2024 Rams Official Cut Down to 53 thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Jones is gone and the Rams will move on ...

... with Troy Reeder playing a significant role on Defense ...
1724845266888.png

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I am from Delaware and went to UD at the same time as Troy Reeder so I root for the guy… BUT him playing significant time scares the hell out of me. I just don’t think he’s an NFL starting LB. He should only be depth…. Yikes!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Interesting

Y'know.. I only really mentioned ILB and CB as being places they could use a body.. but, an upgrade over Durden behind Bobby Brown would be great. I don't want Turner playing the nose.. at all. Not because he can't, but I want him at the 3 or 5 where he's best.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
After listening to the McVay interview and reading between the lines or just listening to his lines it seems it came down to Jones not practicing a whole lot. Kept talking about availability and practicing consistently. I know Jones has had a knee issue but I wonder if they felt he was milking it a bit too much due to wanting a new contract. This is just my conjecture and we might never know. But definitely seems like they were just frustrated with however Jones was going about his business this offseason.
Yes, McVay said everyone has to earn their position every year. I don't think it can get much clearer. He thought he had his position and he should get paid and poof he is gone.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I expect to see a lot more of 3 interior linemen, 2 edge rushers, 5 DB's and one ILB. With Turner and Fiske they have to ability to collapse the pocket and not allow QB's to step up as much. The edges just have to make sure they contain the mobile quarterbacks and not let them get outside to make plays.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I expect to see a lot more of 3 interior linemen, 2 edge rushers, 5 DB's and one ILB. With Turner and Fiske they have to ability to collapse the pocket and not allow QB's to step up as much. The edges just have to make sure they contain the mobile quarterbacks and not let them get outside to make plays.
"Multiple" is such a cliche.. but.. yeah.. I see this defense being very multiple.

A lot of national guys expect a drop off on D with the loss of Donald and Raheem.

I'm one of Raheem's bigger supporters on here... and don't see it. I think Shula is likely one of those perfectly timed promotions. I also expect him to build appreciably on last year's defense. They're gonna steal stuff that Baltimore did, for sure.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
"Multiple" is such a cliche.. but.. yeah.. I see this defense being very multiple.

A lot of national guys expect a drop off on D with the loss of Donald and Raheem.

I'm one of Raheem's bigger supporters on here... and don't see it. I think Shula is likely one of those perfectly timed promotions. I also expect him to build appreciably on last year's defense. They're gonna steal stuff that Baltimore did, for sure.
I'm also one who believes that McVay had a lot bigger hand in the defense than people knew during Staley's year. I remember something about McVay not being as involved as he wanted during the Wade Philipps years. He wanted to be more involved with the defense when he chose Staley. I think that will be the case with Shula. We saw what a Staley defense looked like when he became head coach. Not very good.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm also one who believes that McVay had a lot bigger hand in the defense than people knew during Staley's year. I remember something about McVay not being as involved as he wanted during the Wade Philipps years. He wanted to be more involved with the defense when he chose Staley. I think that will be the case with Shula. We saw what a Staley defense looked like when he became head coach. Not very good.
SAME PAGE!!
Those national guys keep forgetting that Raheem came in and adapted to what McVay had in place and then built on it. Raheem did excellent with that, as far as I'm concerned.
If McVay believes in Shula.. well.. his track record with DCs is pretty damn good.

More than anything.. what you say about McVay being more involved with the D than people know or acknowledge is dead on, imo.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
People remember when he first took over as HC him pictured on the sideline sitting on the bench ignoring the D and focused on pictures and his play sheet and think that is his complete focus. He is way past that.

dang

Legend
I am from Delaware and went to UD at the same time as Troy Reeder so I root for the guy… BUT him playing significant time scares the hell out of me. I just don’t think he’s an NFL starting LB. He should only be depth…. Yikes!
McSnead know they can’t roll with Reeder/Rozeboom on first team defense for the duration of the season. They will be used to fill in initially but I bet there will be a heavy emphasis on integrating Speights/Hummel and scheming 5 DBs.

Last edited: