Back Up QB to goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Mannion is the Rams #2, put him behind the starting o-line and nobody will question his ability. Do you really think that he'd still be here if McVay didn't think he was able to step in if needed?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Because Mannion hasn't had a chance to start behind a #1 OL, he isn't any good. :thinking:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion hasn't given anyone any reason to believe he's a starting calibre QB. Not sure why anyone would view him as a starter let alone one that should be paid outrageous money.
Most popular guy on the team is the back up QB

Until he actually has to play...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because Mannion hasn't had a chance to start behind a #1 OL, he isn't any good. :thinking:
Got to earn and prove you deserve to play with the #1 OL first.
He had a big chance to show what he's got against the 49ers and he failed

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sigh. Which #1 O-line and skill players were YOU watching?
Mannion hasn't given anyone any reason to believe he's a starting calibre QB. Not sure why anyone would view him as a starter let alone one that should be paid outrageous money.
Sanchez

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sigh. Which #1 O-line and skill players were YOU watching?
Plenty of skill players in that game, and a QB who checked down constantly. Keep in mind we are talking about one of the worst defenses in football he was playing against. He was terrible in the game, I get that its hard to see with orange and black colored glasses on, but to the unbiased it was obvious.
His best pass of the day (Which counted as a catch and shouldn't have) made up almost 1/3 of his total yards in the game
It was a Cleveland Browns QB type game.
So we'll see. McVay didn't go out and get a new QB which says a lot.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A couple thoughts;
Signing an "aged vet" is a tough thing to do with this collective bargaining agreement and how tight we are going to be for cap space.

What's the point of signing an aged vet who flunked out of other teams when you could *potentially* get just as much production from a cheaper guy that you develop yourself? (Allen/Perez)

Plus you have to like these coaches chances of developing a raw QB into a gameday back up that actually produces.

Plus, you at least have a opportunity to stash the young cheap guys on the practice squad while they are developing.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Mannion was not playing behind the number one offensive line versus the 49ers.
The 49ers were playing their starters and were on a four-game winning streak at that point and were playing against their number one rival.

It was our last game of the season and they were making a statement in their minds.

It was basically the 49ers starters playing our second string.
Mannion was under some serious pressure that game.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Not after you spend a number one pick in the draft on your quarterback.
Goff is going to get all the benefit of the doubt, the extra snaps, the extra coaching, the extra film room study with the coaches, etc.

It's hard for me to find fault with Mannion at this point.

I'll let the guys on the inside decide this one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not after you spend a number one pick in the draft on your quarterback.
Goff is going to get all the benefit of the doubt, the extra snaps, the extra coaching, the extra film room study with the coaches, etc.

It's hard for me to find fault with Mannion at this point.

I'll let the guys on the inside decide this one.
I've said repeatedly that I believe that McVay knows what he sees and implicitly trust that.
What he has shown on the field hasn't been good, no matter how you slice it. Certainly not going to get anyone interested in trading for him that's for sure.

Name
Coleman
I get the line//sentiment of "well, if McVay isn't looking for a new back-up QB, then Mannion is good enough for me".....I mean, I trust the Offensive Smarts of Sean McVay.....
BUT,
my eyes tell me that Sean TheBeaverHeaver Mannion does NOT have a quick release. In fact, to me, Mannion looks to have a Warren Spahn like wind-up and release. He also looks statuesque, apparently with Warren Spahn footspeed as well....IIRC Mannion had one of the slowest, if not THE slowest 40-yard dash time amongst QBs at the Combine at Indy. So to me....Mannion is a taller, younger, slower Sam WoundedKnee Bradford. Statuesque in the pocket, and another Captain Checkdown.

I thought Mannion was a waste of a #89 overall pick when it was made back in 2015....we cudda had the productive Packers WR/RB Ty Montgomery outa Stanford, instead of the BeaverHeaver outa Corvallis.
As always....JMO.

Ram65

Legend
Plenty of skill players in that game, and a QB who checked down constantly. Keep in mind we are talking about one of the worst defenses in football he was playing against. He was terrible in the game, I get that its hard to see with orange and black colored glasses on, but to the unbiased it was obvious.
His best pass of the day (Which counted as a catch and shouldn't have) made up almost 1/3 of his total yards in the game
It was a Cleveland Browns QB type game.
So we'll see. McVay didn't go out and get a new QB which says a lot.

