Anybody wanna kick around some thoughts for next offseason moves?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure, I am always looking forward & into the future with my thoughts on the Rams.

#1- Keeping Goff Unmolested is my top concern. That requires that the OL be given priority in retaining top talent as possible. Rams have 3 OL'ers involved in FA'cy, starting OC John Sullivan & OT's Darrell Willimas & Cornelius Lucas. UFA Sullivan is a high priority & will demand a larger salary. Williams is a RFA & will most likely get a 2 yr contract close to Westbrooks did. I would look to sign UFA Spencer Long away from the Redskins too just in case Sullivan bolts. Long can also start @ both OG posts too. It should also be noted that 3 of Goff's OL starters will be UFA's in 2019 & salary $$$ must be set aside to sign all 3 if possible. Drafting a LT is also a high need.

#2- The defensive secondary would fall into the next unit of concern. FA'cy will impact this unit more than any other with 6 involved. Retaining Safety Joyner & Nickle NR-C would be the top 2 to sign. Snead has a good drafting track record in scouting DB's. Rams should utilize the draft to find a starting outside corner to replace Trumaine Johnson plus a safety to replace 3rd safety UFA Cody Davis. Snead should resign RFA Troy Hill & ERFA Kevin Peterson for CB depth.

#3- Edge Rusher/OLB'er posts have issues where Conner Barwin & Matt Longacre are involved FA'cy. Add in keeping Rob Quinn @ his ultra high salary cost would be a UN sound management decision. Longacre is a RFA & can be retained easy. Barwin resigning is doubtful due to cost but would try anyway. Rams will most likely have to go with Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Ejuan Price & utilize the 2018 draftee & resign the 2 edge rushers on the PS.

I would suggest that RB Tavon Austin be traded for what ever we can get for him or released to save 3 million. I would not invest in a long term high cost contract with WR Sammy Watkins when the Rams have 8 of their receivers under contract in 2018 (Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, Everett, Higbee & Hemingway). A very good amount of pass catching talent. Other FA's to strongly consider resigning are NT Tyrunn Walker, RB Malcolm Brown & LS Jake McQuaide.

Our 1st round selection should be utilized to secure the best pick available of the these 3 positions CB/ LT/ Edge Rusher

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I will be interested to learn what free agent CBs and LBers will be available in free agency.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2018/

According to spotrac, the Rams will have over $43 million in salary cap room in 2018. That's 11th most in the NFL.

We use some of that to sign Donald long term, and maybe Watkins. There should still be plenty of cap room to re-sign other Rams with expiring contracts and sign the draft class.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will be interested to learn what free agent CBs and LBers will be available in free agency.
To be honest other than the four Rams CB's on this list none of these hold any interest to me. I would suggest sign our Rams as best we can then utilize the draft to fill the positions we fail in @ corner.

I would prefer to utilize the 48 million Salary Cap funds we have on resigning most of all our current Rams as possible. With CB/Safety/OL positions having priority. I like the ideal of using our 2018 cap funds in getting extension contracts resigning 2019 UFA's OL'ers like Rodger Saffold/Jamon Brown & Rob Havenstein plus considering a 2 yr extension on CB Kayvon Webster locking him up until 2020 if he can remain healthy the rest of the season.

Need to be smart here & not go waste 2018 cap funds & future yrs of cap funds on trash & then not have the funds to keep the above named starters along with Donald, Gurley in the future.

