Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Those of us that thought it was a mistake to switch Brown to right tackle were correct.
Kromer realized it early enough in Camp to correct the mistake.
They settled down and made a very VERY solid unit.

We are thin though.
They showed us what they would do if Whitworth went down by moving Saffold to left tackle and bringing in a guard, ( Darrell Williams or Blythe ?).

The best thing about this offensive line compared to the Boudreau lines, other than bringing in a real left tackle and Center, are these guys are much better coached.

At least our second-stringers will not be clueless and will have better technique, so we have that going for us in case we do have an injury.

I used to freak out about the fact that our offensive failures, our lame looking quarterbacks, running backs all look bad because of the offensive line.

That's not my biggest concern anymore. :D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those of us that thought it was a mistake to switch Brown to right tackle were correct.

We are thin though.
They showed us what they would do if Whitworth went down by moving Saffold to left tackle and bringing in a guard, ( Darrell Williams or Blythe ?).

The best thing about this offensive line compared to the Boudreau lines, other than bringing in a real left tackle and Center, are these guys are much better coached.

At least our second-stringers will not be clueless and will have better technique, so we have that going for us in case we do have an injury.

I used to freak out about the fact that our offensive failures, our lame looking quarterbacks, running backs all look bad because of the offensive line.

As far as Brown & Big Rob go , it had to do with cross training as well. If The Rams need both players can switch over in his offense, especially now that he is calling plays.
It just gives The Rams more depth without carrying extra offensive lineman.

The truth is The Rams will be able to have more WR on the 53 man roster beyond this.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

We are thin though.

I would rule out that OG Jamon Brown being resigned to a new more cap friendly contract & will replace Rodger Saffold @ LG when Rodger departs finally for that mega contract that he missed out on 4 yrs ago.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cross training?

I don't think Havenstein is a Guard at all.

I don't think he is a Left Tackle or Center either.

Everything about the guy says Right Tackle only in my opinion.

I could see Jamon Brown as a Right Tackle but not a very good one.

Saffold has never looked better since they repaired his shoulder defects.
I guess he could test the market but let's hope the Rams are smart enough to extend him a couple years which may be his window before he might decline.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would rule out that OG Jamon Brown being resigned to a new more cap friendly contract & will replace Rodger Saffold @ LG when Rodger departs finally for that mega contract that he missed out on 4 yrs ago.

Jamon Brown is interesting. I’m not solid on either Brown or Havenstein. Right now the Offensive Lines future is a cloud .

The good thing about Saffold,Brown,& Havenstein is all 3 are playing for a new contract .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cross training?

I guess he could test the market but let's hope the Rams are smart enough to extend him a couple years which may be his window before he might decline.

Big Rob Havenstein has shown he can play right guard. That would be the position he could replace.

The thing about the Offensive Line is it has no depth at all !! It is The Big 5 , plus Austin Blythe !!!
I hear The Rams could be bringing in 6 new LBers from this off season ? This Offensive Line needs help seriously soon.
Miles says he is not overly concern ?

The Rams have waited awhile to finally to establish a core offense line. Now after 2018 it is really cloudy how it will look come 2019 .)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
"Big Rob has shown he can play rt G". Oh yeah? When? Havenstien has zero snaps at RG in regular season games.

Depth on the OL will come from UDFA and when teams trim down to 53.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jamon Brown is interesting. I’m not solid on either Brown or Havenstein. Right now the Offensive Lines future is a cloud .The good thing about Saffold,Brown,& Havenstein is all 3 are playing for a new contract .
I sure have to give So Ram credit here, he has been out front for some time on the future Rams line issues. Most average fans pay little or no attention or interest in the five men up front enabling the fancy high paid flashy toys to make headlines on Sunday.

The Rams OL in 2017 did something highly unusual & very rare "remain healthy". The chances of that happening again is extremely unlikely too. The OL was the main reason this Ram offense was so good. If the Rams want to contend for a championship this season there needs some serious attention by investing big in it on April 27th & 28th by the Rams Org.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cross training?

Rob Havenstein proved to be a good NFL RT in the first 3 season. I do not see any other position in his future either. Do NOT fool ourselves Big Rob will attract a serious amount of interest through-out the NFL in 11 months from now. Rob will have a very nice paid day & raise coming in March of 2019.

Jamon Brown is not that far behind Big Rob as many think. Jamon Brown has his brain farts on some pass blocking decisions, but he also had a great amount of excellent run blocks executed in 2017.Jamon is a versatile OL'er & has played four of the five OL posts. Brown will also have a ton of interest as a UFA in 2019.

Rodger Saffold was our best overall performing OL IMO. He is now entering his prime seasons & is sure to finally get a contract very close to what the Panthers Norwell got this season. I really doubt the Rams can match it, nor will Saffold be dumb enough to consider a short 2 yr extension either. Saffold will be 30 in a few months so he must get that bill payday now time is running out.

All the above should give the Rams something to ponder here going into this draft. I know everybody is banging the drums for Edge Rushers & interior LB'ers but this OL needs to get every bit as much attention. I sure do not want us to return to the many past seasons where the OL was nothing but weak flemzy turnstiles for opponents Dl'ers to penetrate.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I sure have to give So Ram credit here, he has been out front for some time on the future Rams line issues. Most average fans pay little or no attention or interest in the five men up front enabling the fancy high paid flashy toys to make headlines on Sunday.

The Rams OL in 2017 did something highly unusual & very rare "remain healthy". The chances of that happening again is extremely unlikely too. The OL was the main reason this Ram offense was so good. If the Rams want to contend for a championship this season there needs some serious attention by investing big in it on April 27th & 28th by the Rams Org.

BonifayRam I’m really interested in the 2 centers Kromer has kept from last season on the practice squad in Eldrenkamp & Neary .

How does the guard role play out ? Neary is listed as G/C ,

Funny how The Rams have the 3 Amigos from
Eastern Washington in Neary , Samson , & Kupp !!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree 10000%! AFTER we pick up a Edge-Rushing DE/OLB!!(n);):D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rob Havenstein proved to be a good NFL RT in the first 3 season. I do not see any other position in his future either. Do NOT fool ourselves Big Rob will attract a serious amount of interest through-out the NFL in 11 months from now. Rob will have a very nice paid day & raise coming in March of 2019.

Jamon Brown is not that far behind Big Rob as many think. Jamon Brown has his brain farts on some pass blocking decisions, but he also had a great amount of excellent run blocks executed in 2017.Jamon is a versatile OL'er & has played four of the five OL posts. Brown will also have a ton of interest as a UFA in 2019.

Rodger Saffold was our best overall performing OL IMO. He is now entering his prime seasons & is sure to finally get a contract very close to what the Panthers Norwell got this season. I really doubt the Rams can match it, nor will Saffold be dumb enough to consider a short 2 yr extension either. Saffold will be 30 in a few months so he must get that bill payday now time is running out.

All the above should give the Rams something to ponder here going into this draft. I know everybody is banging the drums for Edge Rushers & interior LB'ers but this OL needs to get every bit as much attention. I sure do not want us to return to the many past seasons where the OL was nothing but weak flemzy turnstiles for opponents Dl'ers to penetrate.

I think The Rams are playing a little dumb as far as there need in the Offensive Line !!

Last year I would have bet almost everything they were drafting a TE with there first pick in 2017 !!!
Snead knew the value of Everett & McVay had him singled out ! Snead went back to his memory Bank & said Guess What ? We moved back with Big Rob & still got him plus Sean Mannion for doing it .

When Snead saw how the draft board was playing out he got both McVays guy(Everett) & Wades guy in ( John Johnson) from believing in his draft research.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree 10000%! AFTER we pick up a Edge-Rushing DE/OLB!!(n);):D

Well it depends on the draft board Dave51 .

How are things in Simi ?? Have you looked into the Cajun Fest this year ? I might be driving out tomorrow. Then again maybe never again. In a weird relationship.
Do you ever get to Cronies ? I was there a few seasons ago when The Rams (Barron) hurt Big Ben & Vick replaced him. There were a bar full of Steelers Fans. Foles threw a nice loft ball to Kendrick’s for a easy TD to win the game , only to go off his hands.
I swear I stood up in front of the big screen as the pass was in mid-air ready to cheer.
It was one of those, want to get away moments.

I’m not sure if The Rams fans have taken over the town , but merchandise is all over. Gurley has been known to support places in the 118 area.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well it depends on the draft board Dave51 .

How are things in Simi ?? Have you looked into the Cajun Fest this year ? I might be driving out tomorrow. Then again maybe never again. In a weird relationship.
Do you ever get to Cronies ? I was there a few seasons ago when The Rams (Barron) hurt Big Ben & Vick replaced him. There were a bar full of Steelers Fans. Foles threw a nice loft ball to Kendrick’s for a easy TD to win the game , only to go off his hands.
I swear I stood up in front of the big screen as the pass was in mid-air ready to cheer.
It was one of those, want to get away moments.

