Back Up QB to goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mikedlo23

UDFA
Name
mike
hey i don't know if a lot has been talked about the back up QB spot but I don't feel comfortable with mannion as goff's main backup....is there any backup qb that would be an upgrade over mannion.....i just don't feel comfortable god forbid goff went down....not that i want to invest a lot of money into a backup qb but anyone serviceable would be good......some names that i see out there are matt moore...derek anderson....manziel???....sanchez...mallett....rg3....those are not necessarily who I'm looking at but those seem to be who's available.... maybe a cap casualty becomes available??? in a perfect would the backup qb never has to play but....i would also like to have someone who could possibly step in for a few games and not be one dimensional......thoughts?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
hey i don't know if a lot has been talked about the back up QB spot but I don't feel comfortable with mannion as goff's main backup....is there any backup qb that would be an upgrade over mannion.....i just don't feel comfortable god forbid goff went down....not that i want to invest a lot of money into a backup qb but anyone serviceable would be good......some names that i see out there are matt moore...derek anderson....manziel???....sanchez...mallett....rg3....those are not necessarily who I'm looking at but those seem to be who's available.... maybe a cap casualty becomes available??? in a perfect would the backup qb never has to play but....i would also like to have someone who could possibly step in for a few games and not be one dimensional......thoughts?

Manziel????
:puke:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I see nothing that indicates it wouldn't be Mannion. I fail to see how the QBs mentioned in the OP would be an upgrade.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I see nothing that indicates it wouldn't be Mannion. I fail to see how the QBs mentioned in the OP would be an upgrade.
Matt Moore would be an upgrade over Mannion. Mallett has little accuracy, don't think he's an upgrade. Unsure on others in OPs post.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Matt Moore would be an upgrade over Mannion. Mallett has little accuracy, don't think he's an upgrade. Unsure on others in OPs post.
Matt Moore came out of OSU too. Why does anyone think he’s better? Because he’s taken some NFL snaps? It’s funny really. Moore has been in the league for 10 years and has done what?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If you ask Eric Dickerson, Goff should be the backup to Mannion :rolllaugh:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mannion, unless Mannion is dealt, which is possible and if Allen shows well I believe they will keep 3 QB's.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, at least Mannion and Cooks have good chemistry since they played together at OSU and had plenty of stats of Mannion to Cooks. That’s a plus

fearsomefour

Legend
Matt Moore came out of OSU too. Why does anyone think he’s better? Because he’s taken some NFL snaps? It’s funny really. Moore has been in the league for 10 years and has done what?
That's exactly why.
We have had this discussion before.
Not having any body of work at the NFL level is not a bonus.
A guy like Moore who had played in 50 NFL games, can complete 60% of his passes and have an ok rating is of more value than someone who cannot get on the field.
What is Mannion to the Rams at this point?
He is not the future QB. He is not the past starter who has proven himself. He is just a guy holding a roster spot.
In our previous discussion I had suggested that backup QB may be a place to add a vet if the team is contending for a title. The team made no moves in that direction at all despite a busy off season. It appears they are comfortable with Mannion in the backup spot.
Excellent.
I make no judgement about his NFL ability because to do that would require an extended time (several starts at least) of working with the 1's in practice, having a game plan put in around his strengths and with his contribution and being give time to find a rhythem in game prep , planning and game day.
The jury is out on him and that's fine.
He has no body of work to judge at the NFL level.
Comparing Moore to Mannion, who has more potential? Mannion clearly as we don't know what he is as a QB in the NFL.
Who would almost all NFL coaches feel more comfortable with starting for a few games stretch for a contending team? Moore. He has a track record. It may an average track record, but, a track record still.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep Mannion for this year but the coaches need to see all they can from Allen and Perez. Mannion is a free agent next year and will likely get a raise from somebody else to be a backup or maybe even to compete for a starting job or hold a job until a rookie is ready. We have enough payroll concerns without offering Mannion a couple million more to hold a clip board. There are a lot of guys needing new contracts and while backup QB's are important Mannion is down towards the bottom of my list.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay and Snead are happy with Mannion, and it seems like they are, I'm good with that. Next year, however, might be a different story.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This is a fair question. Let the best backup win this one. If nobody steps up, then maybe we can address it later.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I have no confidence in Mannion. *shrugs. Glad McVay does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gonna trust McVay on this one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mannion, unless Mannion is dealt, which is possible and if Allen shows well I believe they will keep 3 QB's.
I’m ok with this if they could get a good pick or player in return. What I don’t know is what Allen really has to offer in a back up
That's exactly why.
We have had this discussion before.
Not having any body of work at the NFL level is not a bonus.
A guy like Moore who had played in 50 NFL games, can complete 60% of his passes and have an ok rating is of more value than someone who cannot get on the field.
What is Mannion to the Rams at this point?
He is not the future QB. He is not the past starter who has proven himself. He is just a guy holding a roster spot.
In our previous discussion I had suggested that backup QB may be a place to add a vet if the team is contending for a title. The team made no moves in that direction at all despite a busy off season. It appears they are comfortable with Mannion in the backup spot.
Excellent.
I make no judgement about his NFL ability because to do that would require an extended time (several starts at least) of working with the 1's in practice, having a game plan put in around his strengths and with his contribution and being give time to find a rhythem in game prep , planning and game day.
The jury is out on him and that's fine.
He has no body of work to judge at the NFL level.
Comparing Moore to Mannion, who has more potential? Mannion clearly as we don't know what he is as a QB in the NFL.
Who would almost all NFL coaches feel more comfortable with starting for a few games stretch for a contending team? Moore. He has a track record. It may an average track record, but, a track record still.
Dont see it. If they wanted Moore we could have had him. If he was of value enough to see the field, he would have seen it as a starter. You can’t pin it on Mannion that he hasn’t seen the field when he has always been #2. Moore got some starts but certainly not because he was starting material. He had ok stats but shit the bed as a starter if you actually watched him as I did with him being a former Beav. Hell, Kellen was twice the QB and so was/is Anderson if I’m going to rate Oregon boys at QB. And I would want none of them ahead of Mannion. It’s not that I want Mannion to start, it’s that I don’t see the desire to bring in someone else who knows shit about the system and whom the coaches don’t seem to want in order to “solve” our back up situation that may - and likely - doesn’t even exist.

Does anyone really think McVay hasn’t looked at the options and didn’t pull the trigger on a Mutt Moore because it would have cost them another mil? Is it remotely possible that Mannion actually IS the best option for us at #2? A coaches son who knows football AND btw set PAC 12 records? Yeah... it was all because he checked down and blah blah blah.

Sorry... if most all NFL coaches wanted Moore, they could have him. So obviously, they don’t want his particular track record.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Keep Mannion for this year but the coaches need to see all they can from Allen and Perez. Mannion is a free agent next year and will likely get a raise from somebody else to be a backup or maybe even to compete for a starting job or hold a job until a rookie is ready. We have enough payroll concerns without offering Mannion a couple million more to hold a clip board. There are a lot of guys needing new contracts and while backup QB's are important Mannion is down towards the bottom of my list.
And I’m fine with this. Finding a #2 because the FANS think we need to and a crappy QB with experience is better than a 3rd round draft pick they haven’t seen would be better? Not so much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I’m ok with this if they could get a good pick or player in return. What I don’t know is what Allen really has to offer in a back up

Brandon Allen offers something different than Goff or Mannion. Allen has mobility I have always felt your backup should offer something different from the starter to throw off the defense. Liked Allen at Arkansas, but I believe we will see plenty of Mannion & Allen during preseason as Goff should just play a few plays here or there.