Alumni day: Steven Jackson declares he is greatest Rams running back of all time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
FWIW I have the final list

marshall-faulk-photo-u18

Marshall FaulkSeasons: 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999
steven-jackson-photo-u11

Steven JacksonSeasons: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
eric-dickerson-photo-u12

Eric DickersonSeasons: 1986, 1985, 1984, 1983

todd-gurley-photo-u9

Todd GurleySeasons: 2017, 2016, 2015
lawrence-mccutcheon-football-players-american-photo-u1

Lawrence McCutcheonSeasons: 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1973

Really fair list IMO and I need to edit mine... McCutcheon belongs ahead of Bettis.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Scouting Combine Faulk ran a 4.28 forty-yard dash, and 10.3 100 meter
train
I believe that got hyped, it was a 4.33, no slouch though. And you can clearly see him run faster than defenses in the open. Faulk was part Barry Sanders, not quite the juking and spinning level as Barry but close. He was pretty fast. Great acceleration and vision. He was also very football smart, could see things and help his QB out. Phenomenal blocker as well. He was the greatest Ram RB, hands down.

ED and SJ were very impressive, but not Faulk level. SJ played the most seasons. If TG3 plays more seasons than SJ, he will lead the statistical categories and probably be #2 for me behind Faulk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The lack of McCuthchen in this thread is disappointing.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate this kind of lazy, inaccurate reporting. He didn't declare that he was the greatest Rams running back of all time, he said, "I think it's me." BIG difference. He should think it is him; as should ED, Faulk, etc. Sorry, I just hate the lack of journalistic integrity nowadays. I guess you have to distort the truth for clicks; SAD.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After more consideration..

1: Marshall Faulk (Among the greatest football players of all time, at any position)
2:
Eric Dickerson (the record books say it all)
3: Steven Jackson (put up franchise numbers on worst Rams teams)
4: Lawrence McCutcheon (career like SJs, but on good teams.)
5: Todd Gurley (with another season like '17 would leapfrog to 3)
6: Tank Younger (Never saw him play but was clearly a stud as his numbers indicate)
7: Jerome Bettis (hard to say what might have been but his Ram sample size was too small... but definitely a great career in Pittsburgh)

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I have huge respect for Steven Jackson . He gave us hope when there was none. He was a beast.

Marshall Faulk was just a brilliant football player. One of the best I have ever seen.

Eric Dickerson was as smooth as silk.

All Rams , all great. Loved watching them all play.

I also liked Cleveland Gary.... his 1992 season was exceptional.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Faulk and Gurley for me are at the highest level. They consistently have explosive plays in the run and pass. Both are elite goaline backs and both have world class breakaway ability.
You must be too young to have seen Eric Dickerson play.

Dickerson looked like a gazelle once he started galloping.
The longest strider I've ever seen once he got wound up.
But those same long legs could juke you out of your jockstrap.
And if he didn't juke you, he would just as soon run you over.

Eric Dickerson actually made Tom Landry throw up the white flag in a PLAYOFF game.
Landry started inserting second stringers in the fourth quarter when he realized he didn't have anything for Dickerson and the Rams.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I think it's great that Jackson is considered one of our great running backs.
I'm sure he's very proud to have played well when we weren't a good team. He was a great talent and he's up there with the best.

My heart lies with Dickerson as I got into NFL in 1986, didn't have a team to support at the time as I was learning the game as a kid.
I quickly became a fan of the RB and my favourite players were Payton, Marcus Allen, and Dickerson.
In 1987 I went to a preseason game between Rams and Broncos.
I became a fan of the Rams as soon as my uncle got us tickets based solely on Eric.

However, head rules the heart and I believe that Faulk is our best running back.
Yes, he was on a great team, but he excelled. Truly a special talent who impressed at the Colts before he joined us.

Luckily for us we have, and I don't like comparing, a Faulk-type player in Gurley.
Continuing my appreciation of running back he is my favourite player in the NFL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Gurley IS amazing.

We have to make sure we appreciate it while we see it.

I always thought that Dickerson and Faulk were once-in-a-lifetime talents but Gurley has the potential to pass them.

Yeah!
I said it!
GO RAMS!