Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just heard a podcast with Eric Geller, who broke story of AD’s agent being “insulted” by Rams’ offer of 4 yrs/84 M.

Geller defends his sources, and clarified that this reporting was accurate, but “about two months old by now.”

Clarified that AD’s agents weren’t “personally insulted”, rather just trying to make it clear that they wouldn’t consider an offer of “only” 21 M per year.

Geller reiterated that talks are positive and he’s optimistic a deal will happen.

The “4 years at 21 M per year is insulting offer” discussion starts at around 13:45 mark.Link:

https://pca.st/F1xd

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just heard a podcast with Eric Geller, who broke story of AD’s agent being “insulted” by Rams’ offer of 4 yrs/84 M.

Geller defends his sources, and clarified that this reporting was accurate, but “about two months old by now.”

Clarified that AD’s agents weren’t “personally insulted”, rather just trying to make it clear that they wouldn’t consider an offer of “only” 21 M per year.

Geller reiterated that talks are positive and he’s optimistic a deal will happen.

The “4 years at 21 M per year is insulting offer” discussion starts at around 13:45 mark.Link:

https://pca.st/F1xd
This guy might be right or absolutely wrong. I tried to search him out on Google, and he wasn't found immediately because a guy with the same name came up. Only when I entered "a freelance multi media sports journalist" did his linkdin account and website come up. Looking at his website, he makes claims that can't be proven by any public source (the whole AD being offended at the $21 million a year statement), but says somehow everything he claimed has been proven true? When did Les Snead or Kevin Demoff verify his numbers?

His site says he's available for "Your source for your small business web site video testimonial and mobile DJing needs for all types of events."

Maybe a guy who's willing to DJ your personal event, has access to multi-million dollar sports agents and the most valued DT in a generation..or he's hearing rumors and repeating them as fact. I'm skeptical, myself.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm skeptical, myself.
Loyal, did you listen to the podcast?

My take is based mainly on what he sounds like— sounds level-headed, articulate, humble, responsible, professional. (Said he was torn about decision to go public.) Also— he’s done work for CBS, Sirius XM NFL, etc..

Frankly— the 4 yr 84 M initial offer, and the rejection of it, all has the ring of truth to it. Geller implies his source is well -connected in the organization, and I’m inclined to believe him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loyal, did you listen to the podcast?

My take is based mainly on what he sounds like— sounds level-headed, articulate, humble, responsible, professional. (Said he was torn about decision to go public.) Also— he’s done work for CBS, Sirius XM NFL, etc..

Frankly— the 4 yr 84 M initial offer, and the rejection of it, all has the ring of truth to it. Geller implies his source is well -connected in the organization, and I’m inclined to believe him.

No, I didn't. I don't like having to download software to listen to an audio file, which the link makes me do to hear it. Maybe I will look for a different source? I did the search before listening to the audio, so that I could critically analyze the source before I heard his story. He claims that 4yr. 84 million initial offer has bee absolutely verified. How so? Does he provide a source that isn't another secret source? (otherwise, it can't be verified, imo.)

Not trying to be an @ss, my friend. I'm just not that enamored with what passes for journalism, today.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I tried to search him out on Google.
Well...
You’ve managed to change my opinion on this, Loyal.
I went ahead and googled him too, and there’s just hardly anything there.
Yeah, he sounds polished and articulate, but the resume just isn’t there.
I’m still inclined to think he has a source who’s close to Snead or Pastoors... and yeah, maybe someone let slip a detail that wasn’t intended for the public. But Geller has no track record, none.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Guys I have an unnamed source from a unnamed reporter who really doesn't know how much the Rams offered and really doesn't know if ADs rep are insulted or not and really doesn't know if the rams and AD are close or far apart on their deal.

For fucks sake people...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Article 7, Section 7(g) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement: Any unexcused late reporting to or absence from preseason training camp by a player in the fifth League Year of his contract (the option year) shall subject the player to a fine of $30,000 per day, plus one week’s regular season salary for each preseason game missed.

For AD that comes out to $405,000 per missed pre-season game. Yeah, those fines will most likely be waived by the Rams once he reports to the team but it does give them some leverage. Honestly, the longer this goes on the more I take the side of the Rams organization.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Guys I have an unnamed source from a unnamed reporter who really doesn't know how much the Rams offered and really doesn't know if ADs rep are insulted or not and really doesn't know if the rams and AD are close or far apart on their deal.

For fucks sake people...
So there’s been secret negotiations with the Rams’ best player going on for months if not years...and people want to get some actual numbers?

Leaks of info can happen, and when they do, Rams fans want to know, for fuck’s sake...

Rainram

Starter
Article 7, Section 7(g) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement: Any unexcused late reporting to or absence from preseason training camp by a player in the fifth League Year of his contract (the option year) shall subject the player to a fine of $30,000 per day, plus one week’s regular season salary for each preseason game missed.

For AD that comes out to $405,000 per missed pre-season game. Yeah, those fines will most likely be waived by the Rams once he reports to the team but it does give them some leverage. Honestly, the longer this goes on the more I take the side of the Rams organization.

