Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
In this thread, we have covered almost every topic under the sun, except this:

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Is this finally happening? Man this would be the greatest off season ever !

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
In this thread, we have covered almost every topic under the sun, except this:

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
Don't you know that calling yourself a vegetarian is just another way of saying you smoke grass. And we all know that gives you the munchies, which would include animal crackers.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
What if the rams have a deal done already but are telling the media that there is no update because the rams want to wait to spill the news up until a week before the raiders game. This will give Donald enough time to get ready for the game but this won’t give Oakland enough time to get Mack signed so he will still be holding out and most likely miss week one against the rams ?

Yea back in this endless thread I mentioned this was exaclty my thoughts as well. Very smart if true!

Would not be shocked if Mack is traded this year, they just don’t have the funds nor the motivation it seems to sign him anytime soon.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Potential Aaron Donald Deal Will Prevent Rams From Building Defense Long-Term
https://www.12up.com/posts/6154533-...rm?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[nfl]

BY Vincent Velotta26 Aug 2018

Aaron Donald is the best player at his position in the NFL. He may even be the best defensive player in the game today. But his upcoming massive contract with the Rams (holding out works, kids!) could be detrimental to the team in the long run.

Donald's contract is supposedly coming soon, with an annual salary expected to be around $22 million. The problem with that figure is that Los Angeles isn't quite as complete defensively as their flashy names would lead you to believe. Even with the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Marcus Peters, and Aqib Talib joining the fray, that can't patch over a defense that ranked 30th against the run last year with Donald. Once you pay a defensive tackle a hefty sum, it becomes that much harder to pay people to do the jobs that surround him.

When Aaron Donald deal is done (and it's still close), look for $22M per year and as much as $80M fully guaranteed https://t.co/s4mm8OZANk

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) August 26, 2018
This is no secret, however. Looking at past defensive linemen who have signed huge contracts pretty much tells the story of how teams usually fall after handing them out. In recent history, just look at Marcell Dareus and Muhammed Wilkerson, who were handed monumental contracts in the $16-19 million range. Where have the Bills and Jets been in the last few seasons?

Both Buffalo and New York have already had to cut bait on these deals, shipping their problems elsewhere. And, of course, we're forced to remember the ultimate bad DT deal, Albert Haynesworth.

Do the Rams really want to try their luck at this?

Von Miller says Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack “deserve to be the highest-paid defensive player” https://t.co/3AgN9Kbt22 pic.twitter.com/NOeCTSTHNx

— SNF on NBC (@SNFonNBC) August 22, 2018
It certainly looks like they will. With LA re-upping both Todd Gurley and Brandin Cooks this offseason, the money has to stop somewhere. But where will it? The defense? Jared Goff? This is a run defense that already needs reinforcements besides Donald. How can they pull it off?

The plan, if there is one, is yet to be known. While keeping a man like Donald on your team is so clearly enticing, it could come back to bite them.Hopefully, LA can do something while they still have everyone around.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Lazy research. This is what the Rams are doing.

Relatively expensive defensive pieces like Suh and Talib aren't long term fixes here, a year or two at the most. This is likely Lamarcus Joyner's last year here. Rams will use the next couple drafts on O-line and front 7 on defense. They know how to develop safties. Whitworth is prob 1-2 years here max, Noteboom will be there LT of future. Why I am using this 2 year frame is because Goff has 2 more years and an option year and Peters two more years on his deal. Once Donald is locked up, everyone else of significance is also locked up. Jamon Brown and Saffold are also FAs next year, Brown will likely be gone and Saffold will not break the bank.

Rams will have this roster for a couple years and fill in on the young and cheap as they develop guys. When Goff and Peters are due to get paid, they'll have cash freed up from Whitworth, Joyner, Talib and Suh coming off the books.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Looking for input: I'm considering starting a Go Fund Me page to help offset the Rams' cost of signing Donald to a new contract. Anyone willing to ante up?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have a sister...can I sell one of my brother's? Or my wife's?
When you have an outlaw for an inlaw, that's a really great option!
I actually tried sending it off, with the Sister box checked. Well, my sister is such a mess, he rejected the offer.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Looking for input: I'm considering starting a Go Fund Me page to help offset the Rams' cost of signing Donald to a new contract. Anyone willing to ante up?

I've got an Aaron Donald Jersey I'm willing to contribute. Maybe you could sell it to someone who thinks a DT is $25 million a year...

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Sean McVay hopes to see Aaron Donald by end of week

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cvay-hopes-to-see-aaron-donald-by-end-of-week

Aaron Donald is set to play as many preseason snaps as quarterback Jared Goff: zero.

The difference between the two is that the Rams QB has been at practices, while the defensive tackle remains in a protracted holdout.

Rams coach Sean McVay addressed Donald's contract situation on Sunday, noting that it's getting late in the process. The coach said he wouldn't put a hard deadline on Donald needing to return in order to be ready to play Week 1.

"I don't think would be," McVay said, via the team's official website. "But I think in an ideal situation, you get a week and a half, two weeks of preparation.

