Austin Corbett enjoying rewarding third NFL season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cleveland doesn't look too stupid, Both of their Guards are in the top 4 and their Center is top 3. That is a tough lineup to crack. Having said that, I was, and continue to be very happy we pick up Corbett.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cleveland doesn't look too stupid, Both of their Guards are in the top 4 and their Center is top 3. That is a tough lineup to crack. Having said that, I was, and continue to be very happy we pick up Corbett.

Yeah, I guess you could argue they traded from depth they had.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Well, couldn't you post that about any trade. IMO, the Rams Offensive Line Coach (Aaron Kromer) liked Corbett coming out of Nevada and the Browns new regime was not involved drafting Corbett, that's it in a nutshell. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity, so Corbett got traded to a team that knew him and he was given the opportunity to play, plus Kromer was involved in coaching him up again that is a benefit of having one of the better offensive line coaches in the NFL, however, the Browns now have Bill Callahan, who is one of the best too IMHO.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Austin Corbett enjoying rewarding third NFL season

Drafted 33rd overall by the Browns in 2018, Austin Corbett saw scarce playing time as a rookie within a veteran Cleveland offensive line room, then was traded to the Rams halfway through his second season for a 2021 fifth-round pick.

However, the change of scenery brought opportunity sooner than expected, as injuries along Los Angeles' offensive line afforded him the chance to start in seven of the eight games he played. In turn, that sample size gave the Rams enough confidence to keep him in a starting role this year, in what has been a rewarding third season for the former University of Nevada standout.

"Coming into the offseason, my goal was just to be a starter on this team," Corbett said during a video conference Monday, reflecting on his journey to L.A. "That's every competitor's goal, right? You're not just going to go on a team just to sit there and put a jersey on, you want to contribute, you want to do your part for your brothers next to you."

A look at evaluations from inside and outside the Rams locker room offer some insight in why their faith in Corbett was well-placed.

According to scouting service Pro Football Focus (PFF), Corbett allowed the fourth-fewest pressures (11) and tied for the seventh-fewest sacks allowed (1) among offensives guards who logged at least 500 snaps in 2019. This season, PFF has twice recognized him as the highest-graded Rams offensive player, most recently after Los Angeles' Monday Night Football win at Tampa Bay.

Earlier this season, Corbett had the fourth-highest run block win rate of any offensive guard in the NFL, according to ESPN – undoubtedly a critical component to Los Angeles' top-10 rushing offense.

"That kid's strength and explosiveness is what kind of sets him apart," center Austin Blythe said during a Sept. 30 video conference. "I mean, you guys have seen it, he just comes off the ball and mauls people."

And yet, as well as Corbett has played, Rams run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer on noted episode 49 of the Rams Revealed podcast in early October that he is still learning, given Corbett was coming off only his 10th NFL start – he's approaching his 19th this Sunday – and had played so little in Cleveland.

But the progress Corbett displayed in less than a year since the Rams acquired him was promising, and also reminded Kromer of why they liked him coming out of college.

"The guy is just powerful. He's a bigger Blythe-type body, but he can get his hips under you, he really does a good job with using his power, and he's athletic and can run," Kromer said on Oct. 1. "We really liked him coming out of college, it's just Cleveland picked him in the second round and he was gone. He's a guy that's developed as well."

It's been a rewarding season for Corbett off the field, too. In addition to becoming a full-time starter, he and his wife also welcomed their first child, a baby boy named Ford, on Sept. 8.

No matter who or what his sources of motivation have been, though, they've powered him to a strong first season as a full-time starter.

"Looking back, it's been awesome," Corbett said during a video conference Monday. "And really, the bright side of the whole season is that it's my first season as a dad now, and so there's been a different meaning behind why I'm playing this game. I think it really made me just find the love for football even more. And to be able to move on and do it with such a great group of teammates and a great line, you just can't ask for much more."

The timing of this post is curious to me. Why do this after Corbett's WORST game of the year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with him. But praising him this week would be like saying Goff has been mostly good this year.

TexasRam

Legend
Corbett has been solid this year. Not perfect by any means but ill take it. PFF has him about right in my opinion. He's not a Pro Bowl guard but certainly has the potential to creep up the list in the coming years. Him and Edwards solidified what was a nightmare Oline last year.

Havenstein Boom and I believe Corbett all gave up sacks vs the Niners. Without Whitworth our Oline is rather average which puts alot of pressure on the passing game. We really need Whitworth back before Postseason if we hope to go deep in the playoffs in my book.

Green bay, New Orleans and Seattle all have pretty strong Oline's when healthy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That's a fair point, I think he's been very solid and although not a road grader, he's been very good in pass protection and has open up holes for the likes of Henderson, Brown & Akers. One thing, it's obvious that Noteboom is not as good at run blocking then Whitworth, but still has held up well in pass pro. Now I would still be in favor of the Rams upgrading although edge & ILB are first priority for the draft.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
‘cept Noteboom in run blocking.
Which is what we really noticed when he played guard.

Austin Blythe's run-blocking is pretty exceptional but we knew his pass-blocking to be a little weaker.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's a fair point, I think he's been very solid and although not a road grader, he's been very good in pass protection and has open up holes for the likes of Henderson, Brown & Akers. One thing, it's obvious that Noteboom is not as good at run blocking then Whitworth, but still has held up well in pass pro. Now I would still be in favor of the Rams upgrading although edge & ILB are first priority for the draft.
The Joe Noteboom grade is about what most of us believed after his two initial seasons being starter @ OG. His run blocking is just not there...however his pass blocking is far above most of the middle range LT's. Just shows us what the Rams lost when Andrew Whitworth went down. One big serious blow to our OL operation. Our running attack since AW going down has been mostly a bugle-horn retreat instead.

