Alumni day: Steven Jackson declares he is greatest Rams running back of all time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What about MY pain.
takethepain.gif

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
And if Warner stayed healthy he would have thrown for 50,000 yards....
and if....
and if....
and if....
Being healthy is different then having a good team around you. It's not his decision to pick coaches and players. But it was up to Warner to stay on the field.

nighttrain

Legend
ED
Faulk
Bettis
SJ
Gurley
All Hall of Famers, Gurley potentially, cant we just leave it at that?
train

fearsomefour

Legend
Being healthy is different then having a good team around you. It's not his decision to pick coaches and players. But it was up to Warner to stay on the field.
just sayin....
I love Jackson but he could not carry MF or ED jock strap in terms of skill.
He was great though and a true pro, slugging away on God awful teams without complaint.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
SJax always rubbed me the wrong way and still does. I just don't like the dude. What he did with bad teams was notable, but he's not in the running with guys like Dickerson and Faulk.

Still, it's nice to see him and the team legends get some time with the team and whatnot, and a little limelight. Love how the team handles their legends now, it's pretty cool.

Ram65

Legend
What could SJ39 have done with an offensive line like today's Rams or ED's Rams? They were all fun to watch.

I guess this is now a tradition to bring the former Rams in to talk to and meet the current Rams. Rams have had some great players and they are still an asset to the young players that are Rams today. It good to get the Rams tradition back on track. Wonder what the plans are in the new stadium to honor the former Rams.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It’s very tricky to fairly rank these Ram RB’s, isn’t it?

I mean, ED played behind a virtual All Pro OL as a Ram. And Robinson wasn’t exactly a pass happy HC in that era. So all the cards were stacked in ED’s favor to put up stupendous running stats.

Faulk could do it all and benefited greatly from Martz and some fabulous teammates in their own right.

Gurley is early in his career, but what he’s accomplished under McVay and with a decent cast of O teammates last year is damned impressive. He shoulda been league MVP last season, IMO.

SJ had the heart of a lion but never enjoyed the coaching or teammate talent level of the other 3 RB’s. Yet he still was a terror running, catching passes, and blocking, anyway.

I don’t think that there is a “wrong” ranking of these 4 RB’s. All are, or were elite and with a capital E, at that.

But here’s my personal ranking:

I make ED and Faulk a virtual tie. Different styles and they played in different eras, but I can’t find any daylight between them in terms of production and team impact. Both were among the best of the best of all time and both did it for years.

I make Gurley number 3 after what we saw last year under McVay. It’s early, but he’s in his prime and has an excellent HC, an ascending Pro Bowl QB, a terrific OL, an outstanding group of WR’s, and what appears to be a potential elite D to keep giving the O more possessions to make things easier for him. All the ingredients for excellence are in front of him, IOW.

So, by this process of elimination, SJ falls to 4th place in my rankings. But Damn! There’s no shame in being 4th place on such a list as this, that’s for sure.

What a pleasure it’s been to have enjoyed watching all 4 of these amazing players over the years. Sigh...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ED,__________________________Faulk, Bettis, SJ, and I'd expect Gurley to pass these last 3 up in 3 seasons

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For me Marshall Faulk will always be #1 and ED 1b, Bettis spent too much time in Pittsburg! SJ will stay in the TOP 5 but that's it. Gurley could beat them all given time and a little Luck!! JMHO

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
As far as I'm concerned Bettis can kiss my rear end.

I lost all respect for him that year he dogged it in his contract year to force that trade to Pittsburgh.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would say Steven Jackson is a borderline Hall of Famer.

Gurley at this rate with even a couple more seasons like he's had will be a shoo-in.

My favorite to watch play had to be Eric Dickerson though not the complete back that Marshall Faulk was.
But who is?

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love S-Jax as a player and as a person, and honestly? I'd put him in the best Rams running back category with Faulk and Dickerson. He's not wrong. He played with offensive lines that would've made Barry Sanders look like Trung Canidate with only an aging Torry Holt to take the pressure off of him. And he did it without complaining.

He'll always be my favorite Rams player for that reason alone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as I'm concerned Bettis can kiss my rear end.

I lost all respect for him that year he dogged it in his contract year to force that trade to Pittsburgh.
Dogged it? Idiot Brooks moved him to fullback

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
1: Faulk 1-A, Dickerson 1-B
2: Jackson 2-A, Gurley 2-B
3: Bettis

If Gurley stays on his current trajectory he could move into the 1's.
Another couple of seasons similar to his 1st and 3rd and he will swap spots with Jackson as 2-A.
That said, its worth noting that Jackson played on some teams that were not much better than the one TG3II had in year two....