2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
I don't like this move. Never thought we should throw in the farm for a qb, especially when we could have gotten one next year without losing any draft picks since the qb selection will be deep. Whoever we get better start the season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is this real life? I'm okay with this. Doesn't matter if we take Goff or Wentz. I think highly of both.(although, I have a preference towards Goff...I expect the Rams to take Wentz)
I will allow you to remain a Rams fan now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
anigif_enhanced-2299-1426273174-20.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm good with the gamble. I just wish they were that bold with the offense on game days.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Another point as to why I am not a huge fan of this trade (despite hoping for the best and supporting the Rams throughout, of course!): if we wanted to sell the farm, I'd rather have waited until next year and targeted Deshaun Watson. Based on what I have seen, he seems a better prospect.

Could be way off base though. I've only seen highlights of all three (Watson, Goff, Wentz) and don't really know how to evaluate QBs.

Also no guarantee the team with the #1 pick next year is willing to trade it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Snoopy-dancing.jpg

Carson Wentz is gonna be a Ram!!! Can y'all see me doin ma happy dance?!?!!!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Whoever we get better start the season.
It would be seriously epic to trade an entire draft and and half for a QB that doesn't start over Case Keenum. I think the new guy starts. But we should expect a Fisher press conference announcing "Case Keenum is our starting QB" regardless.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another point as to why I am not a huge fan of this trade (despite hoping for the best and supporting the Rams throughout, of course!): if we wanted to sell the farm, I'd rather have waited until next year and targeted Deshaun Watson. Based on what I have seen, he seems a better prospect.

Could be way off base though. I've only seen highlights of all three (Watson, Goff, Wentz) and don't really know how to evaluate QBs.

Also no guarantee the team with the #1 pick next year is willing to trade it.
No guarantee Watson comes out or is even healthy next year. You get a starting QB when you can get one. We kicked the can down the road too many years to play the wishing game again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans

In a stunning move that shakes up the top of the draft and almost ensures that the Rams will be starting a rookie quarterback in 2016, the Titans have traded the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft to Los Angeles, both teams announced Thursday morning.

The Rams, previously selecting at No. 15, are the lowest-picking team in NFL history to trade up to the No. 1 spot. The move, however, did not come cheap.

It is essentially the Rams' karmic payback for fleecing the Redskins back in 2012 for a treasure trove of picks that led to the selection of Robert Griffin III. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).

Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).

The acquisition has to be seen as a coup for new Titans general manager Jon Robinson. Already equipped with his quarterback of the future -- Marcus Mariota -- there were needs across the board that can now be addressed immediately. This year's draft has been viewed as one of the deepest for certain positions in half a decade, and the Titans now have the chance to fill several holes instead of one.

The Rams, on the other hand, are taking a gigantic risk. Prepping for the first season in Los Angeles, the team wanted to arrive on scene with a new face of the franchise. It is almost a guarantee that the Rams will end up with either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff. NFL Media's Albert Breer reports the Rams already have conducted on-campus workouts with both QBs. They likely made the move fearing that the quarterback-needy Browns would take their preferred choice at No. 2.

"It is not often that you have the number one overall pick and we hope to not be in this position again, but we tried to use that pick as currency to work the draft and maximize player acquisition," Robinson said in a statement. "Being able to acquire six picks in the top 76 this year and additional picks next year, not only helps our depth but gives us ammunition to move in this year's draft and next. I know we now have the number 15 pick, but I would say it doesn't knock us out of any player except one. We now have the ammunition to work the draft and acquire players that are good for this football team. In terms of timing, it made sense for us to do this now as it gives us time to adjust and make sure we target more players."

This is the seventh time since 1990 that the No. 1 pick has been traded. The last? 2004, when the Chargers dealt Eli Manning to the Giants.

This is also the most lucrative draft deal since the 2012 RGIII trade, which netted the Rams a bedrock of franchise players.

The Rams have now truly engrained themselves in Hollywood -- so it goes with an aggressive owner in a new market with a team that has not had a winning record since 2003 or a playoff appearance since 2004. The team is also participating in HBO's training camp series, Hard Knocks, this August in an effort to drum up interest and acquire new fans in Los Angeles.

The last time the Rams attempted to select a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick, they ended up with Sam Bradford. At the time, Bradford was viewed as a can't-miss prospect and one of the cleanest quarterbacks to hit the draft since John Elway. Bradford finished his tenure in St. Louis with an 18-30-1 record, a 58.6 completion percentage, 11,065 passing yards, 59 touchdowns and 38 interceptions.

Along with Bradford, the Rams have also started Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Kellen Clemens and A.J. Feely in that timespan.

The deal creates plenty of questions moving forward and shatters just about every mock draft in progress. Among the most interesting storylines:

» What does this mean for the Browns? There was a sense that Cleveland was also interested in one of the top two quarterback prospects. New head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton were a heavy presence at both pro day workouts. The Browns, oddly enough, signed Robert Griffin III this offseason just in case. Also, new Browns exec Sashi Brown said that there was significant interest in the No. 2 pick. Did the Rams try them first? After this trade, is there any interest remaining?

» Are the Chargers, Cowboys, Jaguars and Ravens celebrating right now? If the Browns also select a quarterback atop the draft, there is a chance that some excellent positional players slip down into the top 10 in a trickledown effect that could net these teams some players of desperate need.

» Are we underestimating the Titans moving forward? Tennessee just struck gold, but as we saw from the Rams-Redskins trade in 2012, there is still a chance to miss on a bevy of high picks. Still, Robinson gets the No. 15 overall selection in this year's draft and, at the moment, two first-round picks in next year's draft. He has three second-round picks and two thirds this year, too.

"We wanted to maximize the value of the pick for a long time, I've talked about that for a long time," Robinson said. "To be able to take that pick and use it for what we thought was the best decision for the football team and to acquire that many players and give us the ammunition to move up and down in the draft I would say it doesn't knock us out of moving back up in the first round. Obviously knocks us out of one player but only one player."

Robinson said discussions for the No. 1 pick began at the combine but "heated up" over the last several weeks. It seems like he finally met an offer he couldn't refuse.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I told you qb was going #1 and #2.

Little did i know it would be the Rams at #1.

Now i understand why they took so many olinemen last draft. They were setting up for this season. And Gurley will be 100%.

bluecoconuts

Legend
We traded one of the 2nds from the Bradford trade, and we likely get the 3rd back next year from Jenkins, we have 5 or 6 picks this year, just in the later rounds. They reportedly worked him out last week, they must have fallen in love.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" I just turned on NFLN, YES! IT"S TRUE!! I don't know who I want!
* Wentz
* Goff
* Ramsey
* Bosa
* Bruckner
It's Like it's Christmas, I'm the Only Kid in Toy's-R-Us, and I can have ANYTHING I WANT!!:mrburnsevil:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
This has to signal an opening up of the offense...They could have paid me a bag of chips and a six pack to hand off to Gurley...Little short on receivers, but a franchise guy should make the others around him better...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess a first round receiver is off the board now. Ditto for CB.

How many months of trying to figure out the Rams plan: CB, WR, QB at 15? Second round QB? Now they wasted all of my time. I am pissed!

@jrry32 Good news Jerry! Now you don't have to pick another team this year! :cheers: