Around the League: State of the 2022 Detroit Lions - Will the team break through?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Oh I agree with you 100% there other than maybe Jackson. Those Buffalo games really put a damper on how I feel about Jackson.

Lawrence has the talent so I would take him over Goff right now. But he still needs to prove to me that he is a for sure top 10 QB.

And yeah - Goff's decision making under pressure sucked.
My bad I meant 10 QBs I would take over Goff, I would not rank Lawrence in the top 10 best QBs right now. Sorry my bad

Tano

Legend
My bad I meant 10 QBs I would take over Goff, I would not rank Lawrence in the top 10 best QBs right now. Sorry my bad
I should probably add one more thing about Jackson.

He is a one trick pony imho and I don't want him in the playoffs because teams can scheme to stop him.

That is why he has at most one playoff win in his career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The dropoff from the good QBs is around low teens. After that it's pick your poison with guys at different stages of NFL careers. Some are likely never to be anything special. Others still have time and upside to prove. Goff is around that 18 to low 20s range but still has some time and could jump if he can get back to playing with confidence.

I look at Goff as a guy who is roughly midway through his development. He's hit some potholes and it's uncertain whether he's going to make it to that mastery level. But he has the talent so who knows, and I am glad he's Detroit's issue.

McVay does need to start thinking about a good backup with upside for behind Stafford. Because he's the kind of guy who will play through shit and guys like that can drop off the table quickly. For now he's very much at that mastery level and is one of a small group you can say that about. Some of the best QBs in this league are still developing IMO, the guys like Allen, Burrow, etc. They're good enough to be in conversation with that top group so they're exceptional but some of that too is the teams and staffs around them IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I should probably add one more thing about Jackson.

He is a one trick pony imho and I don't want him in the playoffs because teams can scheme to stop him.

That is why he has at most one playoff win in his career.
Goff is a competitive QB,but Lamar Jackson he is not.I guess you need to really protect Goff.
L. Jackson needs some WR’s. I think that part of it is overlooked.

I do remember that 2019 AZZ no ona Monday Night.That could have been the worst loss in Mcvay’s HC career ?

Tano

Legend
Goff is a competitive QB,but Lamar Jackson he is not.I guess you need to really protect Goff.
L. Jackson needs some WR’s. I think that part of it is overlooked.

I do remember that 2019 AZZ no ona Monday Night.That could have been the worst loss in Mcvay’s HC career ?
Yeah that was the worst loss but if you recall the game, Lamar Jackson just ran over SJD's spot all game. That was SJD's worst game ever as a ram. That center just manhandled him that game.

And then when Lamar Jackson dropped back to pass, every completion was to a receiver that was open by 5 yards or more.

Phillips defensive gameplan in that game was just horrible. And he stuck with the same game plan the entire game.

And yeah I have to agree with you that Goff needs decent protection to be a good QB. He cannot make plays on his own. But give him time, he can be deadly.

So unfortunately with Goff, you have the really terrible Goff and the really good Goff. I don't think there is a middle ground with him.

Kind of reminds me of Fitzpatrick but with better game management.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah that was the worst loss but if you recall the game, Lamar Jackson just ran over SJD's spot all game. That was SJD's worst game ever as a ram. That center just manhandled him that game.

And then when Lamar Jackson dropped back to pass, every completion was to a receiver that was open by 5 yards or more.

Phillips defensive gameplan in that game was just horrible. And he stuck with the same game plan the entire game.

And yeah I have to agree with you that Goff needs decent protection to be a good QB. He cannot make plays on his own. But give him time, he can be deadly.

So unfortunately with Goff, you have the really terrible Goff and the really good Goff. I don't think there is a middle ground with him.

Kind of reminds me of Fitzpatrick but with better game management.
They don’t call him Fitz-magic for nothing.To think he was a Rams Mad Mike drafted. Thanks linehan.
I’m curious to see how Jared Goff’s career goes? I hear a lot of talk shows say Detroit needs a QB of the future.IMO Goff could be that guy.He has played in as many SuperBowls as Stafford. Add - I will never get over that holding call on John Sullivan.You take that chance of winning away from the players on a call like that.Gurley might have gone of in that 2nd half(4th qrt).
I wonder how Goff does against Kevin O’Connell twice a season.He is not a Fan.There has to be a little something something there?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I agree with you 100% there other than maybe Jackson. Those Buffalo games really put a damper on how I feel about Jackson.

Lawrence has the talent so I would take him over Goff right now. But he still needs to prove to me that he is a for sure top 10 QB.

And yeah - Goff's decision making under pressure sucked.
Goff hater

dang

Legend
definitely thinking more around 11-15 for me I would still take any of those 10 guys before Goff. I just feel Goff's decision making under pressure is terrible and I'd guess McVay thought so too. Don't wish anything bad for him because he seems like a good guy but I'm glad we were able to upgrade at QB.
10-12 for me but I’m a bit biased for Goff.