Here's the CB's

Trumaine Johnson CB Rams
Johnathan Joseph CB Texans
Prince Amukamara CB Bears
Brent Grimes CB Buccaneers
Morris Claiborne CB Jets
Malcolm Butler CB Patriots
D.J. Hayden CB Lions
Terence Newman CB Vikings
Davon House CB Packers
Marcus Williams CB Texans
Kyle Fuller CB Bears
Johnson Bademosi CB Patriots
Brice McCain CB Titans
Marcus Sherels CB Vikings
Tramon Williams CB Cardinals
Justin Bethel CB Cardinals
Sherrick McManis CB Bears
DeShawn Shead CB Seahawks
Ross Cockrell CB Giants
Shareece Wright CB Bills
Alterraun Verner CB Dolphins
Tramaine Brock CB Vikings
Teddy Williams CB Panthers
Leonard Johnson CB Bills
Nickell Robey-Coleman CB Rams
Pierre Desir CB Colts
Brandon Boykin CB Ravens
Asa Jackson CB 49ers
Patrick Robinson CB Eagles
Byron Maxwell CB Seahawks
Sterling Moore CB Saints
Robert McClain CB Buccaneers
Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB Falcons
Rashaan Melvin CB Colts
Phillip Gaines CB Chiefs
Bene Benwikere CB Cowboys
Bashaud Breeland CB Redskins
Aaron Colvin CB Jaguars
Walt Aikens CB Dolphins
Dontae Johnson CB 49ers
Brittan Golden CB Cardinals
Terrance Mitchell CB Chiefs
Nevin Lawson CB Lions
Troy Hill CB Rams

Kevin Person CB Rams

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd find a way to re-sign Joyner, NRC, Jake McQuaide, and extend Donald. We have the cap to do that.

Tru, Saffold, Quinn, Barwin, Sullivan, Derek Carrier, Tyrunn Walker, Ethan Westbrooks, Cody Davis, Cornelius Lucas, Troy Hill, and Lance Dunbar are gone in this scenario; Saffold, Quinn, and Hill are cut, while the others go into free agency.

Watkins depends on how much he's willing to re-sign for. If he goes, no huge loss; we just replace him with Reynolds or Thomas. Pharoh can take Austin's place as the decoy/jet sweep guy.

We sign Weston Richburg from the Giants and Malcolm Butler from the Cheatriots. Richburg is a great center who has struggled with injuries this year. Butler is a top cornerback who is disgruntled by New England.

I promote Sam Rogers, Omarius Bryant, Johnny Mundt, Jake Eldrenkamp, and Paul McRoberts from the practice squad. I think that Rogers is going to be a solid fullback with time in the weight room. Bryant was solid as a nose tackle, and it also allows Tanzel Smart to move from nose tackle to defensive end behind Donald. Mundt showed a lot in preseason, and he fits as the fourth tight end behind Everett, Higbee, and Hemingway. Eldrenkamp is someone I liked a lot, and he could be solid depth at center and guard. McRoberts should be a solid receiver if given the chance. As it is, he could fit on special teams duty.

Tavon is traded to the Ravens for a second round pick in this scenario. Mannion is dealt to the Dolphins for a fourth.

With the first round pick, I take nose tackle Da'Ron Payne from Alabama. I realize that he's a nose tackle, but he's so freakishly athletic (6'2", 319 lbs.) that I have no choice but to select him. Imagine him, Donald, and Brockers. Just imagine how much our run defense will improve.

Second round pick is a bit of a wild card. Left tackle Mike McGlinchey has fallen into the second round, and I'd scoop him up in a heartbeat if he fell to us. Not only do you have a replacement for Saffold, but you have your successor to Whitworth in a similar mold (6'7", 310 lbs.).

Third round pick is cornerback Ken Webster out of Ole Miss. He's being looked at as a safety. I think he fits as an outside cornerback (5'11", 194 lbs.). He does have a shoplifting arrest, but Hatfield and Hill had worse character issues, and we still took them in.

First fourth round pick (from the Dolphins) is guard Beau Benzschawel out of Wisconsin. Our future left guard and a mauler (6'6", 321 lbs.)

Our other fourth round pick is inside linebacker Josey Jewell out of Iowa. He's a future inside/outside linebacker (6'2", 230 lbs.) who provides much needed depth.

Fifth round pick is outside linebacker Sione Teuhema out of Southeast Louisiana. He's a solid outside linebacker (6'4", 245 lbs.) who should fit well in our system.

First sixth round pick is cornerback Derrick Baity out of Kentucky. He's a tall cornerback (6'3", 186 lbs.) very much in the mold of Tru.

Second sixth round pick is cornerback Nik Needham out of UTEP. Solid cornerback (6'0", 190) who falls only because it's a deep class.

Third sixth round pick is running back Myles Gaskin out of Washington. He's a running back built in the mold of Dunbar and Chris Thompson. He falls because of his size (5'10, 193 lbs.), but he's cat-quick, versatile and fun to watch.

