Anybody wanna kick around some thoughts for next offseason moves?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Saffold signed a five year deal in 2014, he's ours through 2019.

But he rebounded quickly. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Saffold agreed to return to the St. Louis Rams on a new five-year contract worth $31.7 million, with $19.5 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...r-saffold-fails-raiders-physical-rejoins-rams
I realize that Saffold is a UFA in March of 2019 not 2018. I would not wait ...in getting Saffold locked up this off season. Fact is our LT Andrew Whitworth might not be here as long as most seem to think. I see a very tired Whitworth on the field. I also recall the news on Andrew Whitworth back two 1/2 yrs ago:

https://forum.go-bengals.com/index....-intentions-are-to-retire-in-bengals-stripes/

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...s-intentions-are-to-retire-in-bengals-stripes

Saffold is the only OL'er capable of taking up the LT post if there was a need. Better secure him long term ASAP. I do not believe that Whitworth will be here as long as most.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'd re-sign Watkins at 5 years & $50.mil. with $30.mil guaranteed ... and be done with it.

Extend Brockers, Saffold & Quinn and cut 2018 CAP.
Extend Donald to 6 years at $120.mil... with $70.mil guaranteed. $7.mil is already on the books for Donald in 2018 due to his 5'th year option, so at worst his CAP hit next year doubles.
Cut Barron & Austin to save an additional $10.mil off the CAP which is already approaching something above $50.mil in available CAP.

2018 estimated available CAP =
$50.mil +
$10.mil savings by cutting Barron/Austin =
$60.mil + approx. $10.mil 2018 CAP savings from extending Quinn/Saffold/Brockers =
$70.mil -
$7.mil. 2018 additional charge for extending Donald =
$63.mil. -
$7.mil 2018 charge for Watkins new contract =
$56.mil. -
$16.mil. 2018 charge for Joyner/Sullivan/Robey-Coleman new contracts =
$40.mil. -
$5.mil. charge for re-signing Easley (if healthy), Cody Davis & Jake McQuaide
$35.mil. -
$4.mil. charge for returning RFA's (D.Williams, Longacre, Malcolm Brown, Isaiah Johnson, Troy Hill =

$31.mil. approx. remaining 2018 available CAP -
$6.mil. to sign draft class =
$25.mil. -
$20.mil. charges for new free agency signings or apply to Havenstein & Brown extensions =

$5.mil. emergency find or rollover to 2019.

jmo.

I generally agree that this is the offseason to set the table so to speak. Players have good feelings about the organization/ team, so a great time to get players locked up.

I also agree to let Trumaine Johnson walk and replace with a high pick that has a chance to be a #1 and add a few mid level guys in FA for depth that fit the press scheme.

And I would like to see them generally hit the defensive side of the ball hard in the draft... has been kind of ignored in the last 3 drafts outside of John Johnson and Ebekuban.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I realize that Saffold is a UFA in March of 2019 not 2018. I would not wait ...in getting Saffold locked up this off season. Fact is our LT Andrew Whitworth might not be here as long as most seem to think. I see a very tired Whitworth on the field. I also recall the news on Andrew Whitworth back two 1/2 yrs ago:

https://forum.go-bengals.com/index....-intentions-are-to-retire-in-bengals-stripes/

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...s-intentions-are-to-retire-in-bengals-stripes

Saffold is the only OL'er capable of taking up the LT post if there was a need. Better secure him long term ASAP. I do not believe that Whitworth will be here as long as most.

If we can put off finding our Whitworth replacement until the 2019 Draft, it would make Rams life a lot easier. If Darrell Williams or another reserve could substitute and relieve Whitworth for just two games next season on top of the BYE week, it might be enough to get us over the hump. Play him against our weakest rivals and hope for the best in getting Whit his needed down time. Make our depth work for us. jmo.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Let me just say that any plan that doesn't include replacing Trumaine Johnson (if not re-signed) with another veteran CB (via free agency or trade) is a very bad plan.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let me just say that any plan that doesn't include replacing Trumaine Johnson (if not re-signed) with another veteran CB (via free agency or trade) is a very bad plan.

I'm still scratching my head about not doing this last year when A.J. Bouye was available. His 2017 CAP hit was $5.5mil, but we chose to pay TruJo $16.7mil.
As it is, the best fit for Wade in 2018 may be the sliding Malcolm Butler or the likely more expensive Prince Amukamara.
There are some good CB's coming in the draft, just hard to say who is still available towards the end of the 1'st round. jmo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
For me finding a future LT is a must as I wonder how much more Whit has to give. Let our future LT be groomed but Kromer & Whit. along w/ one full off season in the gym along w/ coaching.

Revamping the corners is a must. I'm talking no fly zone part two!!! Tru either resigns or get an equal replacement then upgrade boundary CB behind Webster. Joyner & NRC are a must resigns, just can't have a revolving door in the secondary.
A starting NT should be done in the FA period imho plus another for depth would be groove as well. .

Plus we will be really focused on resigning our studs, thus why I'm dubious if we can add a starter to our LB core. Rather focus on CBs and DTs this off season. Get a good rotation on the DL so their fresh late in the 4th Q when game is on the line!!!
Furthermore finding some mid level DL should "appear" to be easier since we are a winning team now. Plus playing for Son of Bum helps too!!! Hell maybe Chris Long comes back (n)(y)

Build depth across the board at LB some may say, I'm not sure if we can do it after my wish list above. I just feel this will be the least pressing need this off season, unless they surprise us and make a bold move there.
Besides our youth is just starting to show up, so maybe we are better then we may think at LB. Draft another on day 3 again.

This off season will be interesting. Just wonder how Donald's contract will look like, will it all about him or does he figure a way to meet the team 1/2 way with a ton of $ "guaranteed(yearly roster bonus cash to off set his cap hit yearly thus lowering his cap # to help the team? If their was ever a player that i felt comfortable giving tons of mad cheddar to up front Donald is that type of person. So load up the brinks truck and pay the man. Trading him isn't an option EVER!

TexasRam

Legend
My Offseason moves by priority:

50m cap space

Cut and save - Quinn(11.4) Barron(7)and Tavon(3)

Let walk - Watkins (We have depth)

New 2018 cap space 71m

1 Donald 6 yr 120m(20)
2 Sullivan 3yr 24m(8)
3 Trumaine 5yr 60m(12)
4 NRC 5yr 50m(10)
5 Joyner 5yr 50m(10)

11m cap space leftover. 6m needed for draft. Recoup 6m from Donald’s 6m 2018 allotment Some of the above contracts can be backloaded to re-sign Barwin or bring in OT depth from Free agency.

Draft - LT depth, ILB and DT.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

50m cap space

New 2018 cap space 71m

1 Donald 6 yr 120m(20)
2 Sullivan 3yr 24m(8)
3 Trumaine 5yr 60m(12)
4 NRC 5yr 50m(10)
5 Joyner 5yr 50m(10)

11m cap space leftover. 6m needed for draft. Recoup 6m from Donald’s 6m 2018 allotment Some of the above contracts can be backloaded to re-sign Barwin or bring in OT depth from Free agency.

Draft - Draft LT depth, ILB and DT.

I think I'm mostly ok w/ this plan, though I think your paying to much to Sully & NRC. I feel we can get them for cheaper. Also I wonder if Bythe (sp?) will be ready to start?
Who replacing Quinn? Wonder if he's willing to restructure his deal as I would push hard for this!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
It will be interesting on how the team feels is the pressure points contract wise on their off season plan

TexasRam

Legend
I think I'm mostly ok w/ this plan, though I think your paying to much to Sully & NRC. I feel we can get them for cheaper. Also I wonder if Bythe (sp?) will be ready to start?
Who replacing Quinn? Wonder if he's willing to restructure his deal as I would push hard for this!

I feel like those two are critical resigns and worth the value. NRC doubles as your backup outside CB and Sullivan has earned a nice contract with solid play. If they want to take less that’s fine too, but I would pay up to this amount.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
For me finding a future LT is a must as I wonder how much more Whit has to give. Let our future LT be groomed but Kromer & Whit. along w/ one full off season in the gym along w/ coaching.

