Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So Rampost: 1054735 said:
I call BS on Roger Saffold playing OT at all !!
—Right now he is a All/Pro type OG. He will get paid if he keeps healthy.

Even when Whitworth got hurt your not going to lessen the team at 2 positions with one player hurt.

I have to laugh at people saying that the offense of line needs time to become a unit & then throw that all away. Sullivan & Saffold are comfortable playing next to each other. The left side has veteran cohesiveness .

We both have a difference of opinion. You were really high on Andrew Donnell even more so than Jamon Brown as a Tackle.

I’m not sure if Kromer is going to settle in with both those guys again.He did give them that experience. Saffold did not. He is flat out a LG IMO !! You could be right , but until otherwise have a serious different opinion.Saffold playing OT next season as a FA ??? Plus getting paid big $$$ would be a Lise Lise for the team & himself.
He is still Yolked Up. DW played better LT than Saffold.

—Lucas is listed on The Rams roster , but DW is not was thinking Lucy’s might have signed ?
So The Rams only have 1 Tackle on there roster in Dunn & and Tackle is not The number 1 position of Need ?

—You always make solid post reply’s & respect your out look.I just post my thoughts.

Can you name a more position of need? I am interested in that opinion. Do you believe that this one OT Michael Dunn is a valid LT prospect?

I will agree with you that Rodger Saffold performs near Pro Bowl level @ OLG. However we will never be in agreement on Saffold's abilities on playing LT in his future in the NFL. Many teams would have started him @ LT last season if he was on their team.

Yes I was high on Andrew Donnal as a RT/RG OL'er after his solid 2016 season, but a Hip injury & following rehabbing event that did not turn out well for him. Donnal was not healthy for #1- OTA's nor #2- Training Camp nor#3- Pre season. That is a problem is it not?

Add in the fact that Kromer & McVay made major changes in the Rams OL blocking schemes that did not fit the skills & talents that Donnal possessed, thus doomed Andrew Donnal usefulness to the Rams. Did you also notice that the next day Donnal was signed to another NFL team?

Now on to your alleged Cornelius Lucas being on the Ram roster & under contract ....can you offer any facts that I am incorrect on your claims that Cornelius Lucas is signed under a Ram 2018 contract? If he not under a 2018 contract he is not on a valid Ram 2018 roster nor is he included in the Rams cap salary roster where it counts. Lucas may be listed on some non updated Ram Rosters so you might want to look for an more accurate NFL roster.

I will help you out here & attach the 2018 LA Ram list of current contracted salaries:
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-rams
http://www.nfl.com/teams/losangelesrams/roster?team=LA

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I certainly hope Cornelius Lucas is signed by the Rams.

The reason I think he is is because of his Wikipedia page.

Agents usually update those because they want other teams to know if their player is available or not, so of course they, (the agent) can get paid.

Remember the Rams picked him up after he was signed by Detroit.

So unless he went all the way through waivers he is still playing on the Detroit Lions contract or they might be hanging on to him and they are going to force him to renegotiate at backup vet prices. JMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I ca almost guarantee you that was Fishers dumb-ass move.

He thought Boudreau was a miracle worker instead of a burnout.

Actually when fish arrived we had a slightly above offensive line that just needed Cordy Glenn inserted.

Instead they went Brian Quick? Ouch.

Yep - & Steelers got a steal . You need the line before you can get your running game going.

Look at Fishers last season. He thought Greg Robinson was going to be the savior.

First time he had taken a OLineman early in the draft since his first years with the Oilers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A late second-rounder for a 10-year stud right tackle?

I think he was a great pick.

He's starting to make a name for himself in this league since he's been healthy and that's why he's been rumored as part of the OBJ trade to the Giants.

But he's a right tackle only in my opinion and falls a little short physically of being a left tackle.
Particularly in his slowish footwork.

Of course it was a Excellent pick !! Big Rob is a total student of the game. He has helped Jamon Brown out a lot . Just learning from Whit & Sullivan has helped big time .

