OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

View attachment 59239
View attachment 59240
View attachment 59241
This is the list to work from… Rams tend to pick from their visits… pretty straight forward… I don’t see any RBs yet so I’d be surprised if we took one before the 4th round…

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Looking at the rankings of various sites....PFF, CBS, Draftbuzz, etc......they all have different rankings of course. As will many NFL teams. And considering our "perceived" needs, a look at Edge & CB, when #36 comes around.....if that's the way the Rams go, we're going to get a good one at either position. Figure 5-6 Edge players drafted in the first 32 and 5-6 CBs. That leaves a lot of talent left at #36. The question is, if we get a stud no matter which way we went, which would be better to pass on at #36? Edge or CB?

We could end up with Banks or Cam Smith for CB, McDonald IV or Anudike-Uzo....for edge.

IMO, drafting an edge is better because a wrecking ball bearing down on the QB is more disruptive and impactful than a #1 CB would be on this defense.

A QB can just throw away from our #1 and would have the time to go through his reads more often.

I vote Edge first, CB later.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't need to be a highly picked RB to be a top 3 guy in the NFL. All that would mean is that he's in a good offense where they hand him the ball and best-utilize his skills. Like he has currently in college.

But watching his tape the guy does everything well I just don't think he is special. He has been put up there near the top of round 1 like he is special. He has been talked about like he is special. But in each phase of his game he is good not great, except for production which is certainly valuable and I would love to see us take him if he is there, however as we are talking about which RB goes off the board first I don't think he is the slam dunk everyone sells him as.

So yeah, if he goes top ten feel free to roast me on this. If he even goes before Gibbs do the same. Because I figure NFL teams are seeing what I'm seeing, it just hasn't filtered to the media nutsacks yet. Could be way wrong though, and wouldn't be the first time.

:beer2::woozy2:
I actually like Gibbs more than Bijan. Gibbs looks special to me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the list to work from… Rams tend to pick from their visits… pretty straight forward… I don’t see any RBs yet so I’d be surprised if we took one before the 4th round…
*Let be tricky boys and pick Gibbs at #36. That'll wreck all of those smart alec mocks at ROD ~ McSnead

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
He does look special, but, he was often running wide outside sweeps or thru huge holes. He's yards after contact is pretty bad for an elite college back entering the NFL. That is probably one of the main numbers I'm interested in. I'd take Bijan 10/10 times, but Gibbs certainly offers his own skills sets, particularly the ability to line up outside and run routes. Just don't see him being better then Bijan as a complete RB package myself.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. Bijan is my kind of back, along with Charbonnet and multiple others in this draft, I love me some meat 'n taters type backs. But what Gibbs offers for the pass game and modern offenses is extremely hard to find. This is why I presume he's first back off the board. We have zero chance to draft that dude. And if we do draft him we're gonna see some shit with him under McVay.

All that aside I think any of multiple physical runners in this draft could help McVay a ton and they can be found well into this draft. Just finding a good strong bellcow backup for Akers would be significant and help ensure this offense has its best chance for a bounceback season. All of McVay's biggest periods of struggle in his 5 years as head coach at this level have had one thing in common: no run game.

This has been a consistent theme. There were other issues with the roster from QB to OL but the run game has been a fucking thorn in his side since Gurley started struggling with that knee. And btw some of the issues have been McVay not being quite on Shanny's level in creatively scheming the run. So the best way forward is to find a back who can carry the load at some point in this draft. Or get lucky on a guy like Gibbs who can do everything for him which is what he would prefer.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He does look special, but, he was often running wide outside sweeps or thru huge holes. He's yards after contact is pretty bad for an elite college back entering the NFL. That is probably one of the main numbers I'm interested in. I'd take Bijan 10/10 times, but Gibbs certainly offers his own skills sets, particularly the ability to line up outside and run routes. Just don't see him being better then Bijan as a complete RB package myself.
I learned an important lesson re: RBs from Henderson. Namely that some guys simply don't have the stamina to throw themselves once more into the breach in games where there are no seams. Problem is in college Henderson had holes the size of Texas to run through so all you could see was his gears as he blew through them.

Gibbs did run inside vs top competition. Not all that much but he didn't wilt late in games doing that. So there's always a risk I think with a back like him in that regard. It is certainly possible you are correct. But the upside he offers to pass games will counter that in the minds of most teams. Supply and demand will be at play with him IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Only 4 players from Sean McVay’s first 3 drafts are still on the Rams

CAMERON DASILVA
Sat, Mar 25, 2023, 10:00 AM CDT

ea951e91cbc2265612c41d3727c8d7d9

Hitting on draft picks in the NFL is incredibly difficult. The Los Angeles Rams have nailed many of theirs over the years, including Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp, Todd Gurley and Rob Havenstein, but they’ve also had some misses – as every team has.

