Banana taped to wall sells for $120,000.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's lame. Next thing you know some 'artist' will take a dump on a piece of cardboard, let it dry, shellac it, and call it art. I'm not into art that a 4 year old can do. I really believe that Catellan just wanted to see how gullible people can be. I can abstract anything. It's not difficult. This is akin to the guy selling the cotton ball on EBay.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Without getting too deeply into economics, the value of something is defined from the inability or lack of willingness of others to reproduce it. Other factors come in, but are way more subjective so they aren't with listing here.

I can't reproduce a Rembrandt and while some people can those paintings aren't there ones he actually did. So the paintings are super valuable. I believe it's actually been seen that most old artists work didn't sell well while they were alive. Once they died there's no way to produce more art like that, so the value goes up.

Back to the banana. It's a banana and a piece of duct tape. Literally anyone can do that, so it has no value from difficulty to reproduce. In fact, as I mentioned before, both the banana and the duct tape will have to be replaced at some interval which means after about a month the art will no longer have anything to do with the guy that made it. And because the duct tape has to be torn half off and a new banana stuck on, the purchaser basically had to recreate 75% of the art on their own every 7-10 days anyway.

So what the hell are they paying the artist for?

It's not for the materials (like the gold toilet) or the craftsmanship (like the gold toilet or a painting by someone with talent). That means it had to be something special about the the piece outside of that. The artist isn't dead, so that's out. The idea that fancy art is stupid reduces the value, so that's out. It's it that literally anything this man touches is worth $120,000? I could see some people thinking so, but that still makes it stupid.

The "art" is simply not worth what was paid for it by any measure.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's lame. Next thing you know some 'artist' will take a dump on a piece of cardboard, let it dry, shellac it, and call it art. I'm not into art that a 4 year old can do. I really believe that Catellan just wanted to see how gullible people can be. I can abstract anything. It's not difficult. This is akin to the guy selling the cotton ball on EBay.

I guess it’s lame. 150k of lame
Again, this is from a famous artist who can easily paint traditional paintings like pastoral scenes and portraits. It’s not akin to you selling cotton ball on Ebay because you are not a famous artist (just guessing here)

Try and sell a cotton ball on ebay for 150k and see what happens.

Just cause you can’r comprehend what is happening doesn’t mean it isn’t of value

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Without getting too deeply into economics, the value of something is defined from the inability or lack of willingness of others to reproduce it. Other factors come in, but are way more subjective so they aren't with listing here.

I can't reproduce a Rembrandt and while some people can those paintings aren't there ones he actually did. So the paintings are super valuable. I believe it's actually been seen that most old artists work didn't sell well while they were alive. Once they died there's no way to produce more art like that, so the value goes up.

Back to the banana. It's a banana and a piece of duct tape. Literally anyone can do that, so it has no value from difficulty to reproduce. In fact, as I mentioned before, both the banana and the duct tape will have to be replaced at some interval which means after about a month the art will no longer have anything to do with the guy that made it. And because the duct tape has to be torn half off and a new banana stuck on, the purchaser basically had to recreate 75% of the art on their own every 7-10 days anyway.

So what the hell are they paying the artist for?

It's not for the materials (like the gold toilet) or the craftsmanship (like the gold toilet or a painting by someone with talent). That means it had to be something special about the the piece outside of that. The artist isn't dead, so that's out. The idea that fancy art is stupid reduces the value, so that's out. It's it that literally anything this man touches is worth $120,000? I could see some people thinking so, but that still makes it stupid.

The "art" is simply not worth what was paid for it by any measure.

Again you’re missing the point of contemporary art and are arguing the wrong things. It has nothing to do whether you can replicate it - any rembrandt can be replicated too. Quite easily in fact. But a copy of a rembrandt doesn’t make it of equal value or of any value at all. Cause it’s not a rembrandt.

Lots of people can draw and paint - most of them end up at Six Flags. You know all about this right? You have a cousin or buddy from high school that was considered “artistic” and ended up making these goofy big-headed cartoon renderings.

Tell me what the difference is between the artist who made the banana sculpture (titles Comedian) and the artist who makes these drawings below.