He will be a 10 year guy !! Les Snead traded back & got Sean Mannion & Bud Sasser for FREE !! They still got there man who was a little bit of a reach some thought .

Jamon Brown was rated higher than Big Rob !! I was seriously happy when they drafted Brown.

Les Snead worked The Draft last year & got McVays guy Gerald Everett & still got Wade John Johnson for FREE !! Wade knew him from his teammate at BC who Wade coached in Denver.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Jamon Brown was rated so low because they rated him as a tackle, which is what he played in college.

The Rams considered him a guard and when they stopped moving him around from left to right he finally settled down.
Two if the good picks made by Fishers Rams.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Offensive lineman are a prime example of how Fisher was able to find talent in the draft, but he didn't know how to use it. He'll even Robinson might have made a good LOG if given the opportunity. Fisher just couldn't match the talent to the right position.

Remember most of your starting and backup Olinemen were late round draft picks. So I feel pretty confident in Snead, McVsy, and Kroner to find a gem or two.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can you name a more position of need? I am interested in that opinion. Do you believe that this one OT Michael Dunn is a valid LT prospect?

I will agree with you that Rodger Saffold performs near Pro Bowl level @ OLG. However we will never be in agreement on Saffold's abilities on playing LT in his future in the NFL. Many teams would have started him @ LT last season if he was on their team.

Yes I was high on Andrew Donnal as a RT/RG OL'er after his solid 2016 season, but a Hip injury & following rehabbing event that did not turn out well for him. Donnal was not healthy for #1- OTA's nor #2- Training Camp nor#3- Pre season. That is a problem is it not?

Add in the fact that Kromer & McVay made major changes in the Rams OL blocking schemes that did not fit the skills & talents that Donnal possessed, thus doomed Andrew Donnal usefulness to the Rams. Did you also notice that the next day Donnal was signed to another NFL team?

Now on to your alleged Cornelius Lucas being on the Ram roster & under contract ....can you offer any facts that I am incorrect on your claims that Cornelius Lucas is signed under a Ram 2018 contract? If he not under a 2018 contract he is not on a valid Ram 2018 roster nor is he included in the Rams cap salary roster where it counts. Lucas may be listed on some non updated Ram Rosters so you might want to look for an more accurate NFL roster.

I will help you out here & attach the 2018 LA Ram list of current contracted salaries:

1. Dunn no is going to be lucky to make the team. DW could still be signed ? It depends on how the draft goes.

2. Saffold after all his shoulder injury’s he will be kept at LG . I could see if there was a bunch of injuries, but he can’t even play a solid RT.
3. Andrew Donnell was on the roster for a few weeks in 2017. I don’t think he ever had the work eric or the skill. I did drink a little of the Kool-aide , but that was there was not enough info.(didn’t notice , but he is 3rd string OT with Ravens ) +++ 1

4. I give you credit for Lucas !! The site is The Rams official site. They keep it updated. There is a reason he is still listed ? Why , I’m not sure. DW was listed there as well , but took him down ? Barwin was on there for awhile , but he is gone now ! I guess will see , until he is off the list I continue to think he is a Ram.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Offensive lineman are a prime example of how Fisher was able to find talent in the draft, but he didn't know how to use it. He'll even Robinson might have made a good LOG if given the opportunity. Fisher just couldn't match the talent to the right position.

Remember most of your starting and backup Olinemen were late round draft picks. So I feel pretty confident in Snead, McVsy, and Kroner to find a gem or two.

Will see how they go about it. Les has drafted by position.That year is was O’lineman. The year before CB’s last 2 years WR’s & TE’s.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bucky Brooks has The Tams drafting Colton Miller over Laundry from BC at 23

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bucky Brooks has The Tams drafting Colton Miller over Laundry from BC at 23

Davis has The Rams passing on both Top OT’s & Laundry to take Evens from Bama at MLB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well will see how The Rams fill there roster with offensive line depth. It will be interesting.

Without a 1st or 2nd rd pick it’s crazy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I see Brandin Cooks is already up on The Rams roster !!

My question to you is why is Cornelius Lucas still on there updated roster & DW is off of it ?

