Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to know exactly what the Rams have as offensive lineman backups when they don't play much like last year. Blythe seemed good at OC.

Some encouraging reports on the mountain man. Kromer is the guy that can get the most out these prospects. Rams always need to try and upgrade. Blythe and Lucas seem like keepers. Draft a couple more.

My main concern is LT . When Whitworth went down at of a game late at the end of the season. That was a huge scare .

Malibu

Pro Bowler
This has been one big area for me. I know we can't address everything. I also have stated our biggest needs is in this order after 2 CBs and SUH: WR (didn't think it was possible to OBJ possibly came available) next is Rush OLB, then BU LT who can move inside to Guard then ILB. Then later rounds RB more OLine/OlB depth.

We will never get to fill every hole perfectly, but OBJ comes somehow and the receiving Corp is set for a long time to come. We just to focus on the OLine on Offense.

I will say it is critical to hit in the draft on some later round Olinemen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@So Ram I don’t get why Whit and Sully will be the only ones back in 2019. You know something we don’t? Just because they are the only ones signed through then doesn’t mean we won’t resign them. So that means we potentially could have only the one hole at LT after 2019. Granted those are big shoes to fill but nothing that suggests we have to fill them through the draft no matter what. There is still FA at that point too and who knows what next season’s draft brings.

I’d hate to see us leap at someone only to have them become GRob or JSmith 2. Hell - Whit was a late 2nd rounder.

If we truly are going all in on this season, we better fill the positions that will do it NOW.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@So Ram I don’t get why Whit and Sully will be the only ones back in 2019. You know something we don’t? Just because they are the only ones signed through then doesn’t mean we won’t resign them. So that means we potentially could have only the one hole at LT after 2019.

No, but better safe than sorry. Sully only signed a two year contract, so that would be 2 potential holes following the 2019 season. Neither Havenstein or Brown were Kromer/McVay picks, and they did try to switch their positions at one time for some reason early in camp, so i'm not gonna get too attached to them unless McVay actually does re-sign them. Then there is the Saffold CAP situation also coming at the end of the season, can the Rams pay the man his worth with so many other players in line for a big pay day, or will we develop his true replacement starting as early as this next camp ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This has been one big area for me. I know we can't address everything. I also have stated our biggest needs is in this order after 2 CBs and SUH: WR (didn't think it was possible to OBJ possibly came available) next is Rush OLB, then BU LT who can move inside to Guard then ILB. Then later rounds RB more OLine/OlB depth.

We will never get to fill every hole perfectly, but OBJ comes somehow and the receiving Corp is set for a long time to come. We just to focus on the OLine on Offense.

I will say it is critical to hit in the draft on some later round Olinemen.

Safety is a spot of need . I think you look around at the draft & the players of need.

1. WR vs last season ?
C. Kupp was a rookie, Mike Thomas was suspended. Tavon Austin missed everything. Reynolds was a rookie who was hurt.

This year everyone is coming back ready to go.Watkins & OJB are the best. Always try to get better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Safety is a spot of need . I think you look around at the draft & the players of need.

1. WR vs last season ?
C. Kupp was a rookie, Mike Thomas was suspended. Tavon Austin missed everything. Reynolds was a rookie who was hurt.

This year everyone is coming back ready to go.Watkins & OJB are the best. Always try to get better.

Yes WR is a need. McVay said, "It remains to be seen", regarding Reynolds filling Sammy's role. That is not a glowing show of confidence. Personally, I have my doubts about both, he and Thomas. Going from Watkins to either of them, is a huge step down.

OL is not the number 1 need. I don't draft first rounders to sit on the bench. OLB, WR, or even Safety could be the first the positions picked. Joyner is great and all but, they may be looking to find his replacement. Safeties are not getting paid. There are some good ones sitting at home right now. If they can find a young guy that can produce well enough, they may have to let Joyner walk next year, to save cap space. They had met with two Safeties that I know of during the off season. So they seem interested.

Kromer has been able to identify later round Offensive Lineman that he is able to develop into good players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a few taken later. I would be surprised at an Olineman in round one though. But, anything can happen I guess

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
@So Ram I don’t get why Whit and Sully will be the only ones back in 2019. You know something we don’t? Just because they are the only ones signed through then doesn’t mean we won’t resign them. So that means we potentially could have only the one hole at LT after 2019. Granted those are big shoes to fill but nothing that suggests we have to fill them through the draft no matter what. There is still FA at that point too and who knows what next season’s draft brings.