JN has some serious work cut out for him if he is to be even considered a future LT for this team & his time is just about up. Would give some hope to OT Bobby Evans who is sure looking for a post to start from. Who knows where Tremayne Anchrum will end up?Lucky for JN he is playing besides young LG David Edwards who is a good well even pass-run blocker. Hopefully, those two can become a complete blocking duo

Andrew Whitworth shares rehab update, is already walking again

Andrew Whitworth shares rehab update, is already walking again (yahoo.com)

5ffe879752b3a6294a549313eed78141

The Rams have been without Andrew Whitworth for the last two and a half games after he suffered a knee injury, and for the most part, the offensive line has held up well in his absence. As the team’s best offensive lineman and a leader in the locker room, Whitworth has certainly been missed – and both he and his teammates are awaiting his eventual return.

The initial prognosis was that Whitworth could be back for a playoff run, with Sean McVay making it very clear that this was not believed to be a season-ending injury. The veteran left tackle has lived up to his promise of attacking this rehab with everything he has and is already making good progress.

On a call with reporters Tuesday, Whitworth shared an update on his recovery. He’s back on his feet and walking again already, which has surprised the medical professionals he’s working with.

Whitworth said he's already started walking again, which was a pleasant surprise to the medical professionals he's been working with.
— Stu Jackson (@StuJRams) December 1, 2020

As one would expect, Whitworth has remained a leader from afar. He said he’s been in constant contact with the Rams’ other linemen, texting each of them before games to see if they have any questions.
That’s not surprising coming from the former Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee, always doing what he can to help those around him.

Whitworth said he's been in constant contact with the rest of the Rams offensive linemen via their group text chain. He also texts them all individually "all the time" before each game and throughout the week, "just for little things that they may have questions about."
— Stu Jackson (@StuJRams) December 1, 2020
The Rams can survive Whitworth’s absence for the rest of the season with Joe Noteboom holding down the left side, but his return will be a welcomed one – both on the field and in the locker room.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the best thing about Boom playing how he has (holding it down in pass pro) is that we're not as desperate for a LT as we would be otherwise. And I know that Kromer feels they have an answer on the roster. But come the draft if some guy they really like falls to our pick then you take the windfall basically, vice where we'd be if Boom had been bad where it's a position we probably can't mess around with, that Snead would probably be looking to move up and solve it.

But that's the best place to be in the draft, that spot where you don't need to move up unless it's a small jump for a guy you love who slides. And also it means they can look hard at the other cornerstone positions like Edge and CB, the types you can't have enough of. Of course McVay might want another offensive toy lol, but either way they should be able to be pretty flexible depending on what goes down with Floyd and whether they can find a way to retain him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

when compared to what came before him, demby, he has been a sight for sore eyes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I've been on the Corbett hype train ever since we re-signed him. I love him at guard, but I think he can make an even better center. Just my thoughts.

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez give Noteboom a break. Those PFF grades include his play at OG a position HE HAS NEVER PLAYED muchless started. Look at his pass protection grades which standout. Run blocking is a technique developed in the NFL as the players he's going to block are far better than anyone he's faced in college. It's one thing to block the guy immediately in front of you, it's a whole different matter blocking in space and that is a whole new technique that needs to be acquired. His performance as a run blocker WILL IMPROVE WITH EXPERIENCE AND DEVELOPMENTAL COACHING.

Meanwhile, as a LT his pass blocking is well above average and that is IMO far more important. Make no mistake Noteboom is Whitworth's successor.

Corbett was a highly regarded rookie in his draft. The Rams even said he was targeted by him but didn't have the opportunity to take him. I remember that draft and thought he had the makings of a very solid lineman. His play to date has simply validated those assessments. He's a solid OG well worth the price paid for him and looks to be their LG going into the future.

I see Coleman Shelton in that same way. IMO he's underrated and has the makings of a very good center. He would bring the size, power, and mobility lacking in Blythe. Failures in Ram's short yardage runs IMO is due in large part to the lack of power and drive not generated by Blythe. I think an interior o-line of Corbett, Shelton and Evans would give them that smash-mouth interior o-line you want in the run game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The fact is this is Corbetts' first season playing starting RG in the NFL. The first season tied to RT Havenstein. When I look at both of them as "Right Side Tandem" ......I consider them very good & effective. I would like to keep them together working in tandem for as long as the Rams can. It's a positive that should improve IMO.

I am wrong to expect Austin Corbett to improve all elements of his game if he remains our starting RG in the next few seasons?

Is Corbett an OL'er that the Rams should plan to keep around & offer a contract to after next season?
‘cept Noteboom in run blocking.
Do we here @ ROD believe that Joseph Noteboom will improve his weak run blocking game?

JN sure has not had much real-time involvement during actual regular-season snaps to run block from the LT post. Since it's obvious that he is smart & technically sound to perform the more difficult part of playing LT in the NFL would it be wrong to expect that he can get his run blocking together in conjunction with the well-balanced young David Edwards by the end of this season?

Both LG Edwards 6-6/308 23-2 yr & LT Noteboom 6-5/306 25-3 are close to the same size are they capable of being effective tandem on the left side as the Hav/Corbett right side?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Corbs got his ass handed to him pretty good vs SF. It was rather ugly. But sample size and all that, still like what he's doing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Corbs got his ass handed to him pretty good vs SF. It was rather ugly. But sample size and all that, still like what he's doing.

Yeah- just started watching the replay & Austin Corbett totally wiffed on the first offensive play of the game.