I’m not sure if The Rams fans have taken over the town , but merchandise is all over. Gurley has been known to support places in the 118 area.
I go to the Cajun Festival most years. But haven't been in a couple. I plan on taking my 4 year Old Grand Daughter to her 1st this year!!(y);) She Love singing and Dancing!!
I've never been to Cronies.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, yeah, OL appears to be a need. Especially Whit’s future replacement.

But I think LOT will be the top priority in next year’s talent laden LOT draft. So I predict that they will “make do” for this year and pray for Whit’s good health. Kinda scary because they now have a lot of eggs in the “SB now” basket, huh? But if a top LOT ain’t there at their pick, he ain’t there.

The other depth OL positions are more promising, however. I’m optimistic that they can get a depth OL player or two with one of their 8 picks. Under Kromer, we may find our OL (other than LOT) might just have some nice options by ‘19 similar to WR and CB have already now become in one offseason of attention.

Frankly, I hope that Saffold, Hav, and Brown can all be extended. I really like all 3 and, as they say, “if it ain’t broke...”. But, I’m not at all sure that the cap can accommodate all that, given so many other demands.

Troubling, since the entire O success depends on strong OL play. Sigh...

Kromer’s gonna earn his money this year. Yet again, that is.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Of course it was a Excellent pick !! Big Rob is a total student of the game. He has helped Jamon Brown out a lot . Just learning from Whit & Sullivan has helped big time .

He will be a 10 year guy !! Les Snead traded back & got Sean Mannion & Bud Sasser for FREE !! They still got there man who was a little bit of a reach some thought .

Jamon Brown was rated higher than Big Rob !! I was seriously happy when they drafted Brown.

Les Snead worked The Draft last year & got McVays guy Gerald Everett & still got Wade John Johnson for FREE !! Wade knew him from his teammate at BC who Wade coached in Denver.

You said "Big Rob" and I thought you meant Greg Robinson and my brain wondered why the entire post wasn't in blue...

Clearly, you meant Havenstein. But for a second, I was so lost...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
1. Dunn no is going to be lucky to make the team. DW could still be signed ? It depends on how the draft goes.

2. Saffold after all his shoulder injury’s he will be kept at LG . I could see if there was a bunch of injuries, but he can’t even play a solid RT.
3. Andrew Donnell was on the roster for a few weeks in 2017. I don’t think he ever had the work eric or the skill. I did drink a little of the Kool-aide , but that was there was not enough info.(didn’t notice , but he is 3rd string OT with Ravens ) +++ 1

4. I give you credit for Lucas !! The site is The Rams official site. They keep it updated. There is a reason he is still listed ? Why , I’m not sure. DW was listed there as well , but took him down ? Barwin was on there for awhile , but he is gone now ! I guess will see , until he is off the list I continue to think he is a Ram.

Saffold's injury issue had to do with a congenital defect in the shoulder. After the first injury, they knew the other would go...and it did. That said, the doctor was also clear that both shoulders would be stronger than they were originally and last season we saw it.

My worry is that after another stellar year that we won't be able to afford him.

That said, if anyone should give a "hometown discount", it's Saffold. The Rams have stuck with him through a bunch of injuries and now it's paying off.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I do see a couple OT’s late , such as the guy from N.C. B. Spain & Crosby ?

With the dearth of OTs, I can't see Crosby making it to the late 3rd. I could be wrong, but OT, QB and DL will be over drafted and S, RB, and WR will be under-drafted (for very different reasons).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saffold's injury issue had to do with a congenital defect in the shoulder. After the first injury, they knew the other would go...and it did. That said, the doctor was also clear that both shoulders would be stronger than they were originally and last season we saw it.

My worry is that after another stellar year that we won't be able to afford him.

That said, if anyone should give a "hometown discount", it's Saffold. The Rams have stuck with him through a bunch of injuries and now it's paying off.

I personally think Saffold wants to stay a Ram . Then again he left for the money. Saffold said he would out play his contract & with another solid year like last he will have.

I just think it will be really interesting what The OLine group will look like in 3 weeks ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the dearth of OTs, I can't see Crosby making it to the late 3rd. I could be wrong, but OT, QB and DL will be over drafted and S, RB, and WR will be under-drafted (for very different reasons).

Well that is the exciting part of the draft. From the mocks I’ve notched there will be a couple just as good as Crosby if he is not there.

If Kromer really likes one of these guys the Eams will trade up to get there.

Last year he passed on the whole group.