3 Players Who Need To Step Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know who needs to step up, but somebody does.

What I mean is one main ingredient that this team seems to lack is a guy that can get players fired up. A vocal leader or a guy who can hold others accountable. This defense needs a Rey Lewis, and the offense needs a Marshall Faulk or a Peyton Manning.

The team has a lot of nice players that make plays but I wish they had a guy they could rally around, especially when a big play is needed or a big stop. I know that J/L is supposedly the leader of the D but I don't see him getting them fired up.

I hope someone emerges at least on one side of the ball, but both sides would be even better.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are definitely in an interesting situation.

We know it won't happen, but if this team stayed completely healthy for the entire season, we'd be superbowl contenders. No doubt in my mind.

So the question becomes: who can we afford to lose, within reason, and still be successful? I think we are reasonably in position to withstand injuries to: S, CB, OL, DL, and WR - reasonably meaning losing one starter at a time. The most detrimental loss would be Foles, as we have seen over the past few years. As far as "stepping up", I think there are several guys who will naturally progress. AO, TA, SB, BQ, AD, TM, GRob, B Jones, JJ, TJ, EJ G, L Joyner - this is a young ascending team that will be ready to absolutely dominate teams this year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
[av]http://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/sound-effects/star-trek/tos/music/Suspense_04.mp3[/av]

I love that. Soon as I heard that, I totally knew it was from the Star Trek series. (y)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The BS ESPN one or the more traditional passer rating? The more traditional passer rating:
Davis 85.1
Hill 83.9
Foles 81.4

Foles and Davis had identical TD% and identical INT% (to one decimal place at least), Foles had a higher yards per completion, but completed less of his attempts so an identical yards per attempt. Hill was better than both in INT% and yards per attempt, but worse than both in TD%.
That's frightening

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think the offense needs more playmakers and leadership. Saffold appeared to step up in a leadership role last season as well as Britt to some extent, but it'd be a good idea for Foles to step up in that mold.

Gurley can be a dynamic player, same with T.Austin, so there are possibilities there.

RamWoodie

Legend
(1) Please don't kill me fans of JL . I've felt your wrath before . I just want JL to stay healthy and make the coaches not want to draft his replacement next draft and start the rookie as we had a shot at a few pretty good picks like Perryman and the UCLA short but stud ILB's . If healthy the whole year maybe JL can be more athletic for us. We have his great leadership but we need some Flash. Not holding my breath.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say but they way you presented it makes me think you don't rank JL as a top LB! Ray Lewis types don't grow on trees. MLB is a wear and tear position. JL is going into his eight year and a coaching staff that's not looking for a backup after 7 years is asleep at the switch.

JL has been VERY SOLID as the MLB...that's all you want...anything over that is gravy!

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but they way you presented it makes me think you don't rank JL as a top LB! Ray Lewis types don't grow on trees. MLB is a wear and tear position. JL is going into his eight year and a coaching staff that's not looking for a backup after 7 years is asleep at the switch.

JL has been VERY SOLID as the MLB...that's all you want...anything over that is gravy!
I think Fisher still has nightmares about missing out on the seahags LB that we have to face twice a year. He over thought the situation and whiffed on THE GUY who makes such a difference for them. Bobby Wagoner is probably gonna make 8 mill. a year on his new contract and what are we due to pay JL next season? Taiwan Jones from Mich. St went undrafted and we could have brought him along as great depth we are missing if JL goes down. I know Luke Keukly's don't grow on tree's but we did'nt take one of the many ILB thumpers this draft was so deep in and did'nt try(hard enough) to bring Jones in as a FA.
I think its time to have JL's replacement on the team as his money gets interesting and he played every game last year but was hurt ALL year and it showed. We need more speed at his spot and someone else on the team needs to Step Up in a Leadership role as we can't pay JL just to call GW's "D" on the field as McDonald called the "D" at USC and is super smart and can do it for us. With a D line like ours our LB's like Ayers should be raking in sacks like fish in a barrel. I'm sure that and Ayers ability in covering a TE we have been lacking . Just want a hole plugger that is more consistent on the big backs like McMurray and lynch and the like.
Not wanting to start ww3 again please. I'm gonna worry about getting 5 men to play together on our O-Line this season first and nit pick later about C. Longs and JL's replacements. Need some guys to step up and be team keaders as these two may be gone in a couple.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My top 3 are all OL...

1. GRob. Locking down Foles' blindside is going to be huge for him to have the confidence to play like he did in 2013.

2. Saffold. He needs to stay healthy, and raise the bar to play a full season at the Pro Bowl level he has flashed. Him killing it on the interior is huge for Foles stepping up in the pocket, huge for the running game, and huge for the kids that will be playing to either side of him.

3. Havenstein. Rams can mix and match all they want on the interior but if this guy can lock down RT it will be critical to the success of the team this season. He's extremely important and if he can step up and in along with the above stepping up this line is gonna be set.
I totally agree.

The entire Oline has got to step up or the offense will struggle IMO... Foles will struggle... Gurley, Mason, etc. Quick (if he's 100%), Britt, Austin... Bailey... Cook... Kendricks.