Revamping the corners is a must. I'm talking no fly zone part two!!! Tru either resigns or get an equal replacement then upgrade boundary CB behind Webster. Joyner & NRC are a must resigns, just can't have a revolving door in the secondary.
A starting NT should be done in the FA period imho plus another for depth would be groove as well. .

Plus we will be really focused on resigning our studs, thus why I'm dubious if we can add a starter to our LB core. Rather focus on CBs and DTs this off season. Get a good rotation on the DL so their fresh late in the 4th Q when game is on the line!!!
Furthermore finding some mid level DL should "appear" to be easier since we are a winning team now. Plus playing for Son of Bum helps too!!! Hell maybe Chris Long comes back (n)(y)

Build depth across the board at LB some may say, I'm not sure if we can do it after my wish list above. I just feel this will be the least pressing need this off season, unless they surprise us and make a bold move there.
Besides our youth is just starting to show up, so maybe we are better then we may think at LB. Draft another on day 3 again.

This off season will be interesting. Just wonder how Donald's contract will look like, will it all about him or does he figure a way to meet the team 1/2 way with a ton of $ "guaranteed(yearly roster bonus cash to off set his cap hit yearly thus lowering his cap # to help the team? If their was ever a player that i felt comfortable giving tons of mad cheddar to up front Donald is that type of person. So load up the brinks truck and pay the man. Trading him isn't an option EVER!

The thing with drafting a LT now is where do you put him prior to taking over Whitworth's spot ? If he's a middle to low draft pick there is no guarantee he can ever step into Whit's shoes, although there would potentially be room for a reserve. If he's a 1'st round pick, he needs to get onto the field quickly, and we have no place available along the OL for him to start in 2018, much less at LT.

With TruJo out the door, i'm thinking this is where our 1'st round draft pick is spent. My twist would be to bring back E.J.Gaines as a free agent, even if he has fallen into an injury habit as Saffold once had. If he passes the physical, he should still remain a bargain on a short term contract, and he offers good competition for Webster and the draft pick.

Chris Long is signed thru 2021 with Philadelphia, so he won't be returning unless he's cut. As for our DL, if Easley checks out & passes his physical, he's another bargain priced DE who should work well as Brockers rotation guy. The Rams have been bouncing along without a true Wade Phillips NT for much of the season, so unless Wade decides to bring Brockers back inside, it may be easier to find a decent run blocking NT who fits the scheme somewhere in the middle of the draft and leave Brockers where he's been. A quality new NT could rotate with one of our current players who are more adept with pass rushing.

If Barron becomes a CAP Casualty as some are predicting, Phillips may be inclined to bring in his Denver & now free agent run blocking ILB Todd Davis who could rotate with Littleton. A rotational run blocking NT along with a run blocking ILB should keep us from getting gashed so much. If Ebukam can permanently replace Barwin as a starter, we may seek another middle round OLB in the draft, although McVay/Phillips have brought in a couple interesting prospects in just the last couple weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what Garrett Sickels brings to the table against the 49'ers as a reserve. If Barwin is cut, i'm hoping they'll at least find a coaching internship for him with our team. jmo.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I really like the thought process of how you solved out run def, w/ ILB Todd Davis and a mid level true NT to add to our rotation. Ya I too hope for Easley return but it doesn't sound promising imho.
Isn't Hill better than EJ Gaines currently?

Joyner is going to fetch top dollar on the open market by all accounts:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I really like the thought process of how you solved out run def, w/ ILB Todd Davis and a mid level true NT to add to our rotation. Ya I too hope for Easley return but it doesn't sound promising imho.
Isn't Hill better than EJ Gaines currently?

Joyner is going to fetch top dollar on the open market by all accounts:

It may be that we can't match an offer for Joyner, and that isn't a pleasant thought for a team with so many good players seeking top dollar. He and JJ are both highly ranked by PFF. The good news is that Marqui Christian would be ranked at 46 overall out of 119 safeties if he had enough snaps to be ranked. He and Cody Davis may not be the answer, so don't be surprised with a draft pick at FS. I guess we may find out soon enough if McVay/Los Angeles can get us a hometown discount or if it's all about 'show me the money'.

