Bears Rams Trade Rumor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, I can't imagine we didn't call the Bears to ask what it would take to get to 7. They may have said, we'd love Brockers and the Rams are saying no. Both rumor and truth in that.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well, I can't imagine we didn't call the Bears to ask what it would take to get to 7. They may have said, we'd love Brockers and the Rams are saying no. Both rumor and truth in that.
c'mon.. we don't want rational explanations. it is the silly season. only raw emotions allowed :)

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Jim Thomas tweeted Kevin Demoff has apparently said that Brockers isn't getting traded.

I can only imagine how pissed he's gonna be if it happens.

*Brockers gets traded*

JT:
2czqd79.jpg

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The worrying thing for me is the fact that it's all going a bit 'Madden' with all of this cutting and swapping of players - a player is more than just a position on the field its a part of a unit on a team. Our d-line, in my mind is our most solid unit, don't tinker with it, brining in guys for freshness and rotational strength, great, but if you keep changing players you're never going to get that cohesion that you need to be better than your opposition
I think we'll have enough turmoil on the offensive line and at quarterback that they probably don't want to add variables elsewhere, especially on the defensive line.

JYB

Starter
I guess you can look at it like this

Would you trade Kevin Whites potential for Michael Brockers Run Stuffing? Bearing in mind we have a ridiculous DL anyway

Then why not offer them a third round pick instead of Brockers, since those three spots are worth a third rounder?

Isn't that better than giving Brockers away? Isn't he worth more than a 3rd round pick?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Found this on the world wide web....posting purely for the entertainment value. And also to see if @Memento will blow a gasket lol

Yeah, thanks a lot. I'm already down two sports teams (as we don't have another ace available to replace Wainwright, I'm not optimistic about the chance of the Cardinals making the postseason. And please don't even mention the Blues). I don't need my faith destroyed with this one as well.

V3

Hall of Fame
What? He had 5.5 sacks in 2013. That's a lot for a DT. You actually CANT compare them considering their size and speed. Aaron Donald is one of the best DTs in the game already and Brockers is probably top 12. I really don't understand this thought process.
5.5 sacks is good for a DT if he can put up those numbers every year. He doesn't. Last year it was 2. I expect more if you're going to take a DT that high. And I'm not even exclusively looking at his sacks. When I watched him last year, I was specifically watching how many times he was double teamed, if he pushed the middle of the pocket back, if he could shed his blocker, etc. He was bad for the first half. He got better but not to the status that people are claiming here. You'd think the Rams were thinking about trading a Pro Bowler. And I don't see what size and speed have to do with whether you can compare the two. Different body type DT's can all be successful. The argument was whether he was worth where he was drafted:

Has Michael Brockers as the 14th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft made good on that value when Aaron Donald's career is off to a much more productive start in one year after being selected with the 13th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft?

I don't think he was. I don't think many NT's in a 4-3 are worth where he was drafted. If you're taking a DT that high, you're doing it for his speed rush ability. Brockers doesn't have that. Fisher clearly thought Brockers would be able to get sacks or he wouldn't have made the comments he did after that draft. He's had one solid year for sacks. Beyond that, contracts for multiple players are coming due. The Rams have to decide who to keep. A player like Brockers is a lot easier to replace in the draft than a player like Fairley(if he stays healthy), Foles, Jenkins, Johnson, etc. It's smart football management to try and get something of value from a player now than to get nothing by letting them walk next year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
5.5 sacks is good for a DT if he can put up those numbers every year. He doesn't. Last year it was 2. I expect more if you're going to take a DT that high. And I'm not even exclusively looking at his sacks. When I watched him last year, I was specifically watching how many times he was double teamed, if he pushed the middle of the pocket back, if he could shed his blocker, etc. He was bad for the first half. He got better but not to the status that people are claiming here. You'd think the Rams were thinking about trading a Pro Bowler. And I don't see what size and speed have to do with whether you can compare the two. Different body type DT's can all be successful. The argument was whether he was worth where he was drafted:

I don't think he was. I don't think many NT's in a 4-3 are worth where he was drafted. If you're taking a DT that high, you're doing it for his speed rush ability. Brockers doesn't have that. Fisher clearly thought Brockers would be able to get sacks or he wouldn't have made the comments he did after that draft. He's had one solid year for sacks. Beyond that, contracts for multiple players are coming due. The Rams have to decide who to keep. A player like Brockers is a lot easier to replace in the draft than a player like Fairley(if he stays healthy), Foles, Jenkins, Johnson, etc. It's smart football management to try and get something of value from a player now than to get nothing by letting them walk next year.

Who says that any of those four even want to stay with the Rams after the 2015 season? We know that Brockers does. It's stupid football management to create a hole without anyone who can actually, you know, be effective in that role. And if you say that Fairley can fill that hole, then I don't know what you saw throughout his career - both college and pros. Fairley is basically a much-lesser version of Donald, except with character and motivation issues.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think we'll have enough turmoil on the offensive line and at quarterback that they probably don't want to add variables elsewhere, especially on the defensive line.

I'm all for drafting going all-in on line in the year's draft - get a young line that can work together and GROW together...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
A player like Brockers is a lot easier to replace in the draft ...It's smart football management to try and get something of value from a player now than to get nothing by letting them walk next year.
Like I said before, if the Rams start drafting players to replace current players or even worse players drafted in 2012 then there is no hope of ever putting together a compete team that can win a super bowl.