I don't know if we have a seventh round pick, so I'm leaving this off for now.

So the depth chart would be:

QB: Jared Goff, Brandon Allen.

RB/FB: Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, Justin Davis, Myles Gaskin, Sam Rogers.

TE: Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Temarrick Hemingway, Johnny Mundt.

WR: Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas, Paul McRoberts.

OL: Andrew Whitworth, Mike McGlinchey, Weston Richburg, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Beau Benzschawel, Darrell Williams, Jake Eldrenkamp, Austin Blythe.

DL: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Da'Ron Payne, Tanzel Smart, Morgan Fox, Omarius Bryant.

OLB; Samson Ebukam, Ejuan Price, Matt Longacre, Sione Teuhema.

ILB: Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron, Josey Jewell, Cory Littleton.

CB: Malcolm Butler, Kayvon Webster, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Ken Webster, Derrick Baity, Nik Needham.

S: Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson III, Marqui Christian, Blake Countess.

K: Greg Zuerlein.

P: Johnny Hekker.

LS: Jake McQuaide.

Thoughts are much appreciated!

This is some excellent work. However... there are some issues I'd talk about.

Firstly, there's no way in hell that Da'Ron Payne makes it out of the top 10 and very likely will be a top 5 pick due to the lack of QBs worthy of a top pick. So, while Da'Ron Payne is at the very top of my draft board regardless of position, I just can't see a scenario in which we have a chance at him short of him having a pic smoking MJ through a gas mask (or if some team gives us a high 1st for Mannion, not saying that will happen, but that's what it would take, imho). I think we're much more likely to have a shot at Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa who's balling out right now. Also, I can't see Sione Teuhema making it out of the 4th round and may slip into the 3rd.

Secondly, there's no way we let all of those people go. We're going to resign a number of players. And EXCELLENT call on resigning McQuaide. He's special and NEEDS to be retained. I also can't see us getting rid of BOTH Quinn and Barwin. Unless we dump Quinn and then add another in FA, I just can't see Wade going with two young players. He tends to go one vet and one young player and that's fine. I like Ebukam a lot and maybe he simply ascends in Barwin's place. I just don't see us getting rid of both. Also, Quinn's run support as of late has been noticeably better. And this past game, we saw the resurgence of his inside move which really put pressure on Brees all day because the LT obviously thought Quinn would be all outside all day.

Thirdly, and this part is only my opinion, not only do I think we resign Tru, but we ADD Malcolm Butler from the Cheatriots as well as resigning NRC. Having a 4 man rotation of Tru, Butler, NRC and Webster would give us the depth to handle dime packages with confidence as well as hopefully manage an injury without too much drop off. I could see us not signing Butler if they feel they have an excellent chance at Josh Jackson. But we'll see. We also can't know if Tru will sign or test the market. Not sure I'm sold on Richburg as an answer. I think Sully will re-sign. If anything the issue is RG, not C. And yes, we need eventual replacements for both LT and C, but RG may get an immediate upgrade if someone special shakes out. Every year, someone surprising hits the open market. Don't be too surprised if some Pittsburgh players of quality shake loose as they need to dump salary in a big way.

Fourthly, a second for Tavon is too generous. Conversely, a fourth for Mannion isn't generous enough. Teams won't replicate the Osweiler Debacle (sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel) or the Mike Glennon incident, but no way Mannion leaves for anything LESS than a second. With this draft, I could see a team reviewing tape of his preseason and offering a first or a package. Again, there aren't enough starting quality QBs in the league at this moment. Also, I'm not so keen on not having a solid backup. QBs who play all 16 games are pretty rare these days. And it's not a given every year, so having a solid backup is really important for sustained success. So maybe you have it right, but in reverse order. Tavon's contract also will diminish any draft slotting.

Once we know who's declared for the draft and have a better feel for which underclassmen will declare, then we'll know more. There are always surprises there, too.

Again, excellent post. We'll have a lot more to discuss after we win the Super Bowl. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...... I also can't see us getting rid of BOTH Quinn and Barwin. Unless we dump Quinn and then add another in FA, I just can't see Wade going with two young players. He tends to go one vet and one young player and that's fine. I like Ebukam a lot and maybe he simply ascends in Barwin's place. I just don't see us getting rid of both. Also, Quinn's run support as of late has been noticeably better. And this past game, we saw the resurgence of his inside move which really put pressure on Brees all day because the LT obviously thought Quinn would be all outside all day.