In what way(s) can the Rams use the fined monies? (e.g., Can they use that money and allocate it to other contracts for other players?)

Also, I know the accepted practice around the league has been to forgive those fines and penalties...but maybe they shouldn't. Most employers wouldn't. Otherwise what's the point of them? Has any team ever not waived fines in such circumstances?

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
So there’s been secret negotiations with the Rams’ best player going on for months if not years...and people want to get some actual numbers?

Leaks of info can happen, and when they do, Rams fans want to know, for freak’s sake...

don't get your thong in a twist bud. Just saying these reporters are a joke and some people can't see thru that. I'm just wondering why this thread is still going. No actual news has broke on this for months now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well...
You’ve managed to change my opinion on this, Loyal.
I went ahead and googled him too, and there’s just hardly anything there.
Yeah, he sounds polished and articulate, but the resume just isn’t there.
I’m still inclined to think he has a source who’s close to Snead or Pastoors... and yeah, maybe someone let slip a detail that wasn’t intended for the public. But Geller has no track record, none.
Or..... he is an ambulance chaser type who knew someone within the organization would be at a certain bar and struck up a conversation over some drinks.

Who knows really. But I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if he indeed had a source, he doesn’t any more. How’s that kids party DJ gig going Eric?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ok.... so I was watching the NFL app and a guy (didn’t catch his name) and he was saying there is no set rule on # of games played to constitute a season played. He said it is more of a situational decision. He was also saying the last time a player held out for a substantial period was 8 games and it was decided that counted as a season in that case.

People have been throwing around this six game rule. Can anyone dig up the rule?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ok.... so I was watching the NFL app and a guy (didn’t catch his name) and he was saying there is no set rule on # of games played to constitute a season played. He said it is more of a situational decision. He was also saying the last time a player held out for a substantial period was 8 games and it was decided that counted as a season in that case.

People have been throwing around this six game rule. Can anyone dig up the rule?
BTW - I didn't find the rule exactly but it is in the NFL Operations FAQ in regards to what constitutes an accrued season.

Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

So the reporter - as usual - didn't know shit about what he was saying.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In what way(s) can the Rams use the fined monies? (e.g., Can they use that money and allocate it to other contracts for other players?)

Also, I know the accepted practice around the league has been to forgive those fines and penalties...but maybe they shouldn't. Most employers wouldn't. Otherwise what's the point of them? Has any team ever not waived fines in such circumstances?

Sorry, don't have definitive answers along with links for those questions. Maybe someone else here does and can chime in.

My guess is that a player's agent when being presented with a long list of fines for his client missing the pre-season will encourage him not to report to the team unless those are waived. This is especially true for a player of Aaron Donald's fame. Those fines will most likely be absorbed into the new contract.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder if the wording of "material period of time" of section (b) would factor in if he were to hold out until week 10 (11) and not be ready to play the remaining six. If all he is looking to do at that point is accumulate his accrued year, I could see the club explore that argument.

Obviously, we all hope that it doesn't come to that but if he is trying to force their hand, I could see it.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
don't get your thong in a twist bud.

This is the best Rams message board on the internet because most posters are smart enough to not post insults. How about you learn to do the same.

Just saying these reporters are a joke and some people can't see thru that.

I read Geller's claim that he worked for "CBS Sports" and at first I believed that. But after LoyalRam pointed out the dude was exaggerating his resume, I looked it up as well, and acknowledged I had made a mistake. HOWEVER-- I have to point out that "extreme generalized skepticism" can be a danger, too. If an established reporter from an established source (like Schefter or Rapoport) reports something as fact, then yes, we can count on that to be true.

I'm just wondering why this thread is still going. No actual news has broke on this for months now.

If you're not interested in this topic, how about ignoring it, instead of insulting everyone who is?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
XXIVwin writes, "If an established reporter from and established source, (like Shefter, or Rappaport) reports something as fact, then yes, we can count on that to be true. :redcard:

Boy are you gullible.:baghead:

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
This is the best Rams message board on the internet because most posters are smart enough to not post insults. How about you learn to do the same.

I read Geller's claim that he worked for "CBS Sports" and at first I believed that. But after LoyalRam pointed out the dude was exaggerating his resume, I looked it up as well, and acknowledged I had made a mistake. HOWEVER-- I have to point out that "extreme generalized skepticism" can be a danger, too. If an established reporter from an established source (like Schefter or Rapoport) reports something as fact, then yes, we can count on that to be true.

If you're not interested in this topic, how about ignoring it, instead of insulting everyone who is?

how is it insulting to tell everyone that these reporters are full of shit? Why because you posted it, so it's personal to you? I dunno man it sounds like you're taking this a little serious. I have no beef with you, nor do I care to elaborate further but I can post my opinion that people are wasting their time with these "reporters" and until an actual story breaks with some concrete evidence from a verified source my opinion will remain the same.

Also, it's insulting to tell you not to get your undies in a twist? Really? .... Really.....? Grow some thicker skin my friend this wont be the last time we disagree on something.

:argue:

Status
Not open for further replies.