Banana taped to wall sells for $120,000.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Trust me when I say all these artists can paint a portrait perfectly. But now the concept is king. It's just the way art changed over time due to technology. I know it is hard to understand, but an artist like Cattelan is badass.
I guess it’s lame. 150k of lame
Again, this is from a famous artist who can easily paint traditional paintings like pastoral scenes and portraits. It’s not akin to you selling cotton ball on Ebay because you are not a famous artist (just guessing here)

Try and sell a cotton ball on ebay for 150k and see what happens.

Just cause you can’r comprehend what is happening doesn’t mean it isn’t of value

OK - So I know you are into the arts. But as a son of a pretty famous artist and the husband of a pretty damn good artist, this doesn't really hold water. MANY of the artists engaged in this kind of art, can't draw and therefore cannot do what you are insinuating they can. This guy has some skills but would not stand out if not doing outlandish bullshit that the genius elites claim is brilliant. The art field is rife with examples of talentless hacks being "discovered" by "enlightened" elites.

My wife was in an art show in Seattle. The "Best of Show" got awarded to a guy who literally hung a fucking toilet seat on the wall and titled it "toilet seat on wall". It's just fucking stupid and anyone thinking a duct taped banana is art is IMO a huge part of the problem.

These dickweeds polluting the world of art could not do anything like the following and this is not about style, preferrence, etc... I have personally seen much of the work by these "contemporary artists", and they simply cannot draw to save their lives. Many came out of college programs that taught them the methodology of contrarian principles in art by professors that also could not draw or sculpt or .... but could "think outside the box".

The city of Portland paid (IIRR) $25,000 of tax payer money for an art installation that consisted of a few pieces of plywood stood on edge and painted flat green. It stood as a big FUCK YOU to real artists but fell down in the first wind storm.

Humoring and patronizing this bullshit just makes it worse. Think about it. How big a kick would you get out of it if someone made a feature length film of a green screen and then took your category at Cannes?
57323_168278516537261_4952486_o.jpg
1743560_710215539010220_1765840986_n.jpg
11921895_989239524441152_4769202723848760064_o.jpg
73498111_2678976238800797_1972352319236341760_n.jpg
flame-looking-right.jpg
img_2621.jpg
pretty-eyes.jpg

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK - So I know you are into the arts. But as a son of a pretty famous artist and the husband of a pretty damn good artist, this doesn't really hold water. MANY of the artists engaged in this kind of art, can't draw and therefore cannot do what you are insinuating they can. This guy has some skills but would not stand out if not doing outlandish bullshit that the genius elites claim is brilliant. The art field is rife with examples of talentless hacks being "discovered" by "enlightened" elites.

My wife was in an art show in Seattle. The "Best of Show" got awarded to a guy who literally hung a fucking toilet seat on the wall and titled it "toilet seat on wall". It's just fucking stupid and anyone thinking a duct taped banana is art is IMO a huge part of the problem.

These dickweeds polluting the world of art could not do anything like the following and this is not about style, preferrence, etc... I have personally seen much of the work by these "contemporary artists", and they simply cannot draw to save their lives. Many came out of college programs that taught them the methodology of contrarian principles in art by professors that also could not draw or sculpt or .... but could "think outside the box".

The city of Portland paid (IIRR) $25,000 of tax payer money for an art installation that consisted of a few pieces of plywood stood on edge and painted flat green. It stood as a big FUCK YOU to real artists but fell down in the first wind storm.

Humoring and patronizing this bullshit just makes it worse. Think about it. How big a kick would you get out of it if someone made a feature length film of a green screen and then took your category at Cannes?
View attachment 32816View attachment 32817View attachment 32818View attachment 32819View attachment 32820View attachment 32821View attachment 32822
Each of those paintings look like serious talent to me. I'd gladly hang each one in my home. Same for the horse bronze. There is no substitute for talent.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

View attachment 32816View attachment 32817View attachment 32818View attachment 32819View attachment 32820View attachment 32821View attachment 32822

Totally
Again - personally not a fan of that particular work. But I am in line with the NYTimes article I posted. That article shows how this is different than that banksy bullshit

Debating the validity and value is one thing, but saying it is a scam is another.
That’s all i am getting at.

p.s. i am currently living in and finishing up restoring the home of Ed Borein. This guy is awesome. This house was built for him by Lady Yule and was his home and studio for a while

EBC37D36-C527-415B-96CA-C0BA352A8667.jpeg
D9D44A85-75BF-464F-B3DF-93B1CFE691AB.jpeg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
p.s. i am currently living in and finishing up restoring the home of Ed Borein. This guy is awesome
Holy crap! Yeah - I'm quite familiar. My mom does a show in Cody, WY at the Western Art museum there. He has a section in that museum. Love his work. I'm not positive but I believe my mom even has one hanging in her house. Telling yuh… you gotta get up there when we're down south around Christmas. We'll be there for a few days after Christmas.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Holy crap! Yeah - I'm quite familiar. My mom does a show in Cody, WY at the Western Art museum there. He has a section in that museum. Love his work. I'm not positive but I believe my mom even has one hanging in her house. Telling yuh… you gotta get up there when we're down south around Christmas. We'll be there for a few days after Christmas.

