Are the 49ers going to be our biggest threat in the coming years ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don't think so. Fisher did the same thing that the 9ers are currently doing. Changing up their QB in the middle/end of the season to make it look like they are on the up and up. It's a common move HCs make to give the impression that things aren't a complete disaster. Once teams have enough film to actually gameplan they will go back to the same old sorry 9ers.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was surprised that the Patriots traded Garoppolo.

New England would have lost Garrapolo after this year anyhow. I believe they held out for two #1 picks, but ultimately decided they had to move him or he would have left anyway. Also, F the 49er's! I want to dominate them for as long as possible. I just can't get over that SOSAR crap!

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can see it, as long as they resign Garoppolo.. They need to get him inked before he hits the open market though, because if other teams are allowed to bid he's going to get a much higher payday I'm sure.

So I hope that they don't, and are either stuck without a QB (because he's done just enough to push them out of that top QB draft spot) or they have to overpay to have the 3rd best QB in the division.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Jimmy G hasn't been formally introduced to Aaron Donald yet. Let's see how good he is come week 17.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
New England would have lost Garrapolo after this year anyhow. I believe they held out for two #1 picks, but ultimately decided they had to move him or he would have left anyway.

Quarterbacks are so scarce and he looked like a keeper to me.
So you gotta make it work somehow financially.

When you are desperate in the draft it is more of a risk.
If you know you have a QB with ANY kind of potential, you have to hang on to that player like he is a life raft and you're in the middle of the ocean.

THAT is how rare franchise quarterbacks are becoming. JMO.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Nope. Brady is a system QB. You can plug just about anyone in there and as long as they don't make stupid mistakes they win.
That's your opinion that he's just some kind of clown system quarterback.

Standby for reality as they become only an above-average team with an above-average quarterback.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
That's your opinion that he's just some kind of clown system quarterback.

Standby for reality as they become only an above-average team with an above-average quarterback.
Yeah, ok. Cassel was supposed to be the next great QB out of New England. Remember when he signed the big contract after his great year playing for Brady? Where is he playing this year?

Fact is Brady has had a top 10 defense in points per game for 14 of his 17 years in New England. But keep believing it's Brady winning all the games in New England. Since Brady has been in New England the Pats defense has averaged allowing only 18.6 points per game. To put that in perspective, the Rams in that time frame have averaged 23.6 ppg on defense. And the Steelers, 18 ppg. Packers 21 ppg. If a team holds the other team to 17 points or less during a game they have an 70% chance of winning. QB doesn't matter. That's the NFL average. Prior to Belicheat being in New England their defense averaged 21.4 ppg. During that time period their winning percentage was .461. Since he came on board, their winning percentage is .741. 47% of the games Brady has played in the other team was held to 17 point or less. Even Blaine Gabbert has a chance to win with that kind of defense. Note: 4 of Arizona 6 wins this year they held the other team to under 17 points.

Don't believe me? Look at New England this year. 8 of 11 wins they held the other team to 17 points or less. 2016, 10 out of 14 wins.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It depends on Garapolo... I need to see more. If they like him, they need to figure out how to sign him.

After that, my confidence remains high having watched Shanahan blow the Super Bowl last year. :sneaky:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
It seems that the Whiners will offer the biggest challenge to us. That being said, in this day and age you can't count out quick rebuilds/turnarounds by the gridbirds or seahags.

nighttrain

Legend
It depends on Garapolo... I need to see more. If they like him, they need to figure out how to sign him.

After that, my confidence remains high having watched Shanahan blow the Super Bowl last year. :sneaky:
And on the hand, they sign Garrapolo for 20 mil a yr for 6 years, and he turns into Matt Cassel
after the NFL gets some film on him :mrburnsevil:
train

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Garrapollo is a FA after this season..........Lynch is unproven as a GM and hasn't looked all that great..........Shanahan falls into the same category, unproven and hasn't looked all that good.

4 wins against the Bears, Giants, Titans and Texans and now they are a threat to the Rams?

Please those 4 teams can lose to anyone on any Sunday. Those are FAR from quality wins and were close games.

The 49ers are below average and look to stay that way for awhile.

The NFCW may be a cakewalk for the Rams in the coming years.

All damn day THIS.

Memba when the Rams beat the Colts, 49ers, Cardinals, Giants, etc. It was always said "well they haven't played any one."

SF beats bottom feeders (barely, mind you) and suddenly are the greatest thing since the 80s!

tenor.gif

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

I've watched a lot of Garappolo (Directv Sunday ticket) since he took over the starting job and quite frankly I am very concerned as to what I've observed. He has an excellent and very accurate arm. He moves well in the pocket and considering he had no OTAs or TC with his receiver corps he looks very comfortable throwing to them.

Heck Garcon is out injured but some dude named Goodwin is putting up huge numbers so there's that.....I mean they beat a Titan team that was desperate for a win to keep their playoff hopes alive and Garappolo looked like a seasoned veteran especially in the 4th quarter.

Bottom line is I really, really, hope the Whiners screw it up and let this kid walk. But after investing a 2nd rounder in him I highly doubt Lynch and crew are that dumb.

P.S. BTW the TE jerry32 liked so much, George Kittle, is also looking very good. He and Garappolo seem to be in sync and are connecting on a lot of plays.

Just sayin'

~ArkyRamsFan~

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Matt Cassel has nothing to do with Garoppolo.

Garoppolo looked good in College.
Garoppolo looked good in the preseason.
Garoppolo looks good now.

Cassel only looked good when he was surrounded by a really good team in New England.

Anyway, time will tell, I just find it kind of different when people express their opinions as if they are hardcore cut in stone facts.

JackStraw

Rookie
Jimmy G played behind Brady/Belicheck
Just like Rodgers played behind Favre/Holmgren
Young played behind Montana/Walsh
....and Warner played behind Trent Green?/Martz?

I'm not willing to make any predictions other than I believe JG may have flawlessly transitioned into QB role into a can't miss system. Good for SF. I want them to be on our level.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Why in the world would he not play ??? Is he hurt and I missed it ???

If McVay decides to rest him for the playoffs along with Goff and Gurley and Whit and.... but I think you knew that would be why. That If the Rams don't advance their playoff position with a W vs 9ers, they very well may rest their stars.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I didn't understand what you meant...I thought you were talking about this week...