EJ Gaines has a ranking listed at #29 for all CB's, where Hill comes in at # 70 if he actually had enough snaps for a rating. Still, Hill has shown remarkable improvement and hopefully more snaps means improved production. I'll take all the CB's into camp we can get our hands on, and if Gaines checks out medically, his price shouldn't really be out of line based on his history.

Have you heard of a recent setback to Easley's rehab ?

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Re: Easley I don't recall exactly. But it was reported that the number of injuries to his knees has a lot of career possibly ending here..
I won't be shocked if we traded back a few spots into top of Rd 2 while adding a 3rd in return. And get a CB then FS

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

50m cap space

New 2018 cap space 71m

1 Donald 6 yr 120m(20)
2 Sullivan 3yr 24m(8)
3 Trumaine 5yr 60m(12)
4 NRC 5yr 50m(10)
5 Joyner 5yr 50m(10)

Draft - LT depth, ILB and DT.

Keep in mind that while the Rams typically front load long term contracts, the first year of said contract is usually far less money applied to the CAP than years two, three & four. The signing bonus will be divided by the years of the contract, but the salary per year can fluctuate quite a bit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If we can put off finding our Whitworth replacement until the 2019 Draft, it would make Rams life a lot easier. If Darrell Williams or another reserve could substitute and relieve Whitworth for just two games next season on top of the BYE week, it might be enough to get us over the hump. Play him against our weakest rivals and hope for the best in getting Whit his needed down time. Make our depth work for us. jmo.

Ref Darrell Williams will most likely start this Sunday we should get a good long look at what he can do @ LT in place of the worn down Andrew Whitworth. Should be an interesting Chat Room this Sunday Afternoon. I do know that in DW's cameo appearances in regular season games.....its been Ugly.:sick:I suspect that when we get back in here after wk#17 concludes we will not be speaking so kind towards DW future @ LT.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Ref Darrell Williams will most likely start this Sunday we should get a good long look at what he can do @ LT in place of the worn down Andrew Whitworth. Should be an interesting Chat Room this Sunday Afternoon. I do know that in DW's cameo appearances in regular season games.....its been Ugly.:sick:I suspect that when we get back in here after wk#17 concludes we will not be speaking so kind towards DW future @ LT.

It has been a kind of strange luck which has kept us from dipping deep into reserve players on our OLine this season ... the team not keeping fans abreast with the Donnal situation, Williams' on-going health status and not a single snap for Lucas, now adding another unknown quantity in Neary. Blythe is the only back-up with a fairly clean assessment. I suspect it may be quite a few 'replacement' players we'll be talking about following this up-coming game. I like that we'll be able to check out some of our depth 'talent', although I hate the idea of sacrificing a game to 49'er scum for the pleasure of it. jmo.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
1. Sign AD

2.sign Joyner and NRC

3. Tag Watkins

4. Trade or cut tavon and Quinn, saves alot of money

5. Try to resign Tru but we need a discount if not he gotta go , draft corner early .

6. Resign barwin , he has played surprisingly well and brings leadership.

First time in a decade that I am not on the nfl draft website every day . We need to draft CB , OT, and DT.

James Otto

Starter
What I find interesting is, similar to what Adi just wrote, is that for the first time in forever, the Rams literally need to sign ZERO free agents that aren't already on the roster. We are so young and there is so much talent on this roster, I believe we can simply work on resigning the pieces that are critical, that are already here, and fill the gaps with draft picks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
1. Sign AD

2.sign Joyner and NRC

3. Tag Watkins

4. Trade or cut tavon and Quinn, saves alot of money

5. Try to resign Tru but we need a discount if not he gotta go , draft corner early .

6. Resign barwin , he has played surprisingly well and brings leadership.

First time in a decade that I am not on the nfl draft website every day . We need to draft CB , OT, and DT.

Also need a physical presence at ILB whether by FA or draft.... LBs typically can be had cheap in FA.