Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram65

Legend
I’m not disagreeing with them at all. Like I stated there isn’t cap space this year so there isn’t room for signing bonuses to hit this year like Ryan’s deal. He’s going to play this year with his current cap hit. They’ve said all along there was cap space for AD, they just never said what year they were talking about.

If they redo his contract this year then the signing bonus has to take effect this year.

His salary is 6.892 Million this year 2018. Keeping his cap hit at the same.

Let's say the Rams give him a 4 year extension at 88 Million. Let's divide his signing bonus into 5 years. Say it is 25 Million signing bonus. That would be 5 Million a year so this year he counts the 5 Million against the cap as signing bonus and the remainder as salary of 1.892 Million. He gets 25 Million up front. I guess they could give him 30 Million signing bonus counting 6 Million a year with .892 Million as salary.

Separately, The Rams could convert money from 2018 salaries to signing bonus like the Eagles did to give them more cap space to up Donalds cap hit this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-contract-restructuring-takes-advantage-of-loophole-2013-2

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i couldn't imagine the rams without ad. i wish we knew how much money he is asking to get. if it's unrealistic it will be easier to turn the page. i can think of no other reason he hasn't been signed yet.

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
I'm not a NFL business guru, in fact I know little. That being said why are we dragging our feet on signing one of the five best players in the NFL?

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
Also, could he sit out the season? Would he be a free agent and could sign with someone else? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Sign him or trade him. It’s that simple. The only thing I’m not ok with is him playing this season and we let him walk for nothing.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Maybe we all need to agree to take a friendly break from writing on AD99 until he signs his deal. Its going to happen folks. And I'm betting before the end of the pre season to boot. Just my 2 cents worth

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe we all need to agree to take a friendly break from writing on AD99 until he signs his deal. Its going to happen folks. And I'm betting before the end of the pre season to boot. Just my 2 cents worth
Good plan, we just can't stop people from panicking or worrying over something they have no control over :)

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I mean, crap....
tumblr_m06x9eD1Xt1qfc86g.gif

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nforms-los-angeles-rams-attend-voluntary-otas

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cornerback Marcus Peters is new to the Los Angeles Rams but has quickly developed an opinion on defensive tackle Aaron Donald's contract situation.

"Pay the man," Peters said Monday after the Rams' first organized team activities workout.

Donald, a four-time Pro Bowler and reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, did not report for voluntary OTAs on Monday because of an ongoing contract dispute. Rams coach Sean McVay said that he doesn't anticipate seeing Donald until a resolution is reached.

"It is something that we want to get resolved," McVay said. "As far as a timetable, don't really have any dates on that."

Donald, who turns 27 on Wednesday, is entering the fifth year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to earn $6.89 million, but he is seeking to become one of the highest-paid players in the league.

The Rams' defense underwent significant changes this offseason to better accommodate defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme. Outside linebacker Robert Quinn was traded to the Miami Dolphins, and linebacker Alec Ogletree was dealt to the New York Giants.

The Rams acquired Peters in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs and cornerback Aqib Talib in a trade with the Denver Broncos. Defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh signed as a free agent.

Ellard80

Legend
Aaron Donald is one of the best players in all the NFL - but outside the quarterback position I just can't see the wisdom in giant contracts that cripple the team.

I hold out hope that they somehow can keep him... but all the aggressive free agent spending made me wonder if they really had any plans of sighing him long term.

As a few people mentioned earlier in this thread ... someday we likely are going to have to pay Goff.

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I'm not a NFL business guru, in fact I know little. That being said why are we dragging our feet on signing one of the five best players in the NFL?
Because he is already under contract. If/when the Rams re-sign him he will be one of the highest paid players in the game, offense and defense. Both sides know AD is going to be rich.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nforms-los-angeles-rams-attend-voluntary-otas

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cornerback Marcus Peters is new to the Los Angeles Rams but has quickly developed an opinion on defensive tackle Aaron Donald's contract situation.

"Pay the man," Peters said Monday after the Rams' first organized team activities workout.

Donald, a four-time Pro Bowler and reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, did not report for voluntary OTAs on Monday because of an ongoing contract dispute. Rams coach Sean McVay said that he doesn't anticipate seeing Donald until a resolution is reached.

"It is something that we want to get resolved," McVay said. "As far as a timetable, don't really have any dates on that."

Donald, who turns 27 on Wednesday, is entering the fifth year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to earn $6.89 million, but he is seeking to become one of the highest-paid players in the league.

The Rams' defense underwent significant changes this offseason to better accommodate defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme. Outside linebacker Robert Quinn was traded to the Miami Dolphins, and linebacker Alec Ogletree was dealt to the New York Giants.

The Rams acquired Peters in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs and cornerback Aqib Talib in a trade with the Denver Broncos. Defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh signed as a free agent.
Marcus Peters should worry about Marcus Peters. I hope he doesn't become a clubhouse lawyer.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Salary Cap
Not really. The Rams have $60 million in cap room in 2019 and could sign Donald to a contract extension starting in 2019 if both sides can agree on contract amount, guaranteed amount and length. It was rumored about a year ago that Donald wanted an "opt-out" clause in his contract, which would be the first of its kind in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.