Alumni day: Steven Jackson declares he is greatest Rams running back of all time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I disagree on your last point.
Jackson did not possess any supernatural gift for getting in the endzone... but nothing about him vs. 11 defenders (after doing all of the work to get it down there) was "subpar" at the goal line.
During his prime, most Rams TDs came with 3 defenders draped across SJs back.

Its true that his TD numbers are not elite but imo that has almost everything to do with his supporting cast and nothing to do with his ability at the goal line or instinct to score or anything like that.

Also, Gurley hasn't proven himself to be a better back than ED or SJ but he is a top 4 Rams RB and on many teams he would be higher... but this is the Rams and great RBs is what we do.
To Gurleys credit, last season he looked better than Jackson ever did.
But the season before? Not pretty. looked worse than Jackson ever did...
I don't know. I remember that every time we needed 1 or 2 yards, whether for a first down or a TD, I thought "here's the end of this drive" because Jackson had a chronic inability to gain short yardage in short yardage situations. That's why we brought in... I don't remember the guys name, maybe Stephen Davis? To get those yards and mentioned Jackson in that area. It worked for a year or two, but then he went right back to the same old thing.

That's just my memory of the situation. He was a fierce competitor, but a short yardage guarantee (anywhere on the field or at any time during a game) he was not. Not even close.

Ram65

Legend
ED was one dimensional and played behind the best offensive line but had no QB so faced 8 men boxes.

SJack wasn’t the best pass blocker but could catch passes out of the backfield. His Oline was the worst of the 4. But Sjack had subpar goaline game.

IIRC ED had around 52 catches one year early in his career with the Rams. Robinson just would rather just run him. He was a good pass catcher.

IIRC SJ39 developed into a good pass protector. He was held out of the goaline more than he should have been. I don't if he ran to high or the blocking was poor. TG is very good at getting in for the TD.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know. I remember that every time we needed 1 or 2 yards, whether for a first down or a TD, I thought "here's the end of this drive" because Jackson had a chronic inability to gain short yardage in short yardage situations. That's why we brought in... I don't remember the guys name, maybe Stephen Davis? To get those yards and mentioned Jackson in that area. It worked for a year or two, but then he went right back to the same old thing.

That's just my memory of the situation. He was a fierce competitor, but a short yardage guarantee (anywhere on the field or at any time during a game) he was not. Not even close.

Your memory isnt entirely wrong.
Its true that Stephen Davis was a short yardage savant... and his presence did help Jackson learn to "stay behind his pads" while working inside... the biggest issue imo is that Jackson was built like short TE. Very tall and upright for the position... which helped him pick up speed across a distance, making him a monster once he had a head of steam. Jackson was an awfully big man and without a good o-line, it was very hard to "get small".
Davis was pretty good but the dude was built like a bowling ball.
I will agree that of the guys you mentioned, Jackson wasnt as phenomenal as the other 3 at the goal line. I just dont think "sub par" is a fair description. And since we are splitting hairs, Gurley has probably already been tackled by his shoe strings than Jackson was his entire time in Saint Louis... seriously!

Dont get me wrong. Gurley is my favorite current Ram and if you mixed the best backs we ever had into a superfreak, Gurley is what you would get. The multidimensional aspects like Faulk, the freakish combo of power and speed of Jackson and the breathtaking glide and stride of Dickerson.
He might not be as great at any of those things but he is a remarkable blend of the 3 and is the best offensive weapon in the league right now and he has the ability to surpass all of our greats statistically, but it will be hard.
In a few years younger fans will probably believe Todd is the best Rams RB ever and they might be right..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its true that Stephen Davis was a short yardage savant... and his presence did help Jackson learn to "stay behind his pads" while working inside... the biggest issue imo is that Jackson was built like short TE. Very tall and upright for the position... which helped him pick up speed across a distance, making him a monster once he had a head of steam. Jackson was an awfully big man and without a good o-line, it was very hard to "get small".
I will agree that of the guys you mentioned, Jackson wasnt as phenomenal as the other 3 at the goal line. I just dont think "sub par" is a fair description. And since we are splitting hairs, Gurley has probably already been tackled by his shoe strings than Jackson was his entire time in Saint Louis... seriously!

