5 biggest rule change proposals for 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I don't like the 4&15, particularly allowing it for a team that just gave up a safety. They should have to continue to kick it back to the other team where their offense should have a short field. It severely devalues the only non-turnover scoring play the defense can make.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like the 4&15, particularly allowing it for a team that just gave up a safety. They should have to continue to kick it back to the other team where their offense should have a short field. It severely devalues the only non-turnover scoring play the defense can make.
You can currently kick an on sides kick after a safety, but nobody ever does. Why wouldn't you at least keep the rule consistent?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What if you didn't increase the number of challenges, but kept them linked to available timeouts as they are now, but then allowed challenges on non calls?
This here. Give HC's the choice to review everything, but limit their chances so we don't get a stop in play on every series.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This seems like a a contradiction within a sentence. Will you please run that by me again?
Same system that's already in place now (two or three red challenge flags at the HC's disposal and timeouts can be taken away if challenge fails) except that the HC can now throw that red flag on basically any type of play or situation. Personal fouls, clock issues, holding etc.

Use them or lose them but use them very WISELY.

nimite

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
clearly a dangerous move but difficult to avoid

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Man @Mackeyser we rarely disagree but IMO the OSK is one of the most fun plays for fans watching the game.

Go to any game party when the game is on the line and an OSK is most certainly coming and EVERYONE will be in front of the TV and not in the kitchen or milling around. It can be a game changing play and help snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

IhatetosaythisbutIamstartingtothinkyoudon'tknowshitaboutfootball. :neener:

Nah, it's cool.

I just don't like that play anymore. They've changed it so that short of the receiving team not having a good hands team on the field, it's almost impossible to recover now. The overload that used to be allowed really increased the chances and made it a more interesting play, but also a much more dangerous play.

I think there are plenty of opportunities for STs to shine while eliminating a play that they've basically iterated via rule changes into a boring play that doesn't really have much chance of success.

My point was that while it was an interesting play, it was also too dangerous. When they removed the danger, they also removed the reasonable chance for success which makes it a play that's either boring or gives the refs yet another opportunity to completely freak up a game with some BS call that's totally inconsistent with how the rest of the game was called, leaving players, coaches and fans confused as hell and resentful.

I'd rather the league focus on getting the focus back on the game.

I'm glad they put safety first for players. The OSK is a play that's suffered for it and there seems to be no way to balance safety with a play that gives the kicking team a reasonable if lower chance to recover and create more drama.

OSKs used to be super interesting, but then again, I wasn't one of 4 or 5 guys having to fight off 8-9 guys for the ball, so there's that...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The game was already hard to watch with all the flags . That rule has nothing to do with safety so I don't like it .
Way to go Robey . :hiding:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

now coaches will always keep a challenge for the end of the game in case they need a hail mary dpi or opi. will they judge the plays on replay like they do live or will any tug be deemed pass interference?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
One more reason to throw the ball rather than run.

I could see the refs throwing more flags because then it can be reversed whereas a non-call will still draw attention.

Because it only says the infractions are reviewable, this seems like the same spirit as the "down by contact" rule where if there's a question about a fumble, they let it play out and THEN sort it out so that a successful pickup of a fumble doesn't bring back a touchdown.

In this case, I could see tons of normally contested balls called for interference so that they can review it.

It's BS.

They could just allow the booth in NY, with the benefit of a GAJILLION video feeds to call penalties or overrule them.

They'd just be the "eye in the sky" as the 8th official as well as video arbiter. Also, the no on field judge should have his head in some hood to determine the outcome of a call. They ALREADY have guys with all the vantage points in front of monitors.

Not saying to remove refs from the field, but they're terribly underutilizing the ability to call and review calls from NY and that's a shame, because in doing that, they're forced to keep making tweaks that mess with the flow of the game.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

D5668B53-F60B-4192-883E-836FBEEF6EC2.jpeg