3 Players Who Need To Step Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
For the Rams to make the playoffs (imo)

Nick Foles - If he repeats last season (186-311 (59.8%), 2163 yards, 13 TDs, 10 INTs, 81.4 passer rating) then we can kiss the playoffs and any hope of a winning season goodbye. The good news is that he's shown that he can do it, with his Pro Bowl 2013 season, but the big question is was that a fluke?

Greg Robinson - If we are going to field such a young OL we need one of the guys with actual NFL experience to be an anchor for us, that will require a massive leap for Robinson, but one that I believe (or maybe it's just hope :unsure:) he's capable of.

Alec Ogletree - When Ogletree has a positive game (per PFF) the Rams allow 10 points per game, when he scores negatively they allow 24 points per game coincidence? Most likely. However the point remains that he's a vital part of this D who was disappointing at times last season and was slow out of the starting gates, he needs to hit the ground running next year and show his Pro Bowl potential for this D to really shine.

So who are your 3 guys? Do you agree with me? Am I just an idiot who's really board this Sunday afternoon without any Rams football to keep me entertained :(?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree. Those are some good choices. I would add that we need a little more WR production and for Jenkz to play a little more disciplined

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Interesting, the first person that came to mind was
  1. A.O this is a big year for him IMO he has what should be the best LB support he has had yet and is now a vet. He should have targeted his weaknesses and be doing everything possible to overcome them.
  2. G Rob is a good choice in that he has been forced into maturing into a leadership role and will need to minimize mistakes possibly before his time.
  3. Tough choice here but I will go JJ, If any of our CB's take away one side of the field that will have an effect on the entire D that will greatly help productivity. Tru could have been the choice as well but JJ is more built for shutdown status.
(dis) Honorable Mention
Any WR:
SB needs to ad consistency to his yet untapped potential.
TA needs health and to find away to contribute within the system. (new OC Cig should help this)
BQ Health and consistency. His start to the season was great but if you go by the numbers he became less efficient as teams keyed on him (pretty normal but still needs to excel in those situations to be an productive starter)

Last edited:

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Offensive line. Robinson, Haverstien, Saffold. Only 3 or I'd mention the others.

Honorable mention
Foles
Austin
Ogletree

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Foles will be fine. Same with Quick (picks up where he left off)

So my three are Jenks, Bailey, and Austin.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Heck, you're not an idiot, you're just speculating like the rest of us and you brought up an interesting topic.

I think Foles needs to take this season seriously as it could make his career. I don't know about stepping up, but he needs to settle in and learn the system. I think they're going to implement a system that doesn't require the QB to be superman, but rather manage the game and execute opportunities. In order to do that, I think he needs to leave his past behind, ignore the prior expectations of a different team and become his best.

I think Ogeltree needs to step up, he needs to become an important cog on defense and he needs to understand and execute on every play his coach gives him.

On Robinson, I think he'll have no problem growing with this offensive line, but he really shouldn't be expected to be a leader at this point.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Posting with this phone is tough, but my three are Ogeltree, Saffold and Britt.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Oh, Jenkins is nice one too, but i stand by Saffold. Someone needs to be a leader on our line bad.

Limey

Rookie
I think RAG's 3 are good. If Nick Fairley can get to the QB regularly, it will be tough for teams to defend him and Quinn and Donald, and that might buy a bit of time for our O to grow.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1) Nick Foles or maybe even Sean Mannion
2) One of the center candidates
3) Chris Long

But, while a bit off subject, the greatest improvement most teams see should come from it's prior year Draft/UDFA classes.

Draft Class:
Greg Robinson, Aaron Donald, Lamarcus Joyner, Tre Mason, Mo Alexander, E.J. Gaines, Christian Bryant, Demetrius Rhaney.

UDFAs:
Alex Bayer, Marcus Roberson, Tre Watts, Ethan Westbrooks.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Nick Foles...I concur Rams need their Field General to play in every game and be a leader and when the chips are down to answer the call. IMO, Foles can be that guy.
  2. Greg Robinson...And Here's to you Mrs. Robinson and all Ram fans want to sing in unison those very words...Time for Robinson to pave the way to success.
  3. Mark Barron...Ram defense needs to send a message and the Red Barron needs to ensure that when you go across the middle receivers enter at their own risk. IMO McDonald & Barron will be the starting safeties come September Morn and many will morn if they test the dynamic duo.

rdw

Pro Bowler
It's a team sport I'll answer with a team flavor.
O-line. If we have a good or great OL we're going to be cooking with Crisco on offense. We have the weapons (Gurley, Britt, Tavon,) and we'll have steady QB play. (fingers crossed)
D-line. If our monster DL plays the way we expect it to it will do the heavy lifting for our D as a whole then, more often than not, give the ball back to our methodical ball-control run-first offense. (hopefully with good field position)
Health. If we're getting good/great O and D line play and we stay healthy we're going to win. A lot.

:cheers:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My top three are as follows:

One of the Rams top 10 highest paid players is Tavon Austin. His 2015 Ram cap hit will be $7,534,683 million. The first WR selected in the 2013 draft @ #8. In 2014 he averaged 2 catches per game! He had only 31 catches in 2014 with a average of a little over 7 yds a catch. Not what you would expect of such high investment of Ram assets.

2014 main starting DE William Hayes ...started 9 3/4 games in 2014. He got a big pay raise in 2015 $4,355,000 million paid for a back up to DE Chris long. Hayes production for the two yrs prior coming off the bench (when he did not start) was much better overall than when he started.Not sure if the 30 yr old has peaked or the numerous surgeries have taken their toll on him now. I do not forecast that WH will be released from his contract but if he does not step up this will be Hayes last season as a Ram. I see both Chris long & Hayes in a state of regression just not sure how much & feel that we are in trouble @ this position in the near future if we are expecting big game day results from those two.

Another Ram who's play regressed late last season was CB Trumaine Johnson. TJ suffered a real bad knee grade 3 sprain in pre season. He had not looked all that good before the injury. TJ got healthy & well to start 5 games but late in the season Gaines outplayed & started in place of him. In several games I thought he was trying hard to do his Justin King impression. TJ needs to step up if he want to remain a Ram after this season.

Big Willie

Starter
Just to give a different list...
  • McLeod - if he can become a better center fielding FS, the defense can allow their hard hitting SSs, fast LBs, and talented DL to get after the QB. If Jenks or Tru falter, I have faith in EJ and Joyner.
  • Tre Mason- he needs to carry the load until Gurley is ready. If Tre can take his game to a higher level, the Rams can pound the ball with the two RBs and take pressure off Foles to throw for huge numbers.
  • Barnes/Jones/rhaney/or Other - pressure up the middle of an offense creates turmoil for all players. Whoever wins the Center spot has to be able to solidify that spot and give the running and passing plays time to develop.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Foles, Britt, and Tavon Austin.

This is a playoff caliber defense. Offense needs to deliver and these guys need to make that happen!