I think he will be a Ram Tackle this season for sure . There is no other backup Tackke on the roster at all.

The Rams don’t even have a true OG on the roster besides Saffold & Brown !!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see Brandin Cooks is already up on The Rams roster !!

My question to you is why is Cornelius Lucas still on there updated roster & DW is off of it ?

I think he will be a Ram Tackle this season for sure . There is no other backup Tackke on the roster at all.

The Rams don’t even have a true OG on the roster besides Saffold & Brown !!
I can not your question on the above. I just know that Lucas is a UFA & has not signed any 2018 contract as of yet. I sure have no issues with the Rams resigning him @ a vet minimum but I suspect Lucas is looking for a much bigger contract currently. Rams do need a reserve RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can not your question on the above. I just know that Lucas is a UFA & has not signed any 2018 contract as of yet. I sure have no issues with the Rams resigning him @ a vet minimum but I suspect Lucas is looking for a much bigger contract currently. Rams do need a reserve RT.

I do see a couple OT’s late , such as the guy from N.C. B. Spain & Crosby ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I do see a couple OT’s late , such as the guy from N.C. .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jamon Brown was rated so low because they rated him as a tackle, which is what he played in college.

The Rams considered him a guard and when they stopped moving him around from left to right he finally settled down.
Two if the good picks made by Fishers Rams.

As far as Jamon Brown goes , I thought he would be better at LG. Saffold settled in IMO is a staple LG !! He is not a LT , unless of dire need !! I think The Rams will have a back up LT !! Jamon Brown played RT in preseason.
I’m not sure what Kromer thought process is there .

If anyone wants to question me that’s cool. I’m going off Kromers (McVays ) track record .

Once again The Big 5 was my only thread I had last season !! It was because of ALL the Doubt in them !!!

1. McVay & Kromer trust this Group huge !!

2. The Big 5 was a unit lead by Whitmore & Sullivan!! Saffold made the Left Side concrete !!

3. Brown & Big Rob where roommates day 1 , & have good Communication, from switching back & fourth .

4. The Rams last season only carried 8 OLineman !!

I can go on , but I’ll make an actual point in a few post.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Saw your post , & I’m sure you agree that The Back Up Offensive Line is Key to the 2018 draft ? That said I still think it is Best player available , but by position as well .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I actually have a point now !!

Brandin Cooks was actually a benefit to The Offensive Line !! I will give Jared Goff better reads & bigger passing Lanes. He will help open things up , & keep teams from loaded up in the box like years past !!

Sammy Watkins to his credit helped in that respect & was a willing Blocker.

My point being now The Rams need to pin point at least 2 tackles in the 3rd & 4th rds.
Especially 1 that can play LT !!

The reason I say LT for sure is because of injury to Whitmore !! He is the most important
Player on the offense line , because he would be the hardest to replace !!

This is my Thierry of The Rams believe!! In case Whitworth needs to come off the Grass ? Who is his backup ??

The way I see it is McVay gives veterans of on Wednesday, which means there are 2 new starting Offensive Lineman !! A LT which was darrell Williams, and Austin Blythe. These guys were KEY Players last season.
Kromer has the Offensive Line as a Unit. These guys get Reps together where Practice Reps with the 1’s are hard to find !! The reason this works is because of the Communication and solidity as a unit .

So my point is The Rams aren’t going to move ROGER SAFFOLD around to play LT when he is playing at a All Pro level at LG !! He works with 2 new players next to him EVERY Week !!

Plus Kroner All Ready did his Cross Fit last preseason with Brown & Rob Havenstein. Which will be interesting to see how he goes about it this off season.

In hindsight I could be 1,000 % wrong , but as a Bug 5 believer , I Think The Rams Offensive Line will see a New LT drafted Early in 2018. I’n Sure They have a Couple Bug Circles Around that Player & Will Move Up to get him if the Offensive Lineman start to fall in the Draft.

By the way Austin Blythe was solid last season at both Center & Guard when either Brown,Sullivan,&Saffold had to come off the Grass.

Last edited: