Alumni day: Steven Jackson declares he is greatest Rams running back of all time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Reynolds in the last couple paragraphs? Long day for GK

Alumni day: Steven Jackson declares he is greatest Rams running back of all time
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-alumni-20180518-story.html

By GARY KLEIN
MAY 18, 2018 | 7:35 PM

As the reigning NFL offensive player of the year, Todd Gurley is the latest in a long line of outstanding Rams running backs.

Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk are the two that most often come to mind, but Steven Jackson — the franchise's all-time rushing leader — also owns a place in the elite group.

"Sometimes, I talk to current fans here [in Los Angeles] and there's an argument of who's the greatest running back to be a Ram," Jackson said Friday at the Rams' Thousand Oaks training facility, where he took part in an alumni weekend. "I think it's me.

"Look at the record book. Everybody has their pick."

From 2005 to 2012, Jackson rushed for more than 1,000 yards in eight consecutive seasons for the St. Louis Rams.

"I'm a history freak," Jackson said. "And when it comes to the Rams' organization, if there's one thing we do, we pick running backs well."

Jackson, 34, looks fit enough to still be playing.

The former Oregon State standout, the 24th player selected in the 2004 draft, was a three-time Pro Bowl selection during his 12-year career with the Rams, Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots.

In nine seasons with the Rams, Jackson rushed for 10,138 yards and 56 touchdowns, and caught 407 passes for 3,324 yards and eight touchdowns.

His best season was 2006, when he rushed for 1,528 yards and 13 touchdowns, and caught 90 passes for 806 yards and three touchdowns.

But the Rams never posted a winning record during Jackson's years with the team. They made the playoffs only once, in his rookie season in 2004 when they finished 8-8.

"Everyone doesn't get the wins," he said. "Some guy's going to be a lucky this year, be a rookie to win the Super Bowl.

"And you have somebody like myself that plays 12 years and doesn't get a chance."

Jackson said it was not bittersweet to see the Rams flourishing under coach Sean McVay, who last season led them an 11-5 record and their first playoff appearance since Jackson's rookie season.

"When I played, it was more of, you get a lead and you always expected a team to come back," he said, adding, "It hurts to say that out loud, but that's how it was in those days.

"Now to watch the current Rams play, it's, more so, you see the confidence. And every week last year I saw the team grow."

The Rams led the NFL in scoring in 2017 as Gurley scored a league-best 19 touchdowns. Jackson said McVay's play-calling was reminiscent of former Rams coach Mike Martz.

Asked how he would fit in McVay's offense, Jackson said, "I think I'd probably still be running for 1,000 yards a season."

Jackson said he enjoyed watching the development of former teammates such as offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, kicker Greg Zuerlein and punter Johnny Hekker.

"To see the careers they've made for themselves has been impressive," he said.

In February, Jackson climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa as part of former Rams teammate Chris Long's annual "Waterboys" charity.

Now he is looking forward to seeing the Rams continue to develop under McVay, especially as Gurley continues the Rams' running backs legacy.

"We're all different and all are special in different ways," he said. "It's a group that we go for pound for pound against any other team in the NFL when it comes to the history of the running back position."

A year of progress

Hall of fame offensive lineman Jackie Slater attended last year's alumni weekend when McVay was preparing for his first season.

"The difference between what he did a year ago and what he did today — you could tell that this offense is in full bloom and that everybody in that [team meeting] room really has a handle on what he's teaching," Slater said, adding, "All I could see is a blossoming, and I think a bludgeoning, kind of a thunderous kind of a powerhouse that they're developing here.

"And... we could be watching some special football here for the next decade, if not longer. The guy's 32 years old. He's just getting started in this business."

Coaching clinic

Todd Lyght was impressed by what he observed from defensive backs during workouts and meetings.

Lyght, the fifth pick in the 1991 draft, played 10 of his 12 NFL seasons for the Rams. He coaches defensive backs at Notre Dame, his alma mater.

Lyght, a 1999 Pro Bowl pick, complimented cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant, and said cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters were "probably going to end up being the best tandem in the league" for years to come.

"I've always been a fan of Talib's," Lyght said. "I think he's a phenomenal player, a great competitor. He takes a lot of pride in his tackling, which a lot of cornerbacks don't do all the time.

"And I think Peters is an outstanding player, a great playmaker."

Weighing in on Wade

Hall of Fame defensive lineman Jack Youngblood, the 20th pick in the 1971 draft, was in his sixth NFL season when Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips began his NFL coaching career in 1976.

Reynolds said Phillips reminds him of Ray Malavasi, the Rams defensive coordinator from 1973 to 1977 and head coach from 1978 to 1982.