Rams did invest/draft in 2 edge rusher/OSLB'ers in 2017. Samson Ebukam & Ejuan Price. Its also a done deal that Restricted free agent ER/OLB'er Matt Longacre will sign the standard two year, $3 million contract too. So that 3 ER's there. Longacre will be in his 4th season so he is well seasoned to take a early starting position if needed. His salary cap is very friendly. Rams badly need econo priced players like Longacre involved here.

I am of the belief that Wade has a good rising future starter already here in the name of Samson Ebukam. This early 3rd day draft selection missed most of the TC & 3 of the 4 pre season games due to a hamstring injury. Ebukam was way behind when the season began. Now into wk #12 he may get the start in place of the injured Barwin. Ebukam's on field performance is coming on here as of late. Just look @ Ebukam vs Quinn comparisons ....Quinn in the last 4 gms has 11 tackles 1 sack & 1 FF whereas Eubkam in a reserve non starting role has 8 tackles 2 sacks & a forced fumble. Quinn's salary cap hit is $12.4 mil & Ebukam's will be $700K:whistle:.

More on our signed ER/OSLB'ers...Cory Littleton who is currently ILB Barron back up, played both OLB'er posts & won the Rams top rookie award last season, Cory has started 2 gms thus far....In college Cory logged most of his time as a stand up edge rusher & his Sr. season started @ OLB'er. Cory a ST standout will be under contract in 2018 for a cap friendly 600K. Cory will be in his 3rd NFL season. If it was needed Cory is an easy addition to be in contention @ OSLB with Longacre, Ebukam & Price if needed.

Unless Quinn returns to his 2013 form the next 5 games,instead of what we have got from him his last 3 Rams seasons, Quinn's 12.4 mil cap hit will be erased ASAP. Thus its still possible that we will be able to offer another 1 yr (3.5 mil) contract to OLB Conner Barwin in 2018 if they fill there is still a need;). Finally I believe that the Rams will be smart once again & take advantage of the usual massive hoard of good edge rushing/tweener prospects that are usually present after the 2nd day of the draft has concluded.
I do believe Cody Davis will be back
train
If our starting safety LJ signs elsewhere I will bet that safety Cody Davis will be quickly hunted down & signed to his benefit. Cody signed a 2 yr contract back in 2016 it was for a total of 3 million, 1.5 a yr. Guess that Cody could be had for a like contract in length but about 2 million a yr slight increase. Cody was never a good fit with Gregg Williams defense but in this Wade's defense Cody fits in perfect.

Its my belief that Cody's 2017 season is not a done deal since he is on the IR since 11/3/2017. Wade is pining to have Cody back for the playoffs. Christian, Countess & Isaiah Johnson have not been able to fill Cody's role...fact is they are awful. Cody Davis is eligible to return after eight weeks with the Rams having the option to activate two players from IR this season. Cody Davis will be eligible to come back Week 17 against the 9ers & for the playoffs.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This is some excellent work. However... there are some issues I'd talk about.

Firstly, there's no way in hell that Da'Ron Payne makes it out of the top 10 and very likely will be a top 5 pick due to the lack of QBs worthy of a top pick. So, while Da'Ron Payne is at the very top of my draft board regardless of position, I just can't see a scenario in which we have a chance at him short of him having a pic smoking MJ through a gas mask (or if some team gives us a high 1st for Mannion, not saying that will happen, but that's what it would take, imho). I think we're much more likely to have a shot at Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa who's balling out right now. Also, I can't see Sione Teuhema making it out of the 4th round and may slip into the 3rd.

Secondly, there's no way we let all of those people go. We're going to resign a number of players. And EXCELLENT call on resigning McQuaide. He's special and NEEDS to be retained. I also can't see us getting rid of BOTH Quinn and Barwin. Unless we dump Quinn and then add another in FA, I just can't see Wade going with two young players. He tends to go one vet and one young player and that's fine. I like Ebukam a lot and maybe he simply ascends in Barwin's place. I just don't see us getting rid of both. Also, Quinn's run support as of late has been noticeably better. And this past game, we saw the resurgence of his inside move which really put pressure on Brees all day because the LT obviously thought Quinn would be all outside all day.