With rookies signing four-year contracts, they oftentimes leave the team that drafted them when their contract expires. That’s been the case for the Rams’ first three draft classes under Sean McVay, which span from 2017-2019.

For one reason or another, the Rams haven’t kept many of the players from those draft classes, primarily choosing not to re-sign them due to underperformance or cutting them outright before their deals expired.

Looking back at those three classes, only four players are still under contract with the Rams.

Cooper Kupp, 3rd round

Joe Noteboom, 3rd round
Brian Allen, 4th round

None

It’s shocking that the entire 2019 draft class is gone, with the slim possibility that the Rams re-sign Taylor Rapp. Nick Scott, Greg Gaines, David Long Jr. and David Edwards all signed with new teams this offseason, while Dakota Allen, Darrell Henderson Jr. and Bobby Evans were all cut previously.

From the 2018 class, only Noteboom and Allen received extensions with the Rams. John Franklin-Myers and Micah Kiser were cut, as were John Kelly and Jamil Demby. Trevon Young and Justin Lawler didn’t make it four years, either. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Sebastian Joseph-Day left in free agency last year, while Travin Howard is a free agent this year.

The 2017 class was strong, but the Rams only retained Kupp. Gerald Everett, John Johnson, Josh Reynolds and Samson Ebukam all landed free-agent deals elsewhere two years ago. Sam Rogers and Ejuan Price were cut before their deals expired.

The Rams still have 19 players on the roster from their last three classes, and those players will be expected to step up at some point in 2023. For a roster that’s undergoing a rebuild, younger players will need to take on bigger roles

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. Bijan is my kind of back, along with Charbonnet and multiple others in this draft, I love me some meat 'n taters type backs. But what Gibbs offers for the pass game and modern offenses is extremely hard to find. This is why I presume he's first back off the board. We have zero chance to draft that dude. And if we do draft him we're gonna see some shit with him under McVay.

All that aside I think any of multiple physical runners in this draft could help McVay a ton and they can be found well into this draft. Just finding a good strong bellcow backup for Akers would be significant and help ensure this offense has its best chance for a bounceback season. All of McVay's biggest periods of struggle in his 5 years as head coach at this level have had one thing in common: no run game.

This has been a consistent theme. There were other issues with the roster from QB to OL but the run game has been a fucking thorn in his side since Gurley started struggling with that knee. And btw some of the issues have been McVay not being quite on Shanny's level in creatively scheming the run. So the best way forward is to find a back who can carry the load at some point in this draft. Or get lucky on a guy like Gibbs who can do everything for him which is what he would prefer.
Or move up like a sonofofagun for Gibbs! Work out your magic McSnead!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
A look at the postions already on the roster, how much money is invested in each this year and the possibility they will targeted in the draft.........IMHO......very high, high, likely, possibly

DL Donald (26.0), B.Brown (1.129), Murchison (1.010), E.Brown (0.940), J.Williams (0.940), *Hoecht (0.870), TJ Carter (0.750).............31.639 mil (avg 4.412; without AD....0.940)

LB Jones (1.305), Rozeboom (0.940), Hummel ((0.872).........3.117 (avg 1.039)
OLB Hardy (0.894), Thomas (0.870), VanValkenburg (0.750).....2.514 (avg 0.838)
CB Rochell (1.112), Durant (0.996), Kendrick (0.903), Jolly (0.870)....3.881 (avg 0.970)
S Fuller (2.785), LeCounte (0.940), Lake (0.903), Yeast (0.889).....5.517 (avg 1.379)

Defense (21 players)

OL Havenstein (9.7), Noteboom (6.5), Allen (3.05), Shelton (1.75), Bruss (1.146), Anchrum (1.028), Jackson ((0.947), Arcuri ((0.870), Thomas (0.870)........25.871 mil (avg 2.875)

QB Stafford (20.0 mil)
RB Akers (1.964), Williams (0.947), Rivers (0.870)......3.781 (avg 1.26)
TE Higbee (9.125), Hopkins (1.173), Long (1.111).......11.409 (avg 3.80)
WR Kupp (27.8), Robinson (18.05), Jefferson (1.785), Atwell (1.611), Skowronek (0.961), McCutcheon (0.870), Trammell (0.870)......97.8 (avg 13.97)

Offense (23 players)

*I realize Hoecht was used towards the end of the season as an OLB/Edge but let's face it, he's better as a DL/DT. If they go Edge/OLB in the draft once, they may keep Hoecht there. If they go twice, I'd think it's back to DL for him. Interesting to me, Spotrac has Bobby Brown signed for 2024 but Ernest Brown is not. So according to them, DL under contract for 2024 are AD and B.Brown.