Dont get me wrong. Gurley is my favorite current Ram and if you mixed the best backs we ever had into a superfreak, Gurley is what you would get. The multidimensional aspects like Faulk, the freakish combo of power and speed of Jackson and the breathtaking glide and stride of Dickerson.
He might not be as great at any of those things but he is a remarkable blend of the 3 and is the best offensive weapon in the league right now and he has the ability to surpass all of our greats statistically, but it will be hard.
In a few years younger fans will probably believe Todd is the best Rams RB ever and they might be right..
If I could give you a 1k threadwinners I would. Jackson was the only offensive threat for a long time with the Rams you couple that with bad oLine and predictable play calling you get the short yardage stops.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

That's all fair. I can agree.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That's all fair. I can agree.

Well its all subjective and perspective ... you weren't wrong really, I just needed something to think about and discuss - take my mind off of some shit and you gave me that! Thank you! :cool:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I expect this to change over the next 5 years :)

Eric Dickerson
M Faulk
SJax
Gurley

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well statistically speaking, he is

The rest is nothing more or less than perspectives and opinions
I disagree.
Eric Dickerson holds NFL records and is in the Hall of Fame.

Marshall Faulk was one of the missing pieces that took us to a Super Bowl and is in the Hall of Fame.

Marshall Faulk was the best all-around back the NFL as ever produced.
Running
Catching
Blocking
A decoy
A player that had to be given special attention to even slow him down some.

Jackson was a very good durable back who had a long solid career.
Good for him, but his opinion is just "speculation" as well.

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He was a great player but marshal will always be number 1 for me . He has a ring

Gurley should overcome Jackson's TD total by his 5th season lol

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For freak sakes fellas give some freakin respect to crazy legs Elroy Hirsch & Lawrence McCutcheon
Rams are crazy stacked all time at RB

1) ED
2) Faulk
3) Elroy Hirsch
4) TG3
5) Lawrence McCutcheon
6) Bettis
7) SJax

https://www.ranker.com/review/lawre...ref=node_name&pos=5&a=0&ltype=n&l=2626379&g=1

McCutcheon was very good but not better than Jackson, Crazy Legs played WR and Bettis wasnt better as a Steeler than SJ, he just played a long time for a high profile team, and was iconically big for the position.

Its all subjective... but I definitely think you have Jackson too far down on your list

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
have you seen brady operate under extreme pressure? it's not pretty. many player's careers have been ruined by being drafted by the browns. look at the rams players with jeff fisher and boras in charge. some players just luck out and play for teams with great coaching.

Maybe with a few teams but still I would have taken Brady over any of the other QBs the Rams has since 2007. He is better than any of them. Same with Rodgers.

SJ was very good on s bad team his entire career. If he had gone to a good team he would be talked about in the same light as LT, Bettis, etc... He would heave been a nightmare to face if he were a Steeler.

TexasRam

Legend

View: https://youtu.be/llyim1eSSAY

Come on now. That guy was no slouch.

Honestly that video shows Jackson much slower then I remembered.

He definitely doesn’t have that 3rd
Gear like Gurley. Like what you see in the Seattle game or the Tennessee game.

That was the issue with Jackson. He normally couldn’t bowl people over in short yardage and he wasn’t a breakaway back. He was a get fired up and trip over a hand tackle back.

He did catch well, had longevity and was a class act but was middle of the pack for me. He’s in the Greg Bell, Wendyl Tyler group for me.

Faulk and Gurley for me are at the highest level. They consistently have explosive plays in the run and pass. Both are elite goaline backs and both have world class breakaway ability.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW I have the final list

marshall-faulk-photo-u18

Marshall FaulkSeasons: 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999
steven-jackson-photo-u11

Steven JacksonSeasons: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
eric-dickerson-photo-u12

Eric DickersonSeasons: 1986, 1985, 1984, 1983

todd-gurley-photo-u9

Todd GurleySeasons: 2017, 2016, 2015
lawrence-mccutcheon-football-players-american-photo-u1

Lawrence McCutcheonSeasons: 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1973

tempests

Hall of Fame
Faulk and Gurley for me are at the highest level. They consistently have explosive plays in the run and pass. Both are elite goaline backs and both have world class breakaway ability.

Rams GSOT players played faster on turf, but Marshall didn't really run away from people either. That wasn't his game. Juking and making people miss, that was his game. And he had Orlando Pace to run behind at the goal line. Got a lot of his TDs running left.

SJ didn't run away from anybody but he had speed enough to turn the corner, and shifty enough to break the occasional big gain. His game was moving the chains in between the tackles, despite defenses keying on him with no respect for the passing game,like Corey Dillon in Cincinnati.