Thirdly, and this part is only my opinion, not only do I think we resign Tru, but we ADD Malcolm Butler from the Cheatriots as well as resigning NRC. Having a 4 man rotation of Tru, Butler, NRC and Webster would give us the depth to handle dime packages with confidence as well as hopefully manage an injury without too much drop off. I could see us not signing Butler if they feel they have an excellent chance at Josh Jackson. But we'll see. We also can't know if Tru will sign or test the market. Not sure I'm sold on Richburg as an answer. I think Sully will re-sign. If anything the issue is RG, not C. And yes, we need eventual replacements for both LT and C, but RG may get an immediate upgrade if someone special shakes out. Every year, someone surprising hits the open market. Don't be too surprised if some Pittsburgh players of quality shake loose as they need to dump salary in a big way.

Fourthly, a second for Tavon is too generous. Conversely, a fourth for Mannion isn't generous enough. Teams won't replicate the Osweiler Debacle (sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel) or the Mike Glennon incident, but no way Mannion leaves for anything LESS than a second. With this draft, I could see a team reviewing tape of his preseason and offering a first or a package. Again, there aren't enough starting quality QBs in the league at this moment. Also, I'm not so keen on not having a solid backup. QBs who play all 16 games are pretty rare these days. And it's not a given every year, so having a solid backup is really important for sustained success. So maybe you have it right, but in reverse order. Tavon's contract also will diminish any draft slotting.

Once we know who's declared for the draft and have a better feel for which underclassmen will declare, then we'll know more. There are always surprises there, too.

Again, excellent post. We'll have a lot more to discuss after we win the Super Bowl. (y)

I disagree when it comes to the quarterback class. It's one of the best I've seen since I scouted teams in 2006 (I was fifteen at the time, sue me. :p ). Josh Rosen (UCLA), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), and Sam Darnold (USC) are guaranteed top ten picks. Josh Allen (Wyoming) and Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State) are also names who will be in the first round. Hell, even Baker Mayfield's getting first round hype. There's a lot of teams who need quarterbacks, and quarterbacks tend to rise on draft day (see Ponder, Christian and Gabbert, Blaine.) There's also other names to consider: Derwin James (SS, Florida State), Saquon Barkley (RB, Penn State), Bradley Chubb (DE, NC State) Minkah Fitzpatrick (FS, Alabama), Courtland Sutton (WR, SMU), Orlando Brown (OT, Oklahoma), Roquan Smith (LB, Georgia), etc.

Currently, Da'Ron Payne is listed as a second round prospect by CBS, along with Mike McGlinchey (whom I really want; I've got a prospect crush on him, since Chukwuma Okorafor is likely going in the first round.) Drafttek has Payne going to the Eagles in the first round at #32. SBnation has him going to the Falcons at #20. So, maybe we need to trade up slightly, but I have faith in our front office to do that. And it's not like prospects can't fall for reasons unknown to us. Jonathan Allen (the Alabama defensive end) fell out of the top ten into Washington's lap (they were somewhere in the twenties; I believe it was #22.)

You're right that Teuhema might go higher than I expect. You're also right that Tavon will probably not go as high as he is and Mannion is low. I'll switch them out; I think that a team will pay for Mannion, even though I've never been sold on him as a prospect or a backup.

I expect a lot of turnover. Maybe we re-sign a Tyrunn Walker or keep Barwin. I don't expect us to keep Quinn at his salary. Saffold at his salary needs to be replaced by a free agent signing or a draft pick. Tavon at his salary needs to be replaced. I'd love to re-sign Watkins, but I'm not sure we do. Donald is going to command a huge salary, and we're going to have to pay Gurley and Goff eventually. I think that a lot of pieces are going to be replaced either by underrated free agency pickups (like NRC was) or by current players on the roster, or by draft picks and UDFAs (because we've always had solid UDFA pickups in the Snead era.)

