Austin Corbett enjoying rewarding third NFL season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Austin Corbett enjoying rewarding third NFL season

Drafted 33rd overall by the Browns in 2018, Austin Corbett saw scarce playing time as a rookie within a veteran Cleveland offensive line room, then was traded to the Rams halfway through his second season for a 2021 fifth-round pick.

However, the change of scenery brought opportunity sooner than expected, as injuries along Los Angeles' offensive line afforded him the chance to start in seven of the eight games he played. In turn, that sample size gave the Rams enough confidence to keep him in a starting role this year, in what has been a rewarding third season for the former University of Nevada standout.

"Coming into the offseason, my goal was just to be a starter on this team," Corbett said during a video conference Monday, reflecting on his journey to L.A. "That's every competitor's goal, right? You're not just going to go on a team just to sit there and put a jersey on, you want to contribute, you want to do your part for your brothers next to you."

A look at evaluations from inside and outside the Rams locker room offer some insight in why their faith in Corbett was well-placed.

According to scouting service Pro Football Focus (PFF), Corbett allowed the fourth-fewest pressures (11) and tied for the seventh-fewest sacks allowed (1) among offensives guards who logged at least 500 snaps in 2019. This season, PFF has twice recognized him as the highest-graded Rams offensive player, most recently after Los Angeles' Monday Night Football win at Tampa Bay.

Earlier this season, Corbett had the fourth-highest run block win rate of any offensive guard in the NFL, according to ESPN – undoubtedly a critical component to Los Angeles' top-10 rushing offense.

"That kid's strength and explosiveness is what kind of sets him apart," center Austin Blythe said during a Sept. 30 video conference. "I mean, you guys have seen it, he just comes off the ball and mauls people."

And yet, as well as Corbett has played, Rams run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer on noted episode 49 of the Rams Revealed podcast in early October that he is still learning, given Corbett was coming off only his 10th NFL start – he's approaching his 19th this Sunday – and had played so little in Cleveland.

But the progress Corbett displayed in less than a year since the Rams acquired him was promising, and also reminded Kromer of why they liked him coming out of college.

"The guy is just powerful. He's a bigger Blythe-type body, but he can get his hips under you, he really does a good job with using his power, and he's athletic and can run," Kromer said on Oct. 1. "We really liked him coming out of college, it's just Cleveland picked him in the second round and he was gone. He's a guy that's developed as well."

It's been a rewarding season for Corbett off the field, too. In addition to becoming a full-time starter, he and his wife also welcomed their first child, a baby boy named Ford, on Sept. 8.

No matter who or what his sources of motivation have been, though, they've powered him to a strong first season as a full-time starter.

"Looking back, it's been awesome," Corbett said during a video conference Monday. "And really, the bright side of the whole season is that it's my first season as a dad now, and so there's been a different meaning behind why I'm playing this game. I think it really made me just find the love for football even more. And to be able to move on and do it with such a great group of teammates and a great line, you just can't ask for much more."

fearsomefour

Legend
He’s had a good year and really helped solidify the right side of the line.
Played at a high school about 4 miles from my home and a college about 5 miles from my house.
Was stoked when we traded for him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The move in 2019 to acquire OL'er Austin Corbett was one of the better deals Snead made late last year. This season he has a PFF grade of 71.5! Corbett is the Ram's best performing OG.

Our current starting LT Noteboom who was awarded the starting LG for 2020 by Kromer over Corbett has a grade current grade @ 51.7 with 2 sacks allowed.

Snead gets an A-plus on that decision. Corbett proven to be a handy & gifted OG who can play both LG & RG with good results. Rams have him for one more season in 2021.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He’s had a good year and really helped solidify the right side of the line.
Played at a high school about 4 miles from my home and a college about 5 miles from my house.
Was stoked when we traded for him.

And who says, nothing good ever comes out of Nevada? ;)

dang

Legend
I am impressed with Corbett and Havenstein this year. So are our recent run offense struggles based on poor blocking? Exceptional Defensive play? Predictable play calling?

dang

Legend
I am impressed with Corbett and Havenstein this year. So are our recent run offense struggles based on poor run blocking? Exceptional Defensive play? Predictable play calling?

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It just goes to show how differently our front office works than others. A fifth round pick for Corbett was actually stealing him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So are our recent run offense struggles based on poor blocking? Exceptional Defensive play? Predictable play calling?

A little bit of all I think, kind of combining to create a bit of a set back but not necessarily any one specific issue that can't be fixed.. also some diminishing returns from Hendersons effectiveness as the season has progressed or he's just been bottled up more.
Losing Whit won't help any, but if we start giving Akers 2 out of 3 carries, its possible we can get back to beating teams on the ground and dictating the flow of the game. Nobody does that better than McVay when his run game is working imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The move in 2019 to acquire OL'er Austin Corbett was one of the better deals Snead made late last year. This season he has a PFF grade of 71.5! Corbett is the Ram's best performing OG.

Our current starting LT Noteboom who was awarded the starting LG for 2020 by Kromer over Corbett has a grade current grade @ 51.7 with 2 sacks allowed.

Snead gets an A-plus on that decision. Corbett proven to be a handy & gifted OG who can play both LG & RG with good results. Rams have him for one more season in 2021.
Yeah both Snead and Kromer deserve cred there, finding a starter for that cheap is a big deal. Corbett's got some upside too.

I don't agree with everything PFF puts out, but ranking 16th among the league starters (16th) is damn good. Edwards is also in the top 30 (20th), and when you consider there's 2 of these guys per team the Rams are in a very, very nice spot with young starters at guard.

What's really surprising to me with Corbs is how good he's been in the run game. His 73 mark definitely matches what I've been seeing. I have always considered him to be a better pass pro guy than run blocking but it shows how important coaching/scheme is in getting the most from these linemen.

1606852250489.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also while I'm in here poking around...

Centers
1606852628354.png

Tackles
1606852735957.png

1606852926189.png

And just as an aside the position I think we are by far the weakest at is Center. So IMO those rankings are off a bit but it's nice to see the Rams have an OL grading so high across the board.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Notebloom run blocking really stands out...YIKES

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It just goes to show how differently our front office works than others. A fifth round pick for Corbett was actually stealing him.
Cleveland originally offered him for a 6th round pick, but Snead said, "no way, that's WAY too valuable of a pick!"

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A fifth round pick for Corbett was actually stealing him.

Yeah, a 5th round pick turned starter... a good one too. THAT’s what keeps teams consistently good when you can build like that.

I don't agree with everything PFF puts out, but ranking 16th among the league starters (16th) is damn good. Edwards is also in the top 30 (20th), and when you consider there's 2 of these guys per team the Rams are in a very, very nice spot with young starters at guard.

Yeah, 2 guards in top 20... that’s impressive!