I just watched the quick replay of the game again. They don't do slow motion replays. Mannion did check down a lot. Could have held on longer and gone through progressions. I think he looked at one maybe two options and then the check down. In his defense the backup WR group and Everett had lots of drops or close to it when he went down field. Everett 2, Cooper 2, Austin 1 Reynolds 1 and RB Brown 1 on a nice screen set up. Surprised by how many there were as I wasn't doing a running total and started to lose track.That long throw to Thomas was a nice pass. Mannion can throw it. He made some poor throws near inside the 10 yard line.

IIRC that's his first start. He hadn't seen much game action during any regular season games previously. Taking another look at this game I come away with the thought that it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. He did show the ability to throw down field when given some time. He did make some bad throw and hurried check down throws. He did make some really good throws too. He was playing with mostly second stringer at skill positions and on the line. I don't see Mannion commanding much of a market as a free agent next year. He is a pocket passer that hasn't created much offense.

I'm all for competition at backup QB. I think whoever gets the job needs to get more playing time. Should the Rams get some big leads I want to see the backup QB get reps in the regular season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just watched the quick replay of the game again. They don't do slow motion replays. Mannion did check down a lot. Could have held on longer and gone through progressions. I think he looked at one maybe two options and then the check down. In his defense the backup WR group and Everett had lots of drops or close to it when he went down field. Everett 2, Cooper 2, Austin 1 Reynolds 1 and RB Brown 1 on a nice screen set up. Surprised by how many there were as I wasn't doing a running total and started to lose track.That long throw to Thomas was a nice pass. Mannion can throw it. He made some poor throws near inside the 10 yard line.

IIRC that's his first start. He hadn't seen much game action during any regular season games previously. Taking another look at this game I come away with the thought that it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. He did show the ability to throw down field when given some time. He did make some bad throw and hurried check down throws. He did make some really good throws too. He was playing with mostly second stringer at skill positions and on the line. I don't see Mannion commanding much of a market as a free agent next year. He is a pocket passer that hasn't created much offense.

I'm all for competition at backup QB. I think whoever gets the job needs to get more playing time. Should the Rams get some big leads I want to see the backup QB get reps in the regular season.
IIRC he ripped a beauty of a pass to Pharoh Cooper too

Bayrams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bayrams
I agree with Dieter Brock. Sean McVay would not keep Mannion had he not seen "something" in practice that made him believe that Mannion is backup quality.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the line//sentiment of "well, if McVay isn't looking for a new back-up QB, then Mannion is good enough for me".....I mean, I trust the Offensive Smarts of Sean McVay.....
BUT,
my eyes tell me that Sean TheBeaverHeaver Mannion does NOT have a quick release. In fact, to me, Mannion looks to have a Warren Spahn like wind-up and release. He also looks statuesque, apparently with Warren Spahn footspeed as well....IIRC Mannion had one of the slowest, if not THE slowest 40-yard dash time amongst QBs at the Combine at Indy. So to me....Mannion is a taller, younger, slower Sam WoundedKnee Bradford. Statuesque in the pocket, and another Captain Checkdown.

I thought Mannion was a waste of a #89 overall pick when it was made back in 2015....we cudda had the productive Packers WR/RB Ty Montgomery outa Stanford, instead of the BeaverHeaver outa Corvallis.
As always....JMO.
My man Canuck!! Great to see you!!
And I agree with what I see as downside
Love the "Beaver Heaver"
Priceless

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I've said repeatedly that I believe that McVay knows what he sees and implicitly trust that.
What he has shown on the field hasn't been good, no matter how you slice it. Certainly not going to get anyone interested in trading for him that's for sure.
Never stated that I thought anybody would want to trade for Mannion.
His upside/ceiling is as a journeyman second-stringer off the bench, IMO.

I've also never felt that he is any type of physical specimen or even a player anyone would want to mimic in his mechanics.

I just don't have an opinion either way because of the small sample size and the fact that he does not run with the ones.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Brandon Allen will open up some eyes this preseason, reminds me a lot of Keenum with a stronger arm.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brandon Allen offers something different than Goff or Mannion. Allen has mobility I have always felt your backup should offer something different from the starter to throw off the defense. Liked Allen at Arkansas, but I believe we will see plenty of Mannion & Allen during preseason as Goff should just play a few plays here or there.

I will admit I always liked Allen. Liked him in college, and liked him coming out too. He has really nice pocket movement and when he actually sets his feet that ball can come off his hand really good. He's definitely a guy who has "backup" level talent I think, but more importantly fits the movement aspects of the WCO extremely well.

I also get the feeling the Rams aren't the biggest fan of Mannion from a fit perspective. So I do think the backup job will be open competition. From there, again, I trust McVay to keep the right dude.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Is it just me, or does the ball seem to come out of Allen's hand a little weird???