Do you really think that we'd be able to re-sign Tru and sign Butler to go along with a Donald and Joyner extension? If we do, holy fucking shit, that would be awesome for the defense. I just don't see it.

I'll have fun talking with you about this draft class after we win the Super Bowl. And expect to see Da'Ron Payne in a Rams uniform next year. :D

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

TexasRam

Legend
Sure, I am always looking forward & into the future with my thoughts on the Rams.

#1- Keeping Goff Unmolested is my top concern. That requires that the OL be given priority in retaining top talent as possible. Rams have 3 OL'ers involved in FA'cy, starting OC John Sullivan & OT's Darrell Willimas & Cornelius Lucas. UFA Sullivan is a high priority & will demand a larger salary. Williams is a RFA & will most likely get a 2 yr contract close to Westbrooks did. I would look to sign UFA Spencer Long away from the Redskins too just in case Sullivan bolts. Long can also start @ both OG posts too. It should also be noted that 3 of Goff's OL starters will be UFA's in 2019 & salary $$$ must be set aside to sign all 3 if possible. Drafting a LT is also a high need.

#2- The defensive secondary would fall into the next unit of concern. FA'cy will impact this unit more than any other with 6 involved. Retaining Safety Joyner & Nickle NR-C would be the top 2 to sign. Snead has a good drafting track record in scouting DB's. Rams should utilize the draft to find a starting outside corner to replace Trumaine Johnson plus a safety to replace 3rd safety UFA Cody Davis. Snead should resign RFA Troy Hill & ERFA Kevin Peterson for CB depth.

#3- Edge Rusher/OLB'er posts have issues where Conner Barwin & Matt Longacre are involved FA'cy. Add in keeping Rob Quinn @ his ultra high salary cost would be a UN sound management decision. Longacre is a RFA & can be retained easy. Barwin resigning is doubtful due to cost but would try anyway. Rams will most likely have to go with Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Ejuan Price & utilize the 2018 draftee & resign the 2 edge rushers on the PS.

I would suggest that RB Tavon Austin be traded for what ever we can get for him or released to save 3 million. I would not invest in a long term high cost contract with WR Sammy Watkins when the Rams have 8 of their receivers under contract in 2018 (Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, Everett, Higbee & Hemingway). A very good amount of pass catching talent. Other FA's to strongly consider resigning are NT Tyrunn Walker, RB Malcolm Brown & LS Jake McQuaide.

Our 1st round selection should be utilized to secure the best pick available of the these 3 positions CB/ LT/ Edge Rusher

Totally agree. Oline highest priority. Sullivan first priority. Of course I am trying to get Donald long term if I can.

Saffold is going no where.

The success of this team begins and ends with Goff.

Andrew Luck didn't have an o-line, has taken a beating the last two seasons, and his career now is in jeopardy.

We may have other needs but o-lne should be our # priority.

Last edited:

poLARizing

UDFA
Goff and Gurley are franchise players. I would hope they build or shore up the O-line for the future to protect Goff. I would make sure Goff has the fewest sacks year-in, year-out.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Sign our in house guys, aka Tru, Donald, Longacre, etc and keep adding depth to the offensive line. Sully has been great, definitely overachieving, but I wouldn't be too sad if he follows the money because of Blythe... then again, it's nice to have a backup like Blythe who can stay fresh, come in and not miss a beat.

Gotta sign Tru to a deal tho, and Donald. Releasing Quinn alone should allow us to extend Donald, or at least put a dent in it.

I wonder if Barron or Tree could play OLB in Wades scheme? I still think we need a thumper who can defeat blocks in the middle.

I'm indifferent when it comes to Watkins or Austin. Cooper has kinda made Austin expendable now more than ever. And we're pretty stacked at WR. Wonder if Watkins would sign a 1 or 2 year deal? I'd like to see how he'd benefit from a full off season with the team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I disagree when it comes to the quarterback class. It's one of the best I've seen since I scouted teams in 2006 (I was fifteen at the time, sue me. :p ). Josh Rosen (UCLA), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), and Sam Darnold (USC) are guaranteed top ten picks. Josh Allen (Wyoming) and Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State) are also names who will be in the first round. Hell, even Baker Mayfield's getting first round hype. There's a lot of teams who need quarterbacks, and quarterbacks tend to rise on draft day (see Ponder, Christian and Gabbert, Blaine.) There's also other names to consider: Derwin James (SS, Florida State), Saquon Barkley (RB, Penn State), Bradley Chubb (DE, NC State) Minkah Fitzpatrick (FS, Alabama), Courtland Sutton (WR, SMU), Orlando Brown (OT, Oklahoma), Roquan Smith (LB, Georgia), etc.