The difference between #1 DL and #2 is astounding but then that's all on AD. He's astounding too. The difference between #1 TE and #2 is pretty wide. I don't know if it's all that unusual though. You'd expect your #1 and #2 WRs to be paid well but you'd also expect the combined production. Maybe this year. #1 and #2 RBs are remarkably close. OL seems normal, though the RT isn't typically the #1 but with Big Rob's experience and Noteboom's relative inexperience, not all that odd. OLB, CB and ILB, as well as DL sans AD are woefully under invested.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or move up like a sonofofagun for Gibbs! Work out your magic McSnead!
He does have that 2024 first round draft pick burning a hole in his pocket...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It’s shocking that the entire 2019 draft class is gone, with the slim possibility that the Rams re-sign Taylor Rapp. Nick Scott, Greg Gaines, David Long Jr. and David Edwards all signed with new teams this offseason, while Dakota Allen, Darrell Henderson Jr. and Bobby Evans were all cut previously.

But they got a lot of production out of that class. Had our cap situation been different we would have kept Scott and Gaines.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The idea of selecting a RB with top pick does not seem to fit the message that we’re aiming for 2024+. RBs are the most able to immediately be impactful and day 1 starters. They also have limited mileage. So why waste a year of a RB for 2023. Select a needed and more important position that might take part or all year to fully ascend to an impact starter - OL, edge or CB. You can then take a top RB in next years draft. That way both are hitting in 2024. I just feel it’s a bit foolish and off timing wise for the remodel we’re in.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The idea of selecting a RB with top pick does not seem to fit the message that we’re aiming for 2024+. RBs are the most able to immediately be impactful and day 1 starters. They also have limited mileage. So why waste a year of a RB for 2023. Select a needed and more important position that might take part or all year to fully ascend to an impact starter - OL, edge or CB. You can then take a top RB in next years draft. That way both are hitting in 2024. I just feel it’s a bit foolish and off timing wise for the remodel we’re in.
Very well said. I'm all for the later RB pick, since we will likely need 2 next season, and, if you hit on one, that saves a pick from '24 without much capital used.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The idea of selecting a RB with a top pick doesn't seem to fit any NFL design lately. But there are between 18 and 27 drafted every year. In fact, it among the top 6 positions drafted every year.

The NFL lists positions as DB (which include safeties), LB (which include OLB), WR, RB, T (LT & RT), RB (including FBs), DT, TE, DE, G, C, P, PK, LS and NT. And it poses a problem when you're trying to isolate the positions such as Edge, CB, S, ILB, OLB. Because though some sites like Pro Football Reference will separate ILB and OLB, truth is some OLB aren't Edge rushers. And in some instances they classify simply LB....not ILB, not OLB, not Edge rusher. Anyways......

Without fail every year from 2015-2022, the top 3 position groups drafted are DB, LB, WR. Then usually RB, T, DE. Followed by DT, G, TE and QB. Even when you take the time to separate CBs from Ss and Edge rushers from LBs, CB is still the highest drafted position, though sometimes tying WR. Makes sense, it's a passing league. But RBs regardless of whether there are 2-4 FBs drafted annually, come off pretty high on the list, which also makes sense. It may be a passing league and RBs aren't the focal point of the offense like in the 60's, 70's and 80's, they are still an integral part of the offense, both running the ball and as pass catchers, which they weren't always used as effectively prior to the air explosion.

Centers, which we seem to always want, has been the 11th or 12th postion drafted averaging 6 a year over the last 8 drafts.

But back to RBs. They aren't drafted very often in the first round.....just 7 over the last 5 years. But in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, they come out of the woodwork. 50 over the last 5 years. So my guess is, if you want a stud (Robinson, Gibbs), you're going to take him in the first. If you want a good RB, then the 2nd, 3rd and 4th they can be found. Sometimes you hit on the 5th down but those seem far and few between as far as "ball carriers". Do the Rams need to add to the RB room? Without a doubt. Do they need a "stud"? Not really. But they can get good potential in the 3rd or 4th (if they can weasel a 4th out of some needy GM). Otherwise, it's the 5th or lower. I'd like to see them take one higher.