OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Los Angeles Rams

The Rams are definitely looking around. And they finally have some draft picks to burn again after the Matthew Stafford trade, including their own selections in the first three rounds. A couple things have happened here that make it viable for the Rams to be buyers. First, they’ve found traction with two young wideouts in Puka Nacua and Tutu Atwell, which essentially removes the need to go hunting for a wideout in the next draft (which seemed likely until the aforementioned pair surfaced as reliable assets). Second, defensive coordinator Raheem Morris has the Rams' young core ahead of schedule. Perhaps unexpectedly, the Rams have a better window here than anticipated, one that suggests they can still take advantage of the remaining juice in Stafford and defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

ADVERTISEMENT

They also have two additional games to measure, facing the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys before the deadline. If they emerge 5-3 after the next two, I wouldn’t rule out another call on Burns, who the Rams chased last year to the point of offering two first-round picks (and a third). With another year of Burns burned off and the extension that would be required, that price would be cheaper this time around. Don’t count the Rams out of a Burns pursuit.

I'm not a fan of Burns per se, but I would be if the Rams thought he worth it. They may over pay in trades but for the most part, they all paid off big time recently. Stafford, Ramsey, Cooks
If they got Burns, they could sign him to a monster extension in '24 that has low cap hit during Donald's last big cap hit
Carolina looks foolish right now without a 1st round pick and Bryce Young not looking like CJ Stroud. If the Rams think he's worth it, send the 1st and 2nd rounder

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If we go back to the off season, the Rams (Snead & Demoff) said this was going to be a "quiet year". Remodeling. Everybody and their brother said, the Rams were writing 2023 off in order to make another SB run in 2024. So what's changed? The kids are playing better than anybody (including management) expected? The acquisition of Burns is going to make them SB contenders in 2023? Sure an acquisition like that would help in 2024 too IF they signed him long term or franchised him in 2024. But Young is already proving to be a force at OLB and they still have Mathis and Hampton to develop. It's easy for fans to say, "none of those two are going to be good OLBs" but that's bullshit. It's not necessarily wrong, but it's unforseen at this point. Plus, they will have other needs come 2024. Like OL, a C or LT, the latter which could be had in the first round. What is better, long term? Trading away multiple picks for a guy you may not be able to sign long term or getting to the playoffs and exposing the youngsters to valuable experience now to benefit the team in 2024? Then totally solidifying the OL in 2024 to dominate defenses with the skill guys already on the roster. Hey, anything can happen and they might go for Burns but I'm hoping they stick to their guns and create a roster that will strongly contend for a Lombardi in 2024, 2025 and 2026. JMHO.
If they traded for and signed Burns to an extension I'd be fine with it. One thing I don't want to see is a day two pick for a half year rental. It was fine with Miller because he was the missing piece to a championship Squad. They don't have a championship squad this year. No one is gonna come in and change that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they traded for and signed Burns to an extension I'd be fine with it. One thing I don't want to see is a day two pick for a half year rental. It was fine with Miller because he was the missing piece to a championship Squad. They don't have a championship squad this year. No one is gonna come in and change that.
Difference here is that the Rams can franchise tag him, which they were not able to do with Miller

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Difference here is that the Rams can franchise tag him, which they were not able to do with Miller
It can be a risk. Some players do not want to be franchise tagged if they think they can get a long term deal. Some threaten to sit out the season. Some do. I'd prefer the extension in hand over that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Panthers are likely to ask for 3 1sts since they would also have to eat part of Burns’ contract this year and be saddled with Boom for another year. I just can’t see Snead doing that.
There's no dead cap to absorb by Carolina. The rest of his base is guaranteed and the Rams would assume whatever is left of that 16 million. There's no money in future years as it's his rookie deal.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading Boom would be more than double the dead cap hit of merely acquiring Burns
Trading him this year is a $5 million cap hit as well as next year then the 2 void years. Cutting him is a whole other ball game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of Burns per se, but I would be if the Rams thought he worth it. They may over pay in trades but for the most part, they all paid off big time recently. Stafford, Ramsey, Cooks
If they got Burns, they could sign him to a monster extension in '24 that has low cap hit during Donald's last big cap hit
Carolina looks foolish right now without a 1st round pick and Bryce Young not looking like CJ Stroud. If the Rams think he's worth it, send the 1st and 2nd rounder
I agree, I'd rather go other routes at edge namely a 2nd rounder next year with our first going for a LT.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It can be a risk. Some players do not want to be franchise tagged if they think they can get a long term deal. Some threaten to sit out the season. Some do. I'd prefer the extension in hand over that.
Only 1 player I can think of sat out a season, and it was his 2nd tag, not his first. It would pay well over 20mill guaranteed. They could still negotiate long term. No risk

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading him this year is a $5 million cap hit as well as next year then the 2 void years. Cutting him is a whole other ball game.
Pretty sure the void years accelerate to '24 cap if traded. 5 mill hit in '23 and then 15 mill in '24.
He's one of the last guy to trade, not because of skill but that contract is an albatross
Team that trades for him is looking at 15 mill for him in '24

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sure the void years accelerate to '24 cap if traded. 5 mill hit in '23 and then 15 mill in '24.
He's one of the last guy to trade, not because of skill but that contract is an albatross
Team that trades for him is looking at 15 mill for him in '24
In a cut they accelerate not in a trade from the site I checked on that also has the cap hits on it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They absolutely do
Actually they can defer it both with a cut or a trade making it a post June 1 deal. Not sure that they would do that as they've been trying to keep next years cap clean but they can do it. Might have to restructure somebody soon anyways for cap space.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree, I'd rather go other routes at edge namely a 2nd rounder next year with our first going for a LT.
At this point.. I think I'd be fine with a mid-tier FA.. someone in the Ebukam, Ngokue, Zadarius Smith level... just a solid, competent pro.
Young has started strong and improved by the week. I'm assuming continued strong performance when making this suggestion... if he falls completely off.. that would make me re-evaluate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point.. I think I'd be fine with a mid-tier FA.. someone in the Ebukam, Ngokue, Zadarius Smith level... just a solid, competent pro.
Young has started strong and improved by the week. I'm assuming continued strong performance when making this suggestion... if he falls completely off.. that would make me re-evaluate.
Nah don't settle imo for lower quality.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Anyone getting any sense or feeling about the future of Josh Allen? No, not that Josh Allen. Jags edge rusher appears to be reaching that potential they thought he had when they drafted him in the first round. He's a free agent after the season.

Before the season the Jags did not appear to be all in with him. Now that he seems to be having his breakout year that could change. Question is, is, this being his contract year is that the only thing that motivated him?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely. The highest priority has to be keeping Stafford upright. A premier LT will do that and a premier LT on a rookie deal would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.