"Very intelligent about what the offense is going to do to you, and therefore, what am I going to do to offset that," Reynolds said. "He puts his talent in position to be able to play and to be able to excel."

gary.klein@latimes.com

Follow Gary Klein on Twitter @latimesklein

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/997522834942443520

View: https://twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/997563028672364544

View: https://twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/997562314785046529

View: https://twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/997558350794522624

View: https://twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/997556341597061120

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Great read @TSFH Fan

Thanks for posting. Love hearing from the old players.

I love Jax. But he's being a bit delusional here.

1. Dick
2. Marshall
3. Jax

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think SJ is pretty proud of owning the Rams franchise rushing record, as he should be. Few RBs in history had to play with as lousy teams as he did.

But reading the article, he didn't actually declare anything, he just threw his name in the ring.

"Sometimes, I talk to current fans here [in Los Angeles] and there's an argument of who's the greatest running back to be a Ram, I think it's me....Look at the record book. Everybody has their pick."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
M Faulk
ED
Gurley
SJax

Gurley? I think your jumping the gun. Remember what Todd looked like before McVay, Snead, and Kromer fixed the OLine? He was terrible. JAckson ran behind terrible Olines his entire career. He had a rough career making his own holes must of the time and he still holds the franchise record.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It warms my heart to see the Rams honor these guys from LA and St Louis. SJAX has been a missing guy, SO GREAT to see him. He has every right to look at his total yards rushing with the Rams, and say "I'm the best." Don't know if he actually said it that way, but in today's NFL, the downgrading of the RB position and FA agency/CAP concerns, we may never see a RB wearing horns beat his Ram's record.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Gurley? I think your jumping the gun. Remember what Todd looked like before McVay, Snead, and Kromer fixed the OLine? He was terrible. JAckson ran behind terrible Olines his entire career. He had a rough career making his own holes must of the time and he still holds the franchise record.
...I remember Todd being Off Rookie of Year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I made my list according to who I would have on my team first. M Faulk had all the tools, he could run the all up the middle, get to the edge and beat corners, catch screens, go over he middle or even get deep.

ED was more the pure RB and was not near as good as Faulk as a receiver. Same with SJax.

Gurley on the other hand is more like M Faulk as an all around RB who can do it all. He still needs work at pass pro though.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I agree with SJ. To me, he' the only player in NFL history besides Barry Sanders to have done more with less. If that 2006 team were to be the average for Jackson's career, you'd be looking at a guy who's rushing for 15,000 yards.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with SJ. To me, he' the only player in NFL history besides Barry Sanders to have done more with less. If that 2006 team were to be the average for Jackson's career, you'd be looking at a guy who's rushing for 15,000 yards.
And if Warner stayed healthy he would have thrown for 50,000 yards....
and if....
and if....
and if....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"When I played, it was more of, you get a lead and you always expected a team to come back," he said, adding, "It hurts to say that out loud, but that's how it was in those days.
RqHJ.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Then the next year he was the mvp. Everyone knew it except the media guys who are in love with Brady.

With one of the best lines in the league and a highly regarded offensive mind leading the way, Again, Jackson’s Oline sucked his entire career.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With one of the best lines in the league and a highly regarded offensive mind leading the way, Again, Jackson’s Oline sucked his entire career.

And Joe Montana played for the whiners with Bill Walsh as his coach instead of playing for the bucs. Tom Brady has had 5 seconds to throw the ball for pretty much his whole career. That's the luck players have in the nfl.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I felt that way so many times, during so many games. I can recall thinking "I don't think they will hold this lead" so often. It was essentially a reflex to hope for a W but expect an L for a LONG time.

Jackson said McVay's play-calling was reminiscent of former Rams coach Mike Martz.

I disagree, McVay is far more balanced of a play-caller. Now if he had said play designer I would agree 100% and have said it myself.

What about MY pain.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great post @TSFH Fan especially the comparison of Wade Phillips & Raymondo Giuseppi Giovanni Baptiste Malavasi. IMO, Malavasi never gets enough credit and I for one have always been tough on the former High Profile Defensive Coordinator and then Head Coach. I adored Knox and had always wished that Carroll Rosenbloom went with gut and hired Bill Walsh back in 1978 as opposed to George Allen, which even at 12 I knew that Allen and Rosenbloom could never coexist.

In fact I will never forget a quote from the Rams first owner Dan Reeves (Hall of famer) and first person to move his team west said....Reeves said "I had more fun losing with Harland Svare, then I ever had winning with George Allen." Anyway Ray Malavasi made Knox's teams great because of his defense and in fact, was the only holdover when the Rams hired Allen as Ray was going to run the offense under Allen before Allen's abrupt firing and Malavasi's unexpected promotion.

I also remember Fred Dryer saying that they knew they could win in the playoffs with "Ray." Because Ray would do whatever needed to be done to win, where Knox always played things too close to the vest. Anyway it was Malavasi and former renown DC Bud Carson that devised the 7 defensive back scheme that drove Roger Staubach into reitrement in 1979.