"[He's] kind of been through a situation like this if he is able to report. But I think for us to be able to fully acclimate him and get him into a spot that would make us feel good about him feeling good some of the things schematically and then also getting the work necessary just from a 'getting your body acclimated to truly playing football,' I'd say you'd like to have him by the end of this week."

McVay mentioning the end of the week is the closest anyone on the team has come to putting a timeframe on negotiations.

Donald held out last offseason and did not report until the day before the Rams' first regular-season game. The 27-year-old sat out the first tilt last year and still earned Defensive Player of the Year honors.

The Rams' brass has continued to express optimism a deal can get done that would make the Donald the highest-paid defender in NFL history. Thus far, however, a bridge remains.

"We'd like to see Aaron here," McVay said. "But if not, if we're not able to, we sure have a lot of confidence in the guys that are here. And [we'll] continue to work with them and know that they'll step up if they have to in his absence."

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Looking at past defensive linemen who have signed huge contracts pretty much tells the story of how teams usually fall after handing them out. In recent history, just look at Marcell Dareus and Muhammed Wilkerson, who were handed monumental contracts in the $16-19 million range. Where have the Bills and Jets been in the last few seasons?

Both Buffalo and New York have already had to cut bait on these deals, shipping their problems elsewhere. And, of course, we're forced to remember the ultimate bad DT deal, Albert Haynesworth.

The difference between those players and Aaron Donald is that they never practiced with knives. :cool:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7Sfjmr2aM

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Potential Aaron Donald Deal Will Prevent Rams From Building Defense Long-Term
https://www.12up.com/posts/6154533-...rm?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[nfl]

BY Vincent Velotta26 Aug 2018

Aaron Donald is the best player at his position in the NFL. He may even be the best defensive player in the game today. But his upcoming massive contract with the Rams (holding out works, kids!) could be detrimental to the team in the long run.

Donald's contract is supposedly coming soon, with an annual salary expected to be around $22 million. The problem with that figure is that Los Angeles isn't quite as complete defensively as their flashy names would lead you to believe. Even with the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Marcus Peters, and Aqib Talib joining the fray, that can't patch over a defense that ranked 30th against the run last year with Donald. Once you pay a defensive tackle a hefty sum, it becomes that much harder to pay people to do the jobs that surround him.

When Aaron Donald deal is done (and it's still close), look for $22M per year and as much as $80M fully guaranteed https://t.co/s4mm8OZANk

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) August 26, 2018
This is no secret, however. Looking at past defensive linemen who have signed huge contracts pretty much tells the story of how teams usually fall after handing them out. In recent history, just look at Marcell Dareus and Muhammed Wilkerson, who were handed monumental contracts in the $16-19 million range. Where have the Bills and Jets been in the last few seasons?

Do the Rams really want to try their luck at this?

Von Miller says Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack “deserve to be the highest-paid defensive player” https://t.co/3AgN9Kbt22 pic.twitter.com/NOeCTSTHNx

— SNF on NBC (@SNFonNBC) August 22, 2018
It certainly looks like they will. With LA re-upping both Todd Gurley and Brandin Cooks this offseason, the money has to stop somewhere. But where will it? The defense? Jared Goff? This is a run defense that already needs reinforcements besides Donald. How can they pull it off?

The plan, if there is one, is yet to be known. While keeping a man like Donald on your team is so clearly enticing, it could come back to bite them.Hopefully, LA can do something while they still have everyone around.

The thing is players will accept less money to play with AD. We saw that with Suh. I don't know if any vet took less money to play with Marcell Dareus, Muhammed Wilkerson, or Albert Haynesworth. The money saved in signing other players, who take less to play with AD, should probably be considered in the fan fixation with AD's cap hit.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is players will accept less money to play with
AD. We saw that with Suh.

After being cut too late in the offseason to get a mega contract, Suh apparently took slightly less for one year to put himself into position for a much larger mega contract next offseason. I don't expect that to be a regular thing. And of course - will the Rams be in a position to only offer slightly less than other teams over the next few years?

Much like AD wants to get as much money as possible, most other players are like that too.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Talking heads automaticly assume Suh is here for just one year. But if you have listened to Suh, you get the impression he has gotten his money (from Detroit and Miami), and now wants to play for a team where he likes the organization, HC and teammates and want to be on a perennial winner. There's more than a good chance Suh resigns with the Rams and could even finnish his career here.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What are we thinking? Thursday?

I’ll be checking the internet like an 8th grade schoolgirl every hour anyway, but I’m thinking Thursday.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Talking heads automaticly assume Suh is here for just one year. But if you have listened to Suh, you get the impression he has gotten his money (from Detroit and Miami), and now wants to play for a team where he likes the organization, HC and teammates and want to be on a perennial winner. There's more than a good chance Suh resigns with the Rams and could even finnish his career here.

At some point, you would think players start thinking legacy. Titles are a factor when it comes to things like the HOF, endorsement deals, etc. And playing next to AD is going to be the easiest way to rack up stats for a guy like Suh.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I don't expect that to be a regular thing.
Nick Fairley too, and to a lesser extent Easley, which, granted, hasn't panned out, yet.
Patriots have historically rounded out their roster with discount priced ring chasers, like Chris Long -- it can be a regular thing, and works in other cap sports too.

Status
Not open for further replies.