5 biggest rule change proposals for 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Some of these should be reviewable, but it changes the way the game is ref'd. If you make personal fouls reviewable, the refs will call everything and then fix it on review. You can't decouple the two which is a shame because it prevents you from making a couple of good rule changes.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The success rate of the onside kick has dropped to 2% or something, so that has to change.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If I were King of the NFL... I would instantly make EVERYTHING reviewable. I would increase the amount of challenges given to each team as well. It can't be unlimited challenges... but an increase is definitely needed.

Technology gives us the ability to get these calls correct... I think that is more important than any possible perceived negative to the reviews.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If I were King of the NFL... I would instantly make EVERYTHING reviewable. I would increase the amount of challenges given to each team as well. It can't be unlimited challenges... but an increase is definitely needed.

Technology gives us the ability to get these calls correct... I think that is more important than any possible perceived negative to the reviews.
What if you didn't increase the number of challenges, but kept them linked to available timeouts as they are now, but then allowed challenges on non calls?

Just a thought, I've always entertained the thought of allowing a challenge for non calls. That would be the only way to quantify how subjective the calls/non-calls actually are. Two additional input sources (staff assigned by each team) would help with enforcing accountability for officiating.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

Just how many commercials did you want me to sit through?!:sleepz:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Just how many commercials did you want me to sit through?!:sleepz:

They do provide me enough time to hit the head and fill up my glass... I need these breaks in the action. Seriously. LOL

I've recently started watching soccer. They have zero commercials during each half. I swear, it seems like every single time I jump away from the game for just a minute... I miss the only goal scored in the game.

Commercials are needed and are our friend. I never knew that until I started watching soccer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nge-that-competition-committee-seems-to-like/

NFL owners will vote on wild fourth quarter rule change that competition committee seems to like

When the NFL's 32 owners get together in Arizona next week, they'll be voting on a total of 16 possible rule changes for 2019, and although most of the proposals are related to instant replay, there is one wild proposal on the table that would potentially add some serious excitement to the fourth quarter of every NFL game next season.

The Broncos have proposed a rule that would give teams an alternative option to the onside kick. Instead of trying to recover an onside kick, teams would have the option of attempting to convert a fourth-and-15 play from their own 35-yard line. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team would take over possession from wherever the play ended.

Although NFL owners don't generally approve dramatic rule changes -- the Colts' nine-point touchdown proposal got shot down in 2015 -- the proposal from Denver might actually have a chance to pass and that's because it seems to have some support from the competition committee. According to NFL.com, the proposal from the Broncos "generated a lot of interest" from the committee and multiple members view it as a potentially "fun option" for teams.

One reason the committee likes the idea is because the success rate for onside kick rates has fallen dramatically under the NFL's new kickoff rules, which were implemented in 2018. Under the new rules, players aren't allowed to get a running start, which makes it almost impossible to recover an onside kick. The onside recovery rate was just 7.5 percent in 2018 (4 of 53), which was a dramatic decrease over the 21.7 percent recovery rate from 2017 (13 of 60), when the running start was still permitted.

The committee seems to believe that making the Broncos' proposal an actual rule would add some excitement to the fourth quarter. The reason the rule would only add excitement to the game's final quarter is because the proposal comes with one catch: a team would only be allowed to attempt the fourth-and-15 play once per game, and they'd also only be allowed to attempt it in the fourth quarter.

The play could be attempted after any score, including a touchdown or a field goal. A team could also attempt the fourth-and-15 after giving up a safety. Regular onside kicks could still be attempted at any point in the game as well.

If you're wondering how exactly the play would be officiated, all normal rules would apply, so if a defense got called for defensive holding, the five-yard penalty would result in an automatic first down for the offense. Also, if the offense got penalized, they wouldn't be allowed to then kickoff after the penalty is enforced. They'd have to run a fourth-down play from their new line of scrimmage.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's probably because the Alliance of America Football instituted a similar rule for its inaugural season. In the AAF, instead of an onside kick, teams are allowed to try and convert a fourth-and-12 play from their own 28 after scoring. The catch in the AAF is that a team is only allowed exercise this option if a they're trailing by 17 or more points or if they're trailing with under five minutes left in the game.

