Bears trade out of #1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Aside from Warren Moon, maybe Randall Cunningham, and Russell Wilson, have we seen one that can legitimately play as a runner and a pocket passer?
I still stand by Steve Young being the best “complete” dual threat QB ever.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
@Elmgrovegnome

The inherent problem with the “running quarterback”, is that they aren’t usually good at both facets of the position. Once their legs go, or teams figure out how to contain them, they are not good enough to play from the pocket.
I really would be interested to know your definition of a running QB. Is this is it?
Aside from Warren Moon, maybe Randall Cunningham, and Russell Wilson, have we seen one that can legitimately play as a runner and a pocket passer? Technically Russ was more of a scrambler.
Dude what? Warren Moon was never a running QB, he had like 1700 rushing yards in his 16 year career and is ranked 45 in rushing yards all time? Russ is not more of a scrambler he has the third most rushing yards by a QB in the history of the league with 4966.

Any other QB that can run who has been successful? Here is a list of QB's with their place on the all time rushing and passing lists rank:

All-Time Rushing Rank/ All-Time Passing Rank

Russel Wilson 3/21
Cam Newton 2/46
Randall Cunnigham 4/53
Steve Young 6/42
Fran Tarkenton 7/14
Steve McNair 8/51
Aaron Rodgers 9/9
Donovan McNabb 10/27
John Elway 11/12
Josh Allen 13/126

So let me ask you this @Elmgrovegnome Do you consider Josh Allen a running QB yes or no?
Also, Do you consider Aaron Rodgers to be a running QB? yes or no?
or Tim Tebow? yes or no?

Most of the running QBs come from simplified offenses in college and never had to prove that they can handle an NFL offense. They end up playing in a simplified NFL offense that stops working as soon as their legs do.
Ryan Day runs a Pro Style offense, and OSU has run a Pro Style offense for a while now. That alone doesn't mean QB's are going to be successful but Ryan Day spends an enormous amount of time developing his QB's that can run. It's always well worth studying your opponent as a Michigan fan to understand the why, who, what, where, how's.
So you may get 8 years of good running QB play like Cam Newton, or you could see them not reach their second contract like RG3.

RG3 didn't reach his 2nd contract because Mike Shannahan is a complete moron and kept him in that playoff game that completely fucked his leg and didn't protect his own player from himself.

Does a statue usually have a longer career than a QB who has the ability to scramble? Yeah, I'll give you that.

Bears and Lions will be an interesting rivalry to watch over the next few years. Both have been historically awful for the most part (minus a few Bears flashes) but both seem to be building something the "right way" at the moment. All comes down to that QB position though. Will Fields continue to grow while staying healthy and will Goff keep the reigns or get a case of the turnovers again and gets replaced by Hooker in a year? Both teams in position to become the new kings of the North with Rodgers gone and Vikings with choke master Cousins.
Fuck yeah it's going to be! The Lions got a head start on them and the culture, FO, and coaching staff is pretty solid finally.

Honestly, Fields' problem is working on staying in passing mode and not automatically switching to running it to make something happen. He's very capable with running and throwing but we know it's only a matter of time before he gets hurt if he runs as much as he has. The good news is he is starting to get a supporting cast to help him out and he'll most likely only have to move around or out the pocket now if need be and his WR's now can create separation.

Going to love to see Goff with a running game now! Fuck this is going to be interesting if the Lions can compete in the NFC now. Now that they built up their D it's going to be interesting to see how fast they can gel together.
Hey - didn't you watch Men in Black - those are the news stories that are true
Will Smith Crickets GIF

McKee just barely even got drafted, and rightfully so IMO. I'm not sure what anyone really saw in him personally. Sure, he's worth a late pick dart throw, but not more.
Yep late round flyer is good for him. he had a good completion % which is highly important for a QB showing he has the talent and football IQ to make good decisions with the football, however his TD to INT ration is complete shit which makes me question him entirely. 13/8 last year? meh...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome

I really would be interested to know your definition of a running QB. Is this is it?

Dude what? Warren Moon was never a running QB, he had like 1700 rushing yards in his 16 year career and is ranked 45 in rushing yards all time? Russ is not more of a scrambler he has the third most rushing yards by a QB in the history of the league with 4966.

Any other QB that can run who has been successful? Here is a list of QB's with their place on the all time rushing and passing lists rank:

All-Time Rushing Rank/ All-Time Passing Rank

Russel Wilson 3/21
Cam Newton 2/46
Randall Cunnigham 4/53
Steve Young 6/42
Fran Tarkenton 7/14
Steve McNair 8/51
Aaron Rodgers 9/9
Donovan McNabb 10/27
John Elway 11/12
Josh Allen 13/126

So let me ask you this @Elmgrovegnome Do you consider Josh Allen a running QB yes or no?
Also, Do you consider Aaron Rodgers to be a running QB? yes or no?
or Tim Tebow? yes or no?

Ryan Day runs a Pro Style offense, and OSU has run a Pro Style offense for a while now. That alone doesn't mean QB's are going to be successful but Ryan Day spends an enormous amount of time developing his QB's that can run. It's always well worth studying your opponent as a Michigan fan to understand the why, who, what, where, how's.

