2021 Rams “D” Front talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Terrell Lewis coming back at 100% would certainly fill a big hole. His closing speed in the highlights is phenomenal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quick little break down.

Justin Holland was a perfect wire Starter game 1 2020.He has not had training camp & made some big time mistakes.The thing is is that he has the Skill Set to improve.He played soft on the edge & didn’t secure the edge.Took to long to read & react.
-Big upside on a unknown.

T.Lewis- a rookie who came in hurt.Is still really raw.Mist Ram Fans complain about him & his injuries.Doubt he will be healthy.T.Lewis is a guy I call Baby Huey!!! This guy is a Freak in size & speed.He is to dumb to think he isn’t going to be a Superstar.He is slow off the edge & doesn’t shed blockers quickly.Maybe it is a read & react thing,or being to disciplined.Talk for hours about his upside.JR likes him. Can play OLB off the ball.ext..ect.... ?
K. Young ?? OLB ??
OO - this guy will get playing time in 2021.Will be counted on & is in a cont year. What is his value.One thing is for sure he has good work ethic & is an asset for any young player.
Lawyer - is an unknown who as a rookie has been hurt,but in camp seems to keep himself on the roster.
Banks
Copeland
Hoecht
Williams
—Gaines & A Robinson will have bigger roles.
SJD69 Might be okay off the edge.He fits well with AD.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am so focused on the OLine as the priority THIS YEAR that I hate to play this game about the defensive front 7 but that's the thread.

History proves the Rams don't see things the way most others do.
In 2014, they had Brockers, Long, Quinn, Hayes, Langford, Sims, Westbrooks, and Carrington, yet they still drafted an undersized DL in the first round. Probably a good move. Last year we were clamoring for OLine help in the draft and waited til the seventh round. We wound up with Akers and Jefferson. While I wouldn't agree with the move, it wouldn't shock me to see them draft a future QB in the second round because if they identify a stud, they've proven the huevos to do it.

With that said, ANY position in the front seven that is a true pass rushing threat could elevate the defense and mask other weaknesses. Furthermore, if the game against Green Bay should have taught us anything, it's that this defense sans Donald is flat out vulnerable. While I see NOBODY outside the first round that will likely make that sort of impact, Snead and Morris may have a different perspective. Michael Strahan, Andre Tippett, Ricky Jackson, Howie Long, Mike Singletary, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Ted Hendricks, and Willie Lanier were all 2nd round picks. As much as I want an interior OLine stud, if any of the players available at 57 have careers like those listed above, I will gladly eat my hat.
IMO 5T is an important fill because if that spot is weak teams will run away from AD. Also with a guy like AD on the DL who moves laterally and who sometimes creates holes for the offense (yes he overcomes that and more with his positives) it's important to have guys around him with discipline. We saw during the regular season in 2018 with Suh that two guys with pass rush on their minds can detract from the overall product vs the run. And before someone swoops in there yes we all know Suh picked it up in the playoffs but during the regular season he was one of the reasons we didn't win a higher seed.

As to filling 5T there is a chance they love Robinson. But I think counting on him is a mistake. So I would guess we draft a 5T at some point this year. Goal is to have a good front for key downs in a game, plus enough depth to keep them fresh vs the best OL. We're not at that level right now, to my eye at least.

If they can get just a solid run stuffing 5T who can stay on his feet I am feeling much better about that room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He just turned 26.

Are you concerned about his injury history?

ROTOWIRE
His play has a lot of variance outside of the injuries. Then he opted out didn't he and the Rams sort of worked a deal with him but either way result was he was barely around and when he did play was just there.

I don't trust him. So I would take a 5T in this draft at some point.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Curious about the four DL that were kept around last year, mostly on the PS.

Copeland, Banks, Hoecht and Jonah Williams. If just one can be a solid reserve for the rotation, that would be a win.

Brockers and Fox were two of the top-4 DL last year with Joseph-Day and and that little guy ... Donnie something.

Even if Robinson and Gaines (I thought both flashed last year in minimal roles) can step up and play well in greater roles, the DL seems thin.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
DL sure doesn’t seem thin to me.

You want thin positions?

LOT
C
WOLB (due to lack of proven and healthy candidates)
CB (if DW walks next year)
ILB (if we want an above average player there)

Couple more positions where we’re one injury away from being in danger...

RB
WR
TE

Frankly, DL and S are perhaps the two deepest positions with quality depth on the Rams, IMO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
DL sure doesn’t seem thin to me.

Agree on some positions you mentioned. Have posted that I think CB is a primary need. Also think TE unless the coaches think they have something in Hopkins. And of course everyone’s favorite topic of Center. Again, unless there’s a plan in place that McVay has not made public.

But how do you consider DL to be ‘deep’ with ‘quality depth’?

There’s Gaines behind Joseph-Day. That’s strong.

Then there’s Donald and Robinson, and ... what?

I am hopeful on Robinson but I don’t see the depth. I have my fingers crossed on the four young DL that I mentioned above but the next tackle any of them make will be their first pro tackle.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think after Center, pass rush is our biggest need. I'd like to address it in FA. That could be any position as long as they can rush

dang

Legend
Edge, OL (Center and OT), then CB are biggest needs for Draft/Remaining FAs.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It is really hard to not be excited and optimistic about T. Lew.
He could play @ 6'5" and 275-280. With that speed and explosion cleanup technique and help him define his
natural strengths and he could be a nice ol/5t option

MachS

Hall of Fame
Losing Brockers and Fox is going to sting us a little more than we want it to this year. I hope Robinson is healthy and can be a force against the run like Brockers is up front.

I think Robinson with a full off-season and playing majority of the snaps this year should be pretty close to Brockers' production. We'll miss the leadership no doubt, but people are sleeping on A'shawn a bit I think.. he's still young and has talent. We will miss Fox's pass rush as he was very productive in limited snaps. But if one of our Edge rushers can take the next step, or Floyd plays even better next year we should be fine. All that said I expect us to add Edge or IDL with pick 57 or 88.

Terrill Lewis is So Underrated by you imo.. just a sampler

View: https://youtu.be/

Who has been underrating T Lewis? It was said by scouts he was a 1st round talent, but dropped into the 3rd round due to a long injury history. That's not underrating someone, that's having valid injury concerns that came to fruition in his rookie year. He played in only 8 games as a rookie and gave us 5 total tackles in 8 games. 2 sacks.

The mysteriousness of his problematic knee, which was said by the Rams to be from one of his previous surgeries just added to everyone's concern. Talent doesn't matter if you can't stay on the field. And T Lewis has been injured and missed significant time in 3 of his last 4 years playing football. We cannot count on him to be a starter. IMO we shouldn't even count on big production from him until he proves he can stay healthy, which given his history is a stretch. I think everything T Lewis gives us should be looked at like bonus production. Icing on the cake.

I expect us to target an Edge at pick 57.. like Houston's - Payton Turner, Oklahoma's - Ronnie Perkins, Texas' - Joseph Assai, or Miami's - Quincy Roche. This is a good draft for Edge talent.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Put me in the camp that believes that Lewis’ potential doesn’t mean squat until he demonstrates that he can stay on the damned field.

The End

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Rams carried 4 DL'ers on their PS all season.... something that we have NOT seen before. Marquise Copeland is far meaner & run-stopping tough that pass rusher will enter his 3rd Training Camp this summer. IMO Copeland was not a good fit with Brockers at the 5 tech. Brockers & Fox duo are gone the new main 5 tech is still unknown @ this time. I would bet on Robinson myself but SJD can also play the 5 tech well too.

Thinking that Micheal Hoecht is a pure NT type would be a mistake. MH can play any of the Dl posts he may be the fastest DL'er on the Rams roster. I consider him a serious sleeper prospect in TC. Might even end up playing some fullback since he runs a 4.6 plus in the 40 @ 310 pounds. He was originally an RB.

Need to remember that DL coach Henderson & DE Eric Banks have several years of history together now. Like it was brought out above by CGI Banks did win a 53 master roster position @ the beginning of the regular season before being sent to the PS.

