OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're absolutely right! Focusing on ST is such a small picture view.

Leadership is the bigger picture. If a HC, especially the youngest in NFL history, didn't respect himself enough to not tolerate blatant disrespect, he would have lost the team and his staff long ago. I'll take strong leadership and a SB win in '21 over a narrow focus on ST rankings.
That may have been good reason to not sign Bones to a new contract, however it’s still strange that such a successful head coach hasn’t been able to field a good special teams unit since.

I don’t believe it to be the hardest phase of NFL football and the but-in that you and Dave speak of should fully extend throughout the team, which includes Specisl teams. McVay has had a few coaches in that area with past success. I would never expect it to be an area of struggle.

I understand that deciding not to invest much in a kicker can be one factor. But their coverage and return units haven’t exactly been great, either.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That may have been good reason to not sign Bones to a new contract, however it’s still strange that such a successful head coach hasn’t been able to field a good special teams unit since.

I don’t believe it to be the hardest phase of NFL football and the but-in that you and Dave speak of should fully extend throughout the team, which includes Specisl teams. McVay has had a few coaches in that area with past success. I would never expect it to be an area of struggle.

I understand that deciding not to invest much in a kicker can be one factor. But their coverage and return units haven’t exactly been great, either.
Have to think with the limited practice time teams have nowadays, that an offensive guru and control freak like McVay, that he just doesn't devote enough time to STs practice. I guarantee a coach like John Harbaugh, a former STs coach, spends a lot more time on STs than McVay does.

That could be another thing that he may not have seen eye to eye with Bones. Maybe he wanted more practice time than McVay gave him and bugged him about it. That called fake punt may have just broke the relationship's back.

Obviously a lot of guessing here, but it would seem to fit their personalities and what we have seen since Bones left.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I believe the main reason is it was a symptom of how the team was built. Very top heavy with talent. Not so much depth. The level of depth is much better and it should show up in better ST.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yes and obviously McVay is great but having a top teams squad can add a few wins to the season, which can be the difference in chasing a top seed.

What I would do if I were the Rams is have Vermiel come visit and hope they hit it off. I am sure he could help him out there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes and obviously McVay is great but having a top teams squad can add a few wins to the season, which can be the difference in chasing a top seed.

What I would do if I were the Rams is have Vermiel come visit and hope they hit it off. I am sure he could help him out there.
I honestly think McVay looks at returns the way he does pass defense. Play it safe, meaning fair catches and touch backs are better in his mind because less turn overs. His coverage preference is play it safer don't give up big plays. Just something I've thought for a few years now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe the main reason is it was a symptom of how the team was built. Very top heavy with talent. Not so much depth. The level of depth is much better and it should show up in better ST.
I hope you are right. That Ravens loss was inexcusable

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I hope you are right. That Ravens loss was inexcusable
That and the rules changes on kick off I think has gotten McVays attention. Until the Ravens game I don't think team coverage or returns seemed like It was the cause of a loss in McVay's view. And as far as returns I think his philosophy has been, first do no harm. Hense the fair catch is good. Block in the back bad.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That and the rules changes on kick off I think has gotten McVays attention. Until the Ravens game I don't think team coverage or returns seemed like It was the cause of a loss in McVay's view. And as far as returns I think his philosophy has been, first do no harm. Hense the fair catch is good. Block in the back bad.
Yes the kickoff changes are a big deal. McVay will not like being a team copying the front runners. That will piss all over his ego. This is why I say if Chase's ST units don't make an impact on these returns his ass is done. We'll be reading BS team releases about how Chase has been "freed to pursue job opportunities" or similar bullshit spin by the Rams somewhere midseason.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
This! This is the main reason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did the Giants return a punt on the Rams too?

STs can win and/or win games in certain circumstances. McVays tendency tot mute them has not been particularly successful. His risk aversion on Specusl teams is reminiscent to Fisher’s risk aversion on offense.

I pray for change.