A word about this Rams D vs the Packers...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Winning at the LOS on both sides is the key to every game, so this goes without saying, but we must win on both sides.

Rodgers season is even crazier when you realize how bad his game was against the Bucs - if you take that game away he would have beaten his own NFL record for best passer rating in a season.

He hasn't seen a defense like ours but we haven't seen an offense like theirs.

And I keep saying this, but Jalen Ramsey and Adams (or Metcalf) are both elite players - Ramsey has shut down elite WRs all year. He's sort of due to get beaten badly by someone. Law of averages type thing in my mind.

Have to hope we're the more physical team on both sides of the ball, only way to overcome the QB discrepancy here.

tempests

Hall of Fame
This D is the best Rodgers has faced, but Rodgers is also the best QB this D has faced.

He always knows where the open man is and is so good at moving defensive backs with his eyes. Need to get pressure with their front four because blitzing him is ineffective.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well if there is one thing going for us is that LaFleur was with us when Fangio and Staley shut down our power house offense which led to the Patriots using the same formula. Staley knows how to defend against that offense. Have to stay disciplined and not do what happened against Seattle when DBs broke coverage and left Young and Reeder chasing Metcalf into the endzone.
unfortunately I consider GB a complete offense, one that can pass and run. Shutting down one might not acoplish the same results. I'm just wondering if Staley is going to be up to the challenge. I have no doubt our players on D are great but bad play calls could make it all come crashing down.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Please remember Staley used to play Rodgers twice a year so he has got to know him well. Granted in the Mccarthy regime they played each other.

Also the OL is without their best OLman LT Bakhtieri a probowler.
good point on their LT being out, I forgot about that

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Dont forget about Aaron Jones. Carson had a decent game against us and Jones is better.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We will need to score at least 30 to win this one.

I would say the other way. Rams need to score at least 27 IMO. I think we can frustrate Rodgers and contain him but he has been off the charts great this year. Packers will still score so we need to keep up and let the D finish them off.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our defense is capable of completely dismantling the Packers' offense. It's not likely but I could see it happening if they stuff the run game. Our coverage/rush combo is nasty just hope from there Rodgers doesn't go freak mode like he can.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our defense is capable of completely dismantling the Packers' offense. It's not likely but I could see it happening if they stuff the run game. Our coverage/rush combo is nasty just hope from there Rodgers doesn't go freak mode like he can.

I could see anything from that to a replay of the Bills performance by our d. Rodgers is just by far the best in the NFL. Scary

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Gonna come down to GB running game, which I think we win that matchup and GB quick passing game. AD has been neutralized before with quick passing game. Weather is not set for it, but if GB executes really quick, no huddle passing, it will be a hard matchup for us, unless we press hard and use first 5 yard contact like a blind man in a strip club.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Green Bay runs our offense. So the first thing you do is remove the run game. If we give Aaron Rodgers a run game we are fucked.
I'm not sure that I agree with daring Aaron Rodgers to beat us. He is smart enough to and capable of exploiting a loaded box.. I think the formula is the same as it was vs the hawks. Ball control. Keep the ball away from Aaron rodgers...especially if we can manage a lead where the run game is off the table for green Bay. Then we dont have to worry about stacking the box, we can rush 4 (and get pressure) and keep 7 in coverage. I think against green bay that eye discipline in the LB/DB group is key. Trust the DL and don't bite hard on PA. Cover your assignments. If they do this then ARod gets flustered early.

On obvious run downs, I would use a variation of the personel that bellichek employed. I'd use 4 down linemen with Floyd standing to set the edge first and rush second. Instruct the dline to shoot the gaps vertically. One lb over the top in man against the RB. This gives you 5 dbs to scheme with (respecting Aaron Rodgers presence) tell the safety(s) to spy the QB. If it's PA then they do their thing in coverage. Don't trust ARods eyes/head, he uses them against the safety like a true pro. Instead, trust the technique in coverage and film prep of the route combos that GB tends to run in down/distance/game situations.

Then again. I'm just an armchair qb who's knowledge compares to that of a fruit fly.
This fruit fly is still entitled to his opinion lol

Here, Jared Goff IS the system (McVays words).

In Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers IS the system.

2 different QB's; 2 different systems; 2 (at the least) different ways to gameplan for them.

Last edited:

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Gonna come down to GB running game, which I think we win that matchup and GB quick passing game. AD has been neutralized before with quick passing game. Weather is not set for it, but if GB executes really quick, no huddle passing, it will be a hard matchup for us, unless we press hard and use first 5 yard contact like a blind man in a strip club.
Cover 2/3/6 press.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Staley loved game planning vs Brady and I'm sure he's feeling the same with Rodgers. He has Packers familiarity on his side. I have trust in the D but like others have said the O can not turn the ball over. If Goff is playing he cannot force passes under a heavy rush. Eat it or toss it away and know when to get out of the pocket or tuck it down if needed. He needs to make quicker decisions surveying the field. A change of possession beats a turnover every time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see anything from that to a replay of the Bills performance by our d. Rodgers is just by far the best in the NFL. Scary
What is in our favor here is our secondary is far more disciplined than they were early season when we played Buffalo. They are the kind of unit you need vs a Hall of Fame QB playing at his peak in the playoffs.

If the Rams don't win early and often in the trenches the QB difference will be too much to overcome.

Ellard80

Legend
Aaron Rodgers is probably the MVP- he has been playing at an Elite level, especially the 2nd half of the season.

If the game is a shootout we will lose - that's not our thing this year.

If we can run the ball.. make it hard for him on defense and hold them to some FG's we can certainly win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My concern would be how well can Staley's play calling work against GB and Rodgers. Against Seattle, Staley had the upper hand because the OC was trash. Against someone like SF's Shanahan he got burned. I'm hoping for Staley to have his best day yet because our Offense is going to need it.

Shanahan got us in the first game (which was during the first six weeks when Staley was still implementing his scheme), but he didn't burn us in the second. Our turnovers burned us in the second game. We held SF's running game and passing game in check. It was the pick six and four total TOs that allowed SF to put up points. Plus, Ramsey was injured and wasn't being used to blanket Samuel. Now, Green Bay is significantly better than SF, but Kyle Shanahan is a better offensive mind than LaFleur imo. Let's not forget that we gave that high-powered TB offense all sorts of problems too.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm not worried about this defense neutralizing the Packers offense; how the Rams offense fares against this Packers defense is gonna determine the outcome of this game in my opinion.