I’d hate to see us leap at someone only to have them become GRob or JSmith 2. Hell - Whit was a late 2nd rounder.

If we truly are going all in on this season, we better fill the positions that will do it NOW.

If your counting on Saffold to be the backup LT ,The Rams are in trouble.

What position do you think there is a need for ? Value of salary through The draft is huge.

Drafting Greg Robinson was a joke !! Why The Rams didn’t trade back was bad judgement, but Aaron Donald is a stud.

That said best player available, or trade back.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Couple things I disagree with you So Ram. Saffold has played very well at LT and is better than most team's starting LT's. there. He just has a penchant for getting hurt when he plays there.

And no one could predict GRob was going to be a bust. Boudreau wanted to sit GRob for a year and work him in, but then injuries forced him into the lineup and they juggled him all around the OL further phucking his head up.

Just sayin, GRob had all the tools, size and quickness to be a successful LT. No one knew then how phucked up in the head and what a slow learner he was, and that he couldn't break old habits.

Every draft pick has its risks.

fearsomefour

Legend
Speaking off wise asses ? Greg Robinson never seemed to have got the jest of the NFL ? This guy Lucas is 4 inches taller than Greg Rob !

Can Lucas play LT ? Is that what Dunn was brought back to do instead of Darrell Williams?

Yeah Austin Blythe is the next offensive lineman up . He played well in all aspects when called upon.
GRob had all of the physical traits except for one very important one....balance.
He was always playing out of balance. Lunging, nose over toes....I don't think I ever saw a physically talented guy fall down so much. All the measurables don't mean squat if you don't have balance and understand leverage as a lineman.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No one knows yet about Lucas. He's got the size, wingspan and quickness to play LT. It remains to be seen if Kromer can coach him up.

I will be keeping a close eye at TC. Going to be fun watching the OL vs the DL at TC.

fearsomefour

Legend
Lucas has playing experience in Detroit.
He was not totally green coming to the Rams as most of the others guys were.
The hold overs I will be keeping an eye on are Blythe and Neary. Blythe was solid in relief last year. Neary was not bad in his one start at C last year. Blythe has proven his value already by being able to play either C and G and not be a disaster.
Lucas can be ok at RT.
The rest? Who knows? Haven't show much.
The problem heading into this draft is the Rams have depth needs at LT, G, DL, LB, S.....a lot of depth that needs to be filled with limited picks.
If there is a guy the Rams see as a starter kind of guy at 23 I would grab him, regardless of position (except QB, RB). I would like to see a trade down to pick up another pick of value.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes WR is a need. McVay said, "It remains to be seen", regarding Reynolds filling Sammy's role. That is not a glowing show of confidence. Personally, I have my doubts about both, he and Thomas. Going from Watkins to either of them, is a huge step down.

OL is not the number 1 need. I don't draft first rounders to sit on the bench. OLB, WR, or even Safety could be the first the positions picked. Joyner is great and all but, they may be looking to find his replacement. Safeties are not getting paid. There are some good ones sitting at home right now. If they can find a young guy that can produce well enough, they may have to let Joyner walk next year, to save cap space. They had met with two Safeties that I know of during the off season. So they seem interested.

Kromer has been able to identify later round Offensive Lineman that he is able to develop into good players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a few taken later. I would be surprised at an Olineman in round one though. But, anything can happen I guess

Well last year Kromer passed on 2 offensive lineman, & The Rams traded back for John Johnson & Gerald Everett..

Lucid might already be ahead of the curb at Tackle ? Still Dunn is questionable at best.

Joyner is gone & no value in drafting a FS early for most part:.

Reynolds is way better than Most Ram fans think. Dude always shows up when the Lights are on. Mike Thomas not so much.

Tavon is still a Ram as well.P Copper has value as a WR as well.

—-Just really scary , not having depth at OL.
The truth is it is a numbers game. Last season The Dams trusted The Big 5 by going light on the 53.
Couple things I disagree with you So Ram. Saffold has played very well at LT and is better than most team's starting LT's. there. He just has a penchant for getting hurt when he plays there.

