Anybody wanna kick around some thoughts for next offseason moves?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
While we’re waiting for next Sunday, that is?

We’re 11 games into this season, time enough to start seeing some offseason needs and priorities emerging, I think.

So, here goes...

Sign Watkins under 2 conditions. He has a stellar remaining 5 games plus the playoffs, AND if he is willing to sign in the $8-10 million range. If either condition is not met, let him walk. WR is not a cupboard bare position group, anyway. I’m loving Reynolds, for example.

AD’s contract has been discussed to death. Unless he’s willing to sign for 5 or more years at $18-20 million per, we just keep him for 3 more years via the 5th year option plus two tags. End of story.

I think that NT need not require a premium draft pick to be “fixed”. Later pick or FA should do. I trust Wade on this.

Quinn is a goner, Barwin is probably a goner. I see a premium draft pick as a rush OLB. If a stud is sitting there at our pick in the 1st, I think that’s probably the move. Ebu might convince that he is starter quality on one side for the ‘18 season. If not, a second OLB must be acquired. Could be Barwin or could be some other FA. Might be a middle round pick. Again, I trust Wade on this.

I can’t quite decide on Tree as a MLB or OLB, tbh. I can see both sides of it. Wade’s gotta make that call, too. Lol.

I would stick with our current TE corps. I think that they are gonna be just fine. Save our picks and/or cap dollars for other needs. Higbee is steadily improving and Everett seems like he might be on the verge.

I would extend TruJo IF he will sign for $12 million or less. He’s young, healthy, experienced, good teammate, knows Wade’s system, just an all around known quantity. But I do think $12 million is a line in the sand. If he still wants more, let him walk. If he walks, we must either find another expensive FA or spend our 1st on a CB to replace him. Since I’m not the biggest Webster fan on this board, you can see why I’m hoping to extend TruJo. One less BIG hole to fill if they’re successful.

Finding a LOT to eventually replace Whit is on the “to do” list. But not necessarily on the early draft pick in ‘18 list. Whit looks like he’s gonna be good for another 2-3 years from my vantage point. So, if a LOT that they (Kromer) like falls to the 3rd, I’m certainly fine with the pick. But if they prefer to fill other needs and wait until’19 to get their LOT, then I’m fine with that, too. I kinda prefer filling present time perceived needs first. And there will be no shortage of ‘18 needs, I think.

In short, if they can hit on a handful of FA moves on D plus a very few draft picks on D positions, Wade can have his elite D in ‘18. Very doable, IMO.

The O could be set if they can extend Watkins reasonably. Heck, it might already be set if Reynolds comes on in these last 5 games plus the playoffs. Lol.

We are light years ahead of where we were at this time last year in terms of fundamental needs.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
With the first pick the Rams should draft BPA regardless of position. If not for that mindset Gurley and Donald would not be in horns.

I think the Rams are going to have to address the secondary and it may end up being the top priority this coming offseason. Joyner, Johnson, Colman, and Davis are all FA's in 2018 and I doubt they will be able to resign all four.

With all of the cap room the Rams have I am not necessarily on board with cutting Quinn. He has played better as of late and if he continues to do well, the Rams might give him another year. If the Rams were tighter against the cap then Quinn may be at more of risk of getting axed.

I think the Rams part ways with Austin independent of what happens with Watkins. If Watkins walks in FA do not be surprised if the Rams take another WR high in the draft if a really good one falls to them despite their quality depth there now.

Dunbar will not return at RB and the Rams should draft a speedy third down back in the mid to late rounds, especially if they also cut Austin.

Never too early to start looking at Whitworth's replacement. They will should add some depth to the O-line in the offseason regardless.

A space eating nose tackle would be nice to help the run defense but I am not sure if the Rams go there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sign Watkins under 2 conditions. He has a stellar remaining 5 games plus the playoffs, AND if he is willing to sign in the $8-10 million range. If either condition is not met, let him walk. WR is not a cupboard bare position group, anyway. I’m loving Reynolds, for example.

I'm fine with those conditions for Watkins. Don't think it's going to happen, but if we lock him up for the $8-10M range I'm a happy fan.

Other than that our DEFENSE needs a lot of work:

ROLB is an enormous need. Even if Quinn comes on down the stretch he's a year older and we need pressures from the blindside.

CB is probably the biggest need. Gonna lose Trumaine, maybe NRC as well (although I have hope they sign him). Having Joyner to cover the nickel is big, but they need at least one top young CB prospect to replenish this secondary. I'd actually feel better with two, btw.