The Wild Card here IMO is how our new DC will see Terrell Lewis. Will Lewis be healthy enough to enter any real consideration as a main contributor in his defense? Just how big & large will Lewis be when he comes in TC this season? He had some serious room for growth on his frame. I have my suspension that he will have added much muscle & be much bigger in size than his rookie season. Lewis might be utilized more like a DE than OLB'er @ the 5 tech post.
Hoecht is my kind of running back! 6'4" hovering around 300 pounds? Get me another one of those and run some people over. Too bad he converted to defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Robinson with a full off-season and playing majority of the snaps this year should be pretty close to Brockers' production. We'll miss the leadership no doubt, but people are sleeping on A'shawn a bit I think.. he's still young and has talent. We will miss Fox's pass rush as he was very productive in limited snaps. But if one of our Edge rushers can take the next step, or Floyd plays even better next year we should be fine. All that said I expect us to add Edge or IDL with pick 57 or 88.
Fox played a ton of snaps. I don't see who can replace that. So even if they're high on Robinson they need a rotational piece.

It could come after the draft I suppose but the pickings are slim. Haven't scrubbed the FA lists to see who's still out there or anything but a guy like Corey Peters would give us some run stuffing ability for the rotation at the very least. Since the Rams haven't done anything though I assume they are thinking draft.

Overall it seems like we have more holes than picks, though admittedly some of the holes might be filled from the roster and/or pushed to next year. Trade down seems likely to me but I'm hoping we get a pick with that first selection. Impact player hopefully there in round two then fill a few holes with some shrewd round 3 and 4 selections and hit the second wave of FA to round things out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fox played a ton of snaps. I don't see who can replace that. So even if they're high on Robinson they need a rotational piece.

It could come after the draft I suppose but the pickings are slim. Haven't scrubbed the FA lists to see who's still out there or anything but a guy like Corey Peters would give us some run stuffing ability for the rotation at the very least. Since the Rams haven't done anything though I assume they are thinking draft.

Overall it seems like we have more holes than picks, though admittedly some of the holes might be filled from the roster and/or pushed to next year. Trade down seems likely to me but I'm hoping we get a pick with that first selection. Impact player hopefully there in round two then fill a few holes with some shrewd round 3 and 4 selections and hit the second wave of FA to round things out.
Last season DE Eric Banks won a DL position (made the master 53 player roster) for the regular season. DL coach Henderson had a previous coaching relationship with Banks in college. DL Coach Henderson was Banks defensive line coach as a freshman in 2016.

Banks was on the regular roster until October 10th, 2020 when Banks was moved to the PS to make room for a much more needed defender.

4 “surprises” that made the LA Rams final 53-man roster for 2020 - Turf Show Times
How 3 LA Rams UDFAs overcame isteep odds to make the 53-man roster (ramblinfan.com)

LA Rams DL questions? Talent still overflowing for 2021 - Page 5 (ramblinfan.com)

MachS

Hall of Fame

Fox played 39% of the snaps on defense, so not really a ton. He managed 6 sacks on 39% snaps so if you double his snap count which would be starter snaps, its safe to assume he'll net at least 10 sacks for Carolina next year. Ebukam only played 35% of snaps last year and seemed invisible compared to Fox. SJD only played 40% of snaps and A'Shawn played 11% with everything he dealt with last year. Gaines played 20%.

I agree we need to add an Edge early in the draft to help with our pass rush. And I think we'll take interior DL pretty early too. My point is with Brockers and Fox gone, its safe to assume both SJD, A'Shawn's, and Gaines' snap counts rising drastically. If we get increased production from all three, PLUS we add a rookie in the draft.. we should be fine on the interior. I'm more concerned with our pass rush overall from the Edge. But Fox's 6 sacks can easily be replaced if Floyd has an even better year, Obo takes a step, T Lewis stays healthy, or we draft an impact Edge at 57... which is what I think we will do with that pick. So we have less depth but I think we will grab a few rookies in the draft and we'll see some players already on the roster step up next year. I guess I'm much less concerned with the interior DL relative to our Edge players.