And no one could predict GRob was going to be a bust. Boudreau wanted to sit GRob for a year and work him in, but then injuries forced him into the lineup and they juggled him all around the OL further phucking his head up.

Just sayin, GRob had all the tools, size and quickness to be a successful LT. No one knew then how phucked up in the head and what a slow learner he was, and that he couldn't break old habits.

In Regards to Greg Robinson. That draft class was the best wide receiver in an offense of tackle draft in last 10 years.

BTW - Roger Saffold playing either tackle are in the past !!
Question about Kromer - Will he have Brown & Havenstuen cross train.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No one knows yet about Lucas. He's got the size, wingspan and quickness to play LT. It remains to be seen if Kromer can coach him up. I will be keeping a close eye at TC. Going to be fun watching the OL vs the DL at TC.
As of the moment the Rams/ Kromer let the Rams swing OT Darrell Williams since 2015 UN-tendured = did not offer him a contract so DW is now a UFA on the open market. At this time he remains unsigned. In reference to OT Cornelius Lucas your statement is true but his current status is he is no longer under contract with the Rams & is officially a UFA & able to sign with any NFL team he desires.

Your assessment on GRob was on target & outstanding! I could not agree with you more.

Your comments on Rodger Saffold was excellent too. It will always be extremely difficult for a college LT to enter the NFL & start..... let alone play very well enough to be awarded & named All-Rookie by Pro Football Weekly and the Pro Football Writers of America…finished the season as the only NFL rookie to start all of his team’s games at left tackle in 2010 ...allowing only three sacks in 590 pass attempts according to Statspass.com.

Saffold entered the NFL with his weight was around 310 lbs & was lean & nimble, but after his rookie season he got big, then bigger & thus AKA Bettlejuice was heard on this forum. Saffold put on some serious muscle & pounds around 2013 season & was moved to RT & then RG by Fisher/Boudreau being over 335 pounds at times....as he grew his ability to dance diminished. From what little I saw & read last season Saffold is no longer Bettlejuice looking & his listed poundage is back down to 320-325 range.

The 29 yr old Saffold will earn a near 8 million this season. After seeing what an aging 36 yr old LT like Andrew Whitworth will be paid this season a near 13 million.....plus what UFA Nate Solder who is the same age as Saffold was paid ( signed a four year, $62 million contract with the Giants on March 14, 2018. Solder received $34.8 million in full guarantees) I bet you Saffold is thinking that with his 8 yrs of experience now he could retune himself & then sell the NFL as a able starting LT again & win a sizeable pay elsewhere in 2019 & beyond.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 29 yr old Saffold will earn a near 8 million this season. After seeing what an aging 36 yr old LT like Andrew Whitworth will be paid this season a near 13 million.....plus what UFA Nate Solder who is the same age as Saffold was paid ( signed a four year, $62 million contract with the Giants on March 14, 2018. Solder received $34.8 million in full guarantees) I bet you Saffold is thinking that with his 8 yrs of experience now he could retune himself & then sell the NFL as a able starting LT again & win a sizeable pay elsewhere in 2019 & beyond.

Given what happened last time he was a free agent, I would hope he was self aware enough to realize that he probably can't sell himself as a LT at this stage, though I'm sure he'd like a nice pay bump for being a good guard who can cover LT in an emergency.

The Rams need at the very least to draft a swing T/G who they think can be trained up to be an OT starter. They need that this season, to provide insurance both for 2018 and for free agency next offseason. That is the minimum. Maybe draft a pure guard in the later rounds too.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My main concern is LT.
Left tackle should always be your main concern.
Without a left tackle you really don't have much of an offense of line.

Center should always be your second concern.

Third should be right tackle and fourth and fifth your guards.

Simply adding a left tackle and a center, (along with health by our right tackle) absolutely transformed our o-line.

I'm counting on Kromer transforming Cornelius Lucas into our game-day active backup left tackle.

Lucas has all the earmarks of a coachable journeyman o lineman.

Of course if our future starter is there at 23?
We take him.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Given what happened last time he was a free agent, I would hope he was self aware enough to realize that he probably can't sell himself as a LT at this stage, though I'm sure he'd like a nice pay bump for being a good guard who can cover LT in an emergency.