NT is another big need. This doesn't have to be filled necessarily in the draft, as those guys tend to be undervalued a bit, but they need to find someone who can fill the role consistently.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finding a LOT to eventually replace Whit is on the “to do” list. But not necessarily on the early draft pick in ‘18 list. Whit looks like he’s gonna be good for another 2-3 years from my vantage point. So, if a LOT that they (Kromer) like falls to the 3rd, I’m certainly fine with the pick. But if they prefer to fill other needs and wait until’19 to get their LOT, then I’m fine with that, too. I kinda prefer filling present time perceived needs first. And there will be no shortage of ‘18 needs, I think.

Late round 1 is where we'll be picking, from probably what, 25th or so on I hope. So that pretty much removes LT from the list. Also from there we don't have our late round 2 pick, so our next pick is round 3. Our chances of seeing that position slide to us is probably very low.

What does tend to look good late round 1 is CB. Hybrid CB/S guys too. Edge rusher OLBs. Impact ILBs (no longer a huge need but still). Interior OL & WRs on the offensive side, but again I hope they prioritize defense.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
If there was any way he fell to us I would take Roquan Smith from Georgia. I know I am naturally a Georgia homer but the dude is the truth. I watched Ogletree and Roquan play MLB all through college and Roquan is significantly better. He is 1 of 5 finalists for the Butkus award, 1 of 5 finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, and 1 of 3 finalists for the Bednarik Award. I'd argue he is the best linebacker in CFB.

Smith looks like he is faster than Tree and has significantly more strength and block-shedding power. The guy is as clutch as it comes when tackling people. He has missed ONE tackle all year and that came against a passing play against Auburn. He plays in a 3-4 as well. If the Rams somehow got him he is an immediate starter at MLB and could move Ogletree or Barron to OLB. Wade seems to like sending Tree on blitzes so maybe OLB is a better fit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If there was any way he fell to us I would take Roquan Smith from Georgia.

I like him too. Every season there's a guy I really covet that we never take, last year it was Budda Baker (wanted him round 2). Haven't been as focused as usual on college game due to how well the Rams have played, but he might end up being that guy for me depending on how the CBs shake out.

fearsomefour

Legend
Drafting a LT in the third round.
A CB in the first round.
Investing on D (both resigning and bringing in guys) in FA.
A few other key depth positions.
Rams need to approach this offseason like a team poised to win a title.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think we'll cut some people, then add some people. Probably draft a couple people as well. Dont quote me on this though.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The Rams have to start thinking ahead about how to fill the LT position when Whitworth is done. It would really be a bummer to have this teams rise derailed 2 years from now because they are back in LT hell.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Personally I think the Rams should stay in Los Angles at least until the stadium is built before they move again.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Freaking hell. How about just enjoying the season. Let snead worry about off-season moves.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Personally I think the Rams should stay in Los Angles at least until the stadium is built before they move again.
a25.gif

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The priority has to be our secondary. In my mind, we will definitely bring back Joyner and NRC but I doubt we are able to retain Tru. We either need to take a top CB prospect in the 1st round or sign a quality FA like Malcolm Butler. Maybe even bring EJ Gaines back.

We may not have the draft capital to invest in a starting caliber LT this offseason so we may need to keep our fingers crossed on Whitworth for one more year.

Watkins has to sign reasonable to stay. I would be fine rolling with Woods, Kupp, and the lowest taker out of Watkins, Terrelle Pryor, Alshon Jeffrey, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, and maybe even Davante Adams.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wouldn't be surprised if players give a bit of a discount to stay here now. This team has the beginnings of a dynasty.

I would resign Watkins, Johnson, Joyner, and Donald.

I would cut Austin and try to trade Quinn and Barron.

Look to the draft or free agency for a MLB (preferably one who excels against the run), OLB opposite Samson (who I think is going to be a stud), NT, future LT. Then I would enjoy the Rams third superbowl win.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
We are old at OLB and awfully light at ILB.

Besides Donald and Brockers we have nothing special along the DL.

OL, like everyone else's, could always use quailty depth.

Last year's solid draft picks, shrewd FA moves, and trade decisions provide much optimism going into next year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This team will have a lot of holes to fill but some of them will be filled in FA. In order of most likely importance though:

OLB
CB
NT
LT
Center

I suspect OLB, CB and NT will be addressed somehow in FA and LT and Center in the draft.

TexasRam

Legend
I’m not locking in on which rounds I’m taking positions because it depends on quality of what’s available.

But current roster I don’t want to talk too much about because I am rooting for every one of them right now.

There are some obvious cuts but I will say I prioritize signing:

Tru, DRC, Joyner and Sullivan.

Prioritizing CB and LT in the draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd find a way to re-sign Joyner, NRC, Jake McQuaide, and extend Donald. We have the cap to do that.