RG3 didn't reach his 2nd contract because Mike Shannahan is a complete moron and kept him in that playoff game that completely fucked his leg and didn't protect his own player from himself.

Does a statue usually have a longer career than a QB who has the ability to scramble? Yeah, I'll give you that.

Fuck yeah it's going to be! The Lions got a head start on them and the culture, FO, and coaching staff is pretty solid finally.

Honestly, Fields' problem is working on staying in passing mode and not automatically switching to running it to make something happen. He's very capable with running and throwing but we know it's only a matter of time before he gets hurt if he runs as much as he has. The good news is he is starting to get a supporting cast to help him out and he'll most likely only have to move around or out the pocket now if need be and his WR's now can create separation.

Going to love to see Goff with a running game now! Fuck this is going to be interesting if the Lions can compete in the NFC now. Now that they built up their D it's going to be interesting to see how fast they can gel together.

Will Smith Crickets GIF

Yep late round flyer is good for him. he had a good completion % which is highly important for a QB showing he has the talent and football IQ to make good decisions with the football, however his TD to INT ration is complete shit which makes me question him entirely. 13/8 last year? meh...
A running QB to me is one that relies heavily on running the ball to make the offense go. Hurts is a running QB. I don’t consider Josh Allen to be a running QB. I know he runs when plays break down but he is not a one read and run style of QB.

I considered Tarkenton and Wilson to be scramblers. Maybe Russ was more of a runner early on. My idea of a scrambler is a QB that moves out of the pocket while keeping his eyes down field with the preference to pass first if it is a designed pass play. Wilson reads more than one target

Ohio State has a very simplified Pro Style offense. I wouldn’t even call it that but you can. Day’s offense doesn’t work well with a pocket passer. He needs that running element for it to work.

I find it odd that you are making such a long post on the subject. Maybe I should have simplified it and just said that Fields sucks if he can’t run. So does Hurts and Kyler Murray. Cam, Vick, and Cunningham had the same problem. Lamar does too. Russ didn’t.

What do they all have in common? They are running QBs. It’s a big gamble. I know any QB can be injured at any time. But it’s less likely to happen if they stay in the pocket more and run less.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'd agree with this because Young was more prone to run for yardage. If Elway was more like that he would probably have been the best dual threat, but like Mahomes he would scramble around mostly to buy time to kill you downfield with his arm. He was an insane athlete though and like Young demonstrated how the QB needed the rest of the team around him to win big games. Stafford also is an example of that.

But yes Young had some runs where I think he juked damn near every member of our defense. So irritating.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fran Tarkenton to @Mojo Ram " am I a joke to you?"

Fran was before my time by a bit.

I dug into the rushing numbers, even though numbers aren’t everything.

Both played 13 years
Rushing…Young avg 25 ypg
Tark 15 ypg

Young 43 rushing TD
Tark rushing 32 TD

I can’t say if Tark was a better pure passer than Young. Young was pretty damned good. Super accurate, smart with good arm strength. He was a better passer than all of these modern dual threat guys and better than Cunningham and Vick.

Young’s rushing ability doesn’t get talked about enough…unless someone talks about the best dual threat QB ever. ;)

Edit: Okay he wasn’t a better passer than ALL of the modern dual threat guys. Mahomes is a magician.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
But yes Young had some runs where I think he juked damn near every member of our defense. So irritating.
Yeah dude some of those vs our guys made the NFL football follies on VHS. Lol so bad.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are so many younger fans who don’t realize how dangerous he was. Some of his runs, especially against the Rams were absolutely amazing & heart breaking.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There are so many younger fans who don’t realize how dangerous he was. Some of his runs, especially against the Rams were absolutely amazing & heart breaking.
Yeah he’d shred your defense with the pass, and when you’d get a decent pass rush he’d explode for 10-20 yards like it was nothing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Anyway, Da Bears…

When was the last time the Bears won a playoff game?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Bears are very low on my list of NFL teams. I don’t like seeing them do well. They can suck for 15 years and once they have a good season then they are media darlings over night.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dual threat means just that. IMO, If a guy is a threat to run for a 1st down, he's a run threat.
Roger Staubach, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes & Russell Wilson would be my top 5.
Steve McNair gets an honorable mention in my book because my gawd, playing for Jeff Fisher was like being forced to throw left handed.
Cunningham misses my list because when he could run, he wasnt a good passer and when he became a good passer, he couldnt run that well any more.
Steve Young isnt on my list because for 1, fuck Steve Young lol and 2 he couldnt do shit before stepping in to the 49ers gig. At least Montana proved he could play at a high level elsewhere, Young sucked at Tampa and the USFL
Lamar is close to the list, real close. Now he has a couple of WR, I'm curious to see how his game goes
I cant figure where I'd put Donovan McNabb

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Last time Da Bears won a playoff game was Jan 2011 vs the Seahawks

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a big year for Fields. He's entering his third season and would be in line for an extension if he excels.

“I’m not worried about contracts, I’m worried about wins,” he said.

Bears Owner: "I'm not paying you a big contract so I'm really glad you're not worried about it!"

Bears.jpg