Akers OUT for personal reasons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
To have a consistent perimeter run attack you need offensive linemen who can make it happen. When you have lost as many of the moving parts on the OL as the Rams have then trying to run outside can get ugly like it has. They have consistently lost yardage when trying to get outside.

But Akers is right there is a lack in creativity and execution when it comes to the run attack. It's exactly what I've been saying since the start of the season. If you want a consistent inside run game you need a FB. You can get production with inside zone but you need OL that can move and block on the second level. Evans can't even block at the LOS, leaving you with 4 blockers on 4 DL and at least 2 LBs. Running an inside power attack with a FB would help tremendously. Once they establish that the play action becomes effective and gives Stafford that extra time he needs. One read deep or intermediate, or a dumpoff to the TE or FB who is almost always open in playaction. Once the interior run game gets going it opens up the perimeter again with a FB lead.

When you are shorthanded on the OL a FB lead is the best way to help. It puts the numbers back in balance. It's time to see if Brewer can finally play. McVay needs to return to his layered passing scheme. That scheme helps the run attack as it forces the secondary to play a tight zone or man. If they play man then if the RB breaks into the second level he stands a chance of breaking a big run.

Time to make changes to the OL:
LT Nsekhe
LG Jackson
C Allen
RG Aboushi
RT Havenstein

Now try running to the left and hope they can play a whole game without getting hurt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To have a consistent perimeter run attack you need offensive linemen who can make it happen. When you have lost as many of the moving parts on the OL as the Rams have then trying to run outside can get ugly like it has. They have consistently lost yardage when trying to get outside.

But Akers is right there is a lack in creativity and execution when it comes to the run attack. It's exactly what I've been saying since the start of the season. If you want a consistent inside run game you need a FB. You can get production with inside zone but you need OL that can move and block on the second level. Evans can't even block at the LOS, leaving you with 4 blockers on 4 DL and at least 2 LBs. Running an inside power attack with a FB would help tremendously. Once they establish that the play action becomes effective and gives Stafford that extra time he needs. One read deep or intermediate, or a dumpoff to the TE or FB who is almost always open in playaction. Once the interior run game gets going it opens up the perimeter again with a FB lead.

When you are shorthanded on the OL a FB lead is the best way to help. It puts the numbers back in balance. It's time to see if Brewer can finally play. McVay needs to return to his layered passing scheme. That scheme helps the run attack as it forces the secondary to play a tight zone or man. If they play man then if the RB breaks into the second level he stands a chance of breaking a big run.

Time to make changes to the OL:
LT Nsekhe
LG Jackson
C Allen
RG Aboushi
RT Havenstein

Now try running to the left and hope they can play a whole game without getting hurt.
Or start Nsekhe at LG. Just get Evans off the field.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
This is so sad, the Rams made trade and draft decisions and acquisitions depending on Akers being the Akers of two years ago.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
My only complaint is the handling of the situation. Please keep everything in house instead of the media next time, makes our team look like idiots. Hopefully all parties can move on and stop bullshitting. Let's focus on winning Rams!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We will rally around Cam Akers and.... Oh nevermind.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I've always been a huge fan of McVay, and I still am.

From what I've seen and read on the Cam situation, frankly I think this further proves McVay is a talented coach.

Sounds to me like Cam's complaining got to be too much and that he was out of line. McVay made it clear that Cam's behavior wouldn't be tolerated and was enough to jeopardize his standing on the team.

Did McVay handle it perfectly? No, and he admitted as such.

But here's the key point: once things settled down, McVay facilitated a conversation (with Akers along with his agent) that successfully resolved the problem. Judging by words and body language, it looks to me like BOTH McVay and Akers feel like they had a good talk and buried the hatchet.

To me, this just reinforces that McVay has it all as a coach-- not only is he great as a leader and as a tactician, but he can still be a "player's coach" as well.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I've always been a huge fan of McVay, and I still am.

From what I've seen and read on the Cam situation, frankly I think this further proves McVay is a talented coach.

Sounds to me like Cam's complaining got to be too much and that he was out of line. McVay made it clear that Cam's behavior wouldn't be tolerated and was enough to jeopardize his standing on the team.

Did McVay handle it perfectly? No, and he admitted as such.

But here's the key point: once things settled down, McVay facilitated a conversation (with Akers along with his agent) that successfully resolved the problem. Judging by words and body language, it looks to me like BOTH McVay and Akers feel like they had a good talk and buried the hatchet.

To me, this just reinforces that McVay has it all as a coach-- not only is he great as a leader and as a tactician, but he can still be a "player's coach" as well.
Yeah - being a manager can be a crap shoot or a baby sitting experience - or both!
It takes a lot of composure to work through the emotional issues that come up (on a team, or in the workforce). One of the main reasons, I stayed on the technical side of life and out of the manager duties....
None of us know exactly what went on - but Sean seems to have stepped up and facilitated working out the ugly details. Need to put these issues on the short memory list....

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Here's a link to an article and a full 5 minute video of an interview with Cam today in the (noisy) locker room. Kinda hard to hear him above the shouting.

I think we all forget sometimes how hard it can be for pro athletes to deal with the media. Imagine if you just had an argument with your spouse or a family member, and all of a sudden 10 reporters showed up at your doorstep asking all sorts of intrusive questions that you really didn't want to answer....?

Bottom line: I think Cam grew up a bit from this. I think he knows he was out of line, and I bet he'll think twice before pulling something like this again. He called McVay a "great coach" and said he was happy to be practicing again.

One side note for Cam about evading questions: you're allowed to say "I'd rather not answer that question and just keep it in house." Too often Cam said "I don't know" when actually he meant "I'd rather not say." But hey, he's a young guy who's not an expert yet at giving "non-answers."

Bottom line, I'm optimistic that Cam will be a good teammate for the rest of the season.

EDIT: For some reason I was able to access the article and video the first time I clicked, but now it's "asking for an email to keep reading." Not sure if ppl will be able to access this link or not...

oldnotdead

Legend
Akers went from a very good RB to a pretty good RB due to his injury. That is a very common result of Achilles injuries. That is not to say he can't get some of his explosive to return but it would take a complete change in his running style and dedication to rebuild his body. He needs to transform himself from a slasher to a grinder. If he starts now he might be good to go in 2024.

I think we will see Williams as the starter with Henderson in rotation.

I see them grabbing a RB in the 3rd round in the next draft if it's not traded away to move up for an edge in the second. I also think they will make an attempt to resign Michel who will be a FA. Williams, Michel, and the drafted rookie will probably make up the rotation.

The reason I can see them moving Jackson to LG now with Nsekhe starting at LT is that Jackson showed he can play OG which is something not easy for an OT to do. Nsekhe historically has been a pretty good LT. With Jackson and Nsekhe on the left side that patches up that side of the OL. This will allow Allen to support Aboushi at RG. This OL would get the offense back on track.

If Jackson works out at LG that solves their problem long term. Shelton can start at RG and Bruss can develop behind them.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My only complaint is the handling of the situation. Please keep everything in house instead of the media next time, makes our team look like idiots. Hopefully all parties can move on and stop bullshitting. Let's focus on winning Rams!
Hurt players who feel wronged will use the leverage available to them, it is a pretty tough task to keep this sort of thing "in house"

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really wanted him traded and gone, but it seems things are patched up now. I'm all for giving someone a second chance.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as "second chances" go, I'm much happier giving one to Akers before giving one to Hunt....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why does everybody say he was a malcontent? Did I miss something?

I haven't read anything which sheds light on what happened.

Ellard80

Legend

Why does everybody say he was a malcontent? Did I miss something?

I haven't read anything which sheds light on what happened.

no one really knows for sure... but if you watch the video above

He is clearly full of shit.

Im fine with giving him another chance though.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Hurt players who feel wronged will use the leverage available to them, it is a pretty tough task to keep this sort of thing "in house"
Yeah but doesn't excuse McVay going back and forth on trading him. You don't comment and keep shit in house even if the media really thinks something is going on. He handled it like an amateur on that part. Hopefully, all parties truly kissed and made up for the sake of this self started drama ending.