4969F4A4-1291-4DC2-980D-831EB9F8B75F.jpeg
85BE96C9-97A7-4DB4-A3C1-D569D20AD852.jpeg

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The guy below has artistic talent. Taped banana man has talent fleecing the gullible.

It’s okay not to like a work if art and think the art sucks. That’s totally fine - everyone has their opinion. Personally I am not a huge fan of this particularly but doesn’t mean it isn’t 100% legit

If taped banana is such a fleecing of the gullible why hasn’t it been down before? I mean there are con artists everywhere - how come these pranksters aren’t making hundreds of thousands of dollars selling bananas? Maybe the answer is because it isn’t easy to accomplish no matter what your opinion of the work is.

What are your thoughts on this painting?
I mean let’s hear your opinion on this. Is it art to you? Is it something your child can do? Your answers will say a lot about your knowledge of the art world. And it’s okay to not have any idea what is really happening in the art world. You don’t have to understand. It’s okay. But again just cause you like or don’t like, if you understand it or not, doesn’t mean it isn’t real or 100% legitimate.

B7F59C3E-9CB1-423B-A4A1-18473B3DA893.jpeg

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Again you’re missing the point of contemporary art and are arguing the wrong things. It has nothing to do whether you can replicate it - any rembrandt can be replicated too. Quite easily in fact. But a copy of a rembrandt doesn’t make it of equal value or of any value at all. Cause it’s not a rembrandt.

Lots of people can draw and paint - most of them end up at Six Flags. You know all about this right? You have a cousin or buddy from high school that was considered “artistic” and ended up making these goofy big-headed cartoon renderings.

Tell me what the difference is between the artist who made the banana sculpture (titles Comedian) and the artist who makes these drawings below.

View attachment 32798View attachment 32799
No I think you get what I'm saying exactly. Any famous dead person painting can be replicated easily, but that doesn't matter because they aren't real famous dead person paintings.

Tons of people can do caricatures, so those people end up at Six Flags of they want to do it for a living. And they sell cheap, not for 120k.

Sculptures and golden toilets are a slightly different story.

But that's the point. Easily replicable things are cheap. Irreplaceable things are expensive.

Nothing about a banana with duct tape is irreplaceable. Therefore they are paying for the fact that this one artist touched it. But after a month when they have to replace the real l raise and the banana the owner will realize they paid 120k for garbage. Everything the artist touched will be in the trash. New duct tape and a new banana will be in the wall.

So in a totally not-adversarial and genuinely attempting to understand way, what's the point in paying for a piece that will literally be in the garbage in 4 weeks while you hang something on the wall that you could have hung on the wall (and it would be literally indistinguishable in every way from the original) without paying 120k for? The idea is free, it's already out there. So you aren't paying for the idea.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No I think you get what I'm saying exactly. Any famous dead person painting can be replicated easily, but that doesn't matter because they aren't real famous dead person paintings.

Tons of people can do caricatures, so those people end up at Six Flags of they want to do it for a living. And they sell cheap, not for 120k.

Sculptures and golden toilets are a slightly different story.

But that's the point. Easily replicable things are cheap. Irreplaceable things are expensive.

Nothing about a banana with duct tape is irreplaceable. Therefore they are paying for the fact that this one artist touched it. But after a month when they have to replace the real l raise and the banana the owner will realize they paid 120k for garbage. Everything the artist touched will be in the trash. New duct tape and a new banana will be in the wall.

So in a totally not-adversarial and genuinely attempting to understand way, what's the point in paying for a piece that will literally be in the garbage in 4 weeks while you hang something on the wall that you could have hung on the wall (and it would be literally indistinguishable in every way from the original) without paying 120k for? The idea is free, it's already out there. So you aren't paying for the idea.