Point being, if that line can't provide decent protection for Foles and open up holes for the RBs, the whole thing kind of disintegrates.

I'm really not very concerned about the defense... yes, some of the guys need to become more disciplined (I'm looking at you, Jenkins)... and they have got to get off to a solid start.
But the pieces are there for the most part and most of those pieces are proven.

It's that Oline... IMO, so much of the season rests on those men's shoulders.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
For the Rams to make the playoffs (imo)

Nick Foles - If he repeats last season (186-311 (59.8%), 2163 yards, 13 TDs, 10 INTs, 81.4 passer rating) then we can kiss the playoffs and any hope of a winning season goodbye. The good news is that he's shown that he can do it, with his Pro Bowl 2013 season, but the big question is was that a fluke?

Greg Robinson - If we are going to field such a young OL we need one of the guys with actual NFL experience to be an anchor for us, that will require a massive leap for Robinson, but one that I believe (or maybe it's just hope :unsure:) he's capable of.

Alec Ogletree - When Ogletree has a positive game (per PFF) the Rams allow 10 points per game, when he scores negatively they allow 24 points per game coincidence? Most likely. However the point remains that he's a vital part of this D who was disappointing at times last season and was slow out of the starting gates, he needs to hit the ground running next year and show his Pro Bowl potential for this D to really shine.

So who are your 3 guys? Do you agree with me? Am I just an idiot who's really board this Sunday afternoon without any Rams football to keep me entertained :(?

Great picks, I would throw Tavon Austin in there as well as a rookie olineman. I guess my point is we may need 5 to step up lol.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great picks, I would throw Tavon Austin in there as well as a rookie olineman. I guess my point is we may need 5 to step up lol.

I think Tavon needs to step up to avoid being a bust, but I'm not sure he's that important to the season, assuming Quick comes back healthy, with Quick, Britt and Bailey as the top 3 I think Austin can continue to be the gadget/punt returner we've seen so far and the team would be successful.

Didn't want to include any rookies.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think Tavon needs to step up to avoid being a bust, but I'm not sure he's that important to the season, assuming Quick comes back healthy, with Quick, Britt and Bailey as the top 3 I think Austin can continue to be the gadget/punt returner we've seen so far and the team would be successful.

Didn't want to include any rookies.

I am concerned about Quick. Im not convinced he is going to be the same player. From what I have heard the shoulder was pretty bad. As for Austin, he can/should be a game changer. He is a top 10 pick because he can score from anywhere on the field. With our offense next year you still need an element of explosion. Pound, pound, pound is good, but its great when you can break a team down with a big play (TD)after running it down their throats for a while.

If you expect Foles to step up, a receiver is going to have to step up also. I like our WR's but there is not a real game changer yet. Quick could be that guy assuming health and Austin is the other guy. I would prefer Austin be more than a gadget guy if possible. He is too explosive, he needs more touches

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Refresh my mind please Mac, is he a SS or a FS type?
Don't cry Alan, I see Bryant as a FS-Type....he's all over the field on several films, and is a leader of men....You'd like him...I promise...Not sure if he's healthy.

I think its time to have JL's replacement on the team
They do, Alec Ogletree is a MLB...If he can call the plays...Bryce Hagar can really run...Well let me re-state something, Tree should be the MLB...

3 players....
Barrett Jones, it's about time he do something! Shit, or get off the pot...if not go with Rhaney...maybe Barnes...#1 job of importance on this teams offense...
Nick Foles...if he plays like last year, look for 6-10, 7-9 type record...dude completed 59% of his passes...6+ yards a completion...garbage....
Cook....best offensive weapon on the team (eff Tavon, still remember all his drops, and I think he's scared to go across the middle. I think all the runs are to toughen him up...we'll see how thats working). Until Cook realizes his immense potential, this offense will lag...

I have so much faith in Coach Boo, he'll get this o-line together...or that's at least what I'm supposed to say...He has more talent than ever, and no FA retreads and the "street FA types" expected to start...I'd cut the ones we have left today if I could...Mason, Quick, Gurley, Britt will do their jobs...I'm expecting Steadmon to come out with a vengeance...the defense always improves...you know why? High draft picks all over..except McLeod...and I pray, TJ Mac and Barron end that experiment as well....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the whole team will just ' Read and heed ' my signature (a Quote from Jack Youngblood!) everything will be fine!:D

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The one position that has the most impact is the quarterback position. So Foles definitely needs to step up. I think several needs to step up. Robinson, Ogletree, Jenkins. And if they can ever figure out a way to use Tavon Austin it sure would help having that threat in there. Otherwise trading up for him turned out to be a huge mistake. Can't whiff on a premium pick like that.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
Not trying to pirate your thread Ragman , just add perspective. I tried roughly and inexpertly to compilate how the voting to date was going. I will not hazard to guess what a vote for a player to "step it up" meant to the poster.
Player Votes
Foles 17
GRob 17
Austin 12
Jenks 11
B Jones 10
Alex O 8
Saffold 6
C long 5
T John 4
Havenstein 4
Quick 4