Tano

Legend
He has to prove it out but I'm there with that ranking. I hold no ill will for Goff and want to see him succeed. PERIOD.
Yeah I am really curious this year to see if he proves that he belongs in the 10 -15 range or if he drops to the below 25 range.n I truly believe it will be one or the other.

If I had to bet, I would go with the 10 - 15 range

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
10-12 for me but I’m a bit biased for Goff.
I think that's fair too. @Tano kinda nailed it above when he described his play as Jekyll and Hyde. In 17-18, we saw mostly Jekyll. It was the Hyde in 19-20 that got us where we are today. Blythe definitely has culpability as does McVay, but we ended up with a better QB and a SB!!!

I am still a Goff fan and feel like he never got the credit he deserved from the talking heads in the media. I honestly hope he kicks ass in Detroit, just not enough of it to derail the Rams 3peat!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why I put Goff in the 20-25 category based off last year:
Yards #20
TD pass #20
QB rating #17
INT % #8
YPA #27
Why I think he can elevate in to a much higher echelon?
If he played the entire season at the same pace he played his last 5 games, his rankings would have been
Yards #18
TD pass #9
QB rating #3
INT % #3
YPA #17
There's a good, dare to say great QB in there, see some of his performances in 2017-2018.

Tano

Legend
Why I put Goff in the 20-25 category based off last year:
Yards #20
TD pass #20
QB rating #17
INT % #8
YPA #27
Why I think he can elevate in to a much higher echelon?
If he played the entire season at the same pace he played his last 5 games, his rankings would have been
Yards #18
TD pass #9
QB rating #3
INT % #3
YPA #17
There's a good, dare to say great QB in there, see some of his performances in 2017-2018.
That's fair but last year was such a shit team lol especially after he lost all WR with any experience and his starting center and left tackle.

When he does as well as he did in the last 5 games when he got Josh Reynolds as his number 1 - I mean Josh Fricken Reynolds - that tells me he might be able to get in the 10 - 15 range. I doubt he will get any higher than that since the guys in the top 8 are really good.

Edit - however, if you average those 5 categories, he would be at 18.

But let's penalize him a little bit for the YPA category and drop him to 19.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fair but last year was such a shit team lol especially after he lost all WR with any experience and his starting center and left tackle.

When he does as well as he did in the last 5 games when he got Josh Reynolds as his number 1 - I mean Josh Fricken Reynolds - that tells me he might be able to get in the 10 - 15 range. I doubt he will get any higher than that since the guys in the top 8 are really good.

Edit - however, if you average those 5 categories, he would be at 18.

But let's penalize him a little bit for the YPA category and drop him to 19.
Did you read the 2nd half of my post?

Tano

Legend
Did you read the 2nd half of my post?
Yes I did. And I agree with you there.

I was mostly responding to your 1st half. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

I probably should edit my second to last sentence in the second paragraph to

"that tells me that like you said that he just might be able to get in the 10-15 range"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Man, I just…I do not see what some of ya’ll see.
If one could take experience and durability out of the equation(which Goff has in spades) I really think I’d rather have 25-30 other QB’s as my starter.

He went from awful to pretty good to average to bad in his career. You can’t blame that on a Center or a banged up Gurley or whatever.

Even the great QB’s have peaks and valleys throughout their career, but his trajectory is crystal clear to me.

He’s been in the league for six seasons. He was ultimately benched and traded from a loaded roster which immediately won it all.
If Goff gets us to the SB vs the Bengals what happens when OBJ goes down, no Woods, the run game is non existent and guys like Skoronek, and Hopkins are running routes? Ughhh. You know. Nothing clutch. Dinking, dunking, overthrows, INT’s, fumbles….Yuck.

He’s a likeable guy but he’s not a good QB anymore, if he ever was.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Goff gets us to the SB vs the Bengals what happens when OBJ goes down, no Woods, the run game is non existent and guys like Skoronek, and Hopkins are running routes? Ughhh. You know. Nothing clutch. Dinking, dunking, overthrows, INT’s, fumbles….Yuck.
I'll do you one better, is there any QB that you could put in Stafford's place under those circumstances and expect to win?
Not me
Maybe Mahomes?
Rams dont win that SB without Stafford, no way no how
And if Goff was still a Ram, he'd be the best QB in the NFC west. But he cant hold Stafford's jock

dang

Legend
Man, I just…I do not see what some of ya’ll see.
If one could take experience and durability out of the equation(which Goff has in spades) I really think I’d rather have 25-30 other QB’s as my starter.

He went from awful to pretty good to average to bad in his career. You can’t blame that on a Center or a banged up Gurley or whatever.

Even the great QB’s have peaks and valleys throughout their career, but his trajectory is crystal clear to me.

He’s been in the league for six seasons. He was ultimately benched and traded from a loaded roster which immediately won it all.

He’s a likeable guy but he’s not a good QB anymore, if he ever was.
“ He went from awful to pretty good to average to bad in his career”.
Awful to start?? I strongly disagree if you are talking about him taking over at QB on a pathetic Rams offense his rookie year.
Bad?? Again I strongly disagree. Yes he had bad games but he’s never been bad even starting out with the Lions.