49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think he's a starter playing against most players who won't be in the NFL on opening day. We can extrapolate from that. :)
This is certainly the time for hyperbole, I had to change the channel after 5 minutes of one of the nfl network host gushing over Aiden Hutchinson after 11 snaps in the nfl. But that’s what these guys get paid for I guess, I was asking myself what game Dan Fouts was looking at when he ignored awful plays to praise the guy who benefited from them. But I guess no one wants to think about all the terrible football we’re seeing right now.

Tano

Legend
This is certainly the time for hyperbole, I had to change the channel after 5 minutes of one of the nfl network host gushing over Aiden Hutchinson after 11 snaps in the nfl. But that’s what these guys get paid for I guess, I was asking myself what game Dan Fouts was looking at when he ignored awful plays to praise the guy who benefited from them. But I guess no one wants to think about all the terrible football we’re seeing right now.
Hutchinson does look like he "could" be a good one. I saw those 11 plays and focused on him.

He was beating his man on each play. Even the double team he got a hand on the runner.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Hutchinson does look like he "could" be a good one. I saw those 11 plays and focused on him.

He was beating his man on each play. Even the double team he got a hand on the runner.
He was like impressive no doubt, but some of that was some pretty poor oline play. Plenty of guys have kicked ass in preseason never to be heard from again.

Tano

Legend
He was like impressive no doubt, but some of that was some pretty poor oline play. Plenty of guys have kicked ass in preseason never to be heard from again.
That is very true - that is why I wanted to emphasize "could"

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, this is interesting. The clip with Chris Simms is worth a listen.

Turns Out Jimmy G Has Been a Problem Child All Along and No One Even Knew It​

Jimmy Garoppolo has been in the NFL for nearly a decade now. He spent the first few years of his career with the New England Patriots and when it came time to choose between a future with Jimmy G and Tom Brady, Bill Belichick seemed a bit conflicted before he finally sent him to San Francisco.

As a member of the 49ers he showed enough that the team gave him a 5-year deal worth up to $137.5 million in February 2018. In his time as a starting quarterback he's gone 31-14, helped get the franchise back to the Super Bowl and beat Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay just last season. Still, the Niners picked Trey Lance with the third pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and have chosen him over Garoppolo.

Now, suddenly, Garoppolo is a problem.

View: https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1559912180362854400?s=21&t=QqwNCC6eEhYw4fC1U6-OGQ

Chris Simms has apparently been hearing these things about Garoppolo since his first offseason in San Fracisco when they gave him that big deal. Yet I don't recall any stories about him missing practices or training camp or meetings.

He just appears to be bad at returning calls in the offseason? It seems strange that the 49ers would leak any of this now as they're trying to get something back for him. So is this tradecraft? Is some other team sabotaging his value so they can get him for free? Or is he really a flake that can't be trusted who can also take a team to two Conference Championship Games in three years? As you wonder where Tom Brady is right now, it seems the answer could very well be yes. I can't wait to find out what the people around the 49ers organization have to say about Jimmy G when he's actually gone.

JYB

Starter
Agreed, through those 5 passes he didn't alarm and in fact was efficient. I just am not ready to reasonably assess his potential yet. I think it will take 6+ games to see what he is and project any real impact he may have. I have to admit after reading some of the posts regarding his accuracy issues, I was expecting to see a couple of passes completed to sideline personnel.
Two of those completions were very short and very inaccurate -- the receivers had to adjust to make the catch, including one Lance nearly airmailed over TE Dwelley's head. The third was a gimme on a boot. Don't recall the other completion.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You have to hear these PRACTICE stats for Lance.

View: https://youtu.be/kkVxzEQLm6Y

You can’t be inaccurate in the NFL and get away with it… and that’s Trey Lance’s biggest problem.

Put me in the camp it is VERY difficult to improve accuracy issues. You either have that talent or you don’t.

Here is the article at The Ringer.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I watched Lance's throws in the first game. One good throw for a TD. I'll give him that. The guy badly beat the DB but you still gotta make the throw and he did. The others were Garoppolo-esque. Quick outs and WR screens. Shanahan is still calling the type of game he called for the QB he didn't trust. And Lance didn't play game 2. Were they trying to ride the week one hype a little longer? Their fans point to that game with one good throw and say Lance is already pro bowl caliber. I can't wait to see reality hit when they get past the first two games against weak opponents. Lord help them if they lose one of those first two.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I watched Lance's throws in the first game. One good throw for a TD. I'll give him that. The guy badly beat the DB but you still gotta make the throw and he did. The others were Garoppolo-esque. Quick outs and WR screens. Shanahan is still calling the type of game he called for the QB he didn't trust. And Lance didn't play game 2. Were they trying to ride the week one hype a little longer? Their fans point to that game with one good throw and say Lance is already pro bowl caliber. I can't wait to see reality hit when they get past the first two games against weak opponents. Lord help them if they lose one of those first two.
Where Lance has struggled most is short and intermediate crossers. That’s a staple of Shanahan’s offense.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
011E7F66-F942-488F-9776-A1E54F87001F.jpeg

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I feel like the 49ers are just waiting for some other team to lose their starting QB so they can trade JimmyG for something more than a side of onion rings.

What do you call something that waits for the demise of another so they can feed...?

Scavenger?
Ghoul?