OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes. But does she have the right experience to run a draft and make the picks? Being a director of football operations does not mean she has experience as a scout or in matters of player evaluation. It has nothing to do with being a woman. I liken it to having Demoff make the draft picks.

I actually think a business oriented woman is likely a good candidate to handle football operations.
Her being a woman does matter.

For me it's more about wondering how those jobs don't go to ex-players and guys who have lived and breathed the game. Nothing wrong with women being in the game, but I'm not going to celebrate it like it's something that needed to happen. Because this is a man's league it's not a scoreboard for women's rights. And I'm left wondering in how many of those cases did the job go to the most qualified candidate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

For me it's more about wondering how those jobs don't go to ex-players and guys who have lived and breathed the game. Nothing wrong with women being in the game, but I'm not going to celebrate it like it's something that needed to happen. Because this is a man's league it's not a scoreboard for women's rights. And I'm left wondering in how many of those cases did the job go to the most qualified candidate.
An eye for talent isn't exclusive to players in fact we've seen plenty of examples of former players being terrible coaches/gm/scouts.

iu

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An eye for talent isn't exclusive to players in fact we've seen plenty of examples of former players being terrible coaches/gm/scouts.

iu
True. But I think it's good to keep in mind this is a man's league. And that this push to flip the glass ceiling, at least as it pertains to females, should not be a priority.

What they need to do is stay the course with the players of color who are interested in moving into those types of roles and ensure they are getting those opportunities.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well that’s my point. She’s not qualified to be a GM if she never worked in that realm.

To your other point though. There are people in football that haven’t played or coached football even at the collegiate level.
I’m sure that just like any jobs out there it’s often as much or more about who you know than what you know. We’ve got an owner and some playing GM in Dallas. An unqualified son running the Jags into the ground. Heck Billy Devanney worked his way into a GM role by stalking a real GM.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
True. But I think it's good to keep in mind this is a man's league. And that this push to flip the glass ceiling, at least as it pertains to females, should not be a priority.

What they need to do is stay the course with the players of color who are interested in moving into those types of roles and ensure they are getting those opportunities.
Why does that make them any more the right person for the job than a woman?

Ethnicity and gender are the absolute worst traits to be considered for filling a job in any business.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Mayock, welcome back to being a Draft talking head. Do you think ESPN outbids NFL Network for his services? Lol I never liked Mayock. All the more reason to not watch off-season football talk shows.
We win and Raiders fans win :) I didn't mind Mayock the only thing I always do is not let them totally influence my opinion on a player. I like these guys more for easy tape links and numbers.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does that make them any more the right person for the job than a woman?

Ethnicity and gender are the absolute worst traits to be considered for filling a job in any business.
I don't want to hijack this thread with this kind of back and forth. I think my posts spell out how I feel about it.

TexasRam

Legend
HAha Mayock so called draft guru fired after three years.

Big difference between memorizing 40 times and actually understanding how to win football games in the NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HAha Mayock so called draft guru fired after three years.

Big difference between memorizing 40 times and actually understanding how to win football games in the NFL.
As I've read a lot of Raider fans say it's kind of unfortunate because they don't know if he was good or not as Gruden had the final say. Kind of like with Snead under Fisher we didn't really see him do his thing until McVay came aboard.

Edit to add and follow up who knows if this is accurate but you hear things like this all the time.

View: https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/1483215403438546956

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't want to hijack this thread with this kind of back and forth. I think my posts spell out how I feel about it.
LOL don’t want to go there but already went there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. But does she have the right experience to run a draft and make the picks? Being a director of football operations does not mean she has experience as a scout or in matters of player evaluation. It has nothing to do with being a woman. I liken it to having Demoff make the draft picks.

I actually think a business oriented woman is likely a good candidate to handle football operations.
I don't see why it would be an issue. Hire good people, listen to their counsel, and you'll be fine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I've read a lot of Raider fans say it's kind of unfortunate because they don't know if he was good or not as Gruden had the final say. Kind of like with Snead under Fisher we didn't really see him do his thing until McVay came aboard.

Edit to add and follow up who knows if this is accurate but you hear things like this all the time.

View: https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/1483215403438546956

Considering how shitty their drafting was, Mayock didn't really earn the BOTD.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't see why it would be an issue. Hire good people, listen to their counsel, and you'll be fine.
Like I said. I’d rather not hire Demoff to be the GM. It seems like a mixing of roles. Lynch went in with no GM experience but he was a player. H

I just believe in people climbing the ladder so they fully understand the job once they get their shot.