The first ever onside conversion attempt was a wild success in the AAF earlier this year.

View: https://twitter.com/theaaf/status/1099819776849965056?s=21

AAF teams are a combined 1 for 3 on the conversion attempts this year.

As for the Broncos' proposal, the NFL's owners will be voting on it at some point during their annual league meeting, which runs from March 24-27. If 24 of the league's 32 owners approve the rule change, then it would take effect for 2019. To take a look at all the main rules that are being voted on this year, be sure to click here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t like the 4th and 15 option, just doesn’t seem like it’s part of the game.
Seems that the team winning the game is at a bit of a disadvantage in that situation. The defense had just been on the field and now has to go back out and defend another play?
At least in the kickoff situation the team leading gets to put a fresh team out there to prevent the success.
So at the very least, if they are going to make it an option, let it be part of the game. Don’t put limitations on it. If a team wants to take the risk, they should have the same opportunity in the 1st quarter as they have in the 4th.
Teams defer recieving the kickoff to 2nd half routinely now, would be ballsy for a team to open the 2nd half opting for the 4th and 15 instead of kicking off.
Let it be part of the game

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OR....

teams can get their shit together and beat their damn opponents.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like it.

There's so much wrong with the onside kick that it's unsalvageable.

I like the 4th and 12 much more than the 4th and 15. I think there's a massive difference between 12 and 15 yards on a single play, but I'd take either of the idiocy of the onside kick. Jmho

RamnSD

Rookie
Name
RamnSD
I think that the best overtime plan is the one that the NCAA uses. This is the one where both teams get the ball at the 35 and have four chances to score or get a first down. Interestingly this is called the 'Kansas Plan'. I think a lot of people would like this since it leads to a lot of clutch scoring.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There's so much wrong with the onside kick that it's unsalvageable.

Man @Mackeyser we rarely disagree but IMO the OSK is one of the most fun plays for fans watching the game.

Go to any game party when the game is on the line and an OSK is most certainly coming and EVERYONE will be in front of the TV and not in the kitchen or milling around. It can be a game changing play and help snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

IhatetosaythisbutIamstartingtothinkyoudon'tknowshitaboutfootball. :neener:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Both teams should have the opportunity to possess the ball in OT.

As far as onside kicks. The new kick off rules make them almost impossible for a kicking team to recover anyway.
I like the onside kick, but it is now useless.

Last edited:

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake

That sounds wonderful, but then the game would be even longer than it should. I can't stand the amount of commercial breaks we get, this would add even more.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Man @Mackeyser we rarely disagree but IMO the OSK is one of the most fun plays for fans watching the game.

Go to any game party when the game is on the line and an OSK is most certainly coming and EVERYONE will be in front of the TV and not in the kitchen or milling around. It can be a game changing play and help snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

IhatetosaythisbutIamstartingtothinkyoudon'tknowshitaboutfootball. :neener:
Hey Les, I’m with Mac on this one.

Yes, the OSK has been an integral part of the game, and always a really exciting play......until 2018. In 2018, OSK attempts failed 48 out of 52 times. That’s way worse than previous seasons.

The new KO rules killed the OSK. (Mainly, mandate that 5 guys on either side of the kicker, and no running head start).

Here’s an article about why the OSK is now an exercise in futility:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nside-kicks-have-nearly-disappeared/38584697/

The new KO rules vastly reduced concussions, so they’re here to stay. But given that the new KO rules have severely limited the options for a successful OSK, I’m in favor of trying the 4th and 15 option. Sounds like 31 out of 32 owners want to try it, too. I think it’ll make for an exciting way to give a team a chance at a miracle comeback.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That sounds wonderful, but then the game would be even longer than it should. I can't stand the amount of commercial breaks we get, this would add even more.