Nice
Yeah, I see we are on the same page. Forgive me if I somehow misunderstood your post. Thanks for clarifying. With that said we spent a few minutes talking about it so to that extent it might be worth 150k of publicity and for the guy who owns it it might be a decent investment with that in mind.
Would I pay for duct tape banana........ no. I don’t like bananas
:p

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Nice
Yeah, I see we are on the same page. Forgive me if I somehow misunderstood your post. Thanks for clarifying. With that said we spent a few minutes talking about it so to that extent it might be worth 150k of publicity and for the guy who owns it it might be a decent investment with that in mind.
Would I pay for duct tape banana........ no. I don’t like bananas
:p
Fair enough.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess it’s lame. 150k of lame
Again, this is from a famous artist who can easily paint traditional paintings like pastoral scenes and portraits. It’s not akin to you selling cotton ball on Ebay because you are not a famous artist (just guessing here)

Try and sell a cotton ball on ebay for 150k and see what happens.

Just cause you can’r comprehend what is happening doesn’t mean it isn’t of value

Someone sold a ghost in a jar for $56,000 on EBay. Just because this guy is a known artist it doesn’t make everything he does great. It’s more like he reached a certain level of fame so now he can lick a mirror and sell it for $100,000. It’s foolishness. His banana took no effort and the slightest bit of thought. Like I said, you can abstract anything and call it art. This guy just happens to be someone. Kind of like buying Justin Timberlake’s French toast. It’s worthless to 99% of the public but to 1% it’s awesome. So does that mean 99% of the population just doesn’t get it and that 1% are artistic genius’? No. It mean the 1% are trying to be unique or are just crazy. What would you pay for that banana taped to the wall?

I guess for me it’s just that I’m not impressed by titles or fame. In the end we are all just people. And just because somebody is recognized as being great for something, it doesn’t mean everything that person does is actually great.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And prior to the banana he duct taped people to a wall. So the banana suddenly doesnt see so original

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Someone sold a ghost in a jar for $56,000 on EBay. Just because this guy is a known artist it doesn’t make everything he does great. It’s more like he reached a certain level of fame so now he can lick a mirror and sell it for $100,000. It’s foolishness. His banana took no effort and the slightest bit of thought. Like I said, you can abstract anything and call it art. This guy just happens to be someone. Kind of like buying Justin Timberlake’s French toast. It’s worthless to 99% of the public but to 1% it’s awesome. So does that mean 99% of the population just doesn’t get it and that 1% are artistic genius’? No. It mean the 1% are trying to be unique or are just crazy. What would you pay for that banana taped to the wall?

I guess for me it’s just that I’m not impressed by titles or fame. In the end we are all just people. And just because somebody is recognized as being great for something, it doesn’t mean everything that person does is actually great.

I totally get it
I archive film and art trusts for a living - I am an artist and filmmaker but those gigs take years and you end up having to make a living doing other things. The archive I am currently working on requires me to go through box after box of a famous person’s “junk.” I ate a pound of dust looking through box after box of newspaper clippings, invites, letters, etc, organizing it for the trust. To my point, I found a letter personal letter from John Lennon asking the famous person if they could meet up in NYC. Now it’s just a letter. A piece of paper. John Lennon was just communicating to the guy and it had no relevance to him outside of a simple written communication. Does that mean it isn’t worth 10k? I guess to you you’d say it was worthless. But to me it is something that is worth major digits.
Is the letter great? On face value probably not. But that doesn’t change the fact that it has a value far beyond what you think of it. Doesn’t matter what % thinks it is worth ot or not. Maybe you like John Lennon and think it is worth more than a banana and duct tape or maybe you don’t or maybe you think it’s all garbage that belongs in a dusty box -- but your opinion has zero impact on reality.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
View attachment 32814 he also did this. Yeah he’s a genius

You seem angry about his success.
You seem to be resentful of his art and that it makes money. I can’t help you there

Again you don’t have to like it or approve of it for it to be valuable.

Again you don’t have to understand it or like it. It is clear you don’t. We all get that you don’t like banana and duct tape. No matter what anyone says to show you that the art world is just a little more dynamic than you want it to be you are dead set on negating it.

