OFFICIAL 2020 cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Ive been hoping the rams would sign reed for the last 2 years. If theyre talking to him then im thinking an Everett trade is a good possibility since Everett was supposed to be our reed and higbees stepped up his game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Reed is all about cost. If they can get him cheap it's a nice boost to the TE room and will push Everett in his contract season.

Like I said above though if Reed comes to us on the cheap I'd IR his ass and activate him for the playoffs.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
bye bye Everett or Cooks?

Maybe cooks is part of a trade for slay which id be ok with. And since i think we'll be seeing more 2 TE formations, Id rather have woods and kupp as the 2 recievers when they do. Add reed and higbee to that personnel grouping and you have 4 excellent route running options or you can audible to a Gurley run.

Reynolds can be the speed guy when using 3 wideouts

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
bye bye Everett or Cooks?
I don't think the Rams would move anyone to make room for Reed.

It is of course possible they're planning on moving Everett (Cooks isn't going anywhere) and looking at options to not be weak at the position come the draft. But that doesn't make a lot of sense when Reed is so fragile. If he's added it's as a cheap type competition deal IMO. This is probably why they talked to him, to see where he's at in terms of what he's looking for. If it's not affordable I would doubt the Rams are interested.

Ram65

Legend

Reed has never played more than 14 games in a season and averaged 10.8 games played over his first six years. In 2019, Reed suffered his seventh documented concussion in Week 3 of the preseason that kept him sidelined for the entire campaign.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too bad he can't stay healthy as Merlin said IR him and activate him for the playoffs. He runs great routes. Maybe he can help Everett to run better routes. He is so smooth for his size. Almost a year off can help some with the concussions. It would have to be a low contract amount with incentives once the new CBA is done.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

It is of course possible they're planning on moving Everett (Cooks isn't going anywhere) and looking at options to not be weak at the position come the draft. But that doesn't make a lot of sense when Reed is so fragile. If he's added it's as a cheap type competition deal IMO. This is probably why they talked to him, to see where he's at in terms of what he's looking for. If it's not affordable I would doubt the Rams are interested.

Or, due to higbees emergence and if they are to increase the 2 TE sets, Everett and cooks have become more expendable and they are already thinking of potentially trading Everett and are looking at possible replacements which of course a healthy reed fits the bill.

As for cooks, i love him as a ram but 583 yards and 2 tds in 14 games last year hardly says irreplaceable. Id rather have slay in a trade

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or, due to higbees emergence and if they are to increase the 2 TE sets, Everett and cooks have become more expendable and they are already thinking of potentially trading Everett and are looking at possible replacements which of course a healthy reed fits the bill.

As for cooks, i love him as a ram but 583 yards and 2 tds in 14 games last year hardly says irreplaceable. Id rather have slay in a trade
Why would we trade a young cheap TE so that we could sign a guy with a minimum of 7 concussions and just missed an entire year to the latest one? I really want to understand how getting rid of Everett and adding Reed makes us better.

Ram65

Legend

I don't see how the Rams could count on Reed remaining healthy for the entire season. The only mention of Everett being trade has been here by ROD members as far I remember. That was speculation on him being in the last year of his contract and the Rams having many others to resign. IIRC Rams don't save much money this year by trading Cooks but, save cap in later years. I don't know who would want Cooks with his concussion issues.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I can see them move Everett, w/ Reed being a one yr stop gap to pair with Higbee, and they draft another cheap TE in the middle rounds.

Fact is they are not going to be able to keep Everett next yr and he gets hurt too often as well.

So move him and draft another TE to have cheap over the next 4 yrs. Plus, you will get a decent pick for Everett that will actually be used for a more critical position. Then you use a later pick on a TE, unless one of the practice squad guys can develop.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see them move Everett, w/ Reed being a one yr stop gap to pair with Higbee, and they draft another cheap TE in the middle rounds.

Fact is they are not going to be able to keep Everett next yr and he gets hurt too often as well.

So move him and draft another TE to have cheap over the next 4 yrs. Plus, you will get a decent pick for Everett that will actually be used for a more critical position. Then you use a later pick on a TE, unless one of the practice squad guys can develop.

I don't know how much of a pick they'd get for him - I suspect a player for player trade, filling a position of greater need with a part timer, while the other team gets a part timer back in Everett.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't love the move but I agree with @PhillyRam. Signing Reed doesn't count anything against us getting comp picks next year. We will not be resigning Everett and I think past performance has shown he just hasn't been able to break out. Moving him and getting a pick might all be a net positive.

But the concussions scare me.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
don't want reed but don't want to trade Everett either. I think we should try moving him to fb. he was supposed to be a great run after catch guy. he is kind of small for inline blocking but would have a running start out of the fb position plus he can run routes and catch passes out of fb. I don't know because haven't seen it but he might be a good goal line and short yardage back also he certainly has the size for it.

Ram65

Legend
I don't love the move but I agree with @PhillyRam. Signing Reed doesn't count anything against us getting comp picks next year. We will not be resigning Everett and I think past performance has shown he just hasn't been able to break out. Moving him and getting a pick might all be a net positive.

But the concussions scare me.

When the question came up who they Rams could trade I thought of Everett but, I don't think it is worth it.

What pick or player do the Rams get for Everett?

Everett is still on his rookie deal so his cost is only about $1.923 Million subtract the signing bonus prorated amount and you save a grand total of $1,289,246 by trading him. Right now he is counting less than !% of the cap amount. He is worth that and more. He could have a solid season if given the chance. If the Rams can't resign him so be it. He is more valuable this year than a late-round pick and more dependable than Reed.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams Interested In Jordan Reed
February 28th, 2020 at 10:55am CST by Rory Parks
Longtime Redskins tight end Jordan Reed has suffered at least seven concussions since the start of his collegiate career, and his latest concussion forced him to miss the entire 2019 season. He finally cleared the concussion protocol earlier this month, which allowed Washington to release him and save a fair amount of money against the cap.

But despite the troubling head injuries and the fact that he has played in only 13 games over the past three seasons, Reed is committed to continuing his playing career. He may get the opportunity to do so in Los Angeles, as Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports that the Rams have spoken to the 2016 Pro Bowler about a potential contract (Twitter link).
Rams head coach Sean McVay is eminently familiar with Reed, as he was Washington’s tight ends coach in 2013 — Reed’s rookie campaign — and he was the club’s offensive coordinator from 2014-16. Reed’s most productive seasons came under McVay’s watch, but he is far removed from those promising performances, and it’s unclear how much of a difference-maker he can be moving forward.
Plus, Los Angeles has two reasonably talented tight ends on the roster already in Tyler Higbeeand Gerald Everett. Those two combined for 106 catches for 1,142 yards and five TDs in 2019, and Higbee’s 69 receptions were good for third on the team. Everett, a 2017 second-rounder, has played second fiddle to Higbee in each of his first three seasons in the league, so he may be appealing as a trade target for a TE-needy club that is unable to land Austin Hooper or Hunter Henry in free agency (though that is merely speculation at this point).
But trading Everett and replacing him with Reed is a risky proposition at best given the important of tight ends in NFL offenses today, so it’s perhaps more likely that the Rams view Reed as a low-risk, high-reward complement to their existing depth chart.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.