OFFICIAL 2022 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
There is always a limit. If he wants $30M per for 5 yrs ...you paying that?

As of right now the Rams are listed as having only $10M of cap space next yr. You do that kind of deal for AD, you will lose a number of other starters.

I'm sure there is a common ground number as a fan I will want AD as a Ram til the day he retires he is the Rams. I understand how your looking at it as prior to winning the Super Bowl I too said and thought the same thing for same reasons you mention but also for AD because I thought we will waste him which was one of my biggest fears. However now that we have won it would drive a dagger through this teams heart and send a terrible message if you trade him. That doesn't mean though he isn't if his head got to big then there will be issues if both parties are fair level headed then all will be fine.

Your absolutely correct though business is business you should pay the man however yes if his number is outlandish he himself is forcing his way out but if it makes sense and they compromise and it does spread outand also gives us assurance that he won't retire over say 4 years then you figure it out.

It will definitely be 30 million or north of 30 by a bit but if he tries to make the arguement that he is just as important as the qb then that opens up Pandora's box and it could get ugly. We need to wait to see how it plays out.

Also the cap will be going up significantly the next 2-3 years and it will depend highest defensive player pay is attainable qb money I'm thinking would be a deal breaker. Upper tier qb money I'm referring to.

Lastly if it came to trading him the price is tremendous. Has to be 3 firsts a third etc. or 2 firsts a second and a player you target. Ewwww just saying that make me sick lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you can get 2 1st rounders plus for Jamaal Adams you could certainly get more for AD. It would be more like a Ricky Williams type trade plus an extra first rounder lol. Like the Rams formula he is a proven commodity and that's the understatement of the century. You would need to pony up a whole hell of a lot.

Having said all that I couldnt even imagine a scenario where AD gets traded or a Rams team without him right now. Had we wasted his talents and we just couldn't win the big one well then maybe a consideration but after what he did and then the whole entire body of work no way.
I'd rather he stay a Ram. But we saw the Patriots trade Richard Seymour just before his skills deteriorated. Its not unprecedented. However AD is highly effective still and doesn't seem to be tailing off at all. Pittsburgh would likely have to move Watt to get AD. Its tough to have two such contracts on a defense.

I don't want him traded, but at a time when two offensive leaders take more team friendly deals to help keep the top talent in LA, its not the best look for AD.

dang

Legend
There is always a limit. If he wants $30M per for 5 yrs ...you paying that?

As of right now the Rams are listed as having only $10M of cap space next yr. You do that kind of deal for AD, you will lose a number of other starters.
The key $$$ considerations follow:
- $22.5m - Aaron Donald’s current per year contract
- $28m - TJ Watts current per year contract
- $40m - Matt Staffords current per year contract
Here’s what we know:
- Donald missed his family
- Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL and has been for the last 5 years
- Agents are greedy for their clients
So I believe Donald wants something > $28m per year and maybe something closer to $40m per year than anyone wants to pay.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Like I said, if say Pittsburgh offered two #1's and a mid rounder. Or even #1 and two 2's and maybe a mid rounder, I would have to seriously consider it. Sell high and take the cap room and add another quality young FA next yr or even trade for a guy or just use the picks. Maybe trade up into the top ten for a young stud DT.
No. Most trades like this, the team that gets the star player comes out way ahead. Also when multiple 1s get traded it takes multiple years to collect. Pay the man. He deserves to be paid more than any other D player.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The Rams are built to win right now.

Most of their best players are in their late-20s / pushing 30.

A healthy, happy and motivated Aaron Donald is critical to the Rams’ chances the next couple years.

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'd rather he stay a Ram. But we saw the Patriots trade Richard Seymour just before his skills deteriorated. Its not unprecedented. However AD is highly effective still and doesn't seem to be tailing off at all. Pittsburgh would likely have to move Watt to get AD. Its tough to have two such contracts on a defense.

I don't want him traded, but at a time when two offensive leaders take more team friendly deals to help keep the top talent in LA, its not the best look for AD.