I don't mind the thought of extra time/commercial breaks... that would give me added opportunities for bathroom breaks and drink refills. It would be a win/win in my opinion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nge-that-competition-committee-seems-to-like/

NFL owners will vote on wild fourth quarter rule change that competition committee seems to like

When the NFL's 32 owners get together in Arizona next week, they'll be voting on a total of 16 possible rule changes for 2019, and although most of the proposals are related to instant replay, there is one wild proposal on the table that would potentially add some serious excitement to the fourth quarter of every NFL game next season.

The Broncos have proposed a rule that would give teams an alternative option to the onside kick. Instead of trying to recover an onside kick, teams would have the option of attempting to convert a fourth-and-15 play from their own 35-yard line. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team would take over possession from wherever the play ended.

Although NFL owners don't generally approve dramatic rule changes -- the Colts' nine-point touchdown proposal got shot down in 2015 -- the proposal from Denver might actually have a chance to pass and that's because it seems to have some support from the competition committee. According to NFL.com, the proposal from the Broncos "generated a lot of interest" from the committee and multiple members view it as a potentially "fun option" for teams.

One reason the committee likes the idea is because the success rate for onside kick rates has fallen dramatically under the NFL's new kickoff rules, which were implemented in 2018. Under the new rules, players aren't allowed to get a running start, which makes it almost impossible to recover an onside kick. The onside recovery rate was just 7.5 percent in 2018 (4 of 53), which was a dramatic decrease over the 21.7 percent recovery rate from 2017 (13 of 60), when the running start was still permitted.

The committee seems to believe that making the Broncos' proposal an actual rule would add some excitement to the fourth quarter. The reason the rule would only add excitement to the game's final quarter is because the proposal comes with one catch: a team would only be allowed to attempt the fourth-and-15 play once per game, and they'd also only be allowed to attempt it in the fourth quarter.

The play could be attempted after any score, including a touchdown or a field goal. A team could also attempt the fourth-and-15 after giving up a safety. Regular onside kicks could still be attempted at any point in the game as well.

If you're wondering how exactly the play would be officiated, all normal rules would apply, so if a defense got called for defensive holding, the five-yard penalty would result in an automatic first down for the offense. Also, if the offense got penalized, they wouldn't be allowed to then kickoff after the penalty is enforced. They'd have to run a fourth-down play from their new line of scrimmage.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's probably because the Alliance of America Football instituted a similar rule for its inaugural season. In the AAF, instead of an onside kick, teams are allowed to try and convert a fourth-and-12 play from their own 28 after scoring. The catch in the AAF is that a team is only allowed exercise this option if a they're trailing by 17 or more points or if they're trailing with under five minutes left in the game.

The first ever onside conversion attempt was a wild success in the AAF earlier this year.

View: https://twitter.com/theaaf/status/1099819776849965056?s=21

AAF teams are a combined 1 for 3 on the conversion attempts this year.

As for the Broncos' proposal, the NFL's owners will be voting on it at some point during their annual league meeting, which runs from March 24-27. If 24 of the league's 32 owners approve the rule change, then it would take effect for 2019. To take a look at all the main rules that are being voted on this year, be sure to click here.

not a fan of this at all. it severely disadvantages the defense. they were just on the field and they want them to go straight back out and defend again without a break. and if they give a receiver a little tug they leave themselves open to a dpi or holding call.

horrible this idea.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
No. More. Replay. Just stop with trying to get everything effing perfect. Stop it.

Less BS for refs to watch for. Simplify things for them and make sure you have an eye on the viewability of the product, i.e. more stoppages and face time for refs is a bad thing for the league.
I agree , when has a refs judgemnt call on holding or PI ever been reversed?

Just stupid, it's a sport, its not perfect and never will be.

This whole micromanaging the refs idea is a joke and only makes referees question themselves