Around the League: State of the 2022 Detroit Lions - Will the team break through?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

State of the 2022 Detroit Lions: Will team break through in Year 2 under Dan Campbell?​

Members of the Lions organization, Lions fans around the world and those who still have a dog named Megatron:

The Lions were competitive in the second half of last season. That might seem like damning with faint praise. But they really did step it up once the calendar turned to November, so what do you want from me? That performance has people buzzing for this year, with the squad readying for its closeup on HBO's Hard Knocks. Could the Lions be the surprise team of 2022? Let's take a look.

One high from last season: Going 3-3 down the stretch. The Lions tied the Steelers in Week 10 -- which should have been a win for Detroit -- and then had close losses to the Browns and Bears before beating the Vikings for their first win of the season. This was a .500 team in the final six weeks, which included a win over the Packers in Week 18. Don't worry about who the quarterback was at the end of the game for Green Bay -- you won the contest. This really was a great way to finish.

One low from last season: The last-second loss to the Ravens in Week 3. This was exceptionally brutal. There was a controversial non-call. Then, Justin Tucker's 66-yard field-goal attempt hit the crossbar and went in, setting an NFL record for the longest field goal. Yeah, that was bad.

Head coach: Dan Campbell. I know Campbell bears a striking resemblance to South Park character PC Principal. And sometimes his sound bites seem like they're from a coach in a teen movie. Or Riverdale or something. But let's put it out there: The Lions responded to him in his first season on the job. They played hard. They were winless through their first 11 games, but they never gave up. The players love him. There are times when you might want to disregard Campbell due to his bravado, but it feels like a clever character choice to me. Like when you watch The Office, there are times where Michael Scott actually reveals himself as a genius with a real grasp on leadership, a guy who isn't doing things just to be funny. Look at the episodes Survivor Man and Murder, where Michael shows that he's crazy like a fox. That feels like Dan Campbell. There might be a lurking genius behind those anecdotes of plucking chickens.

Quarterback: Jared Goff. Listen, I make my jokes about Jared Goff. But you're not reading this to see some negativity about the guy who is going to be the starting quarterback for this team. I think it's telling that, while people talk about Baker Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo unseating potential starting quarterbacks in some other situations (looking at you, Seattle), the Lions seem committed to Goff. And let's share more positivity. Goff had an 11:2 touchdown-to-interception ratio in Weeks 11-18 (second-best in the NFL; min. of 100 pass attempts during that stretch). Only Aaron Rodgers was better over those eight weeks. And in his final five starts of the season, the Lions went 3-2 and he posted a 107.1 passer rating.

Projected 2022 MVP: Goff. It's almost too easy to list the quarterback here, but when you look at the numbers mentioned above, it's clear that Goff's improvement tied directly to the Lions' success at the end of the 2021 season. I am going to write about other members of the Lions organization in this piece, but if Goff doesn't deliver this season, it's all moot.

New face to know: Aidan Hutchinson, defensive end. You know, a lot of good things are happening for the Lions. Hutchinson was ranked as the top prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft by my colleague Daniel Jeremiah, but the Jaguars went in another direction and selected Travon Walker No. 1 overall, leaving the Plymouth, Michigan, native available for the Lions. What a stroke of luck! Hutchinson could have a Nick Bosa-like impact for the Lions. Hutchinson posted 14 sacks in 2021, which set a Michigan school record and ranked second among players from Power Five schools. I need to talk more about the pass rush in a minute.

2022 breakout star: Levi Onwuzurike, defensive lineman. The second-year pro showed some flashes as a rookie, but was not healthy for much of the year. Fortunately, it sounds like he's putting those issues behind him. The former second-round pick will once again find himself in the rotation on a defensive line that includes 11th-year veteran Michael Brockers, who told reporters earlier this month that he doesn't think of himself as one of the old guys in the league, but will "pull my 'OG' card out a little bit." Anyhow, I predict there will be a point this season when Onwuzurike ends up being the dude at defensive tackle.

Three key dates:

Week 2 vs. Washington Commodes. The Lions open with back-to-back home contests. And although they are currently underdogs against the Eagles in Week 1 and the Commodes in Week 2, they need to take at least one of the two if they want to quickly erase the memory of last season's woes.
Week 10 at Chicago Bears. The Lions were swept by the Bears last season. If Detroit is going to improve this year, these are the games it needs to win.
Week 18 at Green Bay Packers. The division title could be on the line! I mean, it's June. Why not be optimistic at the moment?
Will the Lions be able to ...

... get to the quarterback? We love that Hutchinson was selected, but he can't do it all on his own. He should be able to help, though. The Lions recorded 30 sacks in 2021, third-fewest in the NFL. Only the Falcons (18) and Eagles (29) had fewer. Now, in terms of pass coverage, the Lions did sign cornerback Mike Hughes in free agency. And if Jeff Okudah, the third pick of the 2020 NFL Draft, has a breakthrough season in his return from an Achilles tear, there is an opportunity for the secondary to be pretty good, thus giving the pass rushers a chance to get home. Linebacker Jarrad Davis is back with the team, and blitzing was probably his greatest strength in the first go-around. The ability to increase the heat on opposing QBs might come down to defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn, who interviewed for head-coaching jobs in Denver and New Orleans this offseason and could be one of the leading candidates during the next hiring cycle. I mean, Goff is a huge part of things. But if the Lions come together on defense, look out.

... get a breakout season from D'Andre Swift? The fantasy football community loves Swift, who is entering his third NFL season. And the potential is there. But at some point, he needs to become the guy. Assistant head coach/running backs Duce Staley challenged him recently to fight through some of the nagging injuries that have held him back during his brief time in Detroit. Swift has started just eight games during his NFL career and shares time with Jamaal Williams, who started 11 games in 2021. Swift has logged 20 or more touches in just four contests. I think you could say that we just want to see more. And if you're looking for some similarities, Swift reminds me an awful lot of Dalvin Cook, who played just four games during his rookie year. He took another step forward in his second season and exploded for 13 rushing touchdowns during his third season in Minnesota. That would be the dream for Lions fans. Also, more consistent dominance from second-year OT Penei Sewell would be very helpful to that cause.

... people shouldn't overthink: Who will lead the Lions in targets? Again, I'm letting my fantasy bias get the best of me with this topic. Many are looking to wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, who was excellent for the Lions last season. But his breakout coincided with tight end T.J. Hockenson's absence due to injury. And I know that you're thinking, But yeah -- he broke out and is going to be the next Cooper Kupp. I understand you feel that way, but the Lions added D.J. Chark and Jameson Williams at receiver this offseason. Detroit traded up in Round 1 to draft Williams, who is coming off a torn ACL he suffered in the College Football Playoff National Championship. Prior to that injury, he did post 15 receiving touchdowns, which was tied for third in the FBS. It's a bummer to not have answers for you fantasy-wise. But when it comes to the Lions' receivers, this is a pretty good group for Goff.

... people shouldn't overlook: The Lions elevated Ben Johnson to offensive coordinator. I thought Anthony Lynn was an excellent hire for the Lions in 2021, but he lost play-calling duties in November and the team parted ways with him as offensive coordinator after the season-ending victory over the Packers. Campbell told reporters, "It just wasn’t a fit." And that seems fair. Lynn spoke very highly of Campbell and the Lions after moving on. Sometimes things don't go like you want them to. These things happen in sports. Johnson feels like a guy who is ready to take the next step forward. The former tight ends coach could help lead Hockenson to a great season.

For 2022 to be a success, the Lions MUST:

Let's be fair. This team won three games last year. At the same time, there is so much buzz about the Lions. It feels like I can't be on the set of Good Morning Football or Total Access for more than a minute before somebody will bring up the notion the Lions are going to be the surprise team this season. I would offer that finishing above .500 seems like a realistic goal. That might get you to the playoffs, given the shape of some of these NFC teams. It's June. Dream big, Detroit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Lions have a bit of a Rams connection so I found this article interesting.

How does year 2 go under Dan Campbell, Goff, and Brad Holmes?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Besides our Goff connection, Detroit is an easy team to root for. I hope they do well this year.

Tano

Legend
I still think they will go at best 7-10

But that is definitely a step in the right direction.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Goff and Brockers.
As was last season, best of luck to them.
The way a majority of their fans took to the Rams and Stafford was great.
Stafford is loved by both fan bases in a way that Brady can ony dream about.
I hope the fans can take to Goff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Last year initially, I didn't care, but I did find myself when I watched rooting for them to win after they added Josh Reynolds, plus many Lion fans rooted hard for Stafford & the Rams so I'm returning the favor this season.

Goff showed some grit as once Dan Campbell took over play calling duties & the claim of Reynolds Goff play improved each week. Soon everyone is going to be saying Dan Campbell is a modern day Bill Cowher. I expect the Lions & the Vikings to give the Packers trouble with hope that the drama queen gets what he deserves.

1655383470751.png

1655383501450.png

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
The Lions have a bit of a Rams connection so I found this article interesting.

How does year 2 go under Dan Campbell, Goff, and Brad Holmes?
I’m hoping the my go well and don’t make it easy for the Packers or Vikings. The Bears are they only team in the NFC North without a Rams Coaching Staff or FO presence!

Psycho_X

Legend
I've always been a side fan of the Lions. Loved Barry Sanders and have some family that live nearby so cheered for them in the 90s when it didn't effect the Rams. They've been so atrocious that it's been a moot point since those brief glory years but Holmes will have enough talent on this team to be in the playoffs in a couple of years. I'm not sure they are there yet but I think it'll be a very fun team to watch for Detroit fans which, given their history, will be like making the playoffs. If Goff's top 5 o-line can all stay healthy for the season he'll be slinging it well as we know what he can do when protected.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope we can swing a trade for Brockers mid season for peanuts to get him a ring

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will be watching the Lions this season. They interest me more than any team other than the Rams. I really hope they turn that division on its ear.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a soft spot for the Detroit Rams. Goff, Brockers, Reynolds and Holmes. One piece of advice for Jared on Hard Knocks:
East: Where the the sun rises
West: Where it sets.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hard not to root for those lovable losers. They definitely added some talent to that roster in this year's draft. 6 wins would be a good season. I think they can win 8 if they get some breaks and Goff recaptures some of his 18' magic.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm surprised the Lions bet on Goff like they did. Basically if Goff doesn't take some big steps forward this season they will draft a QB in 2023 draft but then they are looking at a third straight losing record because nobody is a threat do to shit in the playoffs with a rookie signal caller. Had they hedged their bets with a QB they liked of this group they would have a cheap fallback in the event things go that route.

It's either the draft pick or rolling the dice on another QB that a team is giving up on, with a guy like maybe Mayfield. Which is some serious hubris for the head coach IMO, to think that he can win with a castoff at QB and/or management team is going to honor that five year contract. But he's already had one losing season. If this is a losing season things gonna look a lot different for him. And a third losing season will definitely change shit for him and heat that seat up considerably.

I'd take a QB at some point in each draft if I'm anything other than assured that he's the guy. So even though I like their roster build thus far it looks to me like it's a bit too strong on Goff finding himself. That's a really big gamble, more than I would take in Brad's seat.

nighttrain

Legend
I will be watching the Lions this season. They interest me more than any team other than the Rams. I really hope they turn that division on its ear.
I watched every Lions game last season, still a fan of JG. While losing a lot of games, they were competitive.
train

Tano

Legend
I'm surprised the Lions bet on Goff like they did. Basically if Goff doesn't take some big steps forward this season they will draft a QB in 2023 draft but then they are looking at a third straight losing record because nobody is a threat do to shit in the playoffs with a rookie signal caller. Had they hedged their bets with a QB they liked of this group they would have a cheap fallback in the event things go that route.

It's either the draft pick or rolling the dice on another QB that a team is giving up on, with a guy like maybe Mayfield. Which is some serious hubris for the head coach IMO, to think that he can win with a castoff at QB and/or management team is going to honor that five year contract. But he's already had one losing season. If this is a losing season things gonna look a lot different for him. And a third losing season will definitely change shit for him and heat that seat up considerably.

I'd take a QB at some point in each draft if I'm anything other than assured that he's the guy. So even though I like their roster build thus far it looks to me like it's a bit too strong on Goff finding himself. That's a really big gamble, more than I would take in Brad's seat.
Goff with the right type of team can still get them to the playoffs.

Can he win a Superbowl with it - that I don't know and everyone knows I am a big fan of Goff.

The QBs this year sucked and the Lions did right by not getting anyone at 2 and they desperately needed a receiver at 14.

Get a QB in the 3rd round - maybe but I just was not impressed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8 wins this year and a new QB in ‘23
That's about what I expect. But if that new QB is a draft pick then you're talking .500 ball at best for the next season. Seems to me like the head coach is feeling a bit more secure than he should be.

If Goff turns things around then he'll be good. But boy has he thrown himself at the mercy of his QB. Hope for his sake he gets the needed production at QB, it would make that division a lot more fun to watch.

Tano

Legend
That's about what I expect. But if that new QB is a draft pick then you're talking .500 ball at best for the next season. Seems to me like the head coach is feeling a bit more secure than he should be.

If Goff turns things around then he'll be good. But boy has he thrown himself at the mercy of his QB. Hope for his sake he gets the needed production at QB, it would make that division a lot more fun to watch.
The way Goff was playing at the end of the year with Brown as the Slot Receiver and Reynolds as the number 1, he was definitely on his way to turning things around.

But they still need a much better number 1 than Reynolds. Can the new guy be it? And once the Rookie is able to play, they might just have 4 decent receivers with a very good TE.

And their OL will hopefully be healthy this year.

Losing a very good LT and a pro bowl center will hurt any team.

I will definitely be rooting for them as my number 3 team - Rams first by overwhelming feelings, Buffalo second (wife's team) and then Detroit