That is totally fine and I totally get where you are coming from. I mean it’s a banana and duct tape. But no matter what you think it doesn’t change the reality that his art is valuable. Whether you like it or not

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Apparently someone has already eaten the banana, but the certificate of authenticity says the banana can be replaced and the art is still in tact (because of rotting). So I guess it's all good? I'm curious if the certificate of authenticity also included a provision for the tape not being sticky anymore so it could be replaced. If so, we can all make this certified art piece at home.
I think the certificate says that the banana can be replaced after eaten by the byproduct of the original thus improving its value in that the old piece of shit has been repurposed to the new piece of shit.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s okay not to like a work if art and think the art sucks. That’s totally fine - everyone has their opinion. Personally I am not a huge fan of this particularly but doesn’t mean it isn’t 100% legit

If taped banana is such a fleecing of the gullible why hasn’t it been down before? I mean there are con artists everywhere - how come these pranksters aren’t making hundreds of thousands of dollars selling bananas? Maybe the answer is because it isn’t easy to accomplish no matter what your opinion of the work is.

What are your thoughts on this painting?
I mean let’s hear your opinion on this. Is it art to you? Is it something your child can do? Your answers will say a lot about your knowledge of the art world. And it’s okay to not have any idea what is really happening in the art world. You don’t have to understand. It’s okay. But again just cause you like or don’t like, if you understand it or not, doesn’t mean it isn’t real or 100% legitimate.

View attachment 32805
I'm sure its been done before. Most likely in pre-school. The fact that someone received a "Certificate of Authenticity" from the con"artist" doesn't change the fact that it isn't art. It's an expensive pat on the head from the "artist" in recognition of the substantial dent in the fan boy buyers wallet. Literally no artistic skill was involved in the work which evokes nothing other than incredulity at the ridiculous nature of the event. It is an event. An event that has generated notoriety for the "artist". Sure that has future financial value to the "artist" but art it is not.

The painting is not something that interests me enough to spend my money on unless I knew I could make a quick substantial profit. It evokes nothing in me other than amazement that anyone could view it as art. If a work needs a back story of any kind for someone to understand it then IMO it is of dubious artistic value. Might be valued astronomically in $ but it is collecting something from a celebrity, no different than collecting an autograph or car or anything else that commands a higher price simply due to it's provenance. The taped banana with the "Certificate of Authenticity" is a ridiculous example.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm sure its been done before. Most likely in pre-school. The fact that someone received a "Certificate of Authenticity" from the con"artist" doesn't change the fact that it isn't art. It's an expensive pat on the head from the "artist" in recognition of the substantial dent in the fan boy buyers wallet. Literally no artistic skill was involved in the work which evokes nothing other than incredulity at the ridiculous nature of the event. It is an event. An event that has generated notoriety for the "artist".

The painting is not something that interests me enough to spend my money on unless I knew I could make a quick substantial profit. It evokes nothing in me other than amazement that anyone could view it as art. If a work needs a back story of any kind for someone to understand it then IMO it is of dubious artistic value. Might be valued astronomically in $ but it is collecting something from a celebrity, no different than collecting an autograph or car or anything else that commands a higher price simply due to it's provenance. The taped banana with the "Certificate of Authenticity" is a ridiculous example.

you don’t know what the fuck your talking about

Done here

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I totally get it
I archive film and art trusts for a living - I am an artist and filmmaker but those gigs take years and you end up having to make a living doing other things. The archive I am currently working on requires me to go through box after box of a famous person’s “junk.” I ate a pound of dust looking through box after box of newspaper clippings, invites, letters, etc, organizing it for the trust. To my point, I found a letter personal letter from John Lennon asking the famous person if they could meet up in NYC. Now it’s just a letter. A piece of paper. John Lennon was just communicating to the guy and it had no relevance to him outside of a simple written communication. Does that mean it isn’t worth 10k? I guess to you you’d say it was worthless. But to me it is something that is worth major digits.
Is the letter great? On face value probably not. But that doesn’t change the fact that it has a value far beyond what you think of it. Doesn’t matter what % thinks it is worth ot or not. Maybe you like John Lennon and think it is worth more than a banana and duct tape or maybe you don’t or maybe you think it’s all garbage that belongs in a dusty box -- but your opinion has zero impact on reality.
But is the Lennon letter art? No it's ephemera. Same goes for the taped banana and it's COA.