The Rams need at the very least to draft a swing T/G who they think can be trained up to be an OT starter. They need that this season, to provide insurance both for 2018 and for free agency next offseason. That is the minimum. Maybe draft a pure guard in the later rounds too.

Good Sunday Afternoon to you Akrasian

Saffold stands to get one very nice pay increase after this 2018 season concludes bonus $$$ if the Rams happen to make it to the big game & win. If a OG like Andrew Norwell can get a 5 year contract worth $66.5 million with $30,000,000 guaranteed. Plus a $15 mil. signing bonus with 2018 & 2019 base salaries fully guaranteed, then Saffold is sure to get @ least what Justin Pugh got from the Cards ..a five year, $45 million contract. Pugh received a $10 million signing bonus. Pugh has no LT starts either. Saffold is currently playing under a bargain priced five year contract worth $31,8 million.

Sure appears that a Swing OT is NOW a very big need with Williams & Lucas departed. Get this raw OL'er in here & stew him under Kromer. The only OT on the 2018 roster currently is Michael Dunn who had spent time on our Practice Squad last season & was a UDFA. So I agree with you that a OT is sure to come the Rams way in the draft at some time or another.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well last year Kromer passed on 2 offensive lineman, & The Rams traded back for John Johnson & Gerald Everett..

Lucid might already be ahead of the curb at Tackle ? Still Dunn is questionable at best.

Joyner is gone & no value in drafting a FS early for most part:.

Reynolds is way better than Most Ram fans think. Dude always shows up when the Lights are on. Mike Thomas not so much.

Tavon is still a Ram as well.P Copper has value as a WR as well.

—-Just really scary , not having depth at OL.
The truth is it is a numbers game. Last season The Dams trusted The Big 5 by going light on the 53.

In Regards to Greg Robinson. That draft class was the best wide receiver in an offense of tackle draft in last 10 years.

BTW - Roger Saffold playing either tackle are in the past !!
Question about Kromer - Will he have Brown & Havenstuen cross train.

Tavon sucks as a receiver. Reynolds hasn’t done much and Thomas has done even less.

I expect some Oline in this draft, but it seems clear that the Rams are in win now mode. An immediate need is a replacement for Watkins, OLB, and maybe ILB , depending on what they think of guys on the roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Left tackle should always be your main concern.
Without a left tackle you really don't have much of an offense of line.

Center should always be your second concern.

Third should be right tackle and fourth and fifth your guards.

Simply adding a left tackle and a center, (along with health by our right tackle) absolutely transformed our o-line.

I'm counting on Kromer transforming Cornelius Lucas into our game-day active backup left tackle.

Lucas has all the earmarks of a coachable journeyman o lineman.

Of course if our future starter is there at 23?
We take him.

I see a couple of Tackles that could be had in this draft. I’m for letting the draft come to The Rams.

—I think Les Snead really put himself into a bad spot by having to rebuild the offensive line
3 years back. I believe Big Rob Havenstein was a little bit of a reach ? He has been solid , & did trade back to get him.

The thug that Snead & Fisher have done is pick players by position of need. Last season with McVay they trusted there scouting a little more.

Will be interesting to see if there is a trend.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tavon sucks as a receiver. Reynolds hasn’t done much and Thomas has done even less.

I expect some Oline in this draft, but it seems clear that the Rams are in win now mode. An immediate need is a replacement for Watkins, OLB, and maybe ILB , depending on what they think of guys on the roster.

No look at the NEw Orleans game,Senior Bowl, & last preseason game. As well as any other game he has played. His size & catch radius fantastic.

Tavon should get a full of season.

All 3 of these guys didn’t get full offseasons with McVay this year all 3 should be very much improved.

I’m not saying a WR should not be the pick either.Will see how McVay structures his 53 this season.Last year it was WR heavy. This season could be TE heavy ?
Even OL?

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion

Great post.

My question? Do you think G Rob would have been okay if he stayed learning a year and only worried about the LT position? Something tells me he would of been average to pretty good if this happened. It seemed like he got overwhelmed mentally and technique=wise because he couldn't simply just overpower people with his size and strength like he did all the way up till college.

Probably caught him by surprise.