Currently, Da'Ron Payne is listed as a second round prospect by CBS, along with Mike McGlinchey (whom I really want; I've got a prospect crush on him, since Chukwuma Okorafor is likely going in the first round.) Drafttek has Payne going to the Eagles in the first round at #32. SBnation has him going to the Falcons at #20. So, maybe we need to trade up slightly, but I have faith in our front office to do that. And it's not like prospects can't fall for reasons unknown to us. Jonathan Allen (the Alabama defensive end) fell out of the top ten into Washington's lap (they were somewhere in the twenties; I believe it was #22.)

You're right that Teuhema might go higher than I expect. You're also right that Tavon will probably not go as high as he is and Mannion is low. I'll switch them out; I think that a team will pay for Mannion, even though I've never been sold on him as a prospect or a backup.

I expect a lot of turnover. Maybe we re-sign a Tyrunn Walker or keep Barwin. I don't expect us to keep Quinn at his salary. Saffold at his salary needs to be replaced by a free agent signing or a draft pick. Tavon at his salary needs to be replaced. I'd love to re-sign Watkins, but I'm not sure we do. Donald is going to command a huge salary, and we're going to have to pay Gurley and Goff eventually. I think that a lot of pieces are going to be replaced either by underrated free agency pickups (like NRC was) or by current players on the roster, or by draft picks and UDFAs (because we've always had solid UDFA pickups in the Snead era.)

Do you really think that we'd be able to re-sign Tru and sign Butler to go along with a Donald and Joyner extension? If we do, holy freaking crap, that would be awesome for the defense. I just don't see it.

I'll have fun talking with you about this draft class after we win the Super Bowl. And expect to see Da'Ron Payne in a Rams uniform next year. :D

Well, we might just be seeing different things.

It seems unless something changes that Darnold stays in school. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Josh Allen has been playing like ass for someone who's supposed to be in the 1st round. I don't get the Baker Mayfield stuff...at all. I think there are some 2nd/3rd round QBs coming out, but I don't see all the 1st rounders. Then again, as you point out, Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert went in the first and they don't call the off-season the silly season for nothing.

I haven't seen anything that has Da'Ron Payne going lower than 20, but I didn't base my eval on that. I went to the film and even from the first blush, he does things that translate to the NFL as a rookie. I can think of only 4 interior guys whose hands were as good coming out: AD, Gerald McCoy, Suh and Geno Atkins. Good teams focus on that more than production. Barrett Jones is an example of when I focused more on production than skills translating to the pros. Got him way wrong.

I don't think we keep Quinn, either. Not unless he goes Hulk Smash on the league for the remaining games. I don't see it and I think his salary will be gone next year.

As I've said in other posts, I don't think it's the money with AD, but I think it's in the details. If he wants the opt-out clause, the Rams are gonna have to make an exit decision...play him for 3 years and lose him or trade him for a boatload of picks/players. If AD does, in fact, want an opt-out clause, then all of our dreams of AD retiring a Ram are over. The only question is how and when he exits. And yes, even typing that makes me sad.

And yes, without Quinn's and Tavon's salary (or we keep him at a reduced rate), I think we can sign AD (again, presuming it's not an issue of an opt-out), re-sign Tru, sign Butler and extend Joyner.

As for seeing Da'Ron Payne in a Rams uni...from your lips to God's ears.

If we somehow sign AD AND Payne falls to us, we'll go from a top 5 D to a historically good D.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Good God, man, what you're suggesting is like sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner and announcing your Christmas present wish list during grace. I'm just trying to enjoy this season as it unfolds. There are too many variables from now through a potential SB win

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Bonifay, thanks for that extensive list of CBs that will be available in free agency. Also, I agree with your point about the Rams keeping their DBs.