!

Might be time for the writer to find another Topic!
No, we all saw watkins effort. Watkins was sending a message. Plus vinnie doesnt make shit up. He has been right on all the way back with rams coming home, well before other reporters.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Pouting and slacking off isn't the best way to get what you desire. Working your @$$ off is a better approach.