Tru, Saffold, Quinn, Barwin, Sullivan, Derek Carrier, Tyrunn Walker, Ethan Westbrooks, Cody Davis, Cornelius Lucas, Troy Hill, and Lance Dunbar are gone in this scenario; Saffold, Quinn, and Hill are cut, while the others go into free agency.

Watkins depends on how much he's willing to re-sign for. If he goes, no huge loss; we just replace him with Reynolds or Thomas. Pharoh can take Austin's place as the decoy/jet sweep guy.

We sign Weston Richburg from the Giants and Malcolm Butler from the Cheatriots. Richburg is a great center who has struggled with injuries this year. Butler is a top cornerback who is disgruntled by New England.

I promote Sam Rogers, Omarius Bryant, Johnny Mundt, Jake Eldrenkamp, and Paul McRoberts from the practice squad. I think that Rogers is going to be a solid fullback with time in the weight room. Bryant was solid as a nose tackle, and it also allows Tanzel Smart to move from nose tackle to defensive end behind Donald. Mundt showed a lot in preseason, and he fits as the fourth tight end behind Everett, Higbee, and Hemingway. Eldrenkamp is someone I liked a lot, and he could be solid depth at center and guard. McRoberts should be a solid receiver if given the chance. As it is, he could fit on special teams duty.

Tavon is traded to the Ravens for a second round pick in this scenario. Mannion is dealt to the Dolphins for a fourth.

With the first round pick, I take nose tackle Da'Ron Payne from Alabama. I realize that he's a nose tackle, but he's so freakishly athletic (6'2", 319 lbs.) that I have no choice but to select him. Imagine him, Donald, and Brockers. Just imagine how much our run defense will improve.

Second round pick is a bit of a wild card. Left tackle Mike McGlinchey has fallen into the second round, and I'd scoop him up in a heartbeat if he fell to us. Not only do you have a replacement for Saffold, but you have your successor to Whitworth in a similar mold (6'7", 310 lbs.).

Third round pick is cornerback Ken Webster out of Ole Miss. He's being looked at as a safety. I think he fits as an outside cornerback (5'11", 194 lbs.). He does have a shoplifting arrest, but Hatfield and Hill had worse character issues, and we still took them in.

First fourth round pick (from the Dolphins) is guard Beau Benzschawel out of Wisconsin. Our future left guard and a mauler (6'6", 321 lbs.)

Our other fourth round pick is inside linebacker Josey Jewell out of Iowa. He's a future inside/outside linebacker (6'2", 230 lbs.) who provides much needed depth.

Fifth round pick is outside linebacker Sione Teuhema out of Southeast Louisiana. He's a solid outside linebacker (6'4", 245 lbs.) who should fit well in our system.

First sixth round pick is cornerback Derrick Baity out of Kentucky. He's a tall cornerback (6'3", 186 lbs.) very much in the mold of Tru.

Second sixth round pick is cornerback Nik Needham out of UTEP. Solid cornerback (6'0", 190) who falls only because it's a deep class.

Third sixth round pick is running back Myles Gaskin out of Washington. He's a running back built in the mold of Dunbar and Chris Thompson. He falls because of his size (5'10, 193 lbs.), but he's cat-quick, versatile and fun to watch.

I don't know if we have a seventh round pick, so I'm leaving this off for now.

So the depth chart would be:

QB: Jared Goff, Brandon Allen.

RB/FB: Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, Justin Davis, Myles Gaskin, Sam Rogers.

TE: Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Temarrick Hemingway, Johnny Mundt.

WR: Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas, Paul McRoberts.

OL: Andrew Whitworth, Mike McGlinchey, Weston Richburg, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Beau Benzschawel, Darrell Williams, Jake Eldrenkamp, Austin Blythe.

DL: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Da'Ron Payne, Tanzel Smart, Morgan Fox, Omarius Bryant.

OLB; Samson Ebukam, Ejuan Price, Matt Longacre, Sione Teuhema.

ILB: Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron, Josey Jewell, Cory Littleton.

CB: Malcolm Butler, Kayvon Webster, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Ken Webster, Derrick Baity, Nik Needham.

S: Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson III, Marqui Christian, Blake Countess.

K: Greg Zuerlein.

P: Johnny Hekker.

LS: Jake McQuaide.

Thoughts are much appreciated!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
No way that the Rams are going to cut Saffold, who is their highest rated offensive lineman.

nighttrain

Legend
sorry, but getting a 2nd of Tavon is dreamin, maybe for Mannion, but i'd rather keep him. But most of all, i'm gonna let McVay do the judging and see where it takes the Rams
train