OFFICIAL 2020 cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
When the question came up who they Rams could trade I thought of Everett but, I don't think it is worth it.

What pick or player do the Rams get for Everett?

Everett is still on his rookie deal so his cost is only about $1.923 Million subtract the signing bonus prorated amount and you save a grand total of $1,289,246 by trading him. Right now he is counting less than !% of the cap amount. He is worth that and more. He could have a solid season if given the chance. If the Rams can't resign him so be it. He is more valuable this year than a late-round pick and more dependable than Reed.

Well, that's a very good point. Chances are you'd be looking at a 5th round pick this year. The only thing I'll add is you gain the benefit of another player under contract for a longer period of time. Which is no small thing sometimes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can see them move Everett, w/ Reed being a one yr stop gap to pair with Higbee, and they draft another cheap TE in the middle rounds.

Fact is they are not going to be able to keep Everett next yr and he gets hurt too often as well.

So move him and draft another TE to have cheap over the next 4 yrs. Plus, you will get a decent pick for Everett that will actually be used for a more critical position. Then you use a later pick on a TE, unless one of the practice squad guys can develop.
I think we're going to see McVay continue that trend back to more 12 personnel looks now that Higbee has emerged as a mismatch in the passing game. So with that change the roster balance increasing to 4 TEs might be a possibility.

Right now it's Higbee > Everett > Mundt > Blanton competing for 3 roster spots. Increasing that to 4 and having the bottom half of the room duking it out with good competition would benefit us. That change would probably come out of hide from the wideouts, which I would be fine with. Not like the bottom roster in that room has done a damn thing for us really just make sure returns are covered.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
don't want reed but don't want to trade Everett either. I think we should try moving him to fb. he was supposed to be a great run after catch guy. he is kind of small for inline blocking but would have a running start out of the fb position plus he can run routes and catch passes out of fb. I don't know because haven't seen it but he might be a good goal line and short yardage back also he certainly has the size for it.

FB? He terrible at blocking now. I dont think that would help his cause to keep his roster spot.

If the Rams dont plan on resigning him than it might be good to get another draft pick since we dont have that many of them

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
don't want reed but don't want to trade Everett either. I think we should try moving him to fb. he was supposed to be a great run after catch guy. he is kind of small for inline blocking but would have a running start out of the fb position plus he can run routes and catch passes out of fb. I don't know because haven't seen it but he might be a good goal line and short yardage back also he certainly has the size for it.

I’d line him at at FB and see how comfortable he is. I’d like to use him like the Raiders did Marcel Reese a few years ago.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But trading Everett and replacing him with Reed is a risky proposition at best given the important of tight ends in NFL offenses today, so it’s perhaps more likely that the Rams view Reed as a low-risk, high-reward complement to their existing depth chart.

Makes sense. I hope it’s more depth interest due to his injury history.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
If the Rams do have plans of moving on from Everett then I think the Bears make a lot of sense. They need another TE who is cheap because of salary cap room. Maybe they could work out a trade that sends Everett and a pick to the Bears for one of their 2nd rounders. I’m not advocating for this to happen, but hypothetically it could work for both teams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams do have plans of moving on from Everett then I think the Bears make a lot of sense. They need another TE who is cheap because of salary cap room. Maybe they could work out a trade that sends Everett and a pick to the Bears for one of their 2nd rounders. I’m not advocating for this to happen, but hypothetically it could work for both teams.
Just a thought but if the Bears want a TE why not just sign Reed and keep their 2nd?

dang

Legend
But they'll take a downgrade and are good giving up a 2nd round pick for it?
Everett would be an upgrade over Burton. i think the suggestion was Everett and. pick (maybe a5th) for a 2nd. the thought being Everett will likely not be extended next year due to other priorities (Kupp, Johnson, Ebukam)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everett would be an upgrade over Burton. i think the suggestion was Everett and. pick (maybe a5th) for a 2nd. the thought being Everett will likely not be extended next year due to other priorities (Kupp, Johnson, Ebukam)
Everett very well may be an upgrade but sorry not a 2nd round pick worth of an upgrade even if you throw a 5th back. There are also several TE that could be an upgrade over Everett that wouldn't take a pick until the 3rd or 4th round in this draft. I get wanting to move Everett but I think some are over valuing him he's never been the guy and is in the last year of his rookie deal.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Reed: Just makes no sense from the Rams pov.

No TE need.
Far too expensive for the cap strapped Rams.
Concussions, 7 of them, make Reed non-viable.

About Everett: Also makes little to no sense from Rams pov.

TE’s typically take 3 years to really hit their stride. So, why trade away a player right on the cusp and start off again with another rookie?
McVay is probably licking his chops at the thought of using both Higbee and Everett in 12 sets.
Wouldn’t get anywhere near his value in trade.

The End

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
I think people who really think that Everett will be traded for anything close to a 2and round pick will be greatly disappointed.

What has he really did to justify giving up 4 years of control of a top 60 player.

If he is traded the most we get is a 4th

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
About Reed: Just makes no sense from the Rams pov.

No TE need.
Far too expensive for the cap strapped Rams.
Concussions, 7 of them, make Reed non-viable.

About Everett: Also makes little to no sense from Rams pov.

TE’s typically take 3 years to really hit their stride. So, why trade away a player right on the cusp and start off again with another rookie?
McVay is probably licking his chops at the thought of using both Higbee and Everett in 12 sets.
Wouldn’t get anywhere near his value in trade.

The End
You trade him because you will not be able to keep him. So you flip him to get something in return that will hopefullyy help this team over the next 3 or 4 yrs vs one year.

That is the game GM's have to play with the cap issues, especially a team with the Rams situation.

Its about maximizing resources.