Patriots are indeed known for that but Seymour not even I'm the same solar system as AD. And I so cannot get down with media or anyone in general when they say AD "is still effective"

Effective is Fletcher Cox

AD is still downright dominant and not old yet people make it sound like he Brady I get the positions but does Fletcher Cox or even Jones look like AD. He is just different

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
No. Most trades like this, the team that gets the star player comes out way ahead. Also when multiple 1s get traded it takes multiple years to collect. Pay the man. He deserves to be paid more than any other D player.
Exactly well said and who should know this better than us Rams fans who are usually on the receiving end of the player for picks lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Patriots are indeed known for that but Seymour not even I'm the same solar system as AD. And I so cannot get down with media or anyone in general when they say AD "is still effective"

Effective is Fletcher Cox

AD is still downright dominant and not old yet people make it sound like he Brady I get the positions but does Fletcher Cox or even Jones look like AD. He is just different
Cox did a nosedive last year. He isn’t all that effective anymore. Effective is a relative term anyway imo.

Seymour was just an example of a top Dlinemen traded while still producing at a high level. I wasn’t saying he’s AD level.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So I believe Donald wants something > $28m per year and maybe something closer to $40m per year than anyone wants to pay.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. If he's pricing himself out the Rams will make the hard call.

And if that happens it'll be hard to blame them. He's 31. He has 3 years of very high cap hit already (in the 20s) so if they restructure him to throw him another signing bonus they're going to be paying into years 35+ which gets dicey even with a freak like him. Plus he's already talking retirement which is a bad sign.

You also have considerations like We Not Me and whether the team wants to keep prioritizing one player when another defender passes him on pay. If he's asking for crazy money then this is feeling more and more like a situation where the smart call may be moving him. As soon as we hit a year where his play dips at all his value vs that contract is going to be very hard to move.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Donald signed his current extension in 2018.

Today, 4yrs later… he is the 23rd highest paid overall… 4th as far as defensive players. That contract has held up well.

I’d say the last 4yrs the Rams have been very good to Aaron Donald, and I somewhat question why there is urgency for a new deal.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Cox did a nosedive last year. He isn’t all that effective anymore. Effective is a relative term anyway imo.

Seymour was just an example of a top Dlinemen traded while still producing at a high level. I wasn’t saying he’s AD level.

No yea I got ya....wasn't intended at you. Anyone and everyone in here I would think loves AD. Never doubt you my dude you always on point!!!!!

I was just going by the point of reference there really is no comp for AD he is generational so you with go back to Reggie White....what's sick is when he is even put amongst the likes of LT etc. So I will always back the Rams as a team I root for the team always first more than the player but I would be broken if AD didn't end his career with the Rams. I've been dreading the day he retires 3 years ago lol.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I seriously doubt AD would agree to a trade. In one of the post Super Bowl videos (I think) he was heard saying he wanted to be here as long as McVay was coach.
The contract issue is about how much $$ it will take for him to keep playing football versus retiring.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. If he's pricing himself out the Rams will make the hard call.

And if that happens it'll be hard to blame them. He's 31. He has 3 years of very high cap hit already (in the 20s) so if they restructure him to throw him another signing bonus they're going to be paying into years 35+ which gets dicey even with a freak like him. Plus he's already talking retirement which is a bad sign.

You also have considerations like We Not Me and whether the team wants to keep prioritizing one player when another defender passes him on pay. If he's asking for crazy money then this is feeling more and more like a situation where the smart call may be moving him. As soon as we hit a year where his play dips at all his value vs that contract is going to be very hard to move.
I consider the minute we dump AD, our window is closed. Oh, we'll still probably make the playoffs, but no more Super Bowls.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

did you watch the packers playoff game?

the rams d is nothing without AD. the rams would not win a playoff game if AD wasn't playing.

the rams know this so they will pay AD.

in the meantime they better find some guys that can rush the passer to take over once AD says he's had enough.