That would be awesome! Just let me know, I’ll roll up. That would be fun.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Each of those paintings look like serious talent to me. I'd gladly hang each one in my home. Same for the horse bronze. There is no substitute for talent.

It's true, @RamFan503 mother and wife have really serious talent.

Hey @Dieter the Brock I heard a story that Dali used to buy things with checks as much as possible knowing that some people wouldn't deposit them.

Do you know if there is any truth to it?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Technically it's not a bad price.
If someone like you or me did that, it would be worth the price of a banana and the tape - like 12 cents.
Maurizio Cattelan's specialty is satirical sculptures.
But this guy is a great artist and that is why this is actually a decent price considering how much publicity it is receiving.
Keep in mind, art changed during the industrial revolution mostly because photographs replaced what artists were doing, portraits and pastoral landscapes, and over time the artist naturally shifted their styles to reflect the troubled times of industrialization -- that exists today. Trust me when I say all these artists can paint a portrait perfectly. But now the concept is king. It's just the way art changed over time due to technology. I know it is hard to understand, but an artist like Cattelan is badass.

Check these out.

View attachment 32520View attachment 32521

That looks like the most uncomfortable stable...ever.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I went to the MOMA on two different visits.

Most of the stuff was interesting, but much of it I wouldn't display if they gave it to me for nothing.

I have artists in my family so it tends to make me look at stuff like bananas taped to walls...........well to me isn't art but if it is to other people all I can say "OK".

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The guy below has artistic talent. Taped banana man has talent fleecing the gullible.

Adam Ruins Everything did an episode on this.

Basically, a LOT of the super high dollar modern art amounts to money laundering... and I can't say that I disagree.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I currently work in the art world and have managed art galleries and have easily sold over a million dollars worth of art.
My personal collection has over 300 pieces and it.
I have written about it, made it, restored it, framed it, hung it and curated exhibitions.

The art world is very often 90% hype and 10% substance.
People buy art for all sorts of reasons and usually the last reason is the only reason they should buy it and that's because they like it.
I am sold pieces for $35,000 because someone bought it out of spite.
It was given to a co-worker of the buyer upon his promotion and the person who bought it 10 years later was in line for that promotion as well. (His story).

The person who supposedly paid $120,000 for this actually could have paid that for it simply to garner the publicity they received because he owns art by the same artist.
The person who may have paid for the banana now watches his art by that same artist easily double in value.
But art is about permanence, not a banana that would last 5 days and could be replicated for under a dollar.

No initial worth, no permanence and once everybody laughs at the joke, no value.
Just the short-term shock value and the publicity.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You seem angry about his success.
You seem to be resentful of his art and that it makes money. I can’t help you there

Again you don’t have to like it or approve of it for it to be valuable.

Again you don’t have to understand it or like it. It is clear you don’t. We all get that you don’t like banana and duct tape. No matter what anyone says to show you that the art world is just a little more dynamic than you want it to be you are dead set on negating it.

That is totally fine and I totally get where you are coming from. I mean it’s a banana and duct tape. But no matter what you think it doesn’t change the reality that his art is valuable. Whether you like it or not

No I’m not angry about his success or his art. I just don’t care for you saying that I don’t get it. That abstract stuff isn’t that complex and a lot of it is downright silliness. It usually has nothing to do with aesthetic, which to me is part of art. But as a Landscape Architect I had to study art history and concepts in college. Bananas taped to the wall doesn’t do it for me but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No I’m not angry about his success or his art. I just don’t care for you saying that I don’t get it. That abstract stuff isn’t that complex and a lot of it is downright silliness. It usually has nothing to do with aesthetic, which to me is part of art. But as a Landscape Architect I had to study art history and concepts in college. Bananas taped to the wall doesn’t do it for me but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand it.

But you don’t get the fact it carries in with or without you

Art and what it is worth is bound by things outside of your aesthetic preferences as it is with mine

I haven’t once said that bananas and duct tape on walls does it for me — and I’m not taking away from the fact duct-taped bananas walls may not do it for you. But I am standing up for the idea that this artist, through his medium, has given us pause to reflect on what it is we are truly seeing. The fact we are talking about it while Goff misses an open Reynolds says enough for it’s value. I mean us x1000 is more like it, and that is worth $$$ in the end whether we think the art world is a joke or whether we think it’s a monument to justice

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But you don’t get the fact it carries in with or without you

Art and what it is worth is bound by things outside of your aesthetic preferences as it is with mine

I haven’t once said that bananas and duct tape on walls does it for me — and I’m not taking away from the fact duct-taped bananas walls may not do it for you. But I am standing up for the idea that this artist, through his medium, has given us pause to reflect on what it is we are truly seeing. The fact we are talking about it while Goff misses an open Reynolds says enough for it’s value. I mean us x1000 is more like it, and that is worth $$$ in the end whether we think the art world is a joke or whether we think it’s a monument to justice

No, I’m not arguing that there aren’t people that like duct tape bananas. There obviously are. That would be stupid of me. I said a duct taped banana is stupid and you said I don’t get it. So I took it as you saying that if I understood his art I would understand why his banana is so valuable.

I’ll rephrase. To me it’s cheap and gimmicky

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No, I’m not arguing that there aren’t people that like duct tape bananas. There obviously are. That would be stupid of me. I said a duct taped banana is stupid and you said I don’t get it. So I took it as you saying that if I understood his art I would understand why his banana is so valuable.

I’ll rephrase. To me it’s cheap and gimmicky

In the case of a duct taped banana you’re right on the mark - or better yet, right on the money.

The amount of publicity in and of itself is worth far more than 150k - lets be serious about that. It would also be a deduction one way or another. The investment will pay off 10 fold, because the artist is in fact (regardless of your or my preference) is 100% legit. And that’s only on the surface economic level.

NYTimes article again kinda states my POV on the matter, it’s a step above Banksy - do I think it’s a fuck you? Well yeah, the artist is all about saying fuck you. (I posted a sculpture image of his that is basically a giant middle finger)

I am only, again, humbly trying to suggest if you were open to what truly drives the whims of the art world and it’s market and how it evaluates art that you could acknowledge why it is actually sorta cool and really fun.

I see it as playful and wonderful for the reaction it evokes. I know the $ value will always trip people out and suck the joy out of what is meaningless and useless. But keep in mind true friendships are by definition useless. Which means we partake of them for simple joy

I guess in a weird way my defense of this sculpture is my hope we’d all just lighten up and have fun in the absurd.

But yeah, i get it. To you it sucks on face value.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In the case of a duct taped banana you’re right on the mark - or better yet, right on the money.

The amount of publicity in and of itself is worth far more than 150k - lets be serious about that. It would also be a deduction one way or another. The investment will pay off 10 fold, because the artist is in fact (regardless of your or my preference) is 100% legit. And that’s only on the surface economic level.

NYTimes article again kinda states my POV on the matter, it’s a step above Banksy - do I think it’s a fuck you? Well yeah, the artist is all about saying fuck you. (I posted a sculpture image of his that is basically a giant middle finger)

I am only, again, humbly trying to suggest if you were open to what truly drives the whims of the art world and it’s market and how it evaluates art that you could acknowledge why it is actually sorta cool and really fun.

I see it as playful and wonderful for the reaction it evokes. I know the $ value will always trip people out and suck the joy out of what is meaningless and useless. But keep in mind true friendships are by definition useless. Which means we partake of them for simple joy

I guess in a weird way my defense of this sculpture is my hope we’d all just lighten up and have fun in the absurd.

But yeah, i get it. To you it sucks on face value.

So he could crap on some cardboard, let it dry, shellac it, and it would sell.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
So he could crap on some cardboard, let it dry, shellac it, and it would sell.

Well first, he didn’t crap on cardboard, nor was there shellac involved. But if you are trying to equivocate a banana and duct tape with human feces I am not gonna vibe with that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well first, he didn’t crap on cardboard, nor was there shellac involved. But if you are trying to equivocate a banana and duct tape with human feces I am not gonna vibe with that.

No, I’m reiterating your point. It isn’t about the banana, the tape, or the wall. It isn’t even about a message. It’s the art world doing their thing. And if there is a message maybe he puts the crap on a plate and is saying Eat shit! It wouldn’t be far off the middle finger sculpture.

But I guess I don’t relate to the sorts that find such things fun. So if that’s what you mean by I don’t get it then you were right. The modern art scene, the galleries, the shows, the in depth discussions about bananas on the wall, the dressing up in artsy getups, etc,.. It’s never appealed to me.