Are the 49ers going to be our biggest threat in the coming years ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Ramowl

Starter
It's a bit of a quickly drawn conclusion after just three wins on their part, but it seems Garoppolo is a really good QB, he is a calm and composed pocket passer who turned the team around (another proof of the fact that you cannot win in the NFL without a good QB), and they have Shanahan at the helm, who did what he could with that dumpster fire of a team he had, but I am convinced he will bring them somewhere, at least offensively.

Meanwhile, Pete Carroll has no solutions against young offense minded head coach (look that piece from Cowherd about the similarity of this situation and how things ended for him at USC), and this week-ends game showed that the Seahawks window might shutting down for real, because they are a team of old overpayed players and will need a full rebuild pretty soon. The Cardinals are now a very average team, Fitz will retire soon and Palmer is done, I think they will finish last in the division next year, as they have posed absolutely no threat to us in the two times we played them, none of them in LA.

I expect a full changing of the guard in the NFC West next year.

JackStraw

Rookie
In our division, absolutely. I'm willing to bet we win 6 outta next 10 games vs SF and either AZ or SEA goes on a multi year losing streak vs us.
By 2020 Rams/Niners will be hottest rivarly is NFL. Every match up will be either Sunday or Monday night.

But in the near future(next 2 seasons) Philly, Minnesota, Dallas, Carolina, and Green Bay are teams in conference that scare me the most. I think Philly just might be considered serious out of division rivals as long as they can keep their kid healthy

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Yep 49ers: Gman is good already. Great D line
Seattle will always be 9-7 to 11-5 on avg---as long as Petey is coaching D. They ain't going away....

Last edited:

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I think so too.
I watched the NFL show last night in the UK. Its hosted by Osi Umenyiora and Jason Bell and they were both raving about Garropolo.
The 49ers have looked better late in the season and I agree the old rivalry will be back sooner rather than later.

I welcome the collapse of the Seahawks and the resurgence of the old foe in coming seasons.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yes, I believe they will, the defense under young DC Robert Saleh has been playing well, Kyle Shanahan is an excellent player caller and Jimmy Garoppolo is the best QB they have had in San Francisco since Cherries Garcia....Add in they will add a high profile WR in the draft and cap room to boot and yes the 49ers are trending upward, that's for sure.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams biggest threat in the next few years is going to be the 49ers, we are in for some Patriots like dominance and stranglehold on 1st place

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Yes, seatle is falling apart and I think this summer alot of their guys will be traded or the coach will leave .

Arizona is in rebuild mode , please trade us Patrick Peterson or Chandler jones .

Rams vs 49ers will be the future of this division !

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They look to have a QB and have a decent start at a roster. With some high picks this year if they keep on drafting well it could be a rivalry again.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The silver lining will be cap management. They'll have to pay Jimmy G for the long haul, and then try to lock up several of those young defenders they took so high for the long term in the next few years. Carlos Hyde will need to be addressed soon as well.

That's a tall order in today's NFL.

Psycho_X

Legend
They've got the QB figured out so yes. Whether they are a threat to us will depend on how well John Lynch drafts over the next few years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Garrapollo is a FA after this season..........Lynch is unproven as a GM and hasn't looked all that great..........Shanahan falls into the same category, unproven and hasn't looked all that good.

4 wins against the Bears, Giants, Titans and Texans and now they are a threat to the Rams?

Please those 4 teams can lose to anyone on any Sunday. Those are FAR from quality wins and were close games.

The 49ers are below average and look to stay that way for awhile.

The NFCW may be a cakewalk for the Rams in the coming years.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was surprised that the Patriots traded Garoppolo.

New England is going to find that it is going to be harder to replace Brady than they think.

fearsomefour

Legend
The silver lining will be cap management. They'll have to pay Jimmy G for the long haul, and then try to lock up several of those young defenders they took so high for the long term in the next few years. Carlos Hyde will need to be addressed soon as well.

That sounds just like us.

fearsomefour

Legend
Garrapollo is a FA after this season..........Lynch is unproven as a GM and hasn't looked all that great..........Shanahan falls into the same category, unproven and hasn't looked all that good.

4 wins against the Bears, Giants, Titans and Texans and now they are a threat to the Rams?

Please those 4 teams can lose to anyone on any Sunday. Those are FAR from quality wins and were close games.

The 49ers are below average and look to stay that way for awhile.

The NFCW may be a cakewalk for the Rams in the coming years.
Garoppolo will be resigned Im sure.
He is good with room to improve. Dude can sling it. They have secured the most difficult position in sports to fill at a high level. I find that disgusting.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
do you think when they do finally get good they'll be as many Tomsula appreciation threads as I've seen for Jeff Fisher this week?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was surprised that the Patriots traded Garoppolo.

New England is going to find that it is going to be harder to replace Brady than they think.
I agree. It would have been well worth it to figure out a way to franchise Garoppolo next year. One day Brady just wont have it anymore, it happens. It happened to Manning and Favre, one day great, the next not so much

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think there's going to come a time when the 49ers are going to challenge the Rams for the division. But I doubt next year will be that time. I think Shanahan's a good coach with a very good offensive mind. But they need weapons and defense. Might take them a longer than it did the Rams. The Rams already had talent in place. They just needed a good coach to put it all together. The 49ers basically started from scratch.

nighttrain

Legend

As we Ram fans know all to well
train

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
They have their QB and also have a very good WR in Marquis Goodwin (odd how all of these former Bills WR's are flourishing). I expect SF and LA to